Author Topic: What Getbigger doesn't have one of these on order  (Read 506 times)

Butterbean

• Getbig V
What Getbigger doesn't have one of these on order
« on: September 24, 2009, 09:48:15 AM »
Hermes and Wally Unveil Model for 38 Meter-Wide Luxury Yacht
By Ladka Bauerova

Sept. 22 (Bloomberg) -- Hermes International SCA, the French maker of Birkin handbags, today unveiled a real-size model of a 38-meter-wide yacht, its first foray into luxury vessels.

Hermes teamed up on the project with Monaco-based ship- builder Wally, the two companies said in a joint statement. The model of the vessel, whose width is almost two-thirds of its 58 meter (190 foot) length, was presented today in Ancona, Italy.

Nicknamed WHY 58x38, the yacht features a 25-meter interior swimming pool, three decks and a 36-meter “beach” along the back, which will also be the ship’s widest part. Solar panels covering the roof and sides of the vessel will help save at least 200 tons of diesel fuel a year, Hermes said.

“Space is the biggest luxury at sea, and I believe that the next big thing will be taking the time to appreciate that,” Pierre-Alexis Dumas, the artistic director of Hermes, said in the press release. The Dumas family is the majority owner of Hermes.

It will be the first yacht for Hermes, better known for its $4,000 Birkin handbags and printed silk scarves. The company previously helped design a luxury helicopter and a collection of smart cars, a company spokeswoman said.

Last Updated: September 22, 2009 11:34 EDT

R

tonymctones

• Getbig V
Re: What Getbigger doesn't have one of these on order
« Reply #1 on: September 24, 2009, 10:12:07 AM »
LOL that looks like a floating building

kiwiol

• Getbig V
  • Who is John Galt?
« Reply #2 on: September 24, 2009, 04:39:49 PM »
Love the design - looks sleek and elegant.

YoungBlood

• Getbig V
  • Weee!
« Reply #3 on: September 24, 2009, 05:33:44 PM »
LOL that looks like a floating building

Pretty much is!!!

However, I'm curious as to how they transport it around. Do they build it right in a dock similar to the Titanic? You can't be driving that thing around on any road, in the US or abroad, and I would wonder how big the trailer would have to be in order to haul that thing around.

??? ??? ???

tonymctones

• Getbig V
« Reply #4 on: September 24, 2009, 07:16:43 PM »
Pretty much is!!!

However, I'm curious as to how they transport it around. Do they build it right in a dock similar to the Titanic? You can't be driving that thing around on any road, in the US or abroad, and I would wonder how big the trailer would have to be in order to haul that thing around.

??? ??? ???
ya i was thinking the same thing, shit doesnt look to practical but then again it probably wasnt meant to be

YoungBlood

• Getbig V
  • Weee!
« Reply #5 on: September 24, 2009, 09:44:11 PM »

Unless maybe turn it sideways...but then that's one long ass trailer, and given that I drive 48' trailers and have issues with that on standard roads, there ain't no way in hell that thing is mobile except on h2O!!!!