Author Topic: Meal timing question?  (Read 3083 times)

11venthhour

• Getbig III
Meal timing question?
« on: October 26, 2009, 11:13:44 PM »
Questions from the graveyard:

I am currently working on 3rd shift and I am having troubles with meal timing. On every Monday night I return to work from the weekend. So I wake up around 8am and will not go to back to bed in most cases till 8am the next day. Also I take a nap for like 2-3 hours when I can, roughly 6-9pm is ideal.

Now my question is how should I break this day up as far as meals? Should I eat every waking 3 hours? And how do I manage the nap as far as eating?

Any help or suggestion would help!

YoungBlood

• Getbig V
  • Weee!
Re: Meal timing question?
« Reply #1 on: October 26, 2009, 11:17:08 PM »
Should I eat every waking 3 hours? And how do I manage the nap as far as eating?

I would just keep eating every 3hrs or so, yes.

As far as napping & meals, I would just continue eat every 3hrs, and then nap whenever you feel right about it, and if you screw up your meal schedule, just restart it after you wake up from your nap, unless it's only an hour after you've just eaten prior or similar.

flexingtonsteele

• Competitors II
  • Getbig V
  • The new age pussy Punisher!
« Reply #2 on: October 27, 2009, 09:31:07 PM »
just eat every 3 hours while your awake, ur body doesnt know what time it is.......just watch the carbs before u go to bed. id cut them out at bedtime.

11venthhour

• Getbig III
« Reply #3 on: October 28, 2009, 10:11:30 PM »
thanks

Princess L

• Getbig V
  • I stop for turtles
« Reply #4 on: October 29, 2009, 11:14:14 AM »
just eat every 3 hours while your awake, ur body doesnt know what time it is.......just watch the carbs before u go to bed. id cut them out at bedtime.

Not quite true.  Our circadian rhythms do play a role.  I believe it's been shown that shift workers struggle (mentally, physically, etc.) because of it since the body's natural rhythms are difficult to change.

In the news recently:

http://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/2009/10/091005181218.htm
Body's Circadian Rhythm Tightly Entwined With Blood Sugar Control

http://www.sciencenews.org/view/generic/id/48177/title/Circadian_clockwork_takes_unexpected_turns
Circadian clockwork takes unexpected turns[/color]

http://www.acep.org/practres.aspx?id=30560
Circadian Rhythms and Shift Work
:

YoungBlood

• Getbig V
  • Weee!
« Reply #5 on: October 29, 2009, 11:27:43 AM »

Not quite true.  Our circadian rhythms do play a role.  I believe it's been shown that shift workers struggle (mentally, physically, etc.) because of it since the body's natural rhythms are difficult to change.

I've been there, where I worked at 5am and then went to bed around 9-10pm. Then the next week I had to begin a months worth of working at 10pm and going to bed around 10am. Worst shift I've ever had to do in my life.
I ended up taking off 2 weeks in the gym till that shift ended. My entire body ached, and I couldn't adapt/recover at all.

flexingtonsteele

• Competitors II
  • Getbig V
« Reply #6 on: October 29, 2009, 04:16:47 PM »
ive worked graveyards before........the best thing u can do is try to establish a regular sleeping pattern where u can get deep uninterrupted sleep for atleast 5 or more hours a day, then while your awake eat every 3 hours as if u normally would under 8-5 type circumstances.

11venthhour

• Getbig III
« Reply #7 on: October 30, 2009, 12:30:22 AM »

I can definitely agree to that!

ive worked graveyards before........the best thing u can do is try to establish a regular sleeping pattern where u can get deep uninterrupted sleep for atleast 5 or more hours a day, then while your awake eat every 3 hours as if u normally would under 8-5 type circumstances.

its bit harder with a small child in the house and being married. when i did shift work before i just stayed pretty much on schedule and was fine with it. but now switching into day light hours on my days off and switching right back when i work is a bit of a chore.

tbombz

• Getbig V
  • Psalms 150
« Reply #8 on: October 30, 2009, 12:35:38 PM »

its bit harder with a small child in the house and being married. when i did shift work before i just stayed pretty much on schedule and was fine with it. but now switching into day light hours on my days off and switching right back when i work is a bit of a chore.
dont make excuses. yes it can be harder when you have other responsibilties, but there are tons of guys who have it just as tough, and tons who have it even harder...and they still manage to prep their meals in advance and eat on schedule. if making progress is important to you, you will find time to make your food and eat it when you need it.

flexingtonsteele

• Competitors II
  • Getbig V
« Reply #9 on: October 30, 2009, 03:29:01 PM »

i worked 10pm to 6am for about a year, now most of this year ive worked 6am to 2pm.........totally different shifts, and nothing with my diet has changed.......not a damn thing......I also have a kid and work lots of overtime........ i just do it! of course it isnt ez, but if it was ez everyone would be walking around lookin like they just jumped off the set of 300, but sadly thats not the case.

11venthhour

• Getbig III
« Reply #10 on: November 01, 2009, 10:44:53 AM »
dont make excuses. yes it can be harder when you have other responsibilties, but there are tons of guys who have it just as tough, and tons who have it even harder...and they still manage to prep their meals in advance and eat on schedule. if making progress is important to you, you will find time to make your food and eat it when you need it.

i know my short comings, believe me! its just hard to plan when you don't sleep and you work way over schedule is all i was saying!

i worked 10pm to 6am for about a year, now most of this year ive worked 6am to 2pm.........totally different shifts, and nothing with my diet has changed.......not a damn thing......I also have a kid and work lots of overtime........ i just do it! of course it isnt ez, but if it was ez everyone would be walking around lookin like they just jumped off the set of 300, but sadly thats not the case.

well i feel off my diet and training for like 3 years, so for the past year i have been getting back on course and staying consistent with my diet has been the hard part! the fact of the matter is that i know it can be done, i just need a solid plan!