Author Topic: Bush called McCain 'a five-spiral crash,' said Palin 'not remotely prepared.  (Read 1640 times)

Mons Venus

Bush reportedly called McCain 'a five-spiral crash,' said Palin 'not remotely prepared' 

According to a new book -- excerpts of which are to be published in the next issue of GQ Magazine and detailed Tuesday -- former President George W. Bush was incredulous upon learning that Sen. John McCain was having trouble drawing a crowd and called his campaign a "five-spiral crash."

Bush seemed to feel considerable unease with the choice of McCain as well. I think he liked Romney best. (The rumor was that so did Karl Rove.) My guess was the president hadn’t so easily forgotten the endless slights he’d suffered, but there was little he could do. To him, McCain’s defeat would be a repudiation of the Bush administration, so McCain had to win... I was once in the Oval Office when the president was told a campaign event in Phoenix he was to attend with McCain suddenly had to be closed to the press...

“If he doesn’t want me to go, fine,” the president said. “I’ve got better things to do.”

Eventually, someone informed the president that the reason the event was closed was that McCain was having trouble getting a crowd. Bush was incredulous—and to the point. “He can’t get 500 people to show up for an event in his hometown?” he asked. No one said anything, and we went on to another topic. But the president couldn’t let the matter drop. “He couldn’t get 500 people? I could get that many people to turn out in Crawford.” He shook his head. “This is a five-spiral crash, boys.”
Bush also is quoted as saying Alaska Gov. Sarah Palin was "being put into a position she is not even remotely prepared for" after McCain announced her as his vice presidential running mate.

“I’m trying to remember if I’ve met her before. I’m sure I must have.” His eyes twinkled, then he asked, “What is she, the governor of Guam?”

Everyone in the room seemed to look at him in horror, their mouths agape. When Ed told him that conservatives were greeting the choice enthusiastically, he replied, “Look, I’m a team player, I’m on board.” He thought about it for a minute. “She’s interesting,” he said again. “You know, just wait a few days until the bloom is off the rose.” Then he made a very smart assessment.

“This woman is being put into a position she is not even remotely prepared for,” he said. “She hasn’t spent one day on the national level. Neither has her family. Let’s wait and see how she looks five days out.” It was a rare dose of reality in a White House that liked to believe every decision was great, every Republican was a genius, and McCain was the hope of the world because, well, because he chose to be a member of our party.

240 is Back

• Getbig V
  • Complete website for only $300- www.300website.com
Cue the damage contorl machine.

"But Bush was misquoted!!!!"

Eventually, you guys are gonna realize that Ridge, powell, mcclellan, and now Dubya aren't lib traitors.  They're honest about the piece of crap options we had in 08 and the decisions made from 2000 til 2008.

BM OUT

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!

Eventually, you guys are gonna realize that Ridge, powell, mcclellan, and now Dubya aren't lib traitors.  They're honest about the piece of crap options we had in 08 and the decisions made from 2000 til 2008.

I dont know ONE person who like McCain.We certainly liked him better then that little racist in the white house now,but ALL conservatives HATE McCAIN.Whats amazing is Powell and McCain believe in EXACTLY the same things,yet Powell supported Obama.I wonder why?

Soul Crusher

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
  • Doesnt lie about lifting.

How many damn times do we have to go over this? 

McLame was a horrible choice. 

You know I like Palin a ton, but she needs a ton of work to do.  I admit that. 

240 is Back

• Getbig V
You know I like Palin a ton, but she needs a ton of work to do.  I admit that. 

Among top contenders for 2012, where would you rank her among Repub candidates?
1st?   2nd?   30th?

Soul Crusher

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
Among top contenders for 2012, where would you rank her among Repub candidates?
1st?   2nd?   30th?

So far, no.   

I like what i see from Pawlenty. 

Romney is on my shit list because of the health care mess in MA that he created.   

240 is Back

• Getbig V
So far, no.   

I like what i see from Pawlenty. 

Romney is on my shit list because of the health care mess in MA that he created.   

So who are your top 5?  I can easily list the 5 I'd pick from the GOP or the DNC if obama doesn't choose to run again.

can you?

LurkerNoMore

• Getbig V
  • Dumb people think Trump is smart.
So much for Palin having the support of her own party.

BM OUT

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
So who are your top 5?  I can easily list the 5 I'd pick from the GOP or the DNC if obama doesn't choose to run again.

can you?

For the GOP my top 5 are.
1-Mike Pence
2-Ron Paul
3-Romney
4-Newt
5-Palin

GigantorX

• Getbig V
  • GetBig's A-Team is the Light of Truth!
What's to spin? He is pretty much right. The GOP had a few serious contenders to nominate to run for the presidency but instead decided to pick a cartoon character as their nominee and then proceeded to pick a caricature for the VP. McCain would have done fine and even won if they stuck to serious issues and not picked Palin. Instead they went totally partisan, totally cartoon and totally fluff with attacks and Right vs Left stuff. This shift in campaign tactics led to his 'five star flame-out'.

240 is Back

• Getbig V
Re: Bush called McCain 'a five-spiral crash,' said Palin 'not remotely prepared.
« Reply #10 on: September 15, 2009, 07:25:32 AM »
For the GOP my top 5 are.
1-Mike Pence
2-Ron Paul
3-Romney
4-Newt
5-Palin

great list.  WWeird that 33 won't commit to such a list.  maybe he doesn't know much about the candidates?

Soul Crusher

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
Re: Bush called McCain 'a five-spiral crash,' said Palin 'not remotely prepared.
« Reply #11 on: September 15, 2009, 07:27:59 AM »
great list.  WWeird that 33 won't commit to such a list.  maybe he doesn't know much about the candidates?

I like those guys, but Newt is never going to win. 

Ron Paul scares independents who want a rock star. 

To me 2010 is more important than 2012 right now.   

BM OUT

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #12 on: September 15, 2009, 07:31:12 AM »
I like those guys, but Newt is never going to win. 

Ron Paul scares independents who want a rock star. 

To me 2010 is more important than 2012 right now.   

If everything goes EXACTLY the way it is now Obama is going to get a second term.If things get worse he may not.Id love to see the GOP run Newt or someone like him,to just smoke Obama in debates bloody him up,show the libs for what they are,and build for 2016.Newt would be ideal in a role like that.

Soul Crusher

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
« Reply #13 on: September 15, 2009, 07:34:08 AM »
Obama, no matter how bad things get, is going to say he inherited a mess and needs four more years to fix things. 

The idiot voters who dont pay attention are going to buy whatever nonsense he and the MSM put forth.

that is why 2010 is so important.

BM OUT

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #14 on: September 15, 2009, 07:38:49 AM »
Obama, no matter how bad things get, is going to say he inherited a mess and needs four more years to fix things. 

The idiot voters who dont pay attention are going to buy whatever nonsense he and the MSM put forth.

that is why 2010 is so important.

I agree,thats why Id like to see Republicans run Newt.The media,the libs would scream,"hes an extremist".Then,in 2016,they could run Pence and although he is way right,he would look like a moderate compared to Newt[based on the medias hatred of Newt].

2010 is the thing.If they can win the house,or at least get rid of the super majority in the senate,they can stop Obamas plans.

240 is Back

• Getbig V
« Reply #15 on: September 15, 2009, 07:43:03 AM »
If everything goes EXACTLY the way it is now Obama is going to get a second term.

Great point.  He's been 1000% lib, and he's still at 53% by Gallup.  Over half of the the country still loves the guy.

Sorry, you can shove the "MSM" whining up your ass dude.

FOX brags about being the biggest part of the media.  They're mainstream, like it or not.  it's like McDonalds complaining about "mainstream fast food".  You repubs crying about how the media screws you - while bragging about how FOX is #1 - is laughable.

Whining + lube = ass.  Get to it.

Soul Crusher

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
« Reply #16 on: September 15, 2009, 07:50:59 AM »
Great point.  He's been 1000% lib, and he's still at 53% by Gallup.  Over half of the the country still loves the guy.

FOX brags about being the biggest part of the media.  They're mainstream, like it or not.  it's like McDonalds complaining about "mainstream fast food".  You repubs crying about how the media screws you - while bragging about how FOX is #1 - is laughable.

NYT, WP, ABC, NBC, CBS, Newsweek, CNN, MSNBC, NPR, USA Today,  etc.   

240 is Back

• Getbig V
« Reply #17 on: September 15, 2009, 07:51:48 AM »
NYT, WP, ABC, NBC, CBS, Newsweek, CNN, MSNBC, NPR, USA Today,  etc.   

FOX isn't included?  FOX isn't mainstream, you're saying?

"We're #1 in a group we don't technically belong in!"

lalalalalalal dude you're delusional on this one, sorry. 

BM OUT

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #18 on: September 15, 2009, 07:53:34 AM »

FOX is mainstream.They are different only because they are fair.MSNBC is NOT mainstream,they are on the extreme fringe and thats why only the extreme fringe watches them,which is why from 6-9 combined ratings they get beat by Glenn Beck .They are WAAAAAY out of the mainstream.

Soul Crusher

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
« Reply #19 on: September 15, 2009, 07:55:13 AM »
FOX isn't included?  FOX isn't mainstream, you're saying?

"We're #1 in a group we don't technically belong in!"

lalalalalalal dude you're delusional on this one, sorry. 

Idiot - I was saying the other outlets of the news Fox goes up against that are in the tank for Dear Leader.

240 is Back

• Getbig V
« Reply #20 on: September 15, 2009, 07:58:03 AM »
FOX is mainstream.

333386 isn't including them in his list.

I asked him to list the MSM, and he didn't include them.

Soul Crusher

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
« Reply #21 on: September 15, 2009, 08:06:34 AM »
333386 isn't including them in his list.

I asked him to list the MSM, and he didn't include them.

Of course they are you spinster.  however, they are not in the tank like the rest are.   

240 is Back

• Getbig V
« Reply #22 on: September 15, 2009, 08:09:33 AM »
Of course they are you spinster.  however, they are not in the tank like the rest are.   

"in the tank" = a tool of the Democratic party?

Mons Venus

« Reply #23 on: September 15, 2009, 08:12:11 AM »
Rush Limbaugh: 'I Feel Liberated'

Limbaugh declared that he wouldn't carry President Bush's water any more, tearing into him so harshly that Matt Drudge brought out the siren:

I FEEL LIBERATED... I NO LONGER HAVE TO CARRY THE WATER FOR PEOPLE WHO DON'T DESERVE IT !!!

Straw Man

• Getbig V
  • one dwells in nirvana
« Reply #24 on: September 15, 2009, 08:13:34 AM »
FOX is mainstream.They are different only because they are fair.MSNBC is NOT mainstream,they are on the extreme fringe and thats why only the extreme fringe watches them,which is why from 6-9 combined ratings they get beat by Glenn Beck .They are WAAAAAY out of the mainstream.

Don't forget "Balanced"

Fair and Balanced

You know it's true because they tell you so