Author Topic: woah! best form on heavy barbell curls ive ever seen!  (Read 4912 times)

NaturalWonder83

• Getbig V
woah! best form on heavy barbell curls ive ever seen!
« on: September 21, 2009, 01:07:35 PM »
w

INSOMNIA

• Competitors II
  • Getbig IV
  • we're all mad here
Re: woah! best form on heavy barbell curls ive ever seen!
« Reply #1 on: September 21, 2009, 01:10:37 PM »
he should at least wear a belt if he's gonna pause at the bottom like that. he's just ASKING for a hernia...imo

NaturalWonder83

• Getbig V
« Reply #2 on: September 21, 2009, 01:11:26 PM »
he should at least wear a belt if he's gonna pause at the bottom like that. he's just ASKING for a hernia...imo
what do u mean ???
w

JasonH

• Getbig V
« Reply #3 on: September 21, 2009, 01:16:13 PM »
Wouldn't say they're that heavy - still good form though.

INSOMNIA

• Competitors II
  • Getbig IV
  • we're all mad here
« Reply #4 on: September 21, 2009, 01:26:25 PM »
what do u mean ???

all the intra-abdominal pressure caused from hoisting the weight up from that position, each and every rep. to work the muscle effectively, you should only be working with the top 80% of the movement anyway, always keeping a slight bend on the elbows, esp at the bottom. it is far more effective because you dont lose tension on the muscle at the bottom, like he demonstrates here each time. Also, I think the straight bar sucks for curls, especially heavy ones. Too much pressure on the wrists IMO..very awkward movement.

NaturalWonder83

• Getbig V
« Reply #5 on: September 21, 2009, 01:30:32 PM »
all the abdominal pressure caused from hoisting the weight up from that position. to work the muscle effectively, you should only be working with the top 80% of the movement anyway, always keeping a slight bend on the elbows. It is far more effective because you dont lose tension on the muscle at the bottom, like he demonstrates here each time. Also, I think the straight bar sucks. Too much pressure on the wrists IMO..very awkward movement.
ok i see.thank u for the explanation

so what do u like instead of barbell curls?
w

spinnis

« Reply #6 on: September 21, 2009, 01:57:48 PM »
Thats really really good form imo.

INSOMNIA

• Competitors II
  • Getbig IV
  • we're all mad here
« Reply #7 on: September 21, 2009, 01:59:12 PM »
ok i see.thank u for the explanation

so what do u like instead of barbell curls?

The EZ bar, because it isolates the biceps much better, and puts the joints in a more natural angle. Having said that though..not all EZ bars are created equal. Some of them suck, the newer ones especially. Gimme an old-school one.  :)

#1 Klaus fan

• Getbig V
« Reply #8 on: September 21, 2009, 02:00:39 PM »
Isn't that "only" 135.

#1 Klaus fan

• Getbig V
« Reply #9 on: September 21, 2009, 02:02:43 PM »

But since when belt has prevented hernias? Belt = easy fix. Not a real answer.

INSOMNIA

• Competitors II
  • Getbig IV
  • we're all mad here
« Reply #10 on: September 21, 2009, 02:04:14 PM »
But since when belt has prevented hernias? Belt = easy fix. Not a real answer.

true but i also mentioned adjustments in form as well. I was saying to use a belt if hes going to keep working with THAT form.

His abdomnal wall is eventually going to tear at that rate, heavy weights or not. A belt will prevent it or delay it at least.

Marty Champions

• Getbig V
« Reply #11 on: September 21, 2009, 02:04:34 PM »
anybodys thats ever done a good bulk should be able to curl or swing 185 and throw up 135 like nobodys buisness
A

Marty Champions

• Getbig V
« Reply #12 on: September 21, 2009, 02:05:56 PM »
cut the bullshit on hernias  ::)

only roiders tend to get shit like thaat, i understand some natties get them too, you can get a hernia or pull your back from picking up a penny off the ground
A

#1 Klaus fan

• Getbig V
« Reply #13 on: September 21, 2009, 02:14:02 PM »
anybodys thats ever done a good bulk should be able to curl or swing 185 and throw up 135 like nobodys buisness

I agree. The thing is though, there are so many clueless curl monkeys who don't know how to train that as soon as someone curls a decent weight people think he is genetic marvel.

disco_stu

• Getbig V
  • I'm a llama!
« Reply #14 on: September 21, 2009, 03:17:16 PM »
The EZ bar, because it isolates the biceps much better, and puts the joints in a more natural angle. Having said that though..not all EZ bars are created equal. Some of them suck, the newer ones especially. Gimme an old-school one.  :)

you need to learn about about anatomy before you give out free advice.

the EZ bar is counter productive to biceps movements as it rotates the wrist and results in less biceps recruitment.

the idea for biceps involvement is to have the body of the bi do most of the movement, without involving secondary groups like the forearms. having the wrist not fully pronated means that the forearms are more involved.

the straight bar is far superior to EZ curl bar except for a small range of movement where it becomes uncomfortable due to it not being able to move with the arc and therefore placing some awkwardness on the wrists.

however its far more effective if used, and by far the most effective is dumb bells as you get the best of both worlds, as long as you pronate the hand through the ROM.

hope this helps.

disco_stu

• Getbig V
  • I'm a llama!
« Reply #15 on: September 21, 2009, 03:18:41 PM »
cut the bullshit on hernias  ::)

only roiders tend to get shit like thaat, i understand some natties get them too, you can get a hernia or pull your back from picking up a penny off the ground

for once we agree. this bit about hernias is just BS. the guy dont need a belt repping like that. his form is sound, the weight isnt too heavy for him.

disco_stu

• Getbig V
  • I'm a llama!
« Reply #16 on: September 21, 2009, 03:21:50 PM »
true but i also mentioned adjustments in form as well. I was saying to use a belt if hes going to keep working with THAT form.

His abdomnal wall is eventually going to tear at that rate, heavy weights or not. A belt will prevent it or delay it at least.

you really think that "competitors" in your title gives you right to make dumb ass comments like you actually understand how to train the human body dont you?

some of the crap you're writing is hilarious. quite entertaining actually.

but unfortunately propagates the stereotype of the moron BB. i picture you as a steroid using monkey see monkey do who reads flex (for the pictures as you couldnt be reading it properly otherwise you wouldnt make such comments) and copies everything someone bigger does. am i right?

disco_stu

• Getbig V
  • I'm a llama!
« Reply #17 on: September 21, 2009, 03:27:52 PM »
all the intra-abdominal pressure caused from hoisting the weight up from that position, each and every rep. to work the muscle effectively, you should only be working with the top 80% of the movement anyway, always keeping a slight bend on the elbows, esp at the bottom. it is far more effective because you dont lose tension on the muscle at the bottom, like he demonstrates here each time. Also, I think the straight bar sucks for curls, especially heavy ones. Too much pressure on the wrists IMO..very awkward movement.

i cant help myself.

if you want to give advice, make sure it's sound.

first off, the top 80% is completre BS. in a free weight exercise, much of the force is gone at about the 70% up position as the moment (the horizontal distance from the pivot to the weight) is very small.

The "weight" that the muscle sees, is in fact, the moment. This is the case for EVERY exercise. So, the maximum moment in every exercise is the position where the weight is at a max from the pivot- where it is perpendicular to gravity.

So, if you want to maximse your energy, you need to be working about the max moment..say 30% each side, maybe 35%. i.e. no rest at the top, no rest at the bottom.

the problem is that this is very intense. Rest pause- which is a type of what this guy is doing, is completely fine. Also, as he swings to bring the bar up from the position of least mechanical advantage (where the weight is in line or behind the pivot AND against gravity), then this is considered ok also. Arnold built some very nice biceps using this form intuitively.

Now, the exception to this is with cables. You need to think of what "plane" the weight is coming from with them.

INSOMNIA

• Competitors II
  • Getbig IV
  • we're all mad here
« Reply #18 on: September 21, 2009, 03:32:08 PM »
you really think that "competitors" in your title gives you right to make dumb ass comments like you actually understand how to train the human body dont you?

some of the crap you're writing is hilarious. quite entertaining actually.

but unfortunately propagates the stereotype of the moron BB. i picture you as a steroid using monkey see monkey do who reads flex (for the pictures as you couldnt be reading it properly otherwise you wouldnt make such comments) and copies everything someone bigger does. am i right?

Wow, I've really gotten under your skin havent I?  :o  calm down Gloria..sounds like you may have an inferiority complex with the 'competitor stars'. Its ok grasshopper, you will get there someday  ;)

I'm only giving advice based on my own personal preferences, injuries, experiences in the 14 years I've been training as a natural bodybuilder.  :)  Not everything can be learned in a anatomy textbook, sweetheart   :-*...some will disagree w me...but take it or leave it! As you said earlier.. my advice is 'free' .. so your feelings shouldnt be hurt too bad.  :-[  :'(

BTW..Tell me how someone with the name 'disco-stu' should be giving out training advice   ???

<---(epic overuse of smileys--meltdown)

polychronopolous

• Getbig V
« Reply #19 on: September 21, 2009, 03:33:09 PM »
Wow, I've really gotten under your skin havent I?  :o  calm down Gloria..sounds like you may have an inferiority complex with the 'competitor stars'. Its ok grasshopper, you will get there someday  ;)

I'm only giving advice based on my own personal preferences, injuries, experiences in the 14 years I've been training as a natural bodybuilder.  :)  Not everything can be learned in a anatomy textbook, sweetheart   :-*...some will disagree w me...but take it or leave it! As you said earlier.. my advice is 'free' .. so your feelings shouldnt be hurt too bad.  :-[  :'(

BTW..Tell me how someone with the name 'disco-stu' should be giving out training advice   ???

What do you think about weighted chins for a biceps exercise?

I been doing alot of those lately, just trying to get some gains in strength.

INSOMNIA

• Competitors II
  • Getbig IV
  • we're all mad here
« Reply #20 on: September 21, 2009, 03:36:11 PM »
i cant help myself.

if you want to give advice, make sure it's sound.

first off, the top 80% is completre BS. in a free weight exercise, much of the force is gone at about the 70% up position as the moment (the horizontal distance from the pivot to the weight) is very small.

The "weight" that the muscle sees, is in fact, the moment. This is the case for EVERY exercise. So, the maximum moment in every exercise is the position where the weight is at a max from the pivot- where it is perpendicular to gravity.

So, if you want to maximse your energy, you need to be working about the max moment..say 30% each side, maybe 35%. i.e. no rest at the top, no rest at the bottom.

the problem is that this is very intense. Rest pause- which is a type of what this guy is doing, is completely fine. Also, as he swings to bring the bar up from the position of least mechanical advantage (where the weight is in line or behind the pivot AND against gravity), then this is considered ok also. Arnold built some very nice biceps using this form intuitively.

Now, the exception to this is with cables. You need to think of what "plane" the weight is coming from with them.

your missing my original point, dipshit  ???

his form is good, I never said it wasnt..& this might be great for working the biceps, as we all have our own way of doing things.. however, the abdominal strain and pressure this is causing will lead to a abdominal wall tear. wearing a belt may prevent this, IMO

INSOMNIA

• Competitors II
  • Getbig IV
  • we're all mad here
« Reply #21 on: September 21, 2009, 03:39:41 PM »
What do you think about weighted chins for a biceps exercise?

I been doing alot of those lately, just trying to get some gains in strength.

me personally, only do chins as a back excercise, and they are not weighted. I very seldom feel bicep fatigue from this. It could work, but I wouldnt know.

INSOMNIA

• Competitors II
  • Getbig IV
  • we're all mad here
« Reply #22 on: September 21, 2009, 03:44:23 PM »
you need to learn about about anatomy before you give out free advice.

the EZ bar is counter productive to biceps movements as it rotates the wrist and results in less biceps recruitment.

the idea for biceps involvement is to have the body of the bi do most of the movement, without involving secondary groups like the forearms. having the wrist not fully pronated means that the forearms are more involved.

the straight bar is far superior to EZ curl bar except for a small range of movement where it becomes uncomfortable due to it not being able to move with the arc and therefore placing some awkwardness on the wrists.

however its far more effective if used, and by far the most effective is dumb bells as you get the best of both worlds, as long as you pronate the hand through the ROM.

hope this helps.

thanks for helping me prove my point about the straight bar...  also for chiming in about how to do dumbell curls, even though we are discussing barbell curls...  ::)

a fucking genius you are!  8)

Topskin69

• Getbig IV
  • Deshay with the gauge, Vanilla with the nine.
« Reply #23 on: September 21, 2009, 03:45:38 PM »

Mr Nobody

• Getbig V
  • Falcon gives us new knowledge every single day.