Author Topic: The Campaign Is Long Over, Mr. President (Liberals are pissed at Obama)  (Read 1938 times)

Soul Crusher

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
  • Doesnt lie about lifting.
The Campaign Is Long Over, Mr. President
By RICHARD COHEN
Posted 09/28/2009 06:59 PM ET

Sooner or later it is going to occur to Barack Obama that he is the president of the United States. As of yet, though, he does not act that way, appearing promiscuously on television and granting interviews like the presidential candidate he no longer is.

The election has been held, but the campaign goes on and on. The candidate has yet to become commander in chief.

Take last week's G-20 meeting in Pittsburgh. There, the candidate-in-full commandeered the television networks and the leaders of Britain and France to give the Iranians a dramatic warning. Yet another of their secret nuclear facilities had been revealed and Obama, as anyone could see, was determined to do something about it — just don't ask what.

The entire episode had a faux Cuban missile crisis quality to it.

Something menacing had been discovered — not Soviet missiles a mere 100 miles or so off Florida, but an Iranian nuclear installation about 100 miles from Tehran. As befitting the occasion, various publications supplied us with nearly minute-by-minute descriptions of the crisis atmosphere earlier in the week at the U.N. session — the rushing from room to room, presidential aides conferring, undoubtedly aware that they were in the middle of a book they had yet to write. I scanned the accounts looking for familiar names. Where was McNamara? Where was Bundy? Where, in fact, was the crisis?

In fact, there was none. The supposedly secret installation had been known to Western intelligence agencies — Britain, France, the U.S. and undoubtedly Israel — for several years. Its existence had been deduced by intelligence analysts from Iranian purchases abroad, and it was pinpointed sometime afterward. What had changed was that news of it had gone public.

This happened not because Obama announced it but because the Iranians beat him to it after discovering that their cover was blown. They then turned themselves in to the International Atomic Energy Agency in Vienna and, as usual, said the site was intended for the peaceful use of nuclear energy. These Persians lie like a rug.

Potential War

No one should believe Mahmoud Ahmadinejad. Iran seems intent on developing a nuclear weapons program and the missiles capable of delivering them. This — not the public revelations of a known installation — is the real crisis, possibly one that can only end in war. It is entirely possible that Israel, faced with that chilling cliche — an existential threat — will bomb Iran's nuclear facilities.

What would happen next is anyone's guess — retaliation by Hamas and Hezbollah, an unprecedented spike in oil prices and then, after a few years or less, a resumption of Iran's nuclear program. Only the U.S. has the capability to obliterate Tehran's underground facilities. Washington may have to act.

For a crisis such as this, the immense prestige of the American presidency ought to be held in reserve. Let the secretary of state issue grave warnings. When Obama said in Pittsburgh that Iran is "going to have to come clean and they are going to have to make a choice," it had the sound of an ultimatum. But what if the Iranians don't? What then? A president has to be careful with such language. He better mean what he says.

Losing Credibility

The trouble with Obama is that he gets into the moment and means what he says for that moment only. He meant what he said when he called Afghanistan a "war of necessity" — and now is not necessarily so sure. He meant what he said about the public option in his health care plan — and then again maybe not. He would not prosecute CIA agents for getting rough with detainees — and then again maybe he would.

Most tellingly, he gave Congress an August deadline for passage of health care legislation — "Now, if there are no deadlines, nothing gets done in this town ... " — and then let it pass. It seemed not to occur to Obama that a deadline comes with a consequence — meet it or else.

Obama lost credibility with his deadline-that-never-was, and now he threatens to lose some more with his posturing toward Iran. He has gotten into a demeaning dialogue with Ahmadinejad, an accomplished liar.

(The next day, the Iranian used a news conference to counter Obama and, days later, Iran tested some intermediate-range missiles.)

Obama is our version of a Supreme Leader, not given to making idle threats, setting idle deadlines, reversing course on momentous issues, creating a TV crisis where none existed or, unbelievably, pitching Chicago for the 2016 Olympics. Obama's the president. Time he understood that.

________________________ ________________________ ______________________

The fallout continues. 

George Whorewell

• Getbig V
  • TND
Re: The Campaign Is Long Over, Mr. President (Liberals are pissed at Obama)
« Reply #1 on: September 29, 2009, 12:44:28 PM »
I read this article in todays Daily and thought it was very telling with respect to how many left of center Americans percieve Obama these days. Richard Cohen is as liberal as it gets, but he is usually very honest and forthright with his readers. A few weeks ago he took Charlie Rangel to task, and now, for the third time in as many months, he has called out Obama for being a relentless phony.

Any way you cut it, Barry is going to be a one term president. What's tragic is that many Americans feel buyers remorse for the way they voted in the past election. And I don't just mean voting democrat this time around. Even if qualified and up to the task, I dont see another black president getting elected in my lifetime unless things dramatically improve.

240 is Back

• Getbig V
  • Complete website for only $300- www.300website.com
« Reply #2 on: September 29, 2009, 12:46:10 PM »
Any way you cut it, Barry is going to be a one term president.

You would think so... but after pulling all this lib stuff, and with us living in what is a small depression... the dude is sitll over 50% approval rating.

He could catch bin laden or reverse unemployment for 3 months and we'd throw him a parade and he'd be at 70% approval again.  Am i wrong?

George Whorewell

• Getbig V
  • TND
« Reply #3 on: September 29, 2009, 12:58:32 PM »
He hasn't even been in office a year and if you can actually find a poll above 50%, its 51%. He is losing support from his base, he has already lost all his support from the center and from independents. Throw in the fact that despite the GOP's low approval ratings, the democratic Congress is a disaster, America does not support Barry's agenda, and Afghanistan is a total debacle.

He will not catch Bin Laden, so please-- give that fantasy a rest. It will take a literal perfect storm of dead on arrival policy decisions he has already screwed up ( the economy, healthcare, spending, taxes, foreign policy, energy Independence, etc. etc. etc.) to miraculously do a 180.

I don't believe in miracles unless they are related to sporting events--

Soul Crusher

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
« Reply #4 on: September 29, 2009, 01:02:56 PM »

You would think so... but after pulling all this lib stuff, and with us living in what is a small depression... the dude is sitll over 50% approval rating.

He could catch bin laden or reverse unemployment for 3 months and we'd throw him a parade and he'd be at 70% approval again.  Am i wrong?

240 - UE is going to stay high for years and there simply is no end in sight on that. 

The public option died today so his base is going to be pissed off. 

As far as the wars go, his previous complaints of always voting "present" are showing their validity. 

Cap & Trade is going to make Health Care look like nothing. 

Wait until interest rates rise at breakneck speed to halt some of the money in the system and loans are 10-15% on a 30 year. 

240 is Back

• Getbig V
« Reply #5 on: September 29, 2009, 01:13:15 PM »
He will not catch Bin Laden, so please-- give that fantasy a rest. It will take a literal perfect storm of dead on arrival policy decisions he has already screwed up ( the economy, healthcare, spending, taxes, foreign policy, energy Independence, etc. etc. etc.) to miraculously do a 180.

I don't believe in miracles unless they are related to sporting events--

I dunno.  People are easily swayed.  He won the eleciton with a very thin resume.  If he accomplishes 5 things or his obamacare saves us all from swine flu, people will be lining up to vote again.

we're in a depression and half the country is sitll happy.  i'ts mindboggling.

George Whorewell

• Getbig V
  • TND
« Reply #6 on: September 29, 2009, 04:24:04 PM »
Dude- him winning the election ( for the 1000000th time) had nothing to do with him and everything to do with GW Bush. A goat could have run as a democrat and won.

Now that Bush is gone, being young and good looking isn't enough. The people want results.

And where the hell do you get this idea that people are happy!?

The poor want Obama to do more, the middle class and up think he's doing way too much at their expense and the rich are being taxed to the stone age. Nobody is happy.

MM2K

• Getbig IV
« Reply #7 on: September 30, 2009, 09:20:17 AM »
Any way you cut it, Barry is going to be a one term president

I was talking to a colleague at work last night. We were wondering if he would even make it to 4 years. Is it just me or is he already looking old? He has only been on the job for 9 months and he is already getting gray hair.
Jan. Jobs: 36,000!!

Soul Crusher

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
« Reply #8 on: September 30, 2009, 09:27:13 AM »
I was talking to a colleague at work last night. We were wondering if he would even make it to 4 years. Is it just me or is he already looking old? He has only been on the job for 9 months and he is already getting gray hair.

What do you expect????  This is his first real job he has ever had. 

240 is Back

• Getbig V
« Reply #9 on: September 30, 2009, 09:28:45 AM »

he's used to using every job as a stepping stone to the next.

maybe he only works 4 years, hands off the reigns to hilary, and moves onto some company making $100 mil a year...

If you repubs want to see hilary vs. Palin.... wow, not the best matchup for palin.  hil would have all her experience, and be able to bash what obama has done wrong.

Soul Crusher

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
« Reply #10 on: September 30, 2009, 09:30:58 AM »
he's used to using every job as a stepping stone to the next.

maybe he only works 4 years, hands off the reigns to hilary, and moves onto some company making $100 mil a year...

If you repubs want to see hilary vs. Palin.... wow, not the best matchup for palin.  hil would have all her experience, and be able to bash what obama has done wrong.

Its amazing, 240 - you just cant accept that fact that Obama was a product of false advertising and nothing else. 

kcballer

• Getbig V
  • In you I feel so pretty, In you I taste God
« Reply #11 on: September 30, 2009, 09:40:19 AM »
I think Obama has definitely handled this like it's still an election.  He needs to realise the great Lincoln quote - you can please some of the people some of the time, but not all of the people all the time. (I'm paraphrasing) but you know the gist. 

He was voted in to be president, not the most popular and cool guy in the block.  At least not yet.  Come election time i hope he's got some real things through to show for it - cap and trade, some reform of health care, a greater commitment to Afghanistan and a peaceful solution to Iran.  This may be a pipe dream sure, and right now it's not looking good as it stands.  But if he actually knuckles down, quits with the public appearances (which will hurt him come election time anyway over publicized is a very real threat for him) and decides to pass legislation promised he will win the next election and America will be a better place. 
Abandon every hope...

240 is Back

• Getbig V
« Reply #12 on: September 30, 2009, 09:43:38 AM »
Its amazing, 240 - you just cant accept that fact that Obama was a product of false advertising and nothing else. 

If hilary runs in 2012, dude, what repub would you like to see up against her.

MM2K

• Getbig IV
« Reply #13 on: September 30, 2009, 09:46:27 AM »
What's tragic is that many Americans feel buyers remorse for the way they voted in the past election.

By the way, have you guys talked to a lot of people who have buyers' remorse? A lot of the people around me who voted for him have been very quiet about politics. I havent found a way to ask them about it. I dont want to just go out right up front and say "I told you so". You guys will probably be surpised to hear this but I am much more shy about talking about politics in real life. When you see liberals face to face you realize that they are human beings just like you.
Jan. Jobs: 36,000!!

Soul Crusher

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
« Reply #14 on: September 30, 2009, 10:11:24 AM »
If hilary runs in 2012, dude, what repub would you like to see up against her.

I told you, I like what i see from Pawlenty so far.  I am not for Romney anymore after seeing his health care explode in Mass.

tonymctones

• Getbig V
« Reply #15 on: September 30, 2009, 10:30:45 AM »
By the way, have you guys talked to a lot of people who have buyers' remorse? A lot of the people around me who voted for him have been very quiet about politics. I havent found a way to ask them about it. I dont want to just go out right up front and say "I told you so". You guys will probably be surpised to hear this but I am much more shy about talking about politics in real life. When you see liberals face to face you realize that they are human beings just like you.
you cant talk politics in real life imho ppl take that shit personal if i go against obama and somebody likes him they would get all pissed off.

Soul Crusher

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
« Reply #16 on: September 30, 2009, 10:40:03 AM »
you cant talk politics in real life imho ppl take that shit personal if i go against obama and somebody likes him they would get all pissed off.

I have a friend who is a huge Obama nut, and I cant even come close to talking to her.  When I point out the obvious, she goes nuts. 

No matter how much anyone points out the fact that Obama is the very worst of Bush in most ways re: economics, she is deaf to everything.   

tonymctones

• Getbig V
« Reply #17 on: September 30, 2009, 10:43:05 AM »
I have a friend who is a huge Obama nut, and I cant even come close to talking to her.  When I point out the obvious, she goes nuts. 

No matter how much anyone points out the fact that Obama is the very worst of Bush in most ways re: economics, she is deaf to everything.   
i think this is especially true with obama as many ppl have so much invested in him emotionally they cant see the writing on the wall.

240 is Back

• Getbig V
« Reply #18 on: September 30, 2009, 11:10:01 AM »

it's true.  people find out you support policies of 'the other guy' and they decide they really dislike you.

Friends should never debate religion or politics.   Luckily, we don't like each other here :P

tonymctones

• Getbig V
« Reply #19 on: September 30, 2009, 11:14:22 AM »
it's true.  people find out you support policies of 'the other guy' and they decide they really dislike you.

Friends should never debate religion or politics.   Luckily, we don't like each other here :P
LOL its true some of my profs bring up politics in class which i actually like b/c the majority of time they shy away from it but ya ppl seem to take an instant dislike of others who dont share their political ideology...

maybe it has something to do with politicians calling those who disagree with them "unamerican, nazis and unpatriotic" or being labeled "assholes" by appointees perhaps the term "neocon" has something to do with it...iono just spit balling here  ;)

Soul Crusher

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
« Reply #20 on: September 30, 2009, 11:15:09 AM »

Thats not true - I like everyone here but mons.  I like lurker, straw, 240, hugo, garebear, etc. 

MCWAY

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #21 on: September 30, 2009, 12:59:17 PM »

That's not true. I have good friends who are liberals (at least on some issues). Heck, my wife and I often butt heads on certain issues.

Take school vouchers. I'm for them; she's against them.

And the last 3 presidental elections:

2000 - Bush (me), Gore (the wife)
2004 - Both of us went Bush
2008 - McCain (me); Obama (the wife)

Politics and religion make for the most fun.

George Whorewell

• Getbig V
  • TND
« Reply #22 on: September 30, 2009, 01:15:48 PM »
People definetly take it personal because an attack against a candidate (especially of a different party) becomes an attack on someones personal beliefs by proxy. Very rarely can there be a serious debate over politics that doesn't turn personal.

Emotion overwhelms reason, and with politics, reason should trump everything. 

Soul Crusher

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
« Reply #23 on: September 30, 2009, 01:19:14 PM »
People definetly take it personal because an attack against a candidate (especially of a different party) becomes an attack on someones personal beliefs by proxy. Very rarely can there be a serious debate over politics that doesn't turn personal.

Emotion overwhelms reason, and with politics, reason should trump everything. 

So true, I have complained about Bush to my lib friends since at least 2005, yet they still try to justify everything Obama is doing by blaming bush and rationolizing that "Bush did it too" and as if I was a Bushbot. 

They just cant get over the fact that they were suckered and often take it as a reflection on themselves for making such a piss poor choice in the primary.