Author Topic: Worthy Charity?  (Read 8723 times)

Eyeball Chambers

• Getbig V
  • Would you hold still? You're making me fuck up...
Worthy Charity?
« on: October 09, 2009, 06:05:09 PM »
Does anyone here regularly donate money to charity?

What's a worthy cause that will help Americans in some way, and not go towards "philanthropists" salary's?
S

Signifying Monkey

• Getbig IV
Re: Worthy Charity?
« Reply #1 on: October 09, 2009, 06:08:25 PM »
The Human Fund

Andy Griffin

• Getbig V
  • I know my own name, bitch.
« Reply #2 on: October 09, 2009, 06:12:40 PM »
~

Eyeball Chambers

• Getbig V
« Reply #3 on: October 09, 2009, 06:16:48 PM »

;D
S

Andy Griffin

• Getbig V
  • I know my own name, bitch.
« Reply #4 on: October 09, 2009, 06:18:58 PM »

;D

Long live George Lewis Costanza (Can't Stand Ya)
~

Migs

• Getbig V
  • THERE WAS A FIRE FIGHT!!!!
« Reply #5 on: October 09, 2009, 07:37:02 PM »

What's a worthy cause that will help Americans in some way, and not go towards "philanthropists" salary's?

i would say donate to your local kids hospital or food bank.  I don't give to churches or anyone that asks for money on tv.

Signifying Monkey

• Getbig IV
« Reply #6 on: October 09, 2009, 07:39:21 PM »
I directly contribute to the well-being of sex workers in E. Europe

Eyeball Chambers

• Getbig V
« Reply #7 on: October 09, 2009, 07:51:19 PM »
i would say donate to your local kids hospital or food bank.  I don't give to churches or anyone that asks for money on tv.

Sounds like a good idea, thanks
S

Migs

• Getbig V
  • THERE WAS A FIRE FIGHT!!!!
« Reply #8 on: October 09, 2009, 08:00:48 PM »
sure thing.  I  have a problems with lare organizations and churches.  Don't like not knowing where the money goes.a nd don't like church members driving lexus and luxury cars.

noworries

• Getbig V
  • Train Heavy or Go Home
« Reply #9 on: October 09, 2009, 08:37:00 PM »
I donate to my high school sports program.  I used to give to about 5 or 6 charities a year.  But, now getting leaner in donations
No Worries 4 me

MB_722

• Getbig V
  • RIP Keith
« Reply #10 on: October 09, 2009, 08:37:49 PM »
MB_722 Fund.

Eyeball Chambers

• Getbig V
« Reply #11 on: October 09, 2009, 09:24:16 PM »
MB_722 Fund.

You're already rich, and famous  ;D
S

Butterbean

• Special Guests
  • Getbig V
« Reply #12 on: October 10, 2009, 07:41:55 AM »

Look into your local homeless shelters (there are diff types...some work at ending homelessness through education/skill development, etc).

Habitat for Humanity - the people that receive the home actually pay for it and work to help build it.  I think they have to work on it like 250 hours or something like that so they feel really invested in it.  They pay for the home at 0% interest I think ...but they still pay for it.

Boys and Girls Clubs - provide needed supervision and services and even meals etc for at risk kids.  

Like Migs said - local children's hospitals & food banks

The Smile Train - provides kid's w/cleft lips surgery to fix...these wouldn't be all Americans though.

I've heard giving to the United Way results in only pennies on the dollar go to helping others.  Haven't looked into that in a long while though.

R

tonymctones

• Getbig V
« Reply #13 on: October 10, 2009, 09:23:30 AM »
I think the best way to go is local like others have said check out childrens charities the larger the charity i would think the bigger the chunk will get lost in the buerocratic process within the company. Charities for families of soldiers who have died in iraq and afghanistan are also good. The wounded warrior project is another good one or shoot man not quite as notable but in the vein of our common thread. Funds that help soldiers oversees get supplements to assist in their workout routines. I have a buddy who was a firefighter in iraq and he always emailed me saying how they cant get crap over there.

Honestly though if you really want to help volunteer bro at a local charity these places are generally understaffed and depend alot on volunteers.

Butterbean

• Special Guests
  • Getbig V
« Reply #14 on: October 10, 2009, 09:41:56 AM »
I think the best way to go is local like others have said check out childrens charities the larger the charity i would think the bigger the chunk will get lost in the buerocratic process within the company. Charities for families of soldiers who have died in iraq and afghanistan are also good. The wounded warrior project is another good one or shoot man not quite as notable but in the vein of our common thread. Funds that help soldiers oversees get supplements to assist in their workout routines. I have a buddy who was a firefighter in iraq and he always emailed me saying how they cant get crap over there.

Thank you!

Also, does anyone have a specific position on the USO?
R

Eyeball Chambers

• Getbig V
« Reply #15 on: October 10, 2009, 10:45:56 AM »
Good ideas! Thanks!
S

24KT

• Getbig V
  • Gold Savings Account Rep +1 (310) 409-2244
« Reply #16 on: November 06, 2009, 05:20:05 AM »

I regularly donate to Feed My Starving Children (www.FMSC.org) with every purchase I make.
It feeds a starving child for a week. Infact, in many cases, not only does it feed a starving child for a week,
each online purchase can also simultaneously support many worthwhile non-profit organizations as well.

In this economic crisis, many charities and non-profits have been absolutely devastated. Supporters are cutting back on the level of support given, ...in many cases, former supporters are now turning to these very same organizations for help. An innovative and visionary approach to e-Commerce, has emerged that can meet the needs of both consumers looking for value, while empowering them to make a difference. Non-profits no longer have to beg supporters for money. Consumers no longer have to choose between doing without, and supporting their favourite charity. They can now feed a number of birds with one worm. Consumers can now purchase the things they're currently buying, have it delivered directly to their doors, and at the same time, receive the lowest prices on their everyday purchases, getting the best value, and knowing that with each purchase made, their favourite charity will be supported, AND a child will be fed for a week.

w

loco

• Getbig V
  • loco like a fox
« Reply #17 on: December 07, 2009, 08:29:41 AM »
The Salvation Army

calfzilla

• Getbig V
  • YUMAN FILTH!
« Reply #18 on: December 07, 2009, 10:24:01 PM »