Author Topic: Paterson to Obama: "You just cost NY a billion dollars, champ"  (Read 889 times)

Soul Crusher

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
  • Doesnt lie about lifting.
Paterson to Obama: "You just cost NY a billion dollars, champ"
« on: October 22, 2009, 01:00:11 PM »
Paterson to Obama: You just cost NY a billion dollars, champ
posted at 2:55 pm on October 22, 2009 by Ed Morrissey

Share on Facebook | printer-friendly Barack Obama’s war on Wall Street has claimed one significant casualty so far: the state of New York.  While the Pay Czar claws back bonuses and salaries from bailed-out investment firms, which was a condition of taking the TARP money (not exactly a voluntary act anyway), the big reduction means a big hit in New York state income revenues.  Governor David Paterson took the opportunity to slam Obama over the missing money, observes the New York, er, Observer:

David Paterson, ever the friend of the White House, just attacked the Obama administration’s decision to restrict bonus pay with John Gambling on WOR.

“That probably cost New York $1 billion,” Paterson said. “And look, I’m not going to defend these people that run these companies. They’ve frittered away a lot of money in these reckless schemes. But the reality is, in the end, we’ve lost $1 billion dollars because of that act. And there goes that pipe dream legislators engaged in reacting to my cuts.”

This comes as no shock, since the Obama White House publicly pushed Paterson not to run for re-election.  Paterson suggested that Obama was just cranky because the President hadn’t accomplished much in his term, and Paterson’s wife suggested that Obama might have something against black governors.  By those standards, this is pretty mild.

Paterson apparently seeks to undermine Obama’s populist bragging rights on the clawback.  While his progressive wing fumes over Afghanistan and Obama’s tepid support for a public option, Obama must have hoped that stripping Wall Street executives of large amounts of cash would endear himself to their class-warrior hearts.  Paterson just reminds everyone that a large and unintended side effect is that the money won’t come to the state coffers, leaving the Empire State with a billion-dollar hole in the budget.
Of course, there are other side effects as well.  That money won’t get spent in New York, either, at least not directly.  That means the local and state economy will drag as billions of dollars that might go for consumption get seized instead.  Paterson fails to mention this, perhaps not wanting to get too supply-side ahead of his primary battle against Andrew Cuomo.  We can bet that Rudy Giuliani will eventually pick up that argument, though, and many New Yorkers will understand it when he does.

________________________ ________________________ ______________

I heard this interview this morning.  NY is totally screwed with all the fantacial liberals running this state. 

Its over.  1970's here we come. 

BM OUT

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
Re: Paterson to Obama: "You just cost NY a billion dollars, champ"
« Reply #1 on: October 22, 2009, 01:10:17 PM »
Patterson cant see the big picture.

240 is Back

• Getbig V
  • Complete website for only $300- www.300website.com
« Reply #2 on: October 22, 2009, 01:11:50 PM »
Patterson cant see the big picture.

I see, said the blind man, as he picked up his hammer and saw.

kcballer

• Getbig V
  • In you I feel so pretty, In you I taste God
« Reply #3 on: October 22, 2009, 01:49:51 PM »
So let me get this straight 333.

You are against the bailouts and pointed out execs were still making bonuses and this angered you.  Now they are taking back the bonuses you are still angered?  Why exactly?
Abandon every hope...

Soul Crusher

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
« Reply #4 on: October 22, 2009, 02:18:38 PM »

You are against the bailouts and pointed out execs were still making bonuses and this angered you.  Now they are taking back the bonuses you are still angered?  Why exactly?

I didnt say that. 

I think we need to take our medicine and DRASTICALLY cut spending across the board. 

SAMSON123

• Getbig V
« Reply #5 on: October 22, 2009, 02:22:12 PM »

That is strange isn't it? Patterson's reaction is just as troubling in that he seems to be implying that as long as NY gets to keep the BILLION it is alright that these execs steal hundreds of Billions if not Trillions at this point.

I say make the wealthy pay their fair share of taxes, close all loopholes, tax all offshore businesses, imposes harsh tariffs on imports by american companies makign their products in otehr lands...even Mexico adn Canada. This should make a nice start to raising captal, ending greed, restoring manufacturing and business in america and putting americans back to work.
C

Soul Crusher

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
« Reply #6 on: October 22, 2009, 02:25:10 PM »
That is strange isn't it? Patterson's reaction is just as troubling in that he seems to be implying that as long as NY gets to keep the BILLION it is alright that these execs steal hundreds of Billions if not Trillions at this point.

I say make the wealthy pay their fair share of taxes, close all loopholes, tax all offshore businesses, imposes harsh tariffs on imports by american companies makign their products in otehr lands...even Mexico adn Canada. This should make a nice start to raising captal, ending greed, restoring manufacturing and business in america and putting americans back to work.

The state spends WWAAYYY too much.  I live in NYC and its ridiculous.  We pay the highest property taxes in the nation, we have cops making 200k a year and retiring at 40y/o, rampant waste fraud and abuse, etc. 

The state assembly is run by a tort lawyer who sues asbestos companies for a living. 

The state senate is no better.

SAMSON123

• Getbig V
« Reply #7 on: October 22, 2009, 08:00:18 PM »
The state spends WWAAYYY too much.  I live in NYC and its ridiculous.  We pay the highest property taxes in the nation, we have cops making 200k a year and retiring at 40y/o, rampant waste fraud and abuse, etc. 

The state assembly is run by a tort lawyer who sues asbestos companies for a living. 

The state senate is no better.

The corruption exists so that the someone(s) can take a massive cuts from the massive waste in expenditures that go on in NY. NY like many other cities in america is a Macrocosm of the microcosm of wall street businesses. The same way wall street wants to put caps on salaries AFTER they have walked away with TRILLIONS is how NY thinks it will fix its problems. It thinks by cutting education funding, closing schools, hospitals, nursing homes, doing away with financial aid for college students, cutting services etc will fix things...all of the funding that once went for these things will now go into the pockets of the corrupt scum that runs NY state and city.

Caps on salary in private business and state business will only cause the CRAFTY SCUM on wall street and Albany to find newer way to make money. Sorta like Mayors and Governors who work for a dollar per year, who cut all manner of deals with the private sector in exchange for millions in KICKBACKS. They make more in kickbacks than they ever could in salaries. So on the surface teh cap salaries and workign for a dollar is just a front put up to fool the fools who think honesty is in politics and business.

This game of backroom deals will/has occur on wall street and so the same in NY state. The defrauding of the taxpayers to pay outlandish salaries to police, like you mentioned, for cops/firemen filing fake disability claims and getting paid while they LIVE IT UP, for excessive overtime, for lawsuits citizens file for brutality etc etc etc  all the while students go without books, without teachers and even without classrooms, while the homeless and shelter populations explode, while real estate mogulss do land grabs, while the prices of everythign goes up your elected officials are WASTING MONEY like it literally GROWS ON TREES. I guess the politicians are reminding you that "YOU LITTLE PEOPLE" don't matter...it is us BIG BOYS who count.

NY like so many cities in america is sickeningly corrupt...
C

drkaje

• Getbig V
  • Quiet, Err. I'm transmitting rage.
« Reply #8 on: October 22, 2009, 09:02:40 PM »
Our politicians are to blame. New York state has too many taxes.

We (upstaters) also foot way too much of the bill for downstate.

Soul Crusher

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
« Reply #9 on: October 23, 2009, 05:56:03 AM »
Our politicians are to blame. New York state has too many taxes.

We (upstaters) also foot way too much of the bill for downstate.

I sit on the Board of my Co-Op building where I have my office.  I own the apartment I work out of.  We had our annual meeting last night to discuss finances, oil prices, etc.   

Our real estate taxes on the building are going up 20,000 dollars next year.  While part of the building is in the Bronx, the other half is in Westchester, so we pay Westchester taxes.  We have 74 owners so that means about $300.00 a person right there.  We just have the MTA payroll tax hike so the Superinrtendant costs more. 

Patterson just passed a huge tax increase as well. 

I am really trying to get the hell out of this liberal nightmare.  Its so out of control on every level.       

shootfighter1

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
  • Competitor- NABBA Nationals Overall Champ
« Reply #10 on: October 23, 2009, 06:26:25 AM »
The gov has grown too big and too bloated...and is inherently resistant to cutting itself.  The only option is NOT just to raise taxes, it is to decrease the size and spending of gov, at all levels.

I agree with Obama restricting pay and bonuses for companies that took the bailout.  They want our $?  There are conditions...period.  I am against bailouts in general but if a company takes it, they have given away full sovereignty.

Soul Crusher

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
« Reply #11 on: October 23, 2009, 06:28:13 AM »
The gov has grown too big and too bloated...and is inherently resistant to cutting itself.  The only option is NOT to raise taxes, it is to decrease the size and spending of gov, at all levels.

I agree with Obama restricting pay and bonuses for companies that took the bailout.  They want our $?  There are conditions...period.  I am against bailouts in general but if a company takes it, they have given away full sovereignty.

They need to let these crimnals go bankrupt.  If they are so brilliant and tlaented with their ivy league MBA's, surely they will be able to succeed elsewhere while not putting the entire nation at risk.   

SAMSON123

• Getbig V
« Reply #12 on: October 23, 2009, 08:31:13 AM »
I sit on the Board of my Co-Op building where I have my office.  I own the apartment I work out of.  We had our annual meeting last night to discuss finances, oil prices, etc.   

Our real estate taxes on the building are going up 20,000 dollars next year.  While part of the building is in the Bronx, the other half is in Westchester, so we pay Westchester taxes.  We have 74 owners so that means about $300.00 a person right there.  We just have the MTA payroll tax hike so the Superinrtendant costs more. 

I am really trying to get the hell out of this liberal nightmare.  Its so out of control on every level.       

IT IS CORRUPTION YOU ARE TRYING TO ESCAPE FROM...

They need to let these crimnals go bankrupt.  If they are so brilliant and tlaented with their ivy league MBA's, surely they will be able to succeed elsewhere while not putting the entire nation at risk.   

MBA's are just awards indicating who has been trained BEST in being the next CORPORATE/WALL STREET CROOK..
C

drkaje

• Getbig V
  • Quiet, Err. I'm transmitting rage.
« Reply #13 on: October 23, 2009, 12:02:01 PM »

New York politicians have never, ever.... ever, ever, ever, ever, ever met a tax they didn't love. On top of that our population is heavily weighted towards downstate and they can outvote us on ever issue. The typical bond issue may have up to 75% of all funds going downstate to continue funding the already bloated city. :)

Soul Crusher

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
« Reply #14 on: October 23, 2009, 12:08:34 PM »
New York politicians have never, ever.... ever, ever, ever, ever, ever met a tax they didn't love. On top of that our population is heavily weighted towards downstate and they can outvote us on ever issue. The typical bond issue may have up to 75% of all funds going downstate to continue funding the already bloated city. :)

Anyone living in NY who is in the private sector knows how insane Albany is. 

Option D

• Getbig V
  • Kelly the Con Way
« Reply #15 on: October 23, 2009, 12:11:47 PM »
Paterson to Obama: You just cost NY a billion dollars, champ
posted at 2:55 pm on October 22, 2009 by Ed Morrissey

Share on Facebook | printer-friendly Barack Obama’s war on Wall Street has claimed one significant casualty so far: the state of New York.  While the Pay Czar claws back bonuses and salaries from bailed-out investment firms, which was a condition of taking the TARP money (not exactly a voluntary act anyway), the big reduction means a big hit in New York state income revenues.  Governor David Paterson took the opportunity to slam Obama over the missing money, observes the New York, er, Observer:

David Paterson, ever the friend of the White House, just attacked the Obama administration’s decision to restrict bonus pay with John Gambling on WOR.

“That probably cost New York $1 billion,” Paterson said. “And look, I’m not going to defend these people that run these companies. They’ve frittered away a lot of money in these reckless schemes. But the reality is, in the end, we’ve lost $1 billion dollars because of that act. And there goes that pipe dream legislators engaged in reacting to my cuts.”

This comes as no shock, since the Obama White House publicly pushed Paterson not to run for re-election.  Paterson suggested that Obama was just cranky because the President hadn’t accomplished much in his term, and Paterson’s wife suggested that Obama might have something against black governors.  By those standards, this is pretty mild.

Paterson apparently seeks to undermine Obama’s populist bragging rights on the clawback.  While his progressive wing fumes over Afghanistan and Obama’s tepid support for a public option, Obama must have hoped that stripping Wall Street executives of large amounts of cash would endear himself to their class-warrior hearts.  Paterson just reminds everyone that a large and unintended side effect is that the money won’t come to the state coffers, leaving the Empire State with a billion-dollar hole in the budget.
Of course, there are other side effects as well.  That money won’t get spent in New York, either, at least not directly.  That means the local and state economy will drag as billions of dollars that might go for consumption get seized instead.  Paterson fails to mention this, perhaps not wanting to get too supply-side ahead of his primary battle against Andrew Cuomo.  We can bet that Rudy Giuliani will eventually pick up that argument, though, and many New Yorkers will understand it when he does.

________________________ ________________________ ______________

I heard this interview this morning.  NY is totally screwed with all the fantacial liberals running this state. 

Its over.  1970's here we come. 

[edit]

HMMMMMM ANGENDA ANYONE??

Ed Morrissey is an American conservative blogger, columnist, motivational speaker, and talk show host.[1]
Ed Morrissey
On March 1, 2008, [11] Morrissey became a full-time blogger, joining the pseudonymous Allahpundit at Hot Air (news site), a group blog founded and owned by Michelle Malkin. He also hosts the Ed Morrissey Show daily (3 pm ET, Monday-Friday).

Michelle Malkin (born October 20, 1970, née Maglalang) is an American conservative commentator, blogger and author.[1][2] Her weekly, syndicated column appears in a number of newspapers and websites nationwide.[1] She has been a guest on MSNBC, Fox News Channel, C-SPAN, and national radio programs. Malkin has written four books published by a leading conservative publisher, Regnery.

Soul Crusher

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
« Reply #16 on: October 23, 2009, 12:17:00 PM »

[edit]

HMMMMMM ANGENDA ANYONE??

Ed Morrissey is an American conservative blogger, columnist, motivational speaker, and talk show host.[1]
Ed Morrissey
On March 1, 2008, [11] Morrissey became a full-time blogger, joining the pseudonymous Allahpundit at Hot Air (news site), a group blog founded and owned by Michelle Malkin. He also hosts the Ed Morrissey Show daily (3 pm ET, Monday-Friday).

Michelle Malkin (born October 20, 1970, née Maglalang) is an American conservative commentator, blogger and author.[1][2] Her weekly, syndicated column appears in a number of newspapers and websites nationwide.[1] She has been a guest on MSNBC, Fox News Channel, C-SPAN, and national radio programs. Malkin has written four books published by a leading conservative publisher, Regnery.

AGAIN - reading comprehension Mal!

He said this in an interview on a radio program:  I MYSELF LISTENED TO! 

It was on a radio show I listen to every monrning called Rambling with Gambling.  I heard Gov. Pat say it myself.