Author Topic: A Reality check  (Read 2194 times)

BayGBM

• Getbig V
A Reality check
« on: October 14, 2009, 07:38:29 PM »
At 5ft 11in and 121/2st Miller is considered too big to model even plus-size lines

At first glance it's just the kind of playful picture your boyfriend might snap of you, caught unawares on a lazy Sunday morning. The subject looks glowing, happy, natural, totally at ease with her body and herself.

But something is awry. Something that causes you to do a double-take. Especially given that this photo has just appeared in a glossy magazine. By now, I bet you've spotted it. What I am referring to is the small roll of fat around the middle of this 20-year-old model.

It might be a tiny imperfection, but when it was published in the American edition of Glamour magazine, it appeared amid hundreds of pages of adverts and fashion shots in which the models have no blemishes, no frown lines, no wrinkles and certainly no body fat.

So what impact did this little mound of flesh have? Were women disgusted that such an offensive thing should be displayed in public?

Well, even though it was only 3in square and hidden away on page 194, this extraordinary image of a woman with wobbly bits that have not been airbrushed away has sparked a whirlwind of reaction - almost all of it positive.

Hundreds of readers flooded the magazine's website the moment after the image first appeared, roaring their approval and appreciation with comments like: 'I love this picture. I was starting to despair of ever seeing real women in magazines and it made me reassess how I look at myself. I have a similar tummy which I hate - but look at her, she's beautiful.'

Such was the excitement that Lizzie Miller's tummy featured as a story on America's morning TV programme Today, one of the most-watched shows in the country.

Now Glamour is planning a follow-up feature in November's issue which will include more shots of Miller.

Many of the women who spoke out in support of the image were horrified that professional Lizzie - who is 5ft 11in and 121/2st - is considered too big to model even plus-size lines.

Having been rejected as too big, she said the reaction to her picture proves 'that the world is hungry to see pictures of normal women'. She's so right...

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/femail/article-1210814/Lizzie-Millers-Glamour-magazine-shoot-How-models-picture-shook-world-flabby-tummy-all.html

Emmortal

• Getbig V
Re: A Reality check
« Reply #1 on: October 15, 2009, 02:24:15 AM »
According to Ralph Lauren (and Photoshop) yea she's way too big:

http://photoshopdisasters.blogspot.com/2009/10/ralph-lauren-hits-keep-on-coming.html

drkaje

• Getbig V
  • Quiet, Err. I'm transmitting rage.
« Reply #2 on: October 15, 2009, 06:12:58 AM »
FWIW,

I'd hit her over that anorexic, air brushed chick all day long. :)

Butterbean

• Getbig V
« Reply #3 on: October 15, 2009, 06:46:40 AM »
121/2st

What does this mean?  Is she 121 lbs?  But what is /2st?
R

drkaje

• Getbig V
« Reply #4 on: October 15, 2009, 07:00:36 AM »
I looked again.

She also has a much prettier face and great smile compared to the one that has apparently starved herself to death.

YoungBlood

• Getbig V
  • Weee!
« Reply #5 on: October 15, 2009, 08:07:57 AM »

I don't know what it means STella, but I did stay at a Holiday Inn Express last night, so I'm going to go with her being in the 121st platoon in Vietnam. :D

kiwiol

• Getbig V
  • Who is John Galt?
« Reply #6 on: October 15, 2009, 08:22:11 AM »

It's the UK, so they use Stone as the unit of measuring weight. Which means it's 12.5 stones = 175 lb

Edit:* Sorry STella, I just realized this is the Girls board, lol. Feel free to nuke my post after you've read it.

Princess L

• Getbig V
  • I stop for turtles
« Reply #7 on: October 15, 2009, 10:06:50 AM »
It's the UK, so they use Stone as the unit of measuring weight. Which means it's 12.5 stones = 175 lb

Edit:* Sorry STella, I just realized this is the Girls board, lol. Feel free to nuke my post after you've read it.

I was gonna say, I know the camera adds weight... but there's no way that's 121 lbs
:

SamoanIrishman

• Getbig IV
  • Why stress the little people..
« Reply #8 on: October 15, 2009, 11:54:25 AM »
While I don't think the blonde is 122lbs...I think she is beautiful and would date her in a heartbeat (assuming she has an IQ higher than a stapler and a sense of humor, honest etc..)

Migs

• Getbig V
  • THERE WAS A FIRE FIGHT!!!!
« Reply #9 on: October 15, 2009, 06:00:43 PM »
While I don't think the blonde is 122lbs...I think she is beautiful and would date her in a heartbeat (assuming she has an IQ higher than a stapler and a sense of humor, honest etc..)

All optional for me at the moment

drkaje

• Getbig V
« Reply #10 on: October 16, 2009, 06:22:06 AM »
I bet she can really take a banging!!

Butterbean

• Getbig V
« Reply #11 on: October 16, 2009, 06:34:03 AM »
I don't know what it means STella, but I did stay at a Holiday Inn Express last night, so I'm going to go with her being in the 121st platoon in Vietnam. :D
;D

Thanks kiwi!  She did look bigger than 121 lbs.  I am surprised to read that 175 lbs at her height is too big for plus sized model though.

R

Migs

• Getbig V
  • THERE WAS A FIRE FIGHT!!!!
« Reply #12 on: October 16, 2009, 06:11:23 PM »
i'd hit it.  Then pinch her lil roll and call her ly little debbie.  After i awake from the castration, i'll pack my bags and leave. She is very attractive.  reminds of someone, but don't remember her name.

Eyeball Chambers

• Getbig V
  • Would you hold still? You're making me fuck up...
« Reply #13 on: October 17, 2009, 05:36:58 PM »
i'd hit it.  Then pinch her lil roll and call her ly little debbie.  After i awake from the castration, i'll pack my bags and leave. She is very attractive.  reminds of someone, but don't remember her name.

hahaha  ;D
S