Author Topic: The Anti-Rape Amendment Hypocrisy  (Read 1132 times)

Hedgehog

• Getbig V
  • It Rubs The Lotion On Its Skin.
The Anti-Rape Amendment Hypocrisy
« on: October 22, 2009, 04:12:00 AM »
I won't cut and paste like a few of you usually do. But here's a link to an interesting article.

http://www.examiner.com/x-18104-Sonoma-County-Civil-Rights-Examiner~y2009m10d21-DOD-and-thirty-GOP-senators-oppose-antirape-amendment

The Cliffs Notes:

*A female Halliburton staffer was gang raped in Iraq. Halliburton "lost" the rape kit that was performed on the woman. Her contract denied her the right to a lawsuit against the company.

*The anti-rape amendment would block the government from engaging in contracts with companies that had these types of deals.

*30 Republican Senators voted against this anti-rape amendment.

* Various people have pointed out the glaring hypocrisy in this. Wanting to de-fund ACORN when a couple of their employees participate in voting fraud - something ACORN reported themselves. At the same time wanting to protect Halliburton's contracts with the government. Their employees only gang raped. So what's the big deal, right?

I don't have an opinion on ACORN.

But shouldn't these senators who wants to de-fund ACORN be in favor of stopping contracts to a company who sabotages criminal investigations? Into gang rapes? ::)
As empty as paradise

The Showstoppa

• Getbig V
  • Call the vet, cause these pythons are sick!
Re: The Anti-Rape Amendment Hypocrisy
« Reply #1 on: October 22, 2009, 04:52:57 AM »
I won't cut and paste like a few of you usually do. But here's a link to an interesting article.

http://www.examiner.com/x-18104-Sonoma-County-Civil-Rights-Examiner~y2009m10d21-DOD-and-thirty-GOP-senators-oppose-antirape-amendment

The Cliffs Notes:

*A female Halliburton staffer was gang raped in Iraq. Halliburton "lost" the rape kit that was performed on the woman. Her contract denied her the right to a lawsuit against the company.

*The anti-rape amendment would block the government from engaging in contracts with companies that had these types of deals.

*30 Republican Senators voted against this anti-rape amendment.

* Various people have pointed out the glaring hypocrisy in this. Wanting to de-fund ACORN when a couple of their employees participate in voting fraud - something ACORN reported themselves. At the same time wanting to protect Halliburton's contracts with the government. Their employees only gang raped. So what's the big deal, right?

I don't have an opinion on ACORN.

But shouldn't these senators who wants to de-fund ACORN be in favor of stopping contracts to a company who sabotages criminal investigations? Into gang rapes? ::)

I heard about this Hedge.  Disgusting.  And there is no question it is hypocritical and the 30 jackasses that voted against it are an embarrasment.  I have a strong opinion on ACORN, but I also think this is nothing more than partisan bullshit.

Hugo Chavez

• Getbig V
« Reply #2 on: October 22, 2009, 05:02:28 AM »
wondering how it's even legal to put that in a contract?  I guess you can put anything in a contract no matter how illegal or unethical the act.  corporations suck.  It should be a given that criminal offenses are above-beyond contract protection.

The Showstoppa

• Getbig V
« Reply #3 on: October 22, 2009, 05:18:51 AM »
wondering how it's even legal to put that in a contract?  I guess you can put anything in a contract no matter how illegal or unethical the act.  corporations suck.  It should be a given that criminal offenses are above-beyond contract protection.

I know.  What is idiotic about it too is that US military members would be charged if they raped a fellow soldier, yet these criminals have it in their govt contract that they can't be?  WTF?

drkaje

• Getbig V
  • Quiet, Err. I'm transmitting rage.
« Reply #4 on: October 22, 2009, 05:25:59 AM »
That seems pretty wrong on its face. Was she suing the company for failing to provide adequate protection while in Iraq?

Here's the thing; in America you can't sue an employer for worker's comp injuries unless able to prove negligence.

George Whorewell

• Getbig V
  • TND
« Reply #5 on: October 22, 2009, 07:01:50 AM »
What's even more shocking is that someone can contract themselves out of seeking redress for being raped. The contract seems unenforcable on its face-- While American law is governed by very lax freedom of contract principles, it's hard to imagine a court ruling against this woman being able to bring an action in court as a matter of public policy.

Could you imagine a hooters girl signing a contract which says she cannot sue her employer if she is raped on the premises?

Was she raped by other Halliburton employees?

Hedgehog

• Getbig V
« Reply #6 on: October 22, 2009, 07:08:01 AM »
What's even more shocking is that someone can contract themselves out of seeking redress for being raped. The contract seems unenforcable on its face-- While American law is governed by very lax freedom of contract principles, it's hard to imagine a court ruling against this woman being able to bring an action in court as a matter of public policy.

Could you imagine a hooters girl signing a contract which says she cannot sue her employer if she is raped on the premises?

Was she raped by other Halliburton employees?

Are you putting the blame on the girl for signing the contract?

As empty as paradise

The Showstoppa

• Getbig V
« Reply #7 on: October 22, 2009, 07:19:52 AM »
Are you putting the blame on the girl for signing the contract?

Huh? I didn't get that AT ALL from his post.

Hedgehog

• Getbig V
« Reply #8 on: October 22, 2009, 07:24:24 AM »
Huh? I didn't get that AT ALL from his post.

I re-read it and I understand I got it all wrong. :-[

As empty as paradise

The Showstoppa

• Getbig V
« Reply #9 on: October 22, 2009, 07:40:39 AM »
I re-read it and I understand I got it all wrong. :-[

I was questioning my comprehension too because of your comment.....haha

240 is Back

• Getbig V
  • Complete website for only $300- www.300website.com
« Reply #10 on: October 22, 2009, 08:01:35 AM »
one Q...

Did ACORN at any time work to PREVENT criminal prosecution of its criminal employees?

I said it with ACORN, you can't shit on a company when it has bad seeds - fire them and move on.  But IF they worked to keep these folks employed (as it seems happened with this defense company) that's way worse.

MRDUMPLING

• Getbig IV
  • Getbig!
« Reply #11 on: October 22, 2009, 08:15:49 AM »
one Q...

Did ACORN at any time work to PREVENT criminal prosecution of its criminal employees?

I said it with ACORN, you can't shit on a company when it has bad seeds - fire them and move on.  But IF they worked to keep these folks employed (as it seems happened with this defense company) that's way worse.

The thing is with ACORN is that the corruption is wide spread across many states.  This implies to me that those "bad employees", had some training to do what they were doing.  Therefore ACORN is just as bad as Haliburtion IF they told their employees they can do that.  Obviously they are both corrupt corporations that need to be done away with. 

Hugo Chavez

• Getbig V
« Reply #12 on: October 22, 2009, 03:59:34 PM »
That seems pretty wrong on its face. Was she suing the company for failing to provide adequate protection while in Iraq?

Here's the thing; in America you can't sue an employer for worker's comp injuries unless able to prove negligence.
I guess that wouldn't be to hard to prove negligence if the one's committing the crime were on the clock/getting paid during the time it happened.  There's a really good chance that's the case here with how those guys get paid.

George Whorewell

• Getbig V
  • TND
« Reply #13 on: October 22, 2009, 04:08:42 PM »
I highly doubt negligence could be the basis of the claim against her employer.

What duty did her employer breach? Failure to prevent an employee from being gang raped by other employees?

Unless she can argue negligent hiring resulted in her injury-- (like the employees were hired even though they were sex offenders) There is no negligence claim here at all.

It seems like some sort of vicarious liability claim might be more likely, but then again who the hell knows.

Shocking and disturbing stuff to say the least.

240 is Back

• Getbig V
  • Complete website for only $300- www.300website.com
« Reply #14 on: October 22, 2009, 04:39:59 PM »
ACORN is just as bad as Haliburtion IF they told their employees they can do that. 

is there any evidence of this?

grab an umbrella

• Getbig IV
« Reply #15 on: October 22, 2009, 05:55:48 PM »
If I read the synopsis correct, said female signed a binding document preventing her from suing halliburton.  While what happened to her is disgusting, she should have thought of the ramifications of signing such a binding contract.

Hugo Chavez

• Getbig V
« Reply #16 on: October 22, 2009, 06:22:53 PM »
If I read the synopsis correct, said female signed a binding document preventing her from suing halliburton.  While what happened to her is disgusting, she should have thought of the ramifications of signing such a binding contract.
uh, no contract should be allowed to wave responsibility of a felony assault.  come on...  yea, corporate lawyers are real clever but there should be obvious limits which this case makes an obvious point for.

grab an umbrella

• Getbig IV
« Reply #17 on: October 22, 2009, 06:37:42 PM »
Hugo, how much do you know about contract law?  If a stipulation in the contract is against the law, it will be ruled null in court.

Hugo Chavez

• Getbig V
« Reply #18 on: October 22, 2009, 06:45:43 PM »
Hugo, how much do you know about contract law?  If a stipulation in the contract is against the law, it will be ruled null in court.
read what i said again and tell me how this is a valid reply?