Author Topic: All Black legend Jonah Lomu buffs up for bodybuilding debut  (Read 11209 times)

churbro

• Getbig II
  • Don't fear death...fear a life unlived
All Black legend Jonah Lomu buffs up for bodybuilding debut
« on: September 14, 2009, 10:45:34 PM »
JONAH Lomu may no longer be a giant on the rugby field but this week the freshly buffed All Black legend takes on a new challenge in a bodybuilding contest.

The 34-year-old's Test career was cut short by a kidney condition that required a transplant in 2004, but this week he will prove he has not lost his thirst for competition by entering the Wellington bodybuilding championships.

Although his rugby career has failed to reignite since the transplant, Lomu has not given up on the game and has signed for French third division side Marseille Vitrolles, which he is due to join in November.

While getting fit for his latest rugby stint, he was persuaded to give this weekend's body building championships a shot, he told the Dominion Post newspaper.

"I just started out wanting to get back in shape and it's just gone from there,'' Lomu said.

"I've always loved lifting weights, just ask the All Blacks, so it's been a lot of fun.

"I can't wait to get up there on Saturday.''

The veteran of 63 Tests between 1994 and 2002 and star of two World Cups is keen to stay fit for his young son Brayley.

He has dropped his weight from 142kg two years ago, aiming to take the stage at 114kg.

"I've got a seven-month-old boy now and I want him to see me looking healthy and being healthy,'' he said.

"I want my son to see me as a 50-year-old with a six-pack, not a beer gut.''

Of Tongan heritage, Lomu said covering himself in tanning oil will be a new experience.

"I've got the year-round tan but they reckon I need this.''

Signifying Monkey

• Getbig IV
Re: All Black legend Jonah Lomu buffs up for bodybuilding debut
« Reply #1 on: September 14, 2009, 10:50:02 PM »
Why did his career fail to reignite?

churbro

• Getbig II
  • Don't fear death...fear a life unlived
« Reply #2 on: September 14, 2009, 11:10:44 PM »
Too slow and weak to play at the top level again.

The_Hammer

• Getbig V
  • President Barack Obama -- 2 Term U.S. President
« Reply #3 on: September 14, 2009, 11:12:57 PM »
No pics yet?

timfogarty

• Getbig V
  • @fogartyTim on twitter
« Reply #4 on: September 14, 2009, 11:17:28 PM »

m8

• Getbig V
« Reply #5 on: September 14, 2009, 11:20:14 PM »
Dude was a beast at his peak.

Parker

• Getbig V
  • He Sees The Stormy Anger Of The World
« Reply #6 on: September 15, 2009, 12:21:03 AM »
JONAH Lomu may no longer be a giant on the rugby field but this week the freshly buffed All Black legend takes on a new challenge in a bodybuilding contest.

The 34-year-old's Test career was cut short by a kidney condition that required a transplant in 2004, but this week he will prove he has not lost his thirst for competition by entering the Wellington bodybuilding championships.

Although his rugby career has failed to reignite since the transplant, Lomu has not given up on the game and has signed for French third division side Marseille Vitrolles, which he is due to join in November.

While getting fit for his latest rugby stint, he was persuaded to give this weekend's body building championships a shot, he told the Dominion Post newspaper.

"I just started out wanting to get back in shape and it's just gone from there,'' Lomu said.

"I've always loved lifting weights, just ask the All Blacks, so it's been a lot of fun.

"I can't wait to get up there on Saturday.''

The veteran of 63 Tests between 1994 and 2002 and star of two World Cups is keen to stay fit for his young son Brayley.

He has dropped his weight from 142kg two years ago, aiming to take the stage at 114kg.

"I've got a seven-month-old boy now and I want him to see me looking healthy and being healthy,'' he said.

"I want my son to see me as a 50-year-old with a six-pack, not a beer gut.''

Of Tongan heritage, Lomu said covering himself in tanning oil will be a new experience.

"I've got the year-round tan but they reckon I need this.''

He better stick to trying to run 10k races--let alone bbing, Polynesians have a hard time getting ripped, and he'll eff his kidneys

gcb

• Getbig IV
  • you suffer, why?
« Reply #7 on: September 15, 2009, 12:27:18 AM »
Ever heard of one Sonny Schmidt

Parker

• Getbig V
« Reply #8 on: September 15, 2009, 12:42:13 AM »
Ever heard of one Sonny Schmidt

Yep, RIP--but he wasn't that ripped compared to th standard of the day- Dorian, Shawn, Kev, Munzer, Momo, Flex, Chris Chormier, etc, he did okay in a few contests had odd shaped abs when doing the front double bi, but he was never a world beater---I think he turned to drug dealing (coCAINE). Kinda like the Polynesian version of Charles Clairmonte-good but not great.

JasonH

• Getbig V
« Reply #9 on: September 15, 2009, 12:58:28 AM »
Jonah Lomu had his rugby career curtailed because of kidney problems - bodybuilding is the last "sport" he needs. I can see another Don Long in the making here.

Parker

• Getbig V
« Reply #10 on: September 15, 2009, 01:04:11 AM »
Jonah Lomu had his rugby career curtailed because of kidney problems - bodybuilding is the last "sport" he needs. I can see another Don Long in the making here.

exactly...

webcake

• Getbig V
  • Not now chief...
« Reply #11 on: September 15, 2009, 01:07:40 AM »

Was thinking the same thing.

I would hope he would be competing as a natty, but he said he hopes to step on stage at 114kg...........ain't no natties stepping on stage at 114kg, unless he doesn't diet and competes with a beer gut.  :-\
No doubt about it...

just_a_pilgrim

• Getbig IV
« Reply #12 on: September 15, 2009, 01:12:52 AM »
Would have been on gear during his playing days. 114kg is a lot be interesting to see what he looks like. Great physique before and that was while doing all his rugby training.

WillGrant

• Getbig V
  • Ron is Watching
« Reply #13 on: September 15, 2009, 03:17:15 AM »
He doesnt look impressive just big..If NZMM is in the over 90s he will destroy him.

Rampage

• Getbig IV
« Reply #14 on: September 15, 2009, 04:00:52 AM »
Jonah Lomu ?  :o

The man is a legend....search for his youtube videos from the `95 rugby world cup

SNAP !

webcake

• Getbig V
  • Not now chief...
« Reply #15 on: September 15, 2009, 04:02:47 AM »
He doesnt look impressive just big..If NZMM is in the over 90s he will destroy him.

lol, if NZMM is in the over 90's...........that pretty much puts an end to his "natural" claim.
No doubt about it...

WillGrant

• Getbig V
  • Ron is Watching
« Reply #16 on: September 15, 2009, 04:09:24 AM »
lol, if NZMM is in the over 90's...........that pretty much puts an end to his "natural" claim.
NZMM said Jonah was in his class a few weeks ago , maybe I mistook that as him meaning Jonah was competing in the same show and not the same weight class either way having seen Jonah and NZMM s pic from the other night Jamie is miles ahead with condition not the same size obviously but size means shit when you are soft and still look off season. ;D

JasonH

• Getbig V
« Reply #17 on: September 15, 2009, 04:12:38 AM »
Jonah Lomu ?  :o

The man is a legend....search for his youtube videos from the `95 rugby world cup

SNAP !

He was unstoppable in that World Cup - he charged through players like they were nothing. No-one came close to matching his power and strength.

This is why I'm taking it with a huge pinch of salt that he will enter a bodybuilding contest, and an even bigger pinch of salt if he claims natural.

WillGrant

• Getbig V
  • Ron is Watching
« Reply #18 on: September 15, 2009, 04:14:35 AM »
He was unstoppable in that World Cup - he charged through players like they were nothing. No-one came close to matching his power and strength.

This is why I'm taking it with a huge pinch of salt that he will enter a bodybuilding contest, and an even bigger pinch of salt if he claims natural.
Oh he is entering , ill find you a link from todays paper.

webcake

• Getbig V
  • Not now chief...
« Reply #19 on: September 15, 2009, 04:14:40 AM »
He was good......but he was no Shane Webcke.
No doubt about it...

WillGrant

• Getbig V
  • Ron is Watching

Gino30

• Getbig IV
« Reply #21 on: September 15, 2009, 04:20:47 AM »
He was good......but he was no Shane Webcke.

He's a "man mountain"

webcake

• Getbig V
  • Not now chief...
« Reply #22 on: September 15, 2009, 04:21:38 AM »
nice gyno
No doubt about it...

WillGrant

• Getbig V
  • Ron is Watching
« Reply #23 on: September 15, 2009, 04:25:00 AM »
That pic actualy makes him look better the one in the newspaper is larger and more front on without the light hitting his torso and hes 15-20 % easy , smooth as , clearly offseason but good on him for giving it a go.

gib

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #24 on: September 15, 2009, 05:46:27 AM »
I met a New Zealander who told me all sorts of stories about how strong this guy was as a kid.

One story is that at a school athletics champs he picked up the shotput and literally threw it like you would throw a stone or a tennis ball. It went something like 35 meters whereas most kids were putting 5-9 meters with it.

Another story was about him was that he would throw a javlin so far, that extra space needed to be cleared for the distance he could throw it.

Also heard he would do 100 meter sprints with a person on his back!

He could do 100 meter sprint in under 11 seconds at a weight of 110kg.

Was offfered a multimillion dollar contract from Dallas Cowboys and turned it down.

There are more stories about him but I can't recall the others. Mainly about how strong the guy was.

He is apparently of a special kind of native breed of black people in New Zealand (nothing to do with Africans) called "The Maoris"  who decend from local tribes who used to fight to the death with rival tribes. That race (now mixed into the New Zealand with white people but still some exist) gets extremely violent  and agressive (and are very strong) when they drink alcohol, and many are violent criminals now, but also if this kind of person and physique can be harnessed and controlled for athletic purposes, the results can be amazing.

Any New Zealanders out there, have you heard those kinds of stories and any evidence they are really true?