Author Topic: Squatting and suppersetting Dealifting, I am breathing hard after some sets, why  (Read 2640 times)

Rami

• Getbig V
  • One Hundred Percent
Lets say you front squat your body weight supper setting that with dead lifting body weight. I find myself breathing pretty heavy after a few sets, I don't like alot of rest in between to keep the momentum. But man it's pretty hard sometimes anyone else noticed this or does my cardio need even more work?  I don't understand what I'm doing wrong, if any. It seems that lung capacity puts a limit before muscle fatigue sometimes, anybody else have this happening?

HeavyDuty

• Getbig II
you picked the two exercises that require the most oxygen uptake. got yourself a lil death wish have you?

Van_Bilderass

• Getbig V
  • "Don't Try"
Yes, it's unusual to breathe heavy when training, especially doing compound exercises supersetted.
I would have this checked out at the doc's office. Might be lung cancer.

Reign Down

• Time Out
  • Getbig IV
  • http://www.sickipedia.org/
why are you supersetting these two exercises my son?

ta ta
Ta ta nerds!

Rami

• Getbig V
  • One Hundred Percent
what is HTH? Hit The Hairy vetch?

HeavyDuty

• Getbig II
Yes, it's unusual to breathe heavy when training, especially doing compound exercises supersetted.

Lol, true that!

Rami

• Getbig V
  • One Hundred Percent

Sometimes before this workout I'm worried that I will die, but I do it because it gives a good pump, not locking out I think is also helping this. I always thought if you can do it, why would it be bad? I am natural as well so hell I'm within natural boundaries shouldn't have anything to worry about right? I thought this was common way of working out legs?

Tapeworm

• Getbig V
  • Hold Fast
Try some lemon juice, DaddyWaddy.

HeavyDuty

• Getbig II
No its a suicidal way of working out.  Try a set of leg extensions supersetted with a squat, both to failure presuming your goal is hypertrophy.  The pump means nothing mate.

Rami

• Getbig V
  • One Hundred Percent
Try some lemon juice, DaddyWaddy.

I will file this sugestion under healthy nutritional habits. not directly related to topic. But thanks for a serious answer.

Rami

• Getbig V
  • One Hundred Percent
No its a suicidal way of working out.  Try a set of leg extensions supersetted with a squat, both to failure presuming your goal is hypertrophy.  The pump means nothing mate.

my goal is pump while causing hypertrophy, this is optimal yes? I always start and end with leg extensions it gives a very nice warm feeling for half a day. Damn, I might have to reconsider the intensity.

Princess L

• Getbig V
  • I stop for turtles
why are you supersetting these two exercises my son?

ta ta

Lets say you front squat your body weight supper setting that with dead lifting body weight. I find myself breathing pretty heavy after a few sets, I don't like alot of rest in between to keep the momentum. But man it's pretty hard sometimes anyone else noticed this or does my cardio need even more work?  I don't understand what I'm doing wrong, if any. It seems that lung capacity puts a limit before muscle fatigue sometimes, anybody else have this happening?

Are you talking about a stiff-legged deadlift?  If so, then that wouldn't be a totally unheard of super-set combo.
:

HeavyDuty

• Getbig II
Again the pump means nothing! Its a nice feeling but thats about it.

Rami

• Getbig V
  • One Hundred Percent

Are you talking about a stiff-legged deadlift?  If so, then that wouldn't be a totally unheard of super-set combo.

yes it is semi stiff so that I don't break the knee backwards supper setting together with Front Squats. This way Quads and hams are more isolatedly targeted.

Tapeworm

• Getbig V
  • Hold Fast
I will file this sugestion under healthy nutritional habits. not directly related to topic. But thanks for a serious answer.

No problem.  Oh, and maybe increase your rest period if you're having chest pains.

Princess L

• Getbig V
  • I stop for turtles
The pump means nothing mate.

True

No its a suicidal way of working out.  Try a set of leg extensions supersetted with a squat, both to failure presuming your goal is hypertrophy. 
Superset
Failure
does not equal hypertrophy
:

Rami

• Getbig V
  • One Hundred Percent
No problem.  Oh, and maybe increase your rest period if you're having chest pains.

I don't have any pains, but all I can do for 30 seconds is lean ower towards something. Yes this is probably a little fucked up way of training, never thought of that much before.

Princess L

• Getbig V
  • I stop for turtles
yes it is semi stiff so that I don't break the knee backwards supper setting together with Front Squats. This way Quads and hams are more isolatedly targeted.

This would be an okay superset on a light to moderate day - but not on a heavy day.
:

HeavyDuty

• Getbig II
True
Superset
Failure
does not equal hypertrophy

Reaching failure is the best way to force a muscle into growth!

Princess L

• Getbig V
  • I stop for turtles
Reaching failure is the best way to force a muscle into growth!

Really?

Enlighten us all.
:

Rami

• Getbig V
  • One Hundred Percent

This would be an okay superset on a light to moderate day - but not on a heavy day.

Ok. I never have heavy days though. In only do it like this, every time. I always do minimum 16 reps for legs. I always felt like I would get hurt when I try a really heavy squat. I cant seem to build much mass or get strong joints like a power lifter for some reason.

kyomu

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
  • トホカミエミタメ ハラヒタマヒ キヨメタマフ
We do it many time.

HeavyDuty

• Getbig II
Here goes.  Your body is happy as it is, the only way it will adapt is through necessity, for survival.

If you do a set and stop two reps shy of failure, your body is not forced into adapting, ie getting bigger or stronger to its optimal.

Agree?

Princess L

• Getbig V
  • I stop for turtles
Ok. I never have heavy days though. In only do it like this, every time. I always do minimum 16 reps for legs. I always felt like I would get hurt when I try a really heavy squat. I cant seem to build much mass or get strong joints like a power lifter for some reason.

All different styles of training.  What you're doing now falls into the muscular endurance arena (although the higher rep ranges can be useful in other styles occassionally)  Decide if you want to train for mass, power or endurance.  In the meantime, try taking your current 'routine' and bumping up the weight a little (don't try to max right away) dropping down to 10 reps while gradually continuing to bump up the weight until you hit about 20-22% more than what you could get 15-16 at (over the course of the next 2-3 weeks).  You'll probably notice a difference.  So for instance - if you're doing 200 lbs for 15 reps, you should be able to work up to 240 lbs (for 10 reps) over the course of the next several weeks.  Don't just jump right in at 240 because like you said, your joints and other tissues might not be ready.
:

HeavyDuty

• Getbig II
All different styles of training.  What you're doing now falls into the muscular endurance arena (although the higher rep ranges can be useful in other styles occassionally)  Decide if you want to train for mass, power or endurance.  In the meantime, try taking your current 'routine' and bumping up the weight a little (don't try to max right away) dropping down to 10 reps while gradually continuing to bump up the weight until you hit about 20-22% more than what you could get 15-16 at (over the course of the next 2-3 weeks).  You'll probably notice a difference.  So for instance - if you're doing 200 lbs for 15 reps, you should be able to work up to 240 lbs (for 10 reps) over the course of the next several weeks.  Don't just jump right in at 240 because like you said, your joints and other tissues might not be ready.

Yeah what he/she said.