Author Topic: Russia says its missile plans in Europe not shelved (Reuters)  (Read 795 times)

James

Russia says its missile plans in Europe not shelved (Reuters)
« on: September 21, 2009, 08:25:23 AM »
NYT: Russia Says Its Missile Plan Not Shelved

ZURICH (Reuters) - Russia's top general said on Monday that plans to deploy missiles in an enclave next to Poland have not been shelved, despite a decision by the United States to rethink plans for missile defence in Europe.

President Barack Obama's decision to scrap a land-based missile defence system has been welcomed by Russia, whose leaders threatened to deploy short-range Iskander missiles in Kaliningrad if the United States refused to drop the plans.

The Kremlin always said Russia would only deploy the missiles as a counter-measure if Washington went ahead with its missile shield. Moscow said the shield threatened its national security and would upset the strategic balance in Europe.

On Saturday Russian deputy defence minister Vladimir Popovkin said in an interview that "naturally we will scrap the measures that Russia planned to take" in response to the shield and specifically named Iskander deployment as one of them.

When asked about the matter on Monday, the chief of Russia's general staff, Nikolai Makarov, said: "There has been no such decision. It should be a political decision. It should be made by the president."

"They (the Americans) have not given up the anti-missile shield; they have replaced it with a sea-based component," Makarov told reporters on a plane from Moscow to Zurich. The general was accompanying President Dmitry Medvedev on a trip to Switzerland.

It is highly unusual in Russia for two senior officials to contradict each other publicly on a sensitive matter of national and international importance.

It was not immediately clear why Makarov had done so, though some sources suggested the general might have wanted to emphasise that such an important decision could only be taken by the president and should not be announced by a deputy minister.

http://www.nytimes.com/reuters/2009/09/21/world/international-uk-usa-shield-russia.html?_r=1

Soul Crusher

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
  • Doesnt lie about lifting.
Re: Russia says its missile plans in Europe not shelved (Reuters)
« Reply #1 on: September 21, 2009, 08:38:26 AM »
Wow, what a surprise. 

Hereford

• Getbig V
« Reply #2 on: September 21, 2009, 09:55:22 AM »
Why do we care what the Russians or anyone else thinks about our defensive and fighting capabilities? This is like training for a street-fight, and negotiating away your right to block punches before the brawl.

Soul Crusher

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
« Reply #3 on: September 21, 2009, 09:56:34 AM »
Why do we care what the Russians or anyone else thinks about our defensive and fighting capabilities? This is like training for a street-fight, and negotiating away your right to block punches before the brawl.

Because Barry wants to be loved and thinks that by dropping our pants for a smack in the nuts, all will be well. 

240 is Back

• Getbig V
  • Complete website for only $300- www.300website.com
« Reply #4 on: September 21, 2009, 11:37:27 AM »

Do you believe Obama wants to drop all nukes from our arsenal. 

Seriously, yes or no?

headhuntersix

• Getbig V
  • Our forefathers would be shooting by now
« Reply #5 on: September 21, 2009, 11:40:53 AM »
Yes...Barry wants unilateral disarmament...did u miss the campaign. Really dude u need to read ur history. What is the platform of the hard left? What are some of their goals as far as foreign policy, nukes etc....after ur done screaming get back to us.
L

Soul Crusher

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
« Reply #6 on: September 21, 2009, 11:41:39 AM »

Do you believe Obama wants to drop all nukes from our arsenal. 

Seriously, yes or no?

100000% 240.

headhuntersix

• Getbig V
« Reply #7 on: September 21, 2009, 11:49:08 AM »
240 don't respond unless u've done ur research. Look at the anti-nuke protest movement in the late 70's and 80's. Look at how that was run and embraced by the left here and in Europe. Look at how some of those same people also back Obama and shaped his thinking. Understand that the movement was funded and encouraged by the KGB.
L

Soul Crusher

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
« Reply #8 on: September 21, 2009, 11:53:23 AM »
240 don't respond unless u've done ur research. Look at the anti-nuke protest movement in the late 70's and 80's. Look at how that was run and embraced by the left here and in Europe. Look at how some of those same people also back Obama and shaped his thinking. Understand that the movement was funded and encouraged by the KGB.

240 is still drunk on the kool-aide. 

I love seeing dems day by day seeing and realizing the disaster they have unleashed.  Its both sad and hysterical at the same time.

Hillary never would have done this.     

Hereford

• Getbig V
« Reply #9 on: September 21, 2009, 11:54:38 AM »
Ya, why in the f*ck would a european push for wanting to be defenseless against the most aggressive empire in history?

That doesn't make any sense. Must be liberalism...

240 is Back

• Getbig V
  • Complete website for only $300- www.300website.com
« Reply #10 on: September 21, 2009, 12:01:06 PM »

Why did carter and clinton fail to get rid of all the nukes?

I dont believe for a second Obama plans to.  Get everyone to scale back?  great idea.  no country with them will ever drop them completely.

headhuntersix

• Getbig V
« Reply #11 on: September 21, 2009, 12:07:25 PM »
240..come on. First off u need to bone up on Carter and look at the SALT talks....that was the road to disarming. There was no way in hell Carter could sell that, nor was that his intention. We were in the middle of the Cold War. Once the Russians invaded Afghanistan, Carter felt betrayed and knew full well that the Russians were full of shit. The Republicans could have said him the trouble. Clinton cut what he needed to but that was never his aim either. Clinton didn't control Congress anyway and was never as radical as Barry.
L

MB_722

• Getbig V
  • RIP Keith
« Reply #12 on: September 21, 2009, 12:16:16 PM »
Understand that the movement was funded and encouraged by the KGB.

I think you are wrong with this.

Soul Crusher

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
« Reply #13 on: September 21, 2009, 12:18:26 PM »
240..come on. First off u need to bone up on Carter and look at the SALT talks....that was the road to disarming. There was no way in hell Carter could sell that, nor was that his intention. We were in the middle of the Cold War. Once the Russians invaded Afghanistan, Carter felt betrayed and knew full well that the Russians were full of shit. The Republicans could have said him the trouble. Clinton cut what he needed to but that was never his aim either. Clinton didn't control Congress anyway and was never as radical as Barry.

The people who voted for Obama were fooled and are still too stubborn to admit it.

They thought "change" meant a change from GWB - which we needed, but did not realize that the people like myself saying Barry was a marxist, were far more in tune with reality than the MSM was.  

Its unreal to see people still defend some of the garbage coming from this admn.  Look 240 has a huge amount of personal capital tied up in Barry's success because he voted for him and has shille dofr months on every stupid thing he has done.  I get that.  

But when UE stays above 10% far into 2010 and 2011, people like 240 will eventually be forced to confront the reality that "Hope & Change" is a slogan, not a coherent plan to deal with real issues.  

I like 240, he is cool people, but even he is going to have to realize the grave mistakes he has made in defending Dear Leaders' marxist nonsense.      

MB_722

• Getbig V
  • RIP Keith
« Reply #14 on: September 21, 2009, 12:29:03 PM »
Red-baiting the Nuclear Freeze Movement

Information from John Rees and Western Goals led to embarrassment when President Ronald Reagan charged the nuclear freeze campaign was, "inspired by not the sincere, honest people who want peace, but by some people who want the weakening of America and so are manipulating honest and sincere
people." Reagan saw freeze activists as dupes or traitors. When asked for proof, reporters were told much of the information was secret, but that one public source was a "Reader's Digest" article by John Barron. Barron had based the allegation in part on an article by right- wing spy John Rees. Rees had based his article on unsubstantiated red-baiting allegations made during McCarthy period hearings. Reagan later openly criticized those who
brought down Joseph McCarthy. A State Department charge that the Women's International League for Peace and Freedom was a "communist front" was retracted when traced to a Rees report published by Western Goals Foundation.

To prove the nuclear freeze is a Soviet plot, Rees in "Information Digest" noted that public remarks on disarmament by a member of the Soviet Central Committee of the Communist Party bear a "striking similarity" to materials produced by the Mobilization for Survival, Coalition for a New Foreign and Military Policy, and U.S. Peace Council. Furthermore, Rees noted that several of the organizations involved in the nuclear freeze campaign were
identified by witnesses during the McCarthy era as communist fronts. This is the type of material that appears in his book, The War Called Peace: The Soviet Peace Offensive, which was the Bible of the anti-Freeze movement.

Rees gained considerable credibility in Washington, D.C. during the Reagan years as an expert on national security issues. He was quoted as "authoritative" by Sam Francis, a key aide on the Senate Subcommittee on Security and Terrorism, which held hearings during the early part of the Reagan Administration into alleged subversive conspiracies by leftists.

"What is truly frightening," explained Rachel Rosen DeGolia of the Chicago Committee to Defend the Bill of Rights, "is that Sam Francis also wrote a report for the Heritage Foundation where he suggested the U.S. intelligence agencies utilize information from private security and intelligence groups which are not hampered by constitutional and regulatory safeguards that protect citizens from governmental invasions of privacy." She points out that information-collecting techniques that cannot legally be employed by governmental investigators are sometimes permitted private security forces.

In fact, the private political spy network was re-plugged directly into governmental intelligence units by the Clinton Administration so they could to supply information not otherwise obtainable legally by the government investigators.
http://www.geocities.com/CapitolHill/7078/afib-pspies.txt

Soul Crusher

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
« Reply #15 on: September 21, 2009, 12:31:40 PM »
TO ME:

Soul Crusher

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
« Reply #16 on: September 21, 2009, 12:34:38 PM »
http://www.geocities.com/CapitolHill/7078/afib-pspies.txt

To Me:

If my next door comes to my house and tries to convince me to give up my AR, 870, G17 & 26, 10/22, AK, Saiga, etc in the name of neighborhood peace when I am not posing a threat to anyone or threating other negihbors, I will tell them to fuck off.

Why would I ever go to my NDN and unilaterally offer to give up all my stuff for no reason when two houses down I know those people are arming themselves to the teeth?  

headhuntersix

• Getbig V
« Reply #17 on: September 21, 2009, 12:36:07 PM »
I think you are wrong with this.

No...read the Sword and the Shield...the KGB funneled money to the various movements. These groups didn't know in most cases were the cash was coming from..I'd say none of them knew.
L