Author Topic: Peter Putnam: The next big thing or lucky to be a *pro* with a contract?  (Read 6423 times)

Bill Loguidice

• Getbig II
Re: Peter Putnam: The next big thing or lucky to be a *pro* with a contract?
« Reply #25 on: September 17, 2009, 11:53:10 AM »
I don't get the whole AMI/media fascination with Peter Putnam. The whole eye thing is disconcerting. Comparatively, his physique is mediocre and by my best guess he'll be a middle-of-the-pack pro in the 202 and unders and out of the top 10 in any decent open lineup. He has structural issues and a relatively weak back. At his age he probably has only a few years to make some radical, radical improvements.  It's been done before, but that's quite rare. My only thinking to him getting a contract and getting so much coverage is because his wife is extremely marketable and they seem to come as a package deal more or less.

Of course I'm speaking "professionally" with all of this, the public figure aspect, not the personal aspect.  I'm sure he's a great guy outside of my strictly professional aspects critique.

tendonitis

• Getbig V
« Reply #26 on: September 17, 2009, 11:58:00 AM »
is that photoshopped?

it's not photoshopped, that's from the 08 Nationals when he "won" his pro card

pathetic

kiwiol

• Getbig V
  • Who is John Galt?
« Reply #27 on: September 17, 2009, 11:59:45 AM »
Ok, I'll play...

If it's 'politics', what's the angle? 

Other than Peter (and his family), who stands to benefit from his status as a pro?  What sort of 'extras' are included that would make it worthwhile to create a conspiracy to elevate his stature prematurely or completely without merit? 

I think the guy is totally down-to-earth and is deserving of the success that has come his way.  Does it take good luck and timing?  Absolutely, but the same applies to everyone else out there, too.

But, I'm willing to listen.  If there's a conspiracy in place, who is involved and why?

Very logical post. Although I suppose when there's hundreds thousands of dollars at stake, buying off judges and fixing contests isn't too far fetched a possibility.

Special Ed

• Toms
  • Getbig V
  • Special Ed Forever!
« Reply #28 on: September 17, 2009, 12:06:42 PM »
There are a few reasons why they signed him as an amateur...one of which was they took an educated guess that he would get a pro card...nothing too crazy there.  

Other times they took a gamble and lost (see: Federov)
I guess this makes sense...until you apply logic, which would dictate that there were not only ten other better amateur bodybuilders more likely to win their Pro Card, there were also at least ten FAR better PRO BODYBUILDERS such as Troy Alves, Mark Dugdale and Lee Priest (to name just three) that were without a publishing contract at the time Putnam was signed.

But again, if AMI/Weider was looking for the best, blonde-haired, blue-eyed, amateur bodybuilder without facial tattoos, bibles, or back width, they definitely got the right guy!
BigNationRadio.com

emn1964

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #29 on: September 17, 2009, 12:09:45 PM »
I guess this makes sense...until you apply logic, which would dictate that there were not only ten other better amateur bodybuilders more likely to win their Pro Card, there were also at least ten FAR better PRO BODYBUILDERS such as Troy Alves, Mark Dugdale and Lee Priest (to name just three) that were without a publishing contract at the time Putnam was signed.

But again, if AMI/Weider was looking for the best, blonde-haired, blue-eyed, amateur bodybuilder without facial tattoos, bibles, or back width, they definitely got the right guy!

Peter loves him some jeebus. . .

Chick

• The Pros
  • Getbig V
  • sometimes you get the elevator, somtimes the shaft
« Reply #30 on: September 17, 2009, 12:34:03 PM »

10 others? OK, if you say so...

As I said...it was ONE of the reasons.

Troy and Mark were both on board at AMI at the time, Priest......no explanation necessary.

jaejonna

• Getbig V
  • Head Asian of Getbig
« Reply #31 on: September 17, 2009, 12:39:08 PM »
Peter Putnam has a back of a thirteen year old
L

Special Ed

• Toms
  • Getbig V
  • Special Ed Forever!
« Reply #32 on: September 17, 2009, 12:42:23 PM »
10 others? OK, if you say so...

As I said...it was ONE of the reasons.

Troy and Mark were both on board at AMI at the time, Priest......no explanation necessary.
So you're saying that AMI's decision to DROP ALVES and DUGDALE while KEEPING a still-amateur PUTNAM was because they were HOPING Putnam would eventually win his Pro Card without any inkling or 'heads up' that it would happen? Uhh...okay.

Easy to see how dumping two established Pros with good physiques and reputations for a far lesser amateur bodybuilder makes sense...not.

But indulge us...tell us some of the OTHER reasons...
BigNationRadio.com

Mr Nobody

• Getbig V
  • Falcon gives us new knowledge every single day.
« Reply #33 on: September 17, 2009, 12:47:43 PM »
Its all for the money, because he is a young nice looking guy that will look good on the mag covers, just another way for the IFBB give the others a nice shaft.

Chick

• The Pros
  • Getbig V
« Reply #34 on: September 17, 2009, 01:08:58 PM »
So you're saying that AMI's decision to DROP ALVES and DUGDALE while KEEPING a still-amateur PUTNAM was because they were HOPING Putnam would eventually win his Pro Card without any inkling or 'heads up' that it would happen? Uhh...okay.

Easy to see how dumping two established Pros with good physiques and reputations for a far lesser amateur bodybuilder makes sense...not.

But indulge us...tell us some of the OTHER reasons...

One had nothing to do with the other, and everyone under contract is kept/ not kept based on many factors....none of which have anything to do with whether or not a amateur is on board...

You're reaching......far

That said, they did have an "inkling" that he would turn pro...it's called his contest history. It's YOU that seems to think the decision to sign Peter was based SOLEY on him turning pro....Weider/ AMI has signed many amatur athletes in the past, some of which didnt even compete much, let alone for a pro card.

njflex

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
  • HEY PAISAN
« Reply #35 on: September 17, 2009, 01:48:54 PM »
HE also has a good build that appeals to the masses it could be toned down for m/f,then flex a more hardcore and in contest diet mode for different reader.and thats one aspect,his personality seems pretty cool.

Ron

• Getbigistrator
  • Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #36 on: September 17, 2009, 02:05:06 PM »
Putnum is probably the best example of what's good in bodybuilding today.  A nice guy, well grounded, beautiful wife and a good physique.

AMI was gambling, like any magazine does, that the person they sign will rise up in the rankings.  Peter looked good, but not great, and was blasted in his IFBB pro debuts. 

Now the question is whether or not he can do any damage in the 202lb Class!

He needs to take a whole year off, and regroup!

Oaf

• Getbig II
  • Getbig!
« Reply #37 on: September 17, 2009, 03:25:45 PM »
Question for Chick, do you think Peter should have won the 2008 show at which he turned pro?

Chick

• The Pros
  • Getbig V
« Reply #38 on: September 17, 2009, 03:28:21 PM »
Question for Chick, do you think Peter should have won the 2008 show at which he turned pro?

Yes...barley.

I actually thought he should have won the show before that one, when he lost..

Mr Nobody

• Getbig V
« Reply #39 on: September 17, 2009, 03:29:27 PM »
Yes...barley.

I actually thought he should have won the dhow before that one when he lost..
Maybe a special invite to a pro card?

just_a_pilgrim

• Getbig IV
« Reply #40 on: September 17, 2009, 03:45:08 PM »
Yes...barey.

I actually thought he should have won the dhow before that one when he lost..

Yah he was shredded in that show and should have won

Chick

• The Pros
  • Getbig V
« Reply #41 on: September 17, 2009, 03:48:01 PM »
Maybe a special invite to a pro card?

??

Mr.1derful

• Getbig V
« Reply #42 on: September 17, 2009, 04:49:27 PM »

AMI has every right to sign whomever they choose, for whatever reason.  Ultimately, the chips will fall where they may, and it will be determined whether it is a smart business decision or not. 

Rinc

• Time Out
  • Getbig III
« Reply #43 on: September 17, 2009, 05:21:07 PM »
The only thing I like about Putznum is the girl next to him.
Mr. O 09' Jay Cutler

Tre

• Expert
  • Getbig V
  • "What you don't have is a career."
« Reply #44 on: September 17, 2009, 05:59:53 PM »
They benefit by having someone's idea of a Golden Boy EXCLUSIVELY grace their covers and magazines.

The same way MD stands to benefit if their Golden Boy BRANDEN RAY were to win his Pro Card. Except Branden doesn't have blonde hair. Or Blue Eyes. Or a smokin' hot wife. Or a contract with AMI/Weider. But hey, he's still got that job at CNN! Right? Oh...

C'mon, man.  I love a good backroom deal as much as the next guy, but do readers believe that all it takes is a good (not 'great', according to the peanut gallery) physique, blonde hair/blue eyes, and a hot wife to be propped up as a star? 

Surely there are other very good bodybuilders with blonde hair, blue eyes, and hot wives who could appear on the covers of the other magazines, contract or no contract. 

Do I think some bodybuilders have been 'overpromoted' by certain companies for reasons I couldn't understand?  Yeah, but that's what business is about.  A company makes an investment in something or someone and then does whatever it can to get a return on that.  I guess I'm just not seeing the overpromotion of Putnam.  So, he and his wife had a cover...ok.  What was the problem with that?  He's a Weider competitor and they put one of their guys on the cover of their mag.  Seems pretty reasonable to me. 

Tre

• Expert
  • Getbig V
  • "What you don't have is a career."
« Reply #45 on: September 17, 2009, 06:01:16 PM »
Very logical post. Although I suppose when there's hundreds thousands of dollars at stake, buying off judges and fixing contests isn't too far fetched a possibility.

So, are you arguing that his placings have been influenced more by his affiliations than by his onstage performance? 

And if so, how did that benefit the 'affiliations'? 

Chick

• The Pros
  • Getbig V
« Reply #46 on: September 17, 2009, 06:08:01 PM »
C'mon, man.  I love a good backroom deal as much as the next guy, but do readers believe that all it takes is a good (not 'great', according to the peanut gallery) physique, blonde hair/blue eyes, and a hot wife to be propped up as a star? 

Surely there are other very good bodybuilders with blonde hair, blue eyes, and hot wives who could appear on the covers of the other magazines, contract or no contract. 

Do I think some bodybuilders have been 'overpromoted' by certain companies for reasons I couldn't understand?  Yeah, but that's what business is about.  A company makes an investment in something or someone and then does whatever it can to get a return on that.  I guess I'm just not seeing the overpromotion of Putnam.  So, he and his wife had a cover...ok.  What was the problem with that?  He's a Weider competitor and they put one of their guys on the cover of their mag.  Seems pretty reasonable to me. 

Your actually using logic, Tre....it's lost on the ignorant

kiwiol

• Getbig V
  • Who is John Galt?
« Reply #47 on: September 17, 2009, 07:46:42 PM »
So, are you arguing that his placings have been influenced more by his affiliations than by his onstage performance? 

No, I was being sarcastic with the second sentence. I am with you - I don't think contests are fixed. And even though Ed says they are doing it so Putnam will grace the mag covers exclusively, how many covers can he do in one year and even if he does, what kind of difference is it going to make? Sales aren't going to double or triple. If it will make a difference, it certainly won't be enough to warrant buying off a whole judging panel and risking exposure from displeased individuals later on, which would lead to a real scandal.

Peter isn't one of the more impressive pros, but he was at the right place at the right time and was better that day than those whom he competed against. Which is why he won.

regmac

• Getbig V
« Reply #48 on: September 17, 2009, 07:50:38 PM »
Another Porter Cottrell!!!
((-::

Mr Nobody

• Getbig V
« Reply #49 on: September 17, 2009, 08:04:35 PM »
??
Sorry I forgot he already got the special invite...