Author Topic: Trimming the fat  (Read 3526 times)

The Wall

• Getbig II
Trimming the fat
« on: September 28, 2009, 05:55:31 PM »
Well guys im done competing for a little while so i figured its about time to trim up and shed some of the fat that I put on "bulking" aka eating anything and everything in sight.

taking a new approach to my usual low carb diet in hopes I can preserve more muscle on the way down.  Anyways Ill be sure to share progress pics and so on

feel free to post encouragement....or flame lol either one

tonymctones

• Getbig V
Re: Trimming the fat
« Reply #1 on: September 28, 2009, 09:24:49 PM »
whats the new approach wall?

good luck brosky you looked pretty lean last time i saw you post a vid so shouldnt take to long.

Hedgehog

• Getbig V
  • It Rubs The Lotion On Its Skin.
« Reply #2 on: September 29, 2009, 07:04:00 AM »
Well guys im done competing for a little while so i figured its about time to trim up and shed some of the fat that I put on "bulking" aka eating anything and everything in sight.

taking a new approach to my usual low carb diet in hopes I can preserve more muscle on the way down.  Anyways Ill be sure to share progress pics and so on

feel free to post encouragement....or flame lol either one

The deadlift should go up.

Your fat pressure in the squat will die like a stranded whale though... ;D
As empty as paradise

burn2live

• Getbig IV
« Reply #3 on: September 29, 2009, 10:58:35 AM »
Yeh, what's the new approach?

The Wall

• Getbig II
« Reply #4 on: September 29, 2009, 03:49:40 PM »
I recently read a nutrition book that my coach suggested called Power Eating by Susan Kleiner...it changed my life when it comes to how I eat now....after only around 1 week on her reccommandations Im feeling better with more energy and can tell my metabolism is picking up the pace

Her principles are based on how big you are to start, your training backround, and most importantly your goals....she uses simple formulas to determine your needs and reccommandeds spacings that will maximize the food you eat

in a nutshell her book embodies the idea that "EVERY CALORIE HAS A PURPOSE"

Losing fat formulas *my example*

bodyweight 250lbs or 113.6kg

calorie needs are 38/kg of bodyweight so 38x113.6=4316.8/day
protein 284g/day  2.5g'kg
carb 454g/day       4g/kg
fat 151g/day (I usually never go over 100 on this and instead up the carbs and protein just slightly)

rest is simple make sure you meet her food group requirements
3serving fruit,6veg,lean meat, good fats, little nonfat dairy and so on and so forth

most of you may do this stuff already but the thought that every calorie needs a purpose (other than just tasting good) is a new one on me so i thought i would share :P

progress pics next monday

burn2live

• Getbig IV
« Reply #5 on: September 29, 2009, 04:25:12 PM »
I recently read a nutrition book that my coach suggested called Power Eating by Susan Kleiner...it changed my life when it comes to how I eat now....after only around 1 week on her reccommandations Im feeling better with more energy and can tell my metabolism is picking up the pace

Her principles are based on how big you are to start, your training backround, and most importantly your goals....she uses simple formulas to determine your needs and reccommandeds spacings that will maximize the food you eat

in a nutshell her book embodies the idea that "EVERY CALORIE HAS A PURPOSE"

Losing fat formulas *my example*

bodyweight 250lbs or 113.6kg

calorie needs are 38/kg of bodyweight so 38x113.6=4316.8/day
protein 284g/day  2.5g'kg
carb 454g/day       4g/kg
fat 151g/day (I usually never go over 100 on this and instead up the carbs and protein just slightly)

rest is simple make sure you meet her food group requirements
3serving fruit,6veg,lean meat, good fats, little nonfat dairy and so on and so forth

most of you may do this stuff already but the thought that every calorie needs a purpose (other than just tasting good) is a new one on me so i thought i would share :P

progress pics next monday

Sounds interesting, I just hate all the number crunching  :(

11venthhour

• Getbig III
« Reply #6 on: September 29, 2009, 11:18:14 PM »
I recently read a nutrition book that my coach suggested called Power Eating by Susan Kleiner...it changed my life when it comes to how I eat now

crazy i went to the library this weekend and got that book, because i need to do more sport specific dieting, rather the same old BB dieting.

Hedgehog

• Getbig V
  • It Rubs The Lotion On Its Skin.
« Reply #7 on: September 30, 2009, 01:09:03 AM »
i was at 220 in beginning of march now I'm at 194. So 36 lbs in a little less than 7 months. It can be done. while I haven't been extremely disciplined at times, there are other times when I've been on a very low calorie diet. because that's imo what it came down to. to lose weight I have to starve the body. simple as that.
roughly I've been between 800 and 2500 calories depending on the situation.
sorry for hijacking the thread. just think your progress gonna be real interesting to follow.
As empty as paradise

The Wall

• Getbig II
« Reply #8 on: September 30, 2009, 06:43:28 AM »
i was at 220 in beginning of march now I'm at 194. So 36 lbs in a little less than 7 months. It can be done. while I haven't been extremely disciplined at times, there are other times when I've been on a very low calorie diet. because that's imo what it came down to. to lose weight I have to starve the body. simple as that.
roughly I've been between 800 and 2500 calories depending on the situation.
sorry for hijacking the thread. just think your progress gonna be real interesting to follow.

thats amazing progress Hedge.....I have tried a myriad of diets in my time all with the same goal in mind....hold onto as much muscle as I can on the way down, and from readin what this women had to say thats the whole goal of her book, she talks alot about the dangers of restricting calories especially for guys around our size and how that slows our Resting Metabolism way down by triggering a starvation response from the body

Im interested myself to see if her programs are sound but by going on how i feel, I feel great and how many people get to say that while dieting :O)

PS hedge 800cals lol bet you were ready to take a serving of shotgun shells in by the time that day was over

crazy i went to the library this weekend and got that book, because i need to do more sport specific dieting, rather the same old BB dieting.

actually many of her diets are for bodybuilding and strength training athletes, she is firmly against the low carb dieting that occurs for shows, and gives sound scientific evidence that cutting those carbs loses tons of muscle and strength, aka without the massive amounts of roids those guys would shivel up like a grape in the sun

Ill be sure to chart my progress along the way and keep you all updated with pics/vids when I can

The Wall

• Getbig II
« Reply #9 on: October 26, 2009, 09:13:54 AM »
well got bod pod done bout 2 weeks ago and my BF is down to 13.4% so not a bad start for a lil over a month of dieting....strength is still the same so looking forward to see how this next month treats me, hoping to get down to around 8-10% without having to do any cardio of course :O)

PS having a human performance lab to do all these tests is awsome, keeps you from letting negative thoughts creep in from losing weight....mainly force plate analysis of leg strength, measures how much force you produce through a vertical jump which correlates to squat,clean,snatch.

anyways fellas pics at the end of this month so you can judge for yourself.....maybe some halloween ones too since i finally broke down and got a costume this year

11venthhour

• Getbig III
« Reply #10 on: October 26, 2009, 10:24:30 AM »
crazy, i thought her recommendation for 20 cal/lbs for maintenance was a bit much. so i am going to lower the calories that she suggests but i am going for the breakdown she suggests though.
keep us updated!
for all who have not read it, it is a good book for nutrition for the strength athlete in general.

Stark

• Getbig V
« Reply #11 on: December 26, 2009, 01:18:15 AM »
yeah I have been reading power eating a while now - the book is very good - however it took me a while
to really put most of the stuff into practise.