Author Topic: American Indians look to high court  (Read 500 times)

Dos Equis

• Getbig V
  • I am. The most interesting man in the world. (Not)
American Indians look to high court
« on: September 15, 2009, 11:36:05 AM »
I can see how this would be offensive, but geeze. 

American Indians look to high court
Associated Press

WASHINGTON -- A group of American Indians who find the Washington Redskins name offensive wants the Supreme Court to take up the matter.

The group late Monday asked the justices to review a lower court decision that favored the NFL team on a legal technicality.

The seven Native Americans have been working through the court system since 1992 to have the Redskins trademarks declared invalid. A U.S. Patent and Trademark Office panel ruled in their favor in 1999, but they've since suffered a series of defeats from judges who ruled that the plaintiffs waited too long to bring their suit in the first place.

A lawyer for the group says he'd like to see the court decide once and for all whether the Redskins name defames Native Americans.

http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/news/story?id=4474771

JOHN MATRIX

• Getbig V
  • the Media is the Problem
Re: American Indians look to high court
« Reply #1 on: September 15, 2009, 11:45:59 AM »
well, their entire race was virtually wiped out, and to this day it remains OK to satirize them in any form basically in movies or sports team names. can you imagine if they were jewish? America raped the native americans worse than the germans fucked the jews. they never recovered. for example can you imagine the OUTRAGE if a german soccer team called themselves the Ragin' Rabbis or something!!!
hahah typicaly double standard at play here. we WIPED OUT the native americans in an intentionally genocidal fashion but thats A-OK currntly. the world at least needs to be consistant

Dos Equis

• Getbig V
« Reply #2 on: September 15, 2009, 11:53:08 AM »
well, their entire race was virtually wiped out, and to this day it remains OK to satirize them in any form basically in movies or sports team names. can you imagine if they were jewish? America raped the native americans worse than the germans fucked the jews. they never recovered. for example can you imagine the OUTRAGE if a german soccer team called themselves the Ragin' Rabbis or something!!!
hahah typicaly double standard at play here. we WIPED OUT the native americans in an intentionally genocidal fashion but thats A-OK currntly. the world at least needs to be consistant

Except we don't have any of those things.  I don't think the team name Redskins is intended to "defame Native Americans," which is what they want a court to conclude.   

tu_holmes

• Getbig V
  • Robot
« Reply #3 on: September 15, 2009, 11:59:11 AM »
The term "Redskin" is a derogatory term. You think the "Atlanta Negroes" would fly today? How about the "New York Kykes"?

red·skin    audio  (rdskn)  KEY 

NOUN:
Offensive Slang

Used as a disparaging term for a Native American.

Dos Equis

• Getbig V
« Reply #4 on: September 15, 2009, 12:06:07 PM »
The term "Redskin" is a derogatory term. You think the "Atlanta Negroes" would fly today? How about the "New York Kykes"?

red·skin    audio  (rdskn)  KEY 

NOUN:
Offensive Slang

Used as a disparaging term for a Native American.

My dictionary says "often disparaging and offensive"  "a North American Indian" 

We don't have "Atlanta Negroes" or "New York Kykes" teams, so I can't say whether they would fly or not. 

But we have had the Washington Redskins since 1937.  Like I said, I can understand why some would consider the name offensive, but I don't think the team name, or its logo, "defame" Native Americans.   

Hugo Chavez

• Getbig V
« Reply #5 on: September 15, 2009, 12:33:04 PM »
My dictionary says "often disparaging and offensive"  "a North American Indian" 

We don't have "Atlanta Negroes" or "New York Kykes" teams, so I can't say whether they would fly or not. 

But we have had the Washington Redskins since 1937.  Like I said, I can understand why some would consider the name offensive, but I don't think the team name, or its logo, "defame" Native Americans.   
really, you can't say if the Atlanta Negroes or NY Kykes would fly?  No guess on that huh ::)  Just to many unknowns to call it ::) uh.. yea bb, sure thing....  whatever you say....

Dos Equis

• Getbig V
« Reply #6 on: September 15, 2009, 12:39:21 PM »
really, you can't say if the Atlanta Negroes or NY Kykes would fly?  No guess on that huh ::)  Just to many unknowns to call it ::) uh.. yea bb, sure thing....  whatever you say....

No.  No.  Yes.  But who gives a rip?  Besides you.  The issue is the Washington Redskins and whether that team name defames Native Americans, not whether I have a guess about a fictitious name of a nonexistent team. 

Eyeball Chambers

• Getbig V
  • Would you hold still? You're making me fuck up...
« Reply #7 on: September 15, 2009, 01:23:42 PM »

You surprise me every day...  :o
S