Author Topic: Who's good at high pulls & cleans?  (Read 2521 times)

Tapeworm

• Getbig V
  • Hold Fast
Who's good at high pulls & cleans?
« on: September 22, 2009, 04:56:16 AM »
I'm having another shot at these, even though the front squat/rack position feels terrible.  I want some 'explosive strength.'

How long did it take you to learn the movement?  Did you get better at it with time or just train in bad habits?  Gimmie some tips, brothers in barbells.

WillGrant

• Getbig V
  • Ron is Watching
Re: Who's good at high pulls & cleans?
« Reply #1 on: September 22, 2009, 05:02:32 AM »
Keep the bar as close to your body as possible unless you have a nose like ironturk  :D

Unfortunatly I can no long perform these as lower bicep injurys get agravated when I do , which is a shame as I love these and clean/press  :'(

webcake

• Getbig V
  • Not now chief...
« Reply #2 on: September 22, 2009, 05:05:35 AM »
I like cleans. Tough exercise. Good full body exercise.

It can take a while to perfect cleans. Like most exercises, you just gotta start really light and keep at it. Way harder to do than most "bodybuilding" type exercises.

No doubt about it...

WillGrant

• Getbig V
  • Ron is Watching
« Reply #3 on: September 22, 2009, 05:07:58 AM »
If you have access to a weightlifting or olympic lifting gym , try and join..

webcake

• Getbig V
  • Not now chief...
« Reply #4 on: September 22, 2009, 05:08:33 AM »
Keep the bar as close to your body as possible unless you have a nose like ironman  :D

Unfortunatly I can no long perform these as lower bicep injurys get agravated when I do , which is a shame as I love these and clean/press  :'(

Yep, gotta keep it close. We use to do them in a loose t shirt, to make sure everytime we did the lift, the bar lifts your shirt up and you flash your gut.  ;D
No doubt about it...

WillGrant

• Getbig V
  • Ron is Watching
« Reply #5 on: September 22, 2009, 05:09:50 AM »
Yep, gotta keep it close. We use to do them in a loose t shirt, to make sure everytime we did the lift, the bar lifts your shirt up and you flash your gut.  ;D
no homo  ;D

webcake

• Getbig V
  • Not now chief...
« Reply #6 on: September 22, 2009, 05:11:24 AM »
no homo  ;D

I'm only gay if you want me to be.......

;D
No doubt about it...

Tapeworm

• Getbig V
  • Hold Fast
« Reply #7 on: September 22, 2009, 05:11:36 AM »
Keep the bar as close to your body as possible unless you have a nose like ironman  :D

Unfortunatly I can no long perform these as lower bicep injurys get agravated when I do , which is a shame as I love these and clean/press  :'(

If I sleep facing east, it gets burned while it's still dark here.  :(  

Thanks Will.  I'll keep that in mind.  Just finished some pretty ugly sets.  No press tho - delts tomorrow.

Did you do in your bi with cleans originally or something else?

Tapeworm

• Getbig V
  • Hold Fast
« Reply #8 on: September 22, 2009, 05:14:14 AM »
I like cleans. Tough exercise. Good full body exercise.

It can take a while to perfect cleans. Like most exercises, you just gotta start really light and keep at it. Way harder to do than most "bodybuilding" type exercises.

Coordinating everything is tough.  I'm watching some vids etc, but putting it all into practice is something else.  You know, 'cause I'm so old 'n all.

webcake

• Getbig V
  • Not now chief...
« Reply #9 on: September 22, 2009, 05:21:25 AM »
We used this site a bit for our strength and conditioning course. http://www.exrx.net/WeightExercises/OlympicLifts/CleanStills.html

This way is good to get the hang of it. Break the lift up into seperate sections. e.g, first just do a deadlift, then do a deadlift and finish with a shrug, then do a dead, then a shrug then practice getting "under" the bar etc ect. Good way to perfect it, cause there is a lot of "parts" to the clean.

No doubt about it...

WillGrant

• Getbig V
  • Ron is Watching
« Reply #10 on: September 22, 2009, 05:21:35 AM »
If I sleep facing east, it gets burned while it's still dark here.  :(  

Thanks Will.  I'll keep that in mind.  Just finished some pretty ugly sets.  No press tho - delts tomorrow.

Did you do in your bi with cleans originally or something else?
I kept the same mixed grip on deadlifts for quite a few years never changed it around which caused some imbalances , very silly in hindsight , but being young and not wanting to back down e.g lose strength I kept doing it..was warming up one day only had 100kg on the bar and felt this twang like a band breaking and thought thats odd , put the bar down and right at the insertion into the forearm was nearly purple..

Ive learnt I cant do the same exercises for any longer than 4- 6 weeks now without changing it up , switching to dbs instead of barbells , use more machines now etc..I just kept hammering away for years doing the same core exercises never giving in and my body said enough.So it was a painfull lesson..

WillGrant

• Getbig V
  • Ron is Watching
« Reply #11 on: September 22, 2009, 05:22:14 AM »
I'm only gay if you want me to be.......

;D
Ill keep that in mind babe  :-*

Tapeworm

• Getbig V
  • Hold Fast
« Reply #12 on: September 22, 2009, 05:53:40 AM »
We used this site a bit for our strength and conditioning course. http://www.exrx.net/WeightExercises/OlympicLifts/CleanStills.html

This way is good to get the hang of it. Break the lift up into seperate sections. e.g, first just do a deadlift, then do a deadlift and finish with a shrug, then do a dead, then a shrug then practice getting "under" the bar etc ect. Good way to perfect it, cause there is a lot of "parts" to the clean.

Interesting.  I was doing them... differently.  I'll give her form a go next time around.  Saved to favorites.  :)

I kept the same mixed grip on deadlifts for quite a few years never changed it around which caused some imbalances , very silly in hindsight , but being young and not wanting to back down e.g lose strength I kept doing it..was warming up one day only had 100kg on the bar and felt this twang like a band breaking and thought thats odd , put the bar down and right at the insertion into the forearm was nearly purple..

Ive learnt I cant do the same exercises for any longer than 4- 6 weeks now without changing it up , switching to dbs instead of barbells , use more machines now etc..I just kept hammering away for years doing the same core exercises never giving in and my body said enough.So it was a painfull lesson..

I lift pretty conservative these days too.  I have no idea what my max is on anything because I don't dare try.  If I fuck something up, it'll cost me a lot in lost income.

I should probably switch it up more than I do.  I'll have a look at the log and set a date.  I know what you mean about staying with the same program.  It's an ego crusher when you go to a new movement.  No way in hell I'll ever confess how little I had on the bar just now for high pulls.

WillGrant

• Getbig V
  • Ron is Watching
« Reply #13 on: September 22, 2009, 06:02:06 AM »
Interesting.  I was doing them... differently.  I'll give her form a go next time around.  Saved to favorites.  :)

I lift pretty conservative these days too.  I have no idea what my max is on anything because I don't dare try.  If I fuck something up, it'll cost me a lot in lost income.

I should probably switch it up more than I do.  I'll have a look at the log and set a date.  I know what you mean about staying with the same program.  It's an ego crusher when you go to a new movement.  No way in hell I'll ever confess how little I had on the bar just now for high pulls.
The thing is now though mate Its finaly sunk into me that bodybuilding is weight feeling not weight lifting , sure you should try and add resistence when you can but the body just cant take the battering especialy as you age.
I can get more stimulation now with text book form and lighter loads compared to 80 -85 % decent form and more weight.
I was mainly forced into realising this ..But it doesnt matter what you are lifting as long as your form is on , especialy on the olympic lifts , very easy to hurt yourself by not doing them with good form.

webcake

• Getbig V
  • Not now chief...
« Reply #14 on: September 22, 2009, 06:04:02 AM »
Good thing some of us are still young.....
No doubt about it...

Tapeworm

• Getbig V
  • Hold Fast
« Reply #15 on: September 22, 2009, 06:12:11 AM »
The thing is now though mate Its finaly sunk into me that bodybuilding is weight feeling not weight lifting , sure you should try and add resistence when you can but the body just cant take the battering especialy as you age.
I can get more stimulation now with text book form and lighter loads compared to 80 -85 % decent form and more weight.
I was mainly forced into realising this ..But it doesnt matter what you are lifting as long as your form is on , especialy on the olympic lifts , very easy to hurt yourself by not doing them with good form.

No sure how much growth I'll see from them.  Probably none given my T level.  ::)  But I just feel fucking slow.  I haven't gone back to judo, but when I was going I was very aware of how crappy my explosive strength was and how poorly my body worked as a unit.  When I go back those guys will still be kicking my ass all over the mat, but as long as I feel better coordinated and whole (and less like a collection of body parts) then that's cool.  I imagine it will help prevent injury too if I'm more accustomed to explosive movements.

I'm already so beautiful!  Now I just need to get functional.

Tapeworm

• Getbig V
  • Hold Fast
« Reply #16 on: September 22, 2009, 06:12:44 AM »
Good thing some of us are still young.....

The future screams in terror.

webcake

• Getbig V
  • Not now chief...
« Reply #17 on: September 22, 2009, 06:13:11 AM »
Are you big, tape?
No doubt about it...

Tapeworm

• Getbig V
  • Hold Fast
« Reply #18 on: September 22, 2009, 06:15:33 AM »
Are you big, tape?

I am a skinnyfat twink, yet I persevere.

webcake

• Getbig V
  • Not now chief...
« Reply #19 on: September 22, 2009, 06:17:00 AM »
I am a skinnyfat twink, yet I persevere.

We can't all be massive.....
No doubt about it...

Tapeworm

• Getbig V
  • Hold Fast
« Reply #20 on: September 22, 2009, 06:17:44 AM »
We can't all be massive.....

I'm looking into hrt.

webcake

• Getbig V
  • Not now chief...
« Reply #21 on: September 22, 2009, 06:18:48 AM »
I'm looking into hrt.

Good stuff, dad.

I'm looking into it too....... ;D
No doubt about it...

#1 Klaus fan

• Getbig V
« Reply #22 on: September 22, 2009, 06:59:59 AM »
It's a trial and error for me. When I do a better lift I try to think what I did differently. Little by little the form gets better (I hope).

Hedgehog

• Getbig V
  • It Rubs The Lotion On Its Skin.
« Reply #23 on: September 22, 2009, 07:08:16 AM »
I'm having another shot at these, even though the front squat/rack position feels terrible.  I want some 'explosive strength.'

How long did it take you to learn the movement?  Did you get better at it with time or just train in bad habits?  Gimmie some tips, brothers in barbells.

I wouldn't say I'm good.

But I decided to train Olympic Weight Lifting for three months a few years ago.

I did different versions of snatch and C&J, and never went higher than 135 in the snatch and 225 in the C&J during the first two months.
I added front squats, back squats, dips and benchpresses to the training.
Just worked on technique in snatch and C&J.

Would always start with hang snatch for 4-6 sets of 2-3 reps.

then go full snatches.

then hang cleans.

followed by full cleans.

folllowed by full clean and jerks.

you get the idea.

Some of the best training I've done TBH.
As empty as paradise

ironneck

• Getbig V
  • team young getbiggers
« Reply #24 on: September 22, 2009, 07:09:06 AM »
Keep the bar as close to your body as possible unless you have a nose like ironturk  :D

Unfortunatly I can no long perform these as lower bicep injurys get agravated when I do , which is a shame as I love these and clean/press  :'(

my nose is fine you jealous bitch  :D