Author Topic: the smartest person ever?  (Read 26878 times)

suckmymuscle

Re: the smartest person ever?
« Reply #100 on: May 16, 2010, 06:25:20 PM »
Leonhard Euler
Bernhard Riemann

Smartest living man is Ed Witten.  The reason half the theorists working on string theory/M-theory are still working on it as opposed to LQD, Lisi's E8 model, and other various forms of QFT/GR unification is because Ed Witten is still working on it. 
When some of the most intelligent people in the world say that the biggest reason String theory still looks like a possible TOE candidate is "Ed Witten believes in it."

There are too many to choose from to name a single person, but it sure as hell isn't some fuckstick artist or musician.  I don't place too much faith in IQ tests either.  Obviously, a person 15 standard deviations from the norm is going to be "smarter" than the average person, but beyond about 125 or so the tests just don't seem to provide any direct correlation between increase in IQ and increase in novel "brilliant" ideas that improve upon theoretical models of various fields of study.

MattT is probably pretty close to Ed Witten though.

I am writing my dissertation on heterotic string theory. Do you think this Ed Witten guy can help me?

SUCKMYMUSCLE

doison

• Getbig IV
  • Rum Ham
« Reply #101 on: May 16, 2010, 06:28:08 PM »
  I think it is because you seem infatuated with him.

SUCKMYMUSCLE

The thread is filled with people posting who they believe to be the smartest person ever.  I followed suit, and posted a funny paraphrase from another physicist to emphasize my point.  

You know what?  I'm finding his fucking info right now and proposing.  What time is it in 'suck my dick while I eat a double meat sub' land?
Y

Tapeworm

• Getbig V
  • Hold Fast
« Reply #102 on: May 16, 2010, 06:40:37 PM »
I marry for money, tight vaginas, and belief that a woman's role is to take care of a man and take care of her appearance, not intelligence. 
Why the fuck would I marry someone because they're smart?  Were you serious with that put down, or is this some kind of "haha...I say really silly things and then see if the person catches the sarcasm" thing?

Whoa.  Set down the axe there, beardman.  Just seemed like a good time to bust your chops.

Hope old Ed like 'em sassy.

doison

• Getbig IV
  • Rum Ham
« Reply #103 on: May 16, 2010, 07:00:10 PM »
 I am writing my dissertation on heterotic string theory. Do you think this Ed Witten guy can help me?

SUCKMYMUSCLE

I don't know that I believe you, but if you can answer this basic question from an introduction to string theory course (first graduate course in string theory, so it should be pretty easy), I'll answer your question.  

Consider the Polyakov action of a string moving in D-dimensional Minkowski space background (with metric ημν taking the typical 4x4 matrix form):

S= -T/2 ∫dσ2√h(σ)hαβ(σ)∂αXμβXμ

σα = {στ}; Xμ = Xμα); σ∈[o,π]; τ ∈(-∞,∞)

∑ = the world sheet; hαβγ) = metric on the world sheet

h(σγ) = -det(hαβ); α = 1,2; μ = 0,...,D-1

(I used a short hand notation for partial derivatives, but didn't use the pre-subscript comma that is often used in tensor analysis in case your profs don't regularly use it)
Obviously, I used summation suppression as usual.

Now:
1) Show the LOCAL symmetry transformations:
    (HINT: one will be reparametrization, the other will be weyl transformations)

2) Compute the energy momentum tensor Tαβ defined by:
       hαβ ⟶ hαβ + δhαβ ⇒ S ⟶ S + δS

δS = -T/2 ∫dσ2√h(σ)hαβ(σ)Tαβ

Which condition on Tαβ does invariance under Weyl transformation imply?

(see...we're not even considering a space-time where the curvature tensor doesn't vanish, so you only have to deal with a flat geometry for space-time)

I don't have Latex on this computer, so I had to do it with the damned "special characters" on the mac fonts.  You can reply with latex or post a scan of your scratch work if it's easier.

Good luck on your dissertation!  I don't know why you chose Heterotic string theory, but I guess you have to go with what you're interested in.
Y

MAXX

• Getbig V
  • MAGA
« Reply #104 on: May 16, 2010, 07:03:44 PM »
highest measured IQ woman. interesting hearing her thoughts. annoying interviewer though.

HTexan

• Getbig V
  • Heath must lose!!
« Reply #105 on: May 16, 2010, 07:52:52 PM »
Jesus Christ
A

Matt C

• Getbig V
  • The White Vince Goodrum
« Reply #106 on: May 16, 2010, 10:15:49 PM »
;D

What happened to this infamous getbig member?  ???
Bodybuilding Pro.com

no one

• Getbig V
  • have i hurt your feelings?
« Reply #107 on: May 17, 2010, 05:31:15 AM »
hawking is an interesting dude, obviously extremely smart yet can't see the logic flaw in his scientific positivism

a guy who posts on a forum called 'getbig' saying stephen hawking is flawed.

maybe you should stop by CERN on the way home from the gym and get that particle accelerator working.

b

Sherief Shalaby

• Getbig V
  • Team Nasser
« Reply #108 on: May 17, 2010, 05:32:14 AM »

wavelength

• Getbig V
  • ~~~
« Reply #109 on: May 17, 2010, 11:38:26 AM »
a guy who posts on a forum called 'getbig' saying stephen hawking is flawed.
maybe you should stop by CERN on the way home from the gym and get that particle accelerator working.

I wasn't talking about his scientific achievments but his rather lame attempts at philosophy.

Azn Muscle

• Getbig III
  • Team Nasser Forum at www.FavorMob.com/hugenasser
« Reply #110 on: May 17, 2010, 01:13:49 PM »
For combination of Muscle and Brains it's Huge Nasser El Sonbaty all the way. (and on the way!)

/thread

El Diablo Blanco

• Getbig V
  • Nom Nom Nom Nom
« Reply #111 on: May 17, 2010, 01:24:15 PM »
I don't know that I believe you, but if you can answer this basic question from an introduction to string theory course (first graduate course in string theory, so it should be pretty easy), I'll answer your question.  

Consider the Polyakov action of a string moving in D-dimensional Minkowski space background (with metric ημν taking the typical 4x4 matrix form):

(I used a short hand notation for partial derivatives, but didn't use the pre-subscript comma that is often used in tensor analysis in case your profs don't regularly use it)

Now:

(see...we're not even considering a space-time where the curvature tensor doesn't vanish, so you only have to deal with a flat geometry for space-time)

I don't have Latex on this computer, so I had to do it with the damned "special characters" on the mac fonts.  You can reply with latex or post a scan of your scratch work if it's easier.

Good luck on your dissertation!  I don't know why you chose Heterotic string theory, but I guess you have to go with what you're interested in.

Isaac Asimov never considered himself smart, just considered himself an expert at what he does.  Knowing the equations above doesn't make you smart, it just means you understand string theory.  Asimov also said he wouldn't consider himself any smarter than an auto mechanic because he is not dumb enough to try and fix his own car.

Intelligence is all relative to what you do.

no one

• Getbig V
  • have i hurt your feelings?
« Reply #112 on: May 17, 2010, 02:26:37 PM »

Now:

I don't have Latex on this computer, so I had to do it with the damned "special characters" on the mac fonts.  You can reply with latex or post a scan of your scratch work if it's easier.

Good luck on your dissertation!  I don't know why you chose Heterotic string theory, but I guess you have to go with what you're interested in.

i notice that 'suckmymuscle' has managed to post in several threads since you posted this query, but somehow must have conveniently forgotten about this thread.

i wish had a nickle for everytime he's been exposed for being a know it all who really knows nothing.
b

MAXX

• Getbig V
  • MAGA
« Reply #113 on: May 17, 2010, 02:50:12 PM »
i notice that 'suckmymuscle' has managed to post in several threads since you posted this query, but somehow must have conveniently forgotten about this thread.

i wish had a nickle for everytime he's been exposed for being a know it all who really knows nothing.
he's busy registring on various physics forums to ask for the answer

ironneck

• Getbig V
  • team young getbiggers
« Reply #114 on: May 17, 2010, 03:04:26 PM »

Mr Nobody

• Getbig V
  • Falcon gives us new knowledge every single day.
« Reply #115 on: May 17, 2010, 03:31:27 PM »

Looks like that dude might whip some ass.

ironneck

• Getbig V
  • team young getbiggers
« Reply #116 on: May 17, 2010, 03:54:11 PM »
Looks like that dude might whip some ass.

sure he killed some greeks back in time

clued-up

• Getbig V
« Reply #117 on: May 17, 2010, 04:07:49 PM »
I think insanely artistic minds which can capture what it is to be alive in a single brush-stroke or note, or whatever are the coolest.

Yes, truly brilliant mind required to breath life into something.

Lundgren

• Time Out
  • Getbig V
  • Banned
« Reply #118 on: September 25, 2010, 06:11:04 PM »
Nothing wrong with telling the world about your own superiority 8)
I miss you :'(

arce1988

• Getbig V
  • ARCE USA USMC
« Reply #119 on: September 25, 2010, 11:27:13 PM »
 Albert E.
 S. Hawking

WillGrant

• Getbig V
  • Ron is Watching
« Reply #120 on: September 25, 2010, 11:30:45 PM »

Dr Kincaid

• Getbig III
  • Ice machine broken
« Reply #121 on: September 26, 2010, 01:55:41 AM »
Thats not Lee Priest.

Purple Aki

• Getbig IV
  • penisory contact with her volvo.
« Reply #122 on: September 26, 2010, 02:00:57 AM »
highest measured IQ woman. interesting hearing her thoughts. annoying interviewer though.

Yes, I'd possibly let her suck me off.

Maybe, while fingering my anus at the same time.

DK II

• Getbig V
  • Call me 4 steroids: 571-332-2588 or 571-249-4163
« Reply #123 on: September 26, 2010, 02:06:30 AM »

Tito24

• Getbig V
  • I'm a large man but.. one with a plan
« Reply #124 on: September 26, 2010, 02:16:23 AM »
hot woman indeed. not arrogant or something too.