Author Topic: GOP faltering in health care battle?  (Read 1895 times)

240 is Back

• Getbig V
  • Complete website for only $300- www.300website.com
GOP faltering in health care battle?
« on: October 07, 2009, 08:30:25 PM »
What about the right-wing bloggers celebrating victory a month ago...?

As news reports come in of one Republican after another suggesting that a government-run public option for health care may not be so bad after all, evidence is beginning to mount that the GOP may be conceding defeat in the health care battle -- or at least preparing itself to make major concessions.

Prominent conservative blogger Erick Erickson raised the alarm on his RedState blog on Wednesday that at least some congressional Republicans may be ready to throw in the towel, and even vote for a compromise that could include a public option.

"I am told quite reliably that in a meeting today on Capitol Hill, Republican Senators began to rapidly move toward concessions on health care because they are afraid they cannot hold their members," Erickson wrote. "Some Republicans are now thinking of supporting a government program."

Erickson urged his largely conservative readership to "go to the action center and start calling" their members of Congress.

The Washington Post reported on Wednesday that "the White House is orchestrating a series of endorsements from Republican leaders around the country.

240 is Back

• Getbig V
Re: GOP faltering in health care battle?
« Reply #1 on: October 07, 2009, 08:37:02 PM »
New plan might allow Dems to slip public option through Senate

By: Susan Ferrechio
Chief Congressional Correspondent
October 7, 2009 Senate Democrats desperate to find a way to pass a health care bill that includes a federal insurance plan may have come up with a way to do it without putting moderate members who oppose it in political jeopardy.

Majority Leader Harry Reid, D-Nev., is weighing a plan to bring the final health care bill to the floor without a public option -- making it much easier to get the 60 votes needed to prevent a Republican filibuster -- and then adding the provision later as an amendment.

The public option amendment would be there waiting, but the 60-vote test would technically be on a bill without the government plan. Then moderate Democrats could drop out for the vote on the public option, which requires just 51 votes for passage.

"It's brilliant," said a top Senate Republican aide. "It gets you your votes on cloture for a package that does not include a public option."

<snip>

Senate aides suggest that after passage in the upper chamber, the Senate bill -- public option included -- could then be sent to the House, allowing the lower chamber to simply pass Reid's legislation instead of taking up its own bill. That route would avoid a protracted and contentious battle to meld two different bills and might allow President Obama and Democrats to achieve their goal of passing health care reform by year's end.

http://www.washingtonexaminer.com/politics/New-plan-mig...

tonymctones

• Getbig V
« Reply #2 on: October 07, 2009, 08:39:27 PM »

Hedgehog

• Getbig V
  • It Rubs The Lotion On Its Skin.
« Reply #3 on: October 07, 2009, 08:42:02 PM »
Public option is how you will get competition with the big insurance corporate interests. but i doubt Obama can make it happen. like to get shoot's input on this one.
As empty as paradise

Kazan

• Getbig V
  • Sic vis pacem, parabellum
« Reply #4 on: October 07, 2009, 09:07:07 PM »
Public option is how you will get competition with the big insurance corporate interests. but i doubt Obama can make it happen. like to get shoot's input on this one.

Government rules are the reason there is little to no competition, so adding more government bullshit is not going to do anything except maybe raise our taxes. Why do you think they call these things bills? Because someone has to pay for it.
ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Soul Crusher

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
  • Doesnt lie about lifting.
« Reply #5 on: October 08, 2009, 04:17:20 AM »

Hedge come on you are smarter than that to believe that nonsense. 

Colossus_500

• Getbig IV
  • Psalm 139
« Reply #6 on: October 08, 2009, 06:00:17 AM »
Wait....doesn't the Democratic party have the White House and BOTH houses of Congress?  ???

James

« Reply #7 on: October 08, 2009, 06:17:04 AM »

Its working in Massachusetts   ::)

"To much fanfare from both right and left in 2006, Massachusetts became the first state in the nation to require all residents to buy health insurance. A new state health insurance clearinghouse was created, with taxpayers subsidizing those who couldn’t afford to buy coverage. Then Gov. Mitt Romney, a Republican, promised that “every uninsured citizen in Massachusetts will soon have affordable health insurance.” Yet just two years later, Romney’s much-heralded “solution” - touted by many as the model for a national program - has become an embarrassing flop.Just a year after the universal coverage law passed, The New York Times reported, state insurers were already jacking up rates to twice the national average. According to Dr. Paul Hsieh, a physician and founding member of Freedom and Individual Rights in Medicine, 43 mandatory benefits - including those that many people did not want or need, such as invitro fertilization - raised the costs of coverage for  Massachusetts residents by as much as 56 percent, depending upon an individual’s income status. So much for “affordable” health care.

Small businesses with more than 10 employees were required to provide health insurance or pay an extra fee to subsidize uninsured low-income residents, yet the overall costs of the program increased more than $400 million - 85 percent higher than original projections. To make up the difference, payments to health care providers were slashed, so many doctors and dentists in Massachusetts began refusing to take on new patients. In the state with the highest physician/patient ratio in the nation, some people now have to wait more than a year for a simple physical exam.

The irony is that Massachusetts officials reluctantly admitted that, despite increased enrollment, the state is still far from universal coverage - the original goal of the landmark law. To make matters worse, Massachusetts is grappling with a multibillion-dollar deficit while Democratic Gov. Deval Patrick desperately tries to slow down those still-spiraling health care costs, which he said last week were “not sustainable.”

If this sounds just like Canadian-style socialized medicine, that’s because it is. Massachusetts residents now pay more for less access to health care, yet their state still has an uninsured problem!"

gcb

• Getbig IV
  • you suffer, why?
« Reply #8 on: October 08, 2009, 06:21:28 AM »
more importantly it works in other countries

BM OUT

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #9 on: October 08, 2009, 06:26:13 AM »
Its working in Massachusetts   ::)

"To much fanfare from both right and left in 2006, Massachusetts became the first state in the nation to require all residents to buy health insurance. A new state health insurance clearinghouse was created, with taxpayers subsidizing those who couldn’t afford to buy coverage. Then Gov. Mitt Romney, a Republican, promised that “every uninsured citizen in Massachusetts will soon have affordable health insurance.” Yet just two years later, Romney’s much-heralded “solution” - touted by many as the model for a national program - has become an embarrassing flop.Just a year after the universal coverage law passed, The New York Times reported, state insurers were already jacking up rates to twice the national average. According to Dr. Paul Hsieh, a physician and founding member of Freedom and Individual Rights in Medicine, 43 mandatory benefits - including those that many people did not want or need, such as invitro fertilization - raised the costs of coverage for  Massachusetts residents by as much as 56 percent, depending upon an individual’s income status. So much for “affordable” health care.

Small businesses with more than 10 employees were required to provide health insurance or pay an extra fee to subsidize uninsured low-income residents, yet the overall costs of the program increased more than $400 million - 85 percent higher than original projections. To make up the difference, payments to health care providers were slashed, so many doctors and dentists in Massachusetts began refusing to take on new patients. In the state with the highest physician/patient ratio in the nation, some people now have to wait more than a year for a simple physical exam.

The irony is that Massachusetts officials reluctantly admitted that, despite increased enrollment, the state is still far from universal coverage - the original goal of the landmark law. To make matters worse, Massachusetts is grappling with a multibillion-dollar deficit while Democratic Gov. Deval Patrick desperately tries to slow down those still-spiraling health care costs, which he said last week were “not sustainable.”

If this sounds just like Canadian-style socialized medicine, that’s because it is. Massachusetts residents now pay more for less access to health care, yet their state still has an uninsured problem!"

ITS GOING BANKRUPT IN MASS.!!!!Its killing the state.Nice try.

Its funny the way libs paint this.If it passes its a victory for democrats.The fact is,if it passes its a dissaster for America.They know its so bad,they wont implement it to 2013 a year AFTER Obamas re-election bid.Its such an emergency and people are dying,they will wait to make sure Obama is elected before passing it.

240 is Back

• Getbig V
« Reply #10 on: October 08, 2009, 09:27:07 AM »
man, a nationwide bankruptcy due to national health care.

the alternative is to let the companies double the rates again over the next 10 years, so that only half the country can afford it.

Why is there no middle ground solution?  Why can't insurance companies cut their profits and keep it cheaper and more competitive?

tonymctones

• Getbig V
« Reply #11 on: October 08, 2009, 09:35:37 AM »

the alternative is to let the companies double the rates again over the next 10 years, so that only half the country can afford it.

Why is there no middle ground solution?  Why can't insurance companies cut their profits and keep it cheaper and more competitive?
b/c your saviour and your buddies dont want a compromise...the majority of this country wants reform they simply dont want all the liberal hand outs and ideological bull shit the dems are trying to feed ppl...

let companies cross state lines, tort reform, no pre existing conditions clause, govt ID for health care(seems like a no brainer huh, not for your ilk), no public option etc..etc...

240 is Back

• Getbig V
« Reply #12 on: October 08, 2009, 09:36:59 AM »
b/c your saviour and your buddies dont want a compromise...the majority of this country wants reform they simply dont want all the liberal hand outs and ideological bull shit the dems are trying to feed ppl...

let companies cross state lines, tort reform, no pre existing conditions clause, govt ID for health care(seems like a no brainer huh, not for your ilk), no public option etc..etc...

Prices didn't start rising on Jan 21, 2009.  They have doubled in the last 8 years.

In another 8 years, I won't be able to afford health care.  Tony, you don't even have it now, right?

how the fvck can you defend companies charging healthy young males 200 a month, and healthy families 1200 a month - when you can't afford it yourself?

Soul Crusher

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
« Reply #13 on: October 08, 2009, 09:40:00 AM »

Because profits are not the driver of costs alone you fool.

Dont you have an MBA?

240 - how can you be this ignorant?  Seriously - how are you uninformed on so many topics after going to school for 6 years?

Its shocking sometimes to see how empty your posts are. 

240 is Back

• Getbig V
« Reply #14 on: October 08, 2009, 09:42:41 AM »
Dont you have an MBA?
240 - how can you be this ignorant?  Seriously - how are you uninformed on so many topics after going to school for 6 years?
Its shocking sometimes to see how empty your posts are. 

Then WHY - while technology improves and operations become more efficient through outsourcing - prices have gone UP? 

And you're telling me insurance companies are COST centers, and not PROFIT centers? 

Talk MBA, go for it homie...

tonymctones

• Getbig V
« Reply #15 on: October 08, 2009, 09:43:42 AM »
Prices didn't start rising on Jan 21, 2009.  They have doubled in the last 8 years.

In another 8 years, I won't be able to afford health care.  Tony, you don't even have it now, right?

how the fvck can you defend companies charging healthy young males 200 a month, and healthy families 1200 a month - when you can't afford it yourself?
more ignorance from you... ::)

where has it been stated that I cant afford health care? please show me

you seemed to make up your own reality and read what you want from my posts.

Im in favor of health care reform brain child, im not in favor of a public option, I AM TOTALLY IN FAVOR OF SHOWING GOVT ID FOR HEALTH CARE HERE IN THE US...

Soul Crusher

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
« Reply #16 on: October 08, 2009, 09:44:35 AM »
Then WHY - while technology improves and operations become more efficient through outsourcing - prices have gone UP? 

And you're telling me insurance companies are COST centers, and not PROFIT centers? 

Talk MBA, go for it homie...

How can I have a discussion with you when you dont even know what insurance is in the first place?  

Insurance is a contract that allocates risk between parties.  Sometimes they win, sometimes they lose, thats how it works.  

240 is Back

• Getbig V
« Reply #17 on: October 08, 2009, 09:44:53 AM »

Can you quantify what % of the 100% rise in costs were due to profits?

And can you list what other factors have led to increases in costs, despite the scalability of rising population?

And how about breaking down why machines and medicine are getting cheaper (and docs are making less) but the cost of seeing a doc has doubled.... but it's not the company's fault.

I guaran-fvcking-tee if it was President palin taking on Big Insurance, you'd be jacking off while holding a picket sign in front of UNH.

kcballer

• Getbig V
  • In you I feel so pretty, In you I taste God
« Reply #18 on: October 08, 2009, 09:45:38 AM »
122 people will die today because they don't have insurance.  

122 people.  dead.  today.  
Abandon every hope...

240 is Back

• Getbig V
« Reply #19 on: October 08, 2009, 09:46:03 AM »
where has it been stated that I cant afford health care? please show me

wait  -   yuo CHOOSE not to have health care?  What, cigarettes and skateboards take precedence?

And I'm the ignorant one??  LMAO... dude you're nuts

Soul Crusher

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
« Reply #20 on: October 08, 2009, 09:48:40 AM »
Can you quantify what % of the 100% rise in costs were due to profits?

And can you list what other factors have led to increases in costs, despite the scalability of rising population?

And how about breaking down why machines and medicine are getting cheaper (and docs are making less) but the cost of seeing a doc has doubled.... but it's not the company's fault.

I guaran-fvcking-tee if it was President palin taking on Big Insurance, you'd be jacking off while holding a picket sign in front of UNH.

Ok - why are medicare and medicaid costs rising as well?  They are not profit driven and run at a massive loss. 

I simply cant believe how uninformed you are.

Regulations, lack of real competition, mandates, waste fraud and abuse, law suits, unhealthy lifystyles,  all contribute to the increasing costs.   

tonymctones

• Getbig V
« Reply #21 on: October 08, 2009, 09:49:13 AM »
wait  -   yuo CHOOSE not to have health care?  What, cigarettes and skateboards take precedence?

And I'm the ignorant one??  LMAO... dude you're nuts
LOL nope school and bills

and ya youre the ignorant one

where have i stated I was against health care reform? please give me one post

if you cant find one then STFU about it I am for health care reform simply not UTOPIAN health care reform...

tonymctones

• Getbig V
« Reply #22 on: October 08, 2009, 09:50:28 AM »
Ok - why are medicare and medicaid costs rising as well?  They are not profit driven and run at a massive loss. 

I simply cant believe how uninformed you are.

Regulations, lack of real competition, mandates, waste fraud and abuse, law suits, unhealthy lifystyles,  all contribute to the increasing costs.   
cross state lines, govt id for health care, tort reform

sounds like a pretty good health care reform doesnt it?

apparently 240 wants the obama utopia he was sold during the election

240 is Back

• Getbig V
« Reply #23 on: October 08, 2009, 09:50:33 AM »
Regulations, lack of real competition, mandates, waste fraud and abuse, law suits, unhealthy lifystyles,  all contribute to the increasing costs.  

1) So left un-regulated, costs would drop?  Oh my...

2) lack of competition - and you hate the public option, huh ;)

3) unhealthy lifestyles - yet you hate that soda and cig taxes, right?

240 is Back

• Getbig V
« Reply #24 on: October 08, 2009, 09:51:17 AM »
LOL nope school and bills

and ya youre the ignorant one

where have i stated I was against health care reform? please give me one post

if you cant find one then STFU about it I am for health care reform simply not UTOPIAN health care reform...

So what is your solution?  What health care reform would you like to see?

I can't believe how many people here are giving BJs to firms that will one day tell them to piss off when they're sick...