Author Topic: Cap & Trade has a $1.00 dollar per gallon fuel tax. (Thank you Democrats!)  (Read 1316 times)

Soul Crusher

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
  • Doesnt lie about lifting.
Wednesday, October 21, 2009
Democrats' hidden gas tax
www.washingtontimes.com
Sen. Kay Bailey Hutchison and Sen. Christopher S. Bond

There's something the Democratic lawmakers who are pushing cap-and-trade legislation don't want the public to know. The controversial climate-change legislation winding its way through Congress will impose a massive new national gas tax on the American people. We discovered this by analyzing what the Waxman-Markey cap-and-trade bill would do to gas prices and what Americans spend on gasoline, diesel and jet fuels. We found that cap-and-trade legislation will levy a $3.6 trillion gas-tax increase that will impact every American and important segments of our economy.

The goal of this climate-change legislation is actually to increase the price of traditional forms of carbon-based energy such as coal, gas and oil so that consumers will respond by using less of it. Some lawmakers call this "setting the price on carbon." Economists refer to this kind of policy as a price signal. But the bottom line is that the price of energy will go up. Ultimately, all Americans will pay directly or indirectly for the higher fuel prices the cap-and-trade legislation will cause.

Americans travel more than 200 million vehicle miles each month, and annually we spend nearly $1.2 trillion on gasoline and oil. The average household spends 5 percent of its annual budget on fuel. For many, gasoline is a mandatory expense. And this legislation disproportionately hits middle and lower income households that tend to have longer commutes to work and must drive in order to work. These families will be hit especially hard by the projected $1 per gallon increase for the additional gas tax the cap-and-trade legislation will bring.

Further, Americans will be double-hit by the gas tax when it raises the costs of goods and services such as groceries and utilities they must continue to purchase. Energy costs are among businesses' top operational expenses already. While companies face a variety of energy expenses, ranging from heating and cooling their work space to powering equipment and lighting, operating their vehicles is the most costly. Every company, from the small-town local florist to a package delivery service with nationwide operations, will be hard hit. In order for these businesses to withstand the heavier tax burden and to remain profitable, they will be forced to pass these energy cost increases along to consumers through higher prices.

Several industries will be penalized more severely by the gas tax than others. Our nation's farmers and ranchers, who are tasked with producing high-quality goods for much of the world, will be harmed by Waxman-Markey's $2 trillion tax on gasoline and $1.3 trillion tax on diesel fuel. Gas- and diesel-powered equipment, ranging from tractors to combines to fertilizing systems, are the operational foundation of American farms and ranches. Under the climate-change legislation, they will face $550 million in higher fuel costs in 2020 and $1.65 billion in 2050.

The American trucking industry will be another target of the cap-and-trade gas tax. In 2007, 1.7 million drivers of tractor-trailers logged 145 billion vehicle miles, consuming 28.5 billion gallons of fuel. That equates to $34,560 in annual fuel costs per driver. That number will skyrocket under Waxman-Markey. And when you consider that the average self-employed truck driver earns $43,545 in net revenue, the gas tax is essentially a new tax on the middle class. Of course, truckers will not suffer these higher gas taxes alone. Their costs are shared by all consumers. At some point, nearly everything bought or sold must be shipped from a manufacturer to a retailer. Thus, the sweeping effects of the gas tax will actually harm our entire economy.

Despite all this pain for families, farmers, truckers and businesses, there is no gain for our environment. Even U.S. Environmental Protection Agency Administrator Lisa P. Jackson admits that unless China and India impose similar draconian taxes and regulations, there will be no effect on world temperatures. So what is the purpose of the increase in costs to every American, and the consequent loss of jobs, if they will not have an effect on the global environment?

Under the majority congressional leadership, trillion-dollar figures have been discussed so nonchalantly in Washington recently that, unfortunately, they're starting to lose their shock value. Americans must know that the $3.6 trillion gas tax is a very real number with consequences for all of us. That is why we will fight the Waxman-Markey and Kerry-Boxer bills. We can improve the environment and economy through American ingenuity and technological advancement, not with taxes and mandates that increase costs and burden American families and businesses.

Kay Bailey Hutchison is a Republican senator from Texas, and Christopher S. Bond is a Republican senator from Missouri.

________________________ ________________________ _________________

Thank you Democrats! 

240 is Back

• Getbig V
  • Complete website for only $300- www.300website.com
good to see us talking about issues that really affect us, and not so much about Acorn or mccain's tweeted boobs.

Soul Crusher

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
good to see us talking about issues that really affect us, and not so much about Acorn or mccain's tweeted boobs.

I have been talking about this for MONTHS! 

Hedgehog

• Getbig V
  • It Rubs The Lotion On Its Skin.
Raising the tax on certain fuels are a very good way of lessening the control of the oil corporations actually.

Because with higher tax on fuel, people will opt for more efficient cars and less money will end up with the big oil corporations.

This should've been done years ago.

However, I'm not gonna praise it until it's actually been voted on.

The oil lobby is strong as hell.

Wouldn't surprise me if we will see lots of articles about how bad this will be for the US economy, et al.

When, if you look at countries with high gas tax, like Norway, it's quite the countrary.
As empty as paradise

Soul Crusher

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
Raising the tax on certain fuels are a very good way of lessening the control of the oil corporations actually.

Because with higher tax on fuel, people will opt for more efficient cars and less money will end up with the big oil corporations.

This should've been done years ago.

However, I'm not gonna praise it until it's actually been voted on.

The oil lobby is strong as hell.

Wouldn't surprise me if we will see lots of articles about how bad this will be for the US economy, et al.

When, if you look at countries with high gas tax, like Norway, it's quite the countrary.

We have different economies.  You cant compare a nation like we have to Europe.  The two are completely different.

The cost of goods will rise and we will have more joblessess. 

BTW - the govt, OPEC, etc, is/are the main cause for the higher oil pricies, not the companies themselves. 

This will cause the price of food to go bezerk due to the increased shipping costs. 

This is a disaster.     

Soul Crusher

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
Another thing, WHO THE F&*%$ is the government to tell me what car to drive? 

Kazan

• Getbig V
  • Sic vis pacem, parabellum

The government has been working on demonizing "big oil" for decades, they point out the profits......, ever wonder why you don't see the tax you pay on a gallon of gas at the pump? People would flip out it they actually knew what the tax was on each gallon of gas, state, federal etc. Now the blood suckers want to back door tax everyone yet again. Obama we aren't going to raise taxes on the middle class, we are just going to tax every fucking product or service you use ::)
ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Soul Crusher

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
The government has been working on demonizing "big oil" for decades, they point out the profits......, ever wonder why you don't see the tax you pay on a gallon of gas at the pump? People would flip out it they actually knew what the tax was on each gallon of gas, state, federal etc. Now the blood suckers want to back door tax everyone yet again. Obama we aren't going to raise taxes on the middle class, we are just going to tax every fucking product or service you use ::)

THE VILE PIGS IN THE GOVT MAKE MORE PER GALLON ON OIL THAN DO THE COMPANIES WHO ACTUALLY BRING IT TO THE MARKET. 

Soul Crusher

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
Hedge -

This economy needs cheap/affordable/predictably priced fuel.  When oil went to $4.00 a gallon, our economy stopped on a dime. 

We simply cant sustain this garbage.   

tonymctones

• Getbig V
I have been talking about this for MONTHS! 
its true 240 didnt notice it b/c he was to busy starting threads about palin, rush and fox news...you know the things that matter  ;)

Soul Crusher

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
its true 240 didnt notice it b/c he was to busy starting threads about palin, rush and fox news...you know the things that matter  ;)

If this goes through, just as I CORRECTLY predicted the results of the "stimulus bill", unemployment will go to heights previously unimagined. 

This truly would be the end.  Game over. 

Cap & Trade to me is even worse than the Health Scam. 

The details of this plan are so horrific that I cant even believe one person would support unless they wanted the nation to fail.  Oh thats right . . . . . .

THIS IS WHY I HOPE & PRAY ****** FAILS IN EVERYTHING HE DOES.

****** FAILURE = AMERICA'S SUCCESS.   

The Showstoppa

• Getbig V
  • Call the vet, cause these pythons are sick!
33, you are right that you can't compare it to europe.  European countries are much smaller, with more dense populations so that public transportation is a viable option.  In the states the average commute to work is probably 30 minutes, without any option for public transportation in many areas.  We have to face the fact we are reliant on fuel and develop from there.

Personally, I would prefer to see oil/gas treated like what it is, and absolutely necessary public utility.  No reason a system couldn't be worked out to keep it affordable, yet the providers make a profit.

shootfighter1

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
  • Competitor- NABBA Nationals Overall Champ
Hedge, your crazy bro...we already have hidden taxes on fuel.  If they raise fuel taxes (even close to) another $1.00 per gallon, gas skyrockets again which affects shipping and transport of all goods.  So, this not only hurts people, it cripples business.
Horrible idea.  Cap & Trade is a pure nightmare.  Different healthcare solutions have merit and deserve debate.  Cap & Trade is completely foolish, will hurt the economy even more and hurt the American people.
Too many jobs have already moved overseas where there are less regulation and taxation.

kcballer

• Getbig V
  • In you I feel so pretty, In you I taste God

I would like to see where they are telling you what to drive.  You want to drive a hummer? Go ahead 333 there is no law against it. 
Abandon every hope...

Soul Crusher

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
I would like to see where they are telling you what to drive.  You want to drive a hummer? Go ahead 333 there is no law against it. 

By driving the cost of fuel up to crazy levels they force everyone into these little go carts no one wants. 

kcballer

• Getbig V
By driving the cost of fuel up to crazy levels they force everyone into these little go carts no one wants. 

No they don't.  I fail to see where the people have a right to cheap fuel.  If you don't have a so called right to affordable health care, why should you have a right to affordable oil?

Abandon every hope...

Soul Crusher

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
No they don't.  I fail to see where the people have a right to cheap fuel.  If you don't have a so called right to affordable health care, why should you have a right to affordable oil?

And when they do the same thing to food ????

And how about when people cant afford to heat their homes?

What do you want?  People in tents across a camp fire?

kcballer

• Getbig V
And when they do the same thing to food ????

And how about when people cant afford to heat their homes?

What do you want?  People in tents across a camp fire?

It won't matter if they are all dead from having no insurance 333.  But hey that's not a right either huh?
Abandon every hope...

Soul Crusher

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
It won't matter if they are all dead from having no insurance 333.  But hey that's not a right either huh?

Oh please.  I went for 8 years without insurance.  I paid for costs out of pocket and and put away over 50K I would have paid in premiuims.  I bought a disability policy that covered some stuff and now have that money earning interest. 

Give me a break with that propaganda.  Cut off your cable and pay for your insurance if it is so important to you. 

kcballer

• Getbig V
Oh please.  I went for 8 years without insurance.  I paid for costs out of pocket and and put away over 50K I would have paid in premiuims.  I bought a disability policy that covered some stuff and now have that money earning interest. 

Give me a break with that propaganda.  Cut off your cable and pay for your insurance if it is so important to you. 

I have insurance, i don't need to cut off my cable. 

BTW this is no propaganda there is a 40% higher chance of death for the uninsured under 65.  But hey if 40,000 people dying a year is propaganda.  What would that make 9/11 and the subsequent wars?
Abandon every hope...

Soul Crusher

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
I have insurance, i don't need to cut off my cable. 

BTW this is no propaganda there is a 40% higher chance of death for the uninsured under 65.  But hey if 40,000 people dying a year is propaganda.  What would that make 9/11 and the subsequent wars?

Those numbers are pure nonsense.  I want to see these peoples lives, their spending habits, their lifestyle choices, etc. 

Most of these people probably have cable tv, drink a ton, buy tons of scratch offs, etc.   

kcballer

• Getbig V
Those numbers are pure nonsense.  I want to see these peoples lives, their spending habits, their lifestyle choices, etc. 

Most of these people probably have cable tv, drink a ton, buy tons of scratch offs, etc.   

How is it pure nonsense? And how are your assumptions correct and not nonsense? Have you too done a study in this field? If so please elaborate.
Abandon every hope...

Soul Crusher

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
How is it pure nonsense? And how are your assumptions correct and not nonsense? Have you too done a study in this field? If so please elaborate.

What did these people die from? 
Who are these people?
What is on their death certificate?
What was their income?
Was govt insurance available via medicaid etc?

Until you give me specifics, this is pure nonsense propaganda. 

kcballer

• Getbig V
What did these people die from? 
Who are these people?
What is on their death certificate?
What was their income?
Was govt insurance available via medicaid etc?

Until you give me specifics, this is pure nonsense propaganda. 

Research it and read it yourself.  I'm not your lacky.  If you want to stay uninformed then please be my guest.  This study and the information from it are readily available.  If you want the answers go find them.  If not, keep your head in the sand and don't complain when gas prices rise as if cheap fuel is a right but health care isn't.

Abandon every hope...

Soul Crusher

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
Research it and read it yourself.  I'm not your lacky.  If you want to stay uninformed then please be my guest.  This study and the information from it are readily available.  If you want the answers go find them.  If not, keep your head in the sand and don't complain when gas prices rise as if cheap fuel is a right but health care isn't.

I didnt say it was a right, but at the same time they should not be getting in the way and imposing conditions that make it more expensive than need be.