Author Topic: Diamond bar squats  (Read 3521 times)

willie mosconi

• Getbig IV
  • Getbig!
Diamond bar squats
« on: October 11, 2009, 09:21:25 AM »
I just did them for the first time in about 10 years the other day. I chose to do them again mainly because I've been having some lower back issues, but I may continue doing them once fully recovered because they seem pretty effective. Anybody else do them? What do you think of them? (if you guys aren't familiar- instead of having the weight on your back, you hold the bar with your hands and then do squats)

DroppingPlates

• Competitors II
  • Getbig V
  • Team Pocahontas
Re: Diamond bar squats
« Reply #1 on: October 11, 2009, 09:31:39 AM »
I've never tried them. I think front squats are more effective in your case because your quads are much stronger than the weight you can hold with your arms. Both the diamant and front version put less stress on your lower back, but if you have serious problems it could be better to avoid all squat movements.

TommyBoy

• Getbig IV
  • What's the vector, Victor?
« Reply #2 on: October 11, 2009, 09:33:38 AM »
Any time I am in a gym that has a diamond bar I make absolutely sure I do these. They are fantastic.

Bar-behind back squats, front-squats, then diamond-bar squats in that order = fried legs.

gib

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #3 on: October 11, 2009, 09:36:04 AM »
I am am Olympic lifter. We live and breath front squats (they are a vital part of the "clean" when dong a clean and jerk. For a bodybuilder,  they take some getting used to, and also require more flexibility in the arms. Technique when holding the bar is important. They are also great for your lower back and spinal erectors provided you do them with good form.

HTexan

• Getbig V
  • Heath must lose!!
« Reply #4 on: October 11, 2009, 09:48:00 AM »
I just did them for the first time in about 10 years the other day. I chose to do them again mainly because I've been having some lower back issues, but I may continue doing them once fully recovered because they seem pretty effective. Anybody else do them? What do you think of them? (if you guys aren't familiar- instead of having the weight on your back, you hold the bar with your hands and then do squats)
how did you fup your back?
A

Swedish Viking

• Getbig IV
  • http://plunkan.blogspot.com/
« Reply #5 on: October 11, 2009, 11:54:43 AM »
daimond bar...is that a trap bar?  Never heard of a diamond bar.

HTexan

• Getbig V
  • Heath must lose!!
« Reply #6 on: October 11, 2009, 12:05:16 PM »
daimond bar...is that a trap bar?  Never heard of a diamond bar.
Yo yo yo daddy-o all the hip kids are calling them diamond bars now a days. ;D
A

willie mosconi

• Getbig IV
  • Getbig!
« Reply #7 on: October 11, 2009, 04:24:26 PM »
how did you fup your back?

It is kind of a long story. About five years ago, I injured my back pretty severely doing bent over rows. It took me about a month to recover enough from that to train like I used to, but my lower back has never really been the same ever since. I injure it about three times a year ever since then.

This most recent time occurred due to several things- I moved apartments and was hence moving some very heavy boxes, etc. Then, I tweaked it further picking up heavy dumbbells for incline presses. The following day it got far worse when I was shooting pool. It has been about three weeks since then. I'm not really in pain any more, but it still feels vulnerable.