Author Topic: Q: for Chick - why announce winner first in THIS instance?  (Read 1048 times)

PTB

• Getbig III
  • Getbig!
Q: for Chick - why announce winner first in THIS instance?
« on: September 28, 2009, 01:09:28 PM »
I know you've been doing it this way a while, and I know it wasn't any slight on Branch, but it seems that Branch did not get the opportunity to be acknowledged for his effort.  Once you announced the winner, everyone clamoured for Jay, and Branch was forgotten, except for the guys 3 - 6 on stage.  

It would have been nice to see him acknowledge his fans and have the silver medal placed on him, like guys 3 - 6 did.  He was no less deserving.

I say this only in THIS case, because I can certainly see you doing if it were Jay and Dex up there, or a former runner up.  Dex had his moment last year, and given his attitude at the 3rd place finish, it would not have been a pretty picture having him standing there pissed off.  But Branch definatley looked happy at his placing, and could have had his curtain call.

In most cases, the way you did it I'm sure is fine, but when you have a Cinderalla story out there, let him/her have their moment.

lax

• Getbig IV
Re: Q: for Chick - why announce winner first in THIS instance?
« Reply #1 on: September 28, 2009, 01:25:31 PM »
I know you've been doing it this way a while, and I know it wasn't any slight on Branch, but it seems that Branch did not get the opportunity to be acknowledged for his effort.  Once you announced the winner, everyone clamoured for Jay, and Branch was forgotten, except for the guys 3 - 6 on stage.  

It would have been nice to see him acknowledge his fans and have the silver medal placed on him, like guys 3 - 6 did.  He was no less deserving.

I say this only in THIS case, because I can certainly see you doing if it were Jay and Dex up there, or a former runner up.  Dex had his moment last year, and given his attitude at the 3rd place finish, it would not have been a pretty picture having him standing there pissed off.  But Branch definatley looked happy at his placing, and could have had his curtain call.

In most cases, the way you did it I'm sure is fine, but when you have a Cinderalla story out there, let him/her have their moment.

meh...

Brutal_1

• Getbig V
  • Your best is...
« Reply #2 on: September 28, 2009, 01:31:39 PM »

I thought the exact same thing, in fact, so did Jay...which is why he held Branch's hand up. 

On this point I think they SHOULD go back to the old way.
just not good enough

Bobby

• Getbig V
  • is da lordes plan
« Reply #3 on: September 28, 2009, 01:34:32 PM »
if they announce 2nd place, obviously everyone knows how is first and thus, announcing the 1st place looses it's thrill as everyone already knows
tank u jesus

TRIX

• Getbig IV
  • If you mess with me I'll have to fuck you up
« Reply #4 on: September 28, 2009, 01:35:23 PM »
branch still got 100k (50k after tax) LOL

lax

• Getbig IV
« Reply #5 on: September 28, 2009, 01:37:32 PM »
branch still got 100k (50k after tax) LOL

I don't believe that is taxed at 50%
depends on your bracket
likely 1/3

mwbbuilder

• Getbig IV
  • Getbig!
« Reply #6 on: September 28, 2009, 01:47:10 PM »
chick, what do you think of bodybuilding.com announcing their winner before the official announcement? if I was the defending champion like dexter, i would be pissed off.

PTB

• Getbig III
  • Getbig!
« Reply #7 on: September 28, 2009, 02:12:07 PM »
if they announce 2nd place, obviously everyone knows how is first and thus, announcing the 1st place looses it's thrill as everyone already knows
I think it depends on who's involved.

They announced #2 at the Arnold, and I don't think it took away from Kai's moment, and who can forget Coleman's drop in '98?

delta9mda

• Getbig V
  • Team Pussy Claad/ ya know I'm sayin?
« Reply #8 on: September 28, 2009, 02:23:40 PM »

I thought the exact same thing, in fact, so did Jay...which is why he held Branch's hand up. 

On this point I think they SHOULD go back to the old way.
yes very classy for Jay to give it up for Branch and recognize. they should call it for second place.

lax

• Getbig IV
« Reply #9 on: September 28, 2009, 02:26:54 PM »
I think it depends on who's involved.

They announced #2 at the Arnold, and I don't think it took away from Kai's moment, and who can forget Coleman's drop in '98?

even if they announce 2nd
people would then know who was first
and concentrate on him anyway

its lose-lose
solution: try to win first