Author Topic: FDA warns Procter & Gamble for adding vitamin C to cold medicines  (Read 2027 times)

IronMagazine.com

• Getbig IV
  • IronMag Bodybuilding Blog Online Since 2001
FDA warns Procter & Gamble for adding vitamin C to cold medicines

WASHINGTON — Federal drug regulators warned Procter & Gamble on Wednesday for adding vitamin C to its Vicks cold formulas, a combination not allowed by federal regulations. According to the Food and Drug Administration, a panel of experts found "no study which demonstrated that vitamin C is unequivocally effective for the prevention or treatment of the common cold." In general, the FDA discourages companies from packaging drugs with dietary supplements because it gives the impression that the FDA has evaluated both when in fact the agency regulates only drugs. The FDA’s letter, posted online Wednesday, gives the Cincinnati-based company 15 business days to respond with a plan for addressing the violations.

— The Associated Press

::)

Tombo

• Getbig V
Re: FDA warns Procter & Gamble for adding vitamin C to cold medicines
« Reply #1 on: October 15, 2009, 08:17:18 AM »
what a POS regulatory body

swings whichever way they 'feel' like based on whos payin/what side of the bed 'they' woke up on

blacks.

Ganuvanx

• Getbig II
  • There's somethin out there, and it ain't no man.
« Reply #2 on: October 15, 2009, 08:36:13 AM »
FDA - The same people who approved aspertame and human implantable microchips. Yeah, I trust these guys...

Mr. Magoo

• Getbig V
  • THE most mistaken identity on getbig
« Reply #3 on: October 15, 2009, 09:47:29 AM »
technically a high dosage of a dietary supplement is considered a "drug", so how can the FDA differentiate the two

jtsunami

• Time Out
  • Getbig V
  • I support Bigbobs
« Reply #4 on: October 15, 2009, 03:37:15 PM »
probably discourages vitamin C because it actually works, so they don't want the people to figure that out and quit buying all the junk drugs.

no because it is not recommended to be added to that combination. 

jt
TEAM Nasser

tbombz

• Getbig V
  • Psalms 150
« Reply #5 on: October 15, 2009, 07:35:11 PM »
its bullshit but you can see  where they might be coming from.....  technically vitamin c is the same thing as "no explode" and "acai juice", that is, as far as the fda categorizing system of drugs..  and the fda doesnt regulate study or oversee anyof these "supplements"... so when they are approving a higher scheduled drug for approval, how can they approve it when there is component of that drug that they dont have any oficial tests or studies on..

although im speculating that the fda doesnt have studies on vitamin c... they possibly could, ive been wrong before befor.e

Tombo

• Getbig V
« Reply #6 on: October 16, 2009, 11:15:47 AM »
its bullshit but you can see  where they might be coming from.....  technically vitamin c is the same thing as "no explode" and "acai juice", that is, as far as the fda categorizing system of drugs..  and the fda doesnt regulate study or oversee anyof these "supplements"... so when they are approving a higher scheduled drug for approval, how can they approve it when there is component of that drug that they dont have any oficial tests or studies on..

although im speculating that the fda doesnt have studies on vitamin c... they possibly could, ive been wrong before befor.e

dude do you have any idea how long vitamin C has been in circulation as a supplement?

nycbull

• Getbig V
  • Team Jay Should Have Won
« Reply #7 on: October 16, 2009, 02:56:33 PM »
procter and gamble are a bunch of pricks, they promised to phase out animal testing over 10 yrs ago, and never did. Bunch of crooks.

body88

« Reply #8 on: October 16, 2009, 02:59:40 PM »
probably discourages vitamin C because it actually works, so they don't want the people to figure that out and quit buying all the junk drugs.

You understand that a cold medicine such as Vicks is not meant to cure an ailment, it's meant to make the symptoms manageable until your body fights off the cold or virus, correct?  Most people understand this, I guess you don't.

jr

• Getbig V
  • No homo of peace
« Reply #9 on: October 16, 2009, 04:57:11 PM »
I always seem to catch colds when I run out of vitamin C.

3Dkiller

• Getbig IV
  • Fuck The New World Order
« Reply #10 on: October 16, 2009, 06:03:00 PM »
FDA - The same people who approved aspertame and human implantable microchips. Yeah, I trust these guys...

also dont forget E621 Monosodium Glutamate :)
TEAM WOLF

CalvinH

• Getbig V
  • Spastic Tarted Cvunt
« Reply #11 on: October 16, 2009, 06:03:42 PM »
You understand that a cold medicine such as Vicks is not meant to cure an ailment, it's meant to make the symptoms manageable until your body fights off the cold or virus, correct?  Most people understand this, I guess you don't.

On a roll tonight :)

jtsunami

• Time Out
  • Getbig V
  • I support Bigbobs
« Reply #12 on: October 16, 2009, 07:03:22 PM »

BOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO OOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOM
TEAM Nasser

aliamini

• Competitors II
  • Getbig IV
  • I'm that damn good
« Reply #13 on: October 16, 2009, 09:03:53 PM »
No study up-to-date has shown that Vitamin C improves immune system … yet everyone goes by that myth and Drinks orange or lemon juice when they have a cold … in some studies Vitamin C has shown to break down Vitamin B-12 which is responsible in producing red blood cells … which eventually has a much higher impact on the body compare the Vitamin C … so the moral of the story … stay away from Vitamin C when supplementing with Vitamin B … and so far there is no proof of Vitamin C’s immune boosting mechanism

jtsunami

• Time Out
  • Getbig V
  • I support Bigbobs
« Reply #14 on: October 16, 2009, 09:05:29 PM »
No study up-to-date has shown that Vitamin C improves immune system … yet everyone goes by that myth and Drinks orange or lemon juice when they have a cold … in some studies Vitamin C has shown to break down Vitamin B-12 which is responsible in producing red blood cells … which eventually has a much higher impact on the body compare the Vitamin C … so the moral of the story … stay away from Vitamin C when supplementing with Vitamin B … and so far there is no proof of Vitamin C’s immune boosting mechanism

good post
TEAM Nasser

Tombo

• Getbig V
« Reply #15 on: October 19, 2009, 12:00:07 AM »

so much shit out there .. who cares? vitamin C helps with alot of bodily functions