Author Topic: Obama asked to withdraw request for $400,000 to Libya's Qaddafi Foundation  (Read 2807 times)

Soul Crusher

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
  • Doesnt lie about lifting.
Kirk Asks President Obama to Withdraw Administration's Request to Provide $400,000 to Libya
Trading Markets ^ | Sep 24, 2009 |
Congressional Documents and Publications/ContentWorks via COMTEX

Posted on Friday, September 25, 2009 11:14:47 AM by hripka

WASHINGTON - U.S. Rep. Mark Kirk (R-Ill.) today urged President Obama to withdraw his Administration's request to provide $400,000 to Libya's Qaddafi Foundation, just weeks after they celebrated the release of a terrorist responsible for the murders of 189 Americans.

Last month, when Scotland freed Abel Baset Megrahi, the only man convicted in the bombing of Pan Am Flight 103, Libyan leader Muammar Qaddafi greeted him with a hero's welcome. Qaddafi's son, Saif, was involved in the negotiation for Megrahi's release and accompanied the terrorist back to Libya.

Despite the U.S. Administration's strong condemnation of Megrahi's release, the State Department notified Congress on September 15, 2009, of its intent to provide $200,000 to Saif Qaddafi's foundation (Qaddafi Development Foundation) and another $200,000 expected to go to an organization run by Muammar Qaddafi's daughter, Aisha (Wa'ettasemo) and the UNDP, where she serves as goodwill ambassador for Libya.

"Just weeks after the Qaddafi family celebrated the return of a terrorist responsible for the murders of 189 Americans, the U.S. taxpayer should not be asked to reward them with $400,000," wrote Kirk, a member of the House Appropriations Subcommittee on State-Foreign Operations, which oversees US. foreign assistance. "For the sake of the victims' families who have endured so much pain these last few weeks, I ask you to withdraw your Administration's request."

(Excerpt) Read more at tradingmarkets.com ...

________________________ ________________________ _______________

I am speechless again. 

No wonder Qaddafi called Obama "his son". 

Soul Crusher

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
Re: Obama asked to withdraw request for $400,000 to Libya's Qaddafi Foundation
« Reply #1 on: September 25, 2009, 08:41:18 AM »
Here is a copy of the letter from the Congressman:
________________________ ________________________ ________

A copy of Kirk's letter and the State Department's congressional notification are attached. The proposed funding for Saif and Aisha Qaddafi's foundations are located in Sections 2.4 and 4.7, respectively, according to the Administration.

________________________ ________________________ ______________

September 23, 2009

President Barack Obama

The White House

1600 Pennsylvania Ave, NW

Washington, D.C.

Dear Mr. President:

Earlier today, Libyan leader Muammar el-Qaddafi stood before the United Nations General Assembly and called the U.N. Security Council a "Terror Council." Qaddafi went on to suggest the State of Israel was behind the assassination of President John F. Kennedy and that the H1N1 flu might be a military or corporate weapon.

Last month, when Scotland freed Abel Baset Megrahi, the only man convicted in the bombing of Pan Am Flight 103, Qaddafi greeted him with a hero's welcome. As you know, Megrahi was accompanied back to Libya by Qaddafi's son, Saif, who was involved in the negotiations for Megrahi's release.

At the time, you expressed your disappointment over Megrahi's release and called it a mistake. Attorney General Holder said, "There is simply no justification for releasing this convicted terrorist whose actions took the lives of 270 individuals, including 189 Americans."

That is why, as a member of the House Appropriations Subcommittee on State-Foreign Operations, I was disturbed by a congressional notification dated September 15, 2009 (enclosed), informing our Committee of the State Department's intent to provide $200,000 to Saif Qaddafi's foundation and another $200,000 to an organization run by Muammar Qaddafi's daughter, Aisha.

Just weeks after the Qaddafi family celebrated the return of a terrorist responsible for the murders of 189 Americans, the U.S. taxpayer should not be asked to reward them with $400,000. For the sake of the victims' families who have endured so much pain these last few weeks, I ask you to withdraw your Administration's request.

Sincerely,

Mark Steven Kirk
Member of Congress

Hugo Chavez

• Getbig V
« Reply #2 on: September 25, 2009, 09:11:10 AM »
probably cia :D

Soul Crusher

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
« Reply #3 on: September 25, 2009, 09:15:09 AM »
probably cia :D

Whatever. 

Obama is a disgusting POS.  He seriously is a fucking anti-american radical zealot like I said from DAY 1!

From Day 1 I called him for what he is, a marxist POFS.   

Hugo Chavez

• Getbig V
« Reply #4 on: September 25, 2009, 09:21:11 AM »
whateva... whateva... I do what I want...  whateva... Obama eats his own poop and you voted for him... whateva...

Soul Crusher

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
« Reply #5 on: September 25, 2009, 09:27:27 AM »
whateva... whateva... I do what I want...  whateva... Obama eats his own poop and you voted for him... whateva...

Hugo - you do remember from a month ago that Kadafi welcomed the terrorist WHO MURDERED AMERICANS with open arms no? 

Fury

• Getbig V
  • All aboard the USS Leverage
« Reply #6 on: September 25, 2009, 09:30:50 AM »

Turning into quite the troll. A bad one, but a troll nonetheless.

I'll expect this post to be deleted.

Soul Crusher

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
« Reply #7 on: September 25, 2009, 09:39:48 AM »
Turning into quite the troll. A bad one, but a troll nonetheless.

I'll expect this post to be deleted.

Just the facts, just the facts. 

Im sorry that these inconvenient stories are being reported on, but guess what?  So what! 

There is no reason why US taxpayers need to give Kadafi $400,000.  None. 

Al Doggity

• Getbig V
  • Old School Gemini
« Reply #8 on: September 25, 2009, 09:40:53 AM »
US rethinks plans to give Libya $2.5 million in aid

By Arshad Mohammed

NEW YORK, Sept 24 (Reuters) - The U.S. State Department said it is rethinking a decision to give $2.5 million in aid to Libya, including to foundations run by the Libyan leader's sons, after lawmakers on Thursday asked it to cancel the plan.

In a letter to U.S. Secretary of State Hillary Clinton, two U.S. lawmakers said they were unwilling to give the aid because of the warm reception Tripoli recently gave a Libyan official convicted of involvement in the 1988 Lockerbie bombing.

They also accused Libyan leader Col. Muammar Gaddafi of showing "flagrant disrespect" for the 270 victims of the bombing during his visit to New York this week to attend the U.N. General Assembly.

"The celebration that President (Gaddafi) recently held in honor of ... the only man convicted in the bombing of Pan Am Flight 103, showed just how little remorse (he) has for the terrorist attacks that killed 270 civilians," Rep. Nita Lowey and Rep. Kay Granger wrote in a letter obtained by Reuters.

Lowey, a New York Democrat, chairs the influential House of Representatives appropriations subcommittee that oversees funding for the State Department and U.S. foreign assistance. Granger, of Texas, is the subcommittee's top Republican.

While the State Department could reject their request, as a practical matter it is unlikely to do so because of the power that the appropriations committee has over its budget.

State Department spokesman P.J. Crowley said the department was rethinking the funding, which two sources said had included $200,000 each for two foundations run by Gaddafi's sons.

One source said one foundation promoted civil society and the other women's empowerment.

"The decision to appropriate the money was made some time ago but, in light of recent events, we will be taking another look at these decisions," Crowley said.

The "recent events" was a reference to the celebratory reception Abdel Basset al-Megrahi received on his return to Libya last month after being freed by Scottish authorities on compassionate grounds because of his terminal cancer.

'IT IS ALL OVER'?

Gaddafi's U.S. visit has upset some family members of the Lockerbie victims who resented his unsuccessful efforts to get permission to pitch a Bedouin tent he likes to stay in in Central Park and in two other sites near New York City.

On Wednesday, Gaddafi delivered a rambling 94-minute speech to the U.N. General Assembly that touched on everything from the assassination of John F. Kennedy to swine flu and denounced the powers of the U.N. Security Council, which he said should be called the "Terror Council."

Despite Gaddafi's unpredictability, the United States in late 2003 began a process of rapprochement with Libya after decades of estrangement because of Tripoli's decision to abandon the pursuit of weapons of mass destruction.

In an interview with the Wall Street Journal newspaper, Gaddafi appeared to strike a conciliatory tone, saying he could "comprehend" the anger directed at him by Americans who lost relatives in the Lockerbie bombing.

Gaddafi also said he hoped to build a new era of relations with U.S. President Barack Obama and wanted to put his nation's long conflict with the United States in the past.

"As a case, the Lockerbie question: I would say it's come to an end, legally, politically, financially, it is all over," the newspaper quoted Gaddafi as saying. "I would say, thank Allah, that this problem has been solved to the satisfaction of all parties. We all feel the pain for such a tragedy."

He also made clear his desire for his country to benefit from Western technology.

"Libya does need the technology of the advanced world," Gaddafi said. "And if Libya wishes to develop itself, it must cooperate with the developed world."
________________________ ________________________

I haven't had much time to post lately, but I couldn't let this blatant bullshit go.

Soul Crusher

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
« Reply #9 on: September 25, 2009, 09:47:43 AM »
Al: The only BS was the State Department asking to give $$$ to Kadafi in the first place. 

Second, the only reason they "are rethinking" their position is because the congress got involved and were appalled at this insanity and know this will be a PR nightmare for the Admn once talk radio, cable news, and the rest of the media get a hold of this. 

Nice try at deflecting again. 

Soul Crusher

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
« Reply #10 on: September 25, 2009, 10:48:45 AM »
UPDATE:

I read that my congresswoman Nita Lowey was partially resonsible for blocking the money going to Lybia. 

I called up her office to thank her for this and the staffer told me the original amount to go to Lybia and Kaddafi was $2.5 million, not $400,000. 

Good job Nita! 

Al Doggity

• Getbig V
  • Old School Gemini
« Reply #11 on: September 25, 2009, 08:16:53 PM »
Al: The only BS was the State Department asking to give $$$ to Kadafi in the first place. 

Second, the only reason they "are rethinking" their position is because the congress got involved and were appalled at this insanity and know this will be a PR nightmare for the Admn once talk radio, cable news, and the rest of the media get a hold of this. 

Nice try at deflecting again. 

::)  Yes, using the facts is a nice way to "deflect".

As for your update, the article I posted addressed all of those things. The "updated" amount is right in the headline.