Author Topic: Foley vs Abyss  (Read 3668 times)

cobra_4

• Getbig II
Foley vs Abyss
« on: September 24, 2009, 08:04:05 PM »
Im normally not a fan of anything Mick does but that last piece on TNA tonight was pretty dang good. Alot of blood, the crowd was into, Abyss was great as usual when he was screaming "Why mick, why" as blood rolled down onto the mat. That could be a huge, bloody, hardcore match at Bound for Glory!

cobra_4

• Getbig II
Re: Foley vs Abyss
« Reply #1 on: September 25, 2009, 04:32:21 AM »

Playboy

• Getbig V
  • If the bar ain't bending, you're just pretending
« Reply #2 on: September 25, 2009, 04:55:00 AM »
Abyss is the new version of Foley's Mankind charactor. Their styles are ver similar in terms of taking sick bumps, bleeding, etc. Good stuff.

The Showstoppa

• Getbig V
  • Call the vet, cause these pythons are sick!
« Reply #3 on: September 25, 2009, 05:28:32 AM »
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=57HGPHKztfg

What was up with the crowd on that clip?  Were they all asleep?

cobra_4

• Getbig II
« Reply #4 on: September 25, 2009, 05:59:48 AM »
What was up with the crowd on that clip?  Were they all asleep?

You could hear them a little better on tv. A couple of guys were yelling "that's bull shit mick" as he was walking out. I think everyone was in shock I guess.

The Showstoppa

• Getbig V
« Reply #5 on: September 25, 2009, 06:09:33 AM »
You could hear them a little better on tv. A couple of guys were yelling "that's bull shit mick" as he was walking out. I think everyone was in shock I guess.

Aha. Could see that with the lead in, etc...  I've always thought Foley was much more interesting as a heel.  A lot better work.

Playboy

• Getbig V
« Reply #6 on: September 25, 2009, 06:23:46 AM »
Aha. Could see that with the lead in, etc...  I've always thought Foley was much more interesting as a heel.  A lot better work.
His mankind heel gimmick without the stupid tie and sock were killer in 1996-1998.

The Showstoppa

• Getbig V
« Reply #7 on: September 25, 2009, 06:57:57 AM »
His mankind heel gimmick without the stupid tie and sock were killer in 1996-1998.

Totally agree.  He actually creeped me out.

cobra_4

• Getbig II
« Reply #8 on: September 25, 2009, 08:23:29 AM »
Too bad wwe owns the rights to the mankind gimmick. This might be the first and only Foley fued I've ever been interested in.

Playboy

• Getbig V
« Reply #9 on: September 25, 2009, 08:53:09 AM »
Too bad wwe owns the rights to the mankind gimmick. This might be the first and only Foley fued I've ever been interested in.
Ya but he owns the rights to the Cactus Jack gimmick and he could go with that. YThat gimmick is what has made him successful over the years in WCW, Japan and ECW before he even came to the WWE.

cobra_4

• Getbig II
« Reply #10 on: September 25, 2009, 09:02:49 AM »
Ya but he owns the rights to the Cactus Jack gimmick and he could go with that. YThat gimmick is what has made him successful over the years in WCW, Japan and ECW before he even came to the WWE.

True, personally I would rather see the Cactus Jack gimmick ive never been a fan of the mankind gimmick, it would just make more sense to have Mankind vs Abyss sense that is pretty much what Abyss' gimmick is based off of.

Thin Lizzy

• Getbig V
  • It’s all a fraud
« Reply #11 on: September 25, 2009, 02:34:05 PM »
Abyss is the new version of Foley's Mankind charactor.

But not as good. Foley's promos during that period were actually interesting.

cobra_4

• Getbig II
« Reply #12 on: September 25, 2009, 06:23:04 PM »
But not as good. Foley's promos during that period were actually interesting.
Yeah but Abyss actually has some wrestling skills and isn't just a glorified stunt man.

leonp1981

• Getbig IV
  • mmmmm....
« Reply #13 on: September 26, 2009, 04:07:39 PM »
I like Foley, in any of his persona's.  I think any lack of wrestling ability is completely over shadowed by his commitment to the cause.  No one has ever put their body on the line like he has, and the fans loved him for it.

Playboy

• Getbig V
« Reply #14 on: September 28, 2009, 04:45:37 AM »
You gotta admit it though....the "Dude Love" persona was idiotic.

leonp1981

• Getbig IV
  • mmmmm....
« Reply #15 on: September 28, 2009, 05:13:08 AM »
You gotta admit it though....the "Dude Love" persona was idiotic.

Well, it wasn't the best one...   :D  I suppose if I had to choose, my favourite was Mankind, probably because that was the character I saw him play the most.

Playboy

• Getbig V
« Reply #16 on: September 30, 2009, 05:13:04 AM »
Well, it wasn't the best one...   :D  I suppose if I had to choose, my favourite was Mankind, probably because that was the character I saw him play the most.
I thought that his Mankind gimmick with the Hannible Lector mask was awesome. Once he got the shirt, tie and sock it got stale. His Cactus Jack gimmick in WCW & Japan (not WWE) was amazing too.

leonp1981

• Getbig IV
  • mmmmm....
« Reply #17 on: September 30, 2009, 02:58:35 PM »
I thought that his Mankind gimmick with the Hannible Lector mask was awesome. Once he got the shirt, tie and sock it got stale. His Cactus Jack gimmick in WCW & Japan (not WWE) was amazing too.

Yeah, when the sock arrived and they tried to add that kind of humour element to his character, it took something away from the lunacy angle.  Kinda like Al Snow with Head.

mass 04

• Getbig V
« Reply #18 on: September 30, 2009, 05:25:35 PM »
Yeah, when the sock arrived and they tried to add that kind of humour element to his character, it took something away from the lunacy angle.  Kinda like Al Snow with Head.
In one of his books, Foley said that his body wouldn't let him take all those bumps all the time so he made the character more comedic to get over.

leonp1981

• Getbig IV
  • mmmmm....
« Reply #19 on: September 30, 2009, 05:34:03 PM »
In one of his books, Foley said that his body wouldn't let him take all those bumps all the time so he made the character more comedic to get over.

Ah right.  I need to start making some purchases of some of these books.  Mick Foley's and Bret Hart's seem to get mentioned a lot?

mass 04

• Getbig V
« Reply #20 on: September 30, 2009, 05:37:49 PM »
Ah right.  I need to start making some purchases of some of these books.  Mick Foley's and Bret Hart's seem to get mentioned a lot?
Foley's first two are great. His last one he comes off very bitter, but to be fair i haven't read it that is just secondhand info. Bret's is great and i really liked Jericho's as well.

leonp1981

• Getbig IV
  • mmmmm....
« Reply #21 on: September 30, 2009, 05:39:23 PM »
Foley's first two are great. His last one he comes off very bitter, but to be fair i haven't read it that is just secondhand info. Bret's is great and i really liked Jericho's as well.

I'll get myself onto Amazon in a minute and make some purchases.

mass 04

• Getbig V
« Reply #22 on: September 30, 2009, 05:42:36 PM »
I'll get myself onto Amazon in a minute and make some purchases.
haha oh brother. Another internet millionaire. ::) ;D

leonp1981

• Getbig IV
  • mmmmm....
« Reply #23 on: September 30, 2009, 05:44:56 PM »
haha oh brother. Another internet millionaire. ::) ;D

Damn right, I'm sure if I get the butler to fish around down the back of the sofa he can find some spare change.  I'll probably not bother having the books delivered, it'll be easier to pick them up in my chopper.