Author Topic: 6-Year-Old Scout Suspended for Bringing Knife-Fork-Spoon Utensil to School  (Read 707 times)

Soul Crusher

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
  • Doesnt lie about lifting.
6-Year-Old Scout Suspended for Bringing Knife-Fork-Spoon Utensil to School
Monday, October 12, 2009 

Six-year-old Zachary Christie was so excited to become a Cub Scout that he brought his camping utensil to school. The tool serves as a spoon, a fork and a knife, and Zachary wanted to use it at lunch.

What Zachary didn't know was that the gizmo violated his school's zero-tolerance policy on weapons. And now the Christina School District in Newark, Del., has suspended the first grader and ordered him to attend the district's reform school for 45 days.

Zachary's parents insist their son did not intend to hurt anyone, and they are fighting to overturn the ruling.

"Zachary wears a suit and tie some days to school by his own choice because he takes school so seriously," Zachary's mother, Debbie Christie, told the New York Times. "He is not some sort of threat to his classmates."

The school district, in a statement, said rules are rules and defended its decision to suspend the boy.

"At this time, the Student Code of Conduct does not take into consideration a child's age in a Level three offense," the statement read.

"This is the first incident this year involving a student under the age of seven in possession of a dangerous instrument. Christina School District staff and the Christina Board of Education are constantly examining ways to improve policies regarding student discipline."

At a meeting with the school disciplinary committee last week, Zachary's karate instructor and his mother’s fiancé made the case for the boy's character.

And Zachary's mother has started a Web site to attract support for her son before a meeting of the school board on Tuesday.

Click here for more from The New York Times.

See Next Story in U.S.
________________________ ________________

What the hell is going on in this country? 

I swear, and you guys wonder why people are starting to lose it and hate the govt?   

Eyeball Chambers

• Getbig V
  • Would you hold still? You're making me fuck up...
Unfuckingbelievable, the principle or administrator responsible for this should be humiliated and fired.

Back in Elementary school, my friend and myself always carried our pocket knifes.
S

Soul Crusher

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
  • Doesnt lie about lifting.
Unfuckingbelievable, the principle or administrator responsible for this should be humiliated and fired.

Back in Elementary school, my friend and myself always carried our pocket knifes.

We need to get rid of Zero Tolerance policies, end tenure, end the Teachers' Unions, and make these scum bags accountable. 

If this were my kid I probably would assault the teacher and make no apologies for it. 

Zero Tolerance for b.s. as I have my boot on their throat. 

pedro01

• Getbig V
  • Hello Hunior
Come on guys - look at the pic - that kid looks fucking dangerous to me.

gcb

• Getbig IV
  • you suffer, why?
We need to get rid of Zero Tolerance policies, end tenure, end the Teachers' Unions, and make these scum bags accountable. 

If this were my kid I probably would assault the teacher and make no apologies for it. 

Zero Tolerance for b.s. as I have my boot on their throat. 

Nothing like a knee-jerk reaction to solve all our problems - the kid just needed to be made aware why he shouldn't bring a knife to school. The teachers may not be responsible and the principle is definitely a jerk but zero tolerance is bullshit I agree.