Author Topic: (2nd Oct) Love or Hate?  (Read 2033 times)

leonp1981

• Getbig IV
  • mmmmm....
(2nd Oct) Love or Hate?
« on: October 02, 2009, 12:40:05 PM »
Chris Benoit

Was Chris Benoit one of the most technically gifted wrestlers of all time, having legendary matches all over the world?  Another product of the legendary 'Dungeon', did his time in Japan mould him into a perfect performer?  After working his way through New Japan, WCW, ECW, winning major titles in all those promotions, did he then cement his legacy in WWF/E, by winning, among others, the World Heavyweight Championship?  And would have become one of the greatest of all time if it hadn't all come to a sudden end?

OR

Was he someone whose fame and success masked his problems outside of the ring?  Do the allegations of domestic abuse, and his wife filing for divorce, point to someone who had some serious issues?  And should these things have given people a clue as to what would happen that fateful weekend?  Will the fact he murdered his family always overshadow whatever he acheived in the ring?

cobra_4

• Getbig II
Re: (2nd Oct) Love or Hate?
« Reply #1 on: October 02, 2009, 01:07:52 PM »
To ME personally I will remember Benoit as the wrestler. I've always been a huge fan. His work in ECW and Japan is awesome, his best of seven series with Booker T. was unreal, all his cruiserweight stuff in WCW was great. The guy was awesome in ring. Now did he have his issues? Yeah, should he sit in hell for what he did to his wife and child, yeah probably, but I personally choose not to remember him that way. Its been proven time and time again the road and the ring will make you take too many pills and do some crazy things, Benoit just took it to an extreme no one else has. They guy had been through a lot with the divorce, his son's illness, Eddie's death, and lets not forget that as good of friends as he was with Owen you know that still had an effect on him. That combined with all the stress of a wrestling career was just a bad combo for the guy. All that stuff is enough to push anyone over the deep end. Let me be clear it was a heartless act what he did and he is a piece of shit for doing it but that doesn't take away all the memories of the times we were entertained by the guy in ring, even though Vince wants them to be erased.

Playboy

• Getbig V
  • If the bar ain't bending, you're just pretending
« Reply #2 on: October 02, 2009, 01:07:59 PM »
Chris Benoit

Was Chris Benoit one of the most technically gifted wrestlers of all time, having legendary matches all over the world?  Another product of the legendary 'Dungeon', did his time in Japan mould him into a perfect performer?  After working his way through New Japan, WCW, ECW, winning major titles in all those promotions, did he then cement his legacy in WWF/E, by winning, among others, the World Heavyweight Championship?  And would have become one of the greatest of all time if it hadn't all come to a sudden end?

OR

Was he someone whose fame and success masked his problems outside of the ring?  Do the allegations of domestic abuse, and his wife filing for divorce, point to someone who had some serious issues?  And should these things have given people a clue as to what would happen that fateful weekend?  Will the fact he murdered his family always overshadow whatever he acheived in the ring?
No one will ever take away his wrestling skill. He was great in the ring, a hard worker and a great technichian in the ring. But bottom line, a murderer who put a real black eye on professional wrestling / sports entertainment and is the reason why the "witch hunt" from congress started.

REDRUM REDRUM REDRUM

leonp1981

• Getbig IV
  • mmmmm....
« Reply #3 on: October 02, 2009, 01:30:23 PM »
To ME personally I will remember Benoit as the wrestler. I've always been a huge fan. His work in ECW and Japan is awesome, his best of seven series with Booker T. was unreal, all his cruiserweight stuff in WCW was great. The guy was awesome in ring. Now did he have his issues? Yeah, should he sit in hell for what he did to his wife and child, yeah probably, but I personally choose not to remember him that way. Its been proven time and time again the road and the ring will make you take too many pills and do some crazy things, Benoit just took it to an extreme no one else has. They guy had been through a lot with the divorce, his son's illness, Eddie's death, and lets not forget that as good of friends as he was with Owen you know that still had an effect on him. That combined with all the stress of a wrestling career was just a bad combo for the guy. All that stuff is enough to push anyone over the deep end. Let me be clear it was a heartless act what he did and he is a piece of shit for doing it but that doesn't take away all the memories of the times we were entertained by the guy in ring, even though Vince wants them to be erased.

I'm like that as well.  Even though I know he's a murderer, whenever I see a picture/footage of him, I remember him as being Chris Benoit the wrestler.  It always makes me a little sad that someone like that had to go out that way, but in my mind the guy that did those things was not the real Benoit.

Playboy

• Getbig V
  • If the bar ain't bending, you're just pretending
« Reply #4 on: October 02, 2009, 02:00:29 PM »
I'm like that as well.  Even though I know he's a murderer, whenever I see a picture/footage of him, I remember him as being Chris Benoit the wrestler.  It always makes me a little sad that someone like that had to go out that way, but in my mind the guy that did those things was not the real Benoit.
Guaranteed he was going through some personal problems at home. For him to snap like that something had to piss him off.

Montague

• Getbig V
  • The black degelation does not know this nig - V.G.
« Reply #5 on: October 02, 2009, 08:21:13 PM »
Piper did a shoot DVD with Highspots back around 2005.
He mentioned having “talks” with some of the guys backstage.
The one he mentioned – the one that really stood out – was Benoit.
Roddy said Chris had that “glassy, hundred-yard stare” in his eyes, and he told Chris that he needs to slow down because he’s going too hard.

It’s a little ironic that I just happened to think about that part of the interview the other day and saw Leon’s post here.

You can’t ignore or forget Benoit’s work OR his last actions on this earth.
I’m still a bit creeped out, saddened, and pissed off thinking about it now.

leonp1981

• Getbig IV
  • mmmmm....
« Reply #6 on: October 02, 2009, 08:33:04 PM »
You think???

I think something happened and something just snapped in his head, the red mist came down and when it went he had killed his wife.  Can you imagine how he must have felt in those next 24 hours?  Does he go to the police, does he go on the run?  I think he decided the only thing to do was to send his son to be with his mother, and then to finally do himself in.  He probably reasoned that he would go to hell anyway, but that his son and wife would be together in heaven.

Piper did a shoot DVD with Highspots back around 2005.
He mentioned having “talks” with some of the guys backstage.
The one he mentioned – the one that really stood out – was Benoit.
Roddy said Chris had that “glassy, hundred-yard stare” in his eyes, and he told Chris that he needs to slow down because he’s going too hard.

It’s a little ironic that I just happened to think about that part of the interview the other day and saw Leon’s post here.

You can’t ignore or forget Benoit’s work OR his last actions on this earth.
I’m still a bit creeped out, saddened, and pissed off thinking about it now.

I never knew Roddy had said that.  Kinda makes you wonder.