Author Topic: Dan Henderson-weighing out his options (UFC, Japan, or Strikeforce)  (Read 2186 times)

*ChuteBoxe*

• Getbig IV
Even though the Earth is still recovering from Hendo's spectacular knockout of Bisping at UFC 100, dude still hasn't ironed out a new contract in the UFC. Dan Henderson wants a title shot, sort of pissed that Vitor gets one before he does and Hendo's bummed that he has to go through Nate Marquardt to get one. In an interview with Sherdog, Hendo sort of vented about how he felt his contract negotiations were going and that if things aren't resolved he could end up in either Strikeforce or Japan (or both). Pretty intense stuff:

“Obviously I feel my value has gone up enough to warrant what I’ve asked for I don’t think I’m being greedy by any I don’t think I’m being greedy by any means...There’s a lot of numbers being thrown around out there and I feel I should be paid what I ask for. They feel like, I guess, I’m not worth that though.”

“Basically anywhere’s a possibility, but I’d like to make things work with the UFC...Since I’ve had a history with Japan, I guess that would be one place I’d talk to. Strikeforce, for sure, would be the next big U.S. promotion.”

Henderson pretty much has a Japanese passport. 21 of his 32 fights have been in Japan and Hendo (which is Japanese for Henderson...just made that up but I'm probably right anyway) went through a 5 year span in which every fight was on Japanese soil (damn we miss Pride).
Predictions
 40/61

K-1

• Getbig IV
  • TEAM NO MERCY!!!
Re: Dan Henderson-weighing out his options (UFC, Japan, or Strikeforce)
« Reply #1 on: October 01, 2009, 05:14:36 PM »
Two words for the UFC......Grand Prix.

Stop trying to milk every UFC card monthly with watered down matches...start a grand prix circuit at lt heavy, middle and welter and the new year match is current champ vs grand Prix bad a$$ champion for each weight class and recycle the fighters that way so they can feel they are fighting for a reason and not set up, floater, here you go matches that I could care less to see actually......like franklin vs hendo II...wtf was that sh*t...nobody cared to see that sh*t anyway (glad it was cancelled).

and fights that never happened like page vs griff II...that would have been classic, people wanted to see it imo.... and could have been a possible trilogy for both guys. Then rashad a$$...he's pretty much done and will never see a belt again.

Grand Prix, GP champ, trophy, check for 100,000 or so...make it happen white.

Time to start separating the men from the boys in the ufc if you ask me

Geo

• Getbig IV
« Reply #2 on: October 01, 2009, 05:38:26 PM »
Two words for the UFC......Grand Prix.

Stop trying to milk every UFC card monthly with watered down matches...start a grand prix circuit at lt heavy, middle and welter and the new year match is current champ vs grand Prix bad a$$ champion for each weight class and recycle the fighters that way so they can feel they are fighting for a reason and not set up, floater, here you go matches that I could care less to see actually......like franklin vs hendo II...wtf was that sh*t...nobody cared to see that sh*t anyway (glad it was cancelled).

and fights that never happened like page vs griff II...that would have been classic, people wanted to see it imo.... and could have been a possible trilogy for both guys. Then rashad a$$...he's pretty much done and will never see a belt again.

Grand Prix, GP champ, trophy, check for 100,000 or so...make it happen white.

Time to start separating the men from the boys in the ufc if you ask me

not a bad idea...

opening up another division or two might make things interesting also..

maybe one between 170 and 185 and make anything over 245 a super heavy division

LatsMcGee

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #3 on: October 02, 2009, 04:12:00 AM »
They would have to do the Grand Prix overseas, no athletic commission in the states would approve it especially in Vegas. 

UGMT

• Getbig II
  • Fortune favors the bold...
« Reply #4 on: October 02, 2009, 05:04:47 AM »
They would have to do the Grand Prix overseas, no athletic commission in the states would approve it especially in Vegas. 

I don't think he meant all in one night. It would be really cool if they were to do something like what DREAM has been doing with the exception of the finals.;  it keeps it exciting and fair to the fighters.

George Whorewell

• Getbig V
  • TND
« Reply #5 on: October 02, 2009, 06:58:13 AM »
Hendo v. Moussasi at 205?

Dream is supposed to be doing co-events with M2-- That would be an awesome fight.

K-1

• Getbig IV
  • TEAM NO MERCY!!!
« Reply #6 on: October 02, 2009, 03:14:45 PM »
I don't think he meant all in one night. It would be really cool if they were to do something like what DREAM has been doing with the exception of the finals.;  it keeps it exciting and fair to the fighters.

exactly to keep it exciting the GP tournament should be almost a 3/4 year event/tournament per weight class or what geo said a catch weight class...etc.......blende d in with the main cards..etc instead of the huge fall off from main card and the bums underneath the main card now...might as well have them win for something so let it be in tourney fashion....creates extra incentive to win imo.

basically the GP champs will be crowned 3/4 or lil later in the year then UFC can pretty much bring in almost every new year with a GP champ vs current weight class champ matches all the way down the cards (that would be huge I think)..then begin the GP all over again and that GP champ faces the current champ the following year or late december..etc.

this will keep it exciting year round for UFC and also keep fighters hungry.....fighters will probably pride themselves to be a simple GP champ. I'd like to see it in some fashion

*ChuteBoxe*

• Getbig IV
« Reply #7 on: October 17, 2009, 09:13:05 AM »
TTT for something I posted 2 weeks ago.
Predictions
 40/61

*ChuteBoxe*

• Getbig IV
« Reply #8 on: October 20, 2009, 07:17:58 PM »
Negotiations between the UFC and Dan Henderson are more than stalled, they are apparently "done."

"You never know what's going to happen, we'll see what happens in time," UFC president Dana White told Raw Vegas on Saturday. "But as of right now, yeah, negotiations are done."

White says he holds no ill will towards the Team Quest fighter but simply could not reach a new agreement with Henderson, whose contract with the organization expired with his win over Michael Bisping at UFC 100 in July.

"I have a great relationship with him but he was looking for an obscene amount of money," White said.

At 39 years of age, and at the height of his popularity for the wild knockout over Bisping, Henderson is probably looking at his last big lucrative contract. The former PRIDE double champion could continue serving as a contender in the UFC's middleweight and light heavyweight divisions or turn his drawing power towards benefiting Strikeforce and its deal with CBS.

Friday's Yahoo! Sports report said that Henderson landing with Strikeforce was imminent, but FanHouse learned from Henderson's camp that any talks between the two have been introductory.

The questions now is if this is all a tactic for White to go public with the failed negotiations to encourage Henderson to lower his price, and if not, is Strikeforce willing to sign Henderson under his allegedly high asking price.

White suggests, as a person in his position would, that Strikeforce would be overpaying if it were to sign Henderson.

"If they can afford to sign Dan Henderson, and I couldn't, what's that tell you?" White asked.
Predictions
 40/61

MB_722

• Getbig V
  • RIP Keith
« Reply #9 on: October 20, 2009, 07:48:35 PM »
good posts K-1.

George Whorewell

• Getbig V
  • TND
« Reply #10 on: October 21, 2009, 11:58:17 AM »
I am fuckin praying that my off the wall prediction comes true and we get to see a strikeforce card of Fedor and then Moussassi versus Hendo.

That would be one hell of a fight and would definetly generate a ton of interest.