Author Topic: CAP & TRADE will destroy your home values. (This is needs to be stopped ASAP!)  (Read 1707 times)

Soul Crusher

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
  • Doesnt lie about lifting.
Cap & Trade will destroy your home values.
www.politico.com

Cap and trade is back in the news. By the end of this month, Senate Environment and Public Works Committee Chairwoman Barbara Boxer (D-Calif.) is expected to unveil new legislation along the lines of the Waxman-Markey bill, which passed the House on June 26.

That bill contains 397 new regulations. One of them would affect almost everyone who buys or sells a home. If Waxman-Markey becomes law, homes for sale that qualify as “federally related transactions” — which is almost all of them — would be required to undergo an environmental inspection.

Many politicians are upset about depressed housing prices. And true, environmental inspections are one way to raise them. But this is not the way to do it. Sen. Boxer should see to it that the Senate version of cap and trade leaves the environmental inspection provision out.

Inspections are not free. Nor is fixing the inevitable violations. Compliance with new energy-efficiency standards would make homes, especially older ones, more expensive. Selling one’s home would become even harder than it already is in this down market if Waxman-Markey-style cap and trade becomes law.

And that is just one of the unintended consequences.

Suppose you have a window that isn’t quite airtight or your appliances are a little too old. Maybe they’re not Energy Star certified. You’d have to replace them before you would be allowed to sell your home.

The result could be the end of fixer-upper homes; surely, this is not what Congress has in mind. Some families prefer to buy a home in less-than-stellar condition on the cheap and make repairs and upgrades themselves.

For people who don’t have a lot of money, or who enjoy working with their hands, or who want to customize their home, this can be a very fulfilling path to homeownership. Waxman-Markey would take that away.

If the sellers are required to make all these improvements pre-sale, buyers lose the opportunity to, say, choose what kind of appliances they can have, what kind of insulation to put in the attic or what kind of doors or windows they would like.

Some people prefer a front-loading washing machine; others prefer a top-loading one. You’d be stuck with whatever the previous owner decided — unless you were rich enough to pay twice for new washers and dryers.

Another unintended consequence would be lower homeownership rates — and not just because of what inspections add to the cost of homes in money. They also add enormous costs in time and energy. Complying with inspections and mandates is a hassle.

If buying and selling homes becomes more difficult, some people will decide not to bother. Which brings up a pretty big loophole: If you don’t sell your home, then you don’t have to run the inspection gantlet. If you’re going to move, why not just rent out your old home instead of selling it?

Waxman-Markey’s home inspection requirement directly contradicts decades of federal policy designed to raise homeownership. Again, this is almost certainly not what Waxman-Markey’s 219 supporters had in mind when they voted for the bill. But it’s pretty easy to see that this is what will happen. As Sen. Boxer crafts the Senate version, she should keep that in mind.

________________________ ________________________ ________

This disaster needs to be stopped asap. 

shootfighter1

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
  • Competitor- NABBA Nationals Overall Champ
Cap & Trade is a complete economic disaster for the U.S.

Soul Crusher

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
Cap & Trade is a complete economic disaster for the U.S.

BUMP FOR ANYONE WILLING TO DEFEND THIS INSANITY.

kcballer

• Getbig V
  • In you I feel so pretty, In you I taste God
I don't agree with retrofitting a home but i believe new homes should have self sufficient energy provisions.  I still stand by cap and trade as a system to reduce emissions.  Now that China has pledged to reduce emissions per GDP i think we are well on our way.  US and China account for 40% and it's time to do something about it.

Cap and trade worked for Bush 1 and will work again if allowed to.  Richard Thaler in fact talks about it in his book Nudge (co written by Cass R. Sunstein) about it being a great idea for everyone.  If you use you pay, if you reduce you won't.  SIMPLE.  The choice is yours. It's not a RIGHT to have as much energy consumption as you wish. 
Abandon every hope...

Soul Crusher

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
I don't agree with retrofitting a home but i believe new homes should have self sufficient energy provisions.  I still stand by cap and trade as a system to reduce emissions.  Now that China has pledged to reduce emissions per GDP i think we are well on our way.  US and China account for 40% and it's time to do something about it.

Cap and trade worked for Bush 1 and will work again if allowed to.  Richard Thaler in fact talks about it in his book Nudge (co written by Cass R. Sunstein) about it being a great idea for everyone.  If you use you pay, if you reduce you won't.  SIMPLE.  The choice is yours. It's not a RIGHT to have as much energy consumption as you wish. 

Even the founders of cap & trade said it does not work.  I posted a thread a month about this.  Its nothing more than a tax hike. 

kcballer

• Getbig V
Even the founders of cap & trade said it does not work.  I posted a thread a month about this.  Its nothing more than a tax hike. 

Well tell that to the economists backing it like Thaler.  IN fact tell that to the 1990 clean air act passed by Bush 1 that sure worked.  There is no 'tax hike' if you change your energy consumption.  It's simple. 

To further elaborate on the housing upgrades i think a system where a tax rebate or refund is a better solution to get new home buyers and old home sellers to update their homes for better energy efficiency.  Fact is it will save them money in the long term and will help lower consumption of energy two great benefits. 
Abandon every hope...

Soul Crusher

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
Well tell that to the economists backing it like Thaler.  IN fact tell that to the 1990 clean air act passed by Bush 1 that sure worked.  There is no 'tax hike' if you change your energy consumption.  It's simple. 

To further elaborate on the housing upgrades i think a system where a tax rebate or refund is a better solution to get new home buyers and old home sellers to update their homes for better energy efficiency.  Fact is it will save them money in the long term and will help lower consumption of energy two great benefits. 

The manufacturers of goods that you purchase on a aily basis will pass along their increased costs in the form of higher prices, hence, a tax increase. 

kcballer

• Getbig V
The manufacturers of goods that you purchase on a aily basis will pass along their increased costs in the form of higher prices, hence, a tax increase. 

Not at all.  The manufacturers of the products i purchase will either adapt and offer competitive pricing or i will move onto someone who does.  There will always be a company within any given market that will make a product cleaner and more efficiently and they will get my business, just like they will get the rest of America's business if they wish to save money.  You're so obstructed by this view that no company can adapt to this which is a load of bull, they will adapt if they are smart and if they are not, they will not have business for very long.   
Abandon every hope...

Soul Crusher

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
Not at all.  The manufacturers of the products i purchase will either adapt and offer competitive pricing or i will move onto someone who does.  There will always be a company within any given market that will make a product cleaner and more efficiently and they will get my business, just like they will get the rest of America's business if they wish to save money.  You're so obstructed by this view that no company can adapt to this which is a load of bull, they will adapt if they are smart and if they are not, they will not have business for very long.   

The marketplace is supposed to set those conditions, not a bunch of "green" fanatics who never produced a product in their collective lives and have never been responsible to meet a payroll and pay fixed costs of overhead.   

kcballer

• Getbig V
The marketplace is supposed to set those conditions, not a bunch of "green" fanatics who never produced a product in their collective lives and have never been responsible to meet a payroll and pay fixed costs of overhead.   

Um no not when the marketplace is reducing future and current generations quality of life.  Then it is necessary for the government to step in and set boundary's.  Without those it's anarchy not a 'free market' but a feeding frenzy. it'd be like a country without laws. 
Abandon every hope...

Soul Crusher

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
Um no not when the marketplace is reducing future and current generations quality of life.  Then it is necessary for the government to step in and set boundary's.  Without those it's anarchy not a 'free market' but a feeding frenzy. it'd be like a country without laws. 

Pure scare tactics and propaganda.

BM OUT

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!

If cap and trade passes we wont have enough money or jobs to buy the things we need.Buisiness' will leave here so fast it would make your head spin.

kcballer

• Getbig V
Pure scare tactics and propaganda.

Not at all.  Pure truth.  Look at the housing crisis, banks and lenders, investors in fact the whole financial sector went unchecked and caused a massive melt down.  With a little regulation this may have been prevented.  Just like with greenhouse gas emissions, if this does not pass in 40-50 years when the ice caps melt and we dive into a prolonged freezing cycle faster than was suppose to occur then we will all be paying for it and looking back thinking why didn't we offer some boundary's for these people.
Abandon every hope...

kcballer

• Getbig V
If cap and trade passes we wont have enough money or jobs to buy the things we need.Buisiness' will leave here so fast it would make your head spin.

No way Billy.  Not gonna happen.  America is the best and most innovative country in the world, there will be a change for sure, but companies and consumers will adapt and it will prove to be a great plan and idea. 

Besides China is planning on reducing emissions per GDP now so should the US.
Abandon every hope...

Soul Crusher

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
Not at all.  Pure truth.  Look at the housing crisis, banks and lenders, investors in fact the whole financial sector went unchecked and caused a massive melt down.  With a little regulation this may have been prevented.  Just like with greenhouse gas emissions, if this does not pass in 40-50 years when the ice caps melt and we dive into a prolonged freezing cycle faster than was suppose to occur then we will all be paying for it and looking back thinking why didn't we offer some boundary's for these people.

Unless China, India,  russia, et al sign on to the exact same restrictions we place onto ourselves, it will be a one way ticket to permanent 10% + UE since all those jobs will go overseas.

kcballer

• Getbig V
Unless China, India,  russia, et al sign on to the exact same restrictions we place onto ourselves, it will be a one way ticket to permanent 10% + UE since all those jobs will go overseas.

China and India still produce per person a lot less emissions and as stated China is reducing per GDP.  America must do it's part.  and I'm confident it will. 
Abandon every hope...

Soul Crusher

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
China and India still produce per person a lot less emissions and as stated China is reducing per GDP.  America must do it's part.  and I'm confident it will. 

Im talking about manfuacturing.  Companies will simply send manufacturing offshore to get around these restrictions and outsource the pollution overseas while we have less jobs. 

The whole thing is crack pot. 

kcballer

• Getbig V
Im talking about manfuacturing.  Companies will simply send manufacturing offshore to get around these restrictions and outsource the pollution overseas while we have less jobs. 

The whole thing is crack pot. 

Talk about delusion.  America is below the Afghanistan not to mention countries with much better environmental standards.  http://www.nationmaster.com/graph/ind_man_val_add_cur_us_pergdp-added-current-us-per-gdp
Abandon every hope...

Soul Crusher

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
Talk about delusion.  America is below the Afghanistan not to mention countries with much better environmental standards.  http://www.nationmaster.com/graph/ind_man_val_add_cur_us_pergdp-added-current-us-per-gdp

I am not into saving the world.

The most important thing is for people to have jobs, be able to support themselves and their familes, and be able to have mobility and freedom. 

You can keep your tent and candles if you like, but for me, we need nuclear power plants galore with a growing population who uses energy.  We need more supply, not crackpot windmills and painting our roofs white.   

kcballer

• Getbig V
I am not into saving the world.

The most important thing is for people to have jobs, be able to support themselves and their familes, and be able to have mobility and freedom. 

You can keep your tent and candles if you like, but for me, we need nuclear power plants galore with a growing population who uses energy.  We need more supply, not crackpot windmills and painting our roofs white.   

So you think only energy taxing jobs are ones that can sustain a nation? What about jobs within the environmental sector? Are jobs not created by alternative energy?
Abandon every hope...

Soul Crusher

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
So you think only energy taxing jobs are ones that can sustain a nation? What about jobs within the environmental sector? Are jobs not created by alternative energy?

Spain tried that.  They lost 2.2 jobs for every "green job" that was created.

kcballer

• Getbig V
Spain tried that.  They lost 2.2 jobs for every "green job" that was created.

Yes Spain the country that is like a mini America right? Get real  333 America has the ability to out preform any country in anything it desires.  It has the brains and brawn and when it turns itself towards a more efficient nation i have NO doubt America will continue on as the financial superpower whilst China and India play catch up.
Abandon every hope...

Soul Crusher

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
Yes Spain the country that is like a mini America right? Get real  333 America has the ability to out preform any country in anything it desires.  It has the brains and brawn and when it turns itself towards a more efficient nation i have NO doubt America will continue on as the financial superpower whilst China and India play catch up.

Funny that you use the opposite argument for supporting socialized health care. 

kcballer

• Getbig V
Funny that you use the opposite argument for supporting socialized health care. 

No i don't.  I rarely draw conclusions from other countries because fact is they aren't America. 
Abandon every hope...

BM OUT

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!

According to Obama America is NOT superpower and no better then any other country.