Author Topic: post workout meal carbs  (Read 4088 times)

AC Slater

• Getbig IV
  • The king of Bayside
post workout meal carbs
« on: September 30, 2009, 04:59:38 PM »
what do you guys think - sweet potato or brown rice?  or other
I dont like twinks.

Dr Loomis

• Getbig III
Re: post workout meal carbs
« Reply #1 on: October 01, 2009, 01:31:31 PM »
Post workout a glucose-maltodextrin blend, for drinks

For foods, bananas, fruit, honey for a insulin spike, rice, beans, sweet potatoes are good, but I would have something for an insulin spike even if it's fruit or drink a Coke with your meal.

tbombz

• Getbig V
  • Psalms 150
« Reply #2 on: October 03, 2009, 05:04:29 PM »
what do you guys think - sweet potato or brown rice?  or other
dont complicate things

claymore

• Getbig IV
« Reply #3 on: October 04, 2009, 02:26:51 AM »

AC Slater

• Getbig IV
  • The king of Bayside
« Reply #4 on: October 06, 2009, 02:01:17 PM »
what do you use for your meal carbs after a workout tbombs
I dont like twinks.

tbombz

• Getbig V
  • Psalms 150
« Reply #5 on: October 06, 2009, 07:24:43 PM »
what do you use for your meal carbs after a workout tbombs
whatever looks good and is low in fat. most of the time its white rice. but ill eat cereal or take a shake or eat potatoe or bread or fat free ice cream..whatever is low fat, glucose based carbohydrate

Bobby

• Getbig V
  • is da lordes plan
« Reply #6 on: October 07, 2009, 11:33:10 AM »
50g dextrose during
50g dex after

30-60min after
maybe a sammich some easily digested carb like with bread with some jam on
140-160g wholegrain pasta

ie
simple carb
medium carb (teh bridge)
complex carb

no carb no life :D
tank u jesus

phemonmmill32

• Getbig III
« Reply #7 on: October 07, 2009, 02:19:39 PM »
go w/ white rice.. i usually go w/ one of many options.. white rice w/ honey and raisins or craisins, white bread w/ jam on it, rice cakes, a few bite size candy bars, or some gatorade powder mixed w/ protein shake..  i have a high metablolism and can get away w/ eating just about anything post w/o

JasonH

• Getbig V
« Reply #8 on: October 11, 2009, 03:55:58 AM »
Immediately following the workout you should have simple carbs - I usually have a shake with maltodextrin in it along with a whey protein shake.

About an hour after that I have a large meal involing either white or brown rice along with my protein which is either chicken or steak.

Very simple.

Tom Mutaffis

• Getbig II
  • Strongman
« Reply #9 on: October 16, 2009, 07:10:24 AM »
I agree with the others who have suggested simple carbs. Dextrose/maltodextrin immediately PWO with high quality whey or protein blend. PWO meal within an hour can be complex carbs and some type of lean protein source (I would stay away from fats for 1-2 hours after the PWO shake).

allnatural

• Getbig II
« Reply #10 on: October 16, 2009, 07:20:35 AM »
tablespoon of honey
12oz of skin milk
oatmeal or cheerios or rice

thewickedtruth

• Getbig V
« Reply #11 on: October 17, 2009, 07:34:56 PM »
dextrose and blended protiens are my personal fav pwo!!!  The sooner the better as soon as  you're done with your workout up to an hour...after than, it being sent specifically to the sites in need of repair is greatly reduced as the insulin window tends to decipate rather quickly afte that. Usually a quality meal replacement shake like Opticen or the like right after is sufficient..

but brown rice and a piece of fish or chicken or even beef is perfect.

tbombz

• Getbig V
  • Psalms 150
« Reply #12 on: October 17, 2009, 08:31:17 PM »
if your eating several times per day, and in those meals you include sufficient protein... then there is no benefit to taking in a post workout protein shake. you may benefit by a post workout carbohydrate shake, but only if your next meal is going to be more than and hour post workout.

so if you eat a meal with meat and carbs a couple hours before your workout, and then eat a meal with meat and carbs within an hour of completing your workout.... you have no reason to use any shakes or powders at all.. and youll be growing just as fast without them..

jprc10

• Getbig III
« Reply #13 on: October 18, 2009, 12:55:51 PM »
I've been doing simple carbs/protein shake after working out, but I'm going to stop it because I saw no difference to when I just had a solid meal.

As far as your question, I think ANY type of carb will do, as the rest have said: don't complicate things. Forget about GI or stuff like that.

I don't know why people make nutrition so scientific in bodybuilding, I tried a lot of different things and can say that the simpler the better for me.

Luolamies

• Getbig IV
  • Getbig!
« Reply #14 on: November 08, 2009, 04:16:44 PM »
Immediately following the workout you should have simple carbs - I usually have a shake with maltodextrin in it along with a whey protein shake.

About an hour after that I have a large meal involing either white or brown rice along with my protein which is either chicken or steak.

Very simple.

That is exactly what i have been doing for as long as i can remember, best "formula" in my opinion...
TEST+DECA+DBOL=BIG