Author Topic: Fla. man says Home Depot fired him over God button  (Read 1283 times)

loco

• Getbig V
  • loco like a fox
Fla. man says Home Depot fired him over God button
« on: October 28, 2009, 12:29:12 PM »
Wed Oct 28, 8:35 am ET

WEST PALM BEACH, Fla. – A former cashier for The Home Depot who has been wearing a "One nation under God" button on his work apron for more than a year has been fired, he says because of the religious reference. The company claims that expressing such personal beliefs is simply not allowed.

"I've worn it for well over a year and I support my country and God," Trevor Keezor said Tuesday. "I was just doing what I think every American should do, just love my country."

The American flag button Keezer wore in the Florida store since March 2008 says "One nation under God, indivisible."

Earlier this month, he began bringing a Bible to read during his lunch break at the store in the rural town of Okeechobee, about 140 miles north of Miami. That's when he says The Home Depot management told him he would have to remove the button.

Keezer refused, and he was fired on Oct. 23, he said.

"It feels kind of like a punishment, like I was punished for just loving my country," Keezer said.

A Home Depot spokesman said Keezer was fired because he violated the company's dress code.

"This associate chose to wear a button that expressed his religious beliefs. The issue is not whether or not we agree with the message on the button," Craig Fishel said. "That's not our place to say, which is exactly why we have a blanket policy, which is long-standing and well-communicated to our associates, that only company-provided pins and badges can be worn on our aprons."

Fishel said Keezer was offered a company-approved pin that said, "United We Stand," but he declined.

Keezer's lawyer, Kara Skorupa, said she planned to sue the Atlanta-based company.

"There are federal and state laws that protect against religious discrimination," Skorupa said. "It's not like he was out in the aisles preaching to people."

Keezer said he was working at the store to earn money for college, and wore the button to support his country and his 27-year-old brother, who is in the National Guard and is set to report in December for a second tour of duty in Iraq.

Skorupa noted the slogan on Keezer's pin is straight from the Pledge of Allegiance.

"These mottos and sayings that involve God, that's part of our country and historical fabric," Skorupa said. "In God we trust is on our money."

Michael Masinter, a civil rights and employment law professor at NOVA Southeastern University in Fort Lauderdale, said any lawsuit over religious discrimination might be a tough one to win.

"Because it's a private business, not one that's owned and operated by the government, it doesn't have to operate under the free speech provisions of the First Amendment," Masinter said.

"But we're not talking about religious displays here," he said. "This sounds more like a political message ... Wearing a button of that sort would not easily be described as a traditional form of religious expression like wearing a cross or wearing a yarmulke."

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/us_god_button_home_depot

kcballer

• Getbig V
  • In you I feel so pretty, In you I taste God
Re: Fla. man says Home Depot fired him over God button
« Reply #1 on: October 28, 2009, 12:37:54 PM »
He would have kept it had he changed it to - i pledge allegiance to the mighty Home Depot
Abandon every hope...

Soul Crusher

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
  • Doesnt lie about lifting.
« Reply #2 on: October 28, 2009, 12:53:59 PM »
He would have kept it had he changed it to - i pledge allegiance to the mighty Home Depot

While personally like the buttion, its up to his employer.  If his employer believes the button may alieate potential customers, than the employer is within his rights to not allow the button. 

240 is Back

• Getbig V
  • Complete website for only $300- www.300website.com
« Reply #3 on: October 28, 2009, 02:22:19 PM »
While personally like the buttion, its up to his employer.  If his employer believes the button may alieate potential customers, than the employer is within his rights to not allow the button. 

x 2.

the minute you allow a single button 'officially', is the minute the employee can wear 500 buttons that say "jesus".

then you have the employee who wants to wear 500 satan buttons.

Soul Crusher

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
« Reply #4 on: October 28, 2009, 02:24:06 PM »
x 2.

the minute you allow a single button 'officially', is the minute the employee can wear 500 buttons that say "jesus".

Shit - i wear my Slayer 666 limited edition shirt to work sometimes.  My boss cant fire me over that thankfully.  however, if my assistant shows up like that, its pink slip time.   

Signifying Monkey

• Getbig IV
« Reply #5 on: October 28, 2009, 02:26:03 PM »
Shit - i wear my Slayer 666 limited edition shirt to work sometimes.  My boss cant fire me over that thankfully.    

why not?

Soul Crusher

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
« Reply #6 on: October 28, 2009, 02:30:00 PM »
why not?

I work for myself. 

Im wearing my DTOM shirt today and a few cops looked at me funny.  I look like Arayan Nation and being in the Bronx, it sort of stands out a bit.   

Soul Crusher

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
« Reply #7 on: October 28, 2009, 02:41:18 PM »
Sorry Hugo -

Best Metal Song of All time.

This version kicks ass. 

OzmO

• Getbig V
  • Drink enough Kool-aid and you'll think its healthy
« Reply #8 on: October 28, 2009, 03:45:26 PM »

Exactly.  It's not about god, it's about money in which we trust............God.

Hugo Chavez

• Getbig V
« Reply #9 on: October 28, 2009, 03:57:02 PM »
wasn't an issue for this guy's flare.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/iwearyourshirt/3366320105/

big L dawg

• Getbig V
  • i always tell the truth even when i lie...
« Reply #10 on: October 28, 2009, 04:10:11 PM »
DAWG

tonymctones

• Getbig V
« Reply #11 on: October 28, 2009, 05:23:58 PM »
why do they call it the home depot instead of just home depot?

peruke

• Getbig III
« Reply #12 on: October 28, 2009, 05:42:17 PM »

Better yet, Pledge to "LOWES"!!!! :-X

Soul Crusher

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
« Reply #13 on: October 29, 2009, 06:46:37 AM »

Hedgehog

• Getbig V
  • It Rubs The Lotion On Its Skin.
« Reply #14 on: October 29, 2009, 06:51:34 AM »
I work for myself. 

Im wearing my DTOM shirt today and a few cops looked at me funny.  I look like Arayan Nation and being in the Bronx, it sort of stands out a bit.   

I always depicted you as an Abercrombie type of guy. ;D

As empty as paradise

gcb

• Getbig IV
  • you suffer, why?
« Reply #15 on: October 29, 2009, 07:08:45 AM »
Sorry Hugo -

Best Metal Song of All time.

This version kicks ass. 

I can honestly say without fear of contradiction that that is the best thing you have ever posted.
Yeah I wore my slayer shirt to work as well - in fact I often wear metal shirts to work - but then I never deal with customers.

Soul Crusher

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
« Reply #16 on: October 29, 2009, 07:21:28 AM »
I have never heard Araya belt out angel of Death better than in that clip.  My office literally shakes when I crank this up and the neighbors get pissed! 

Fuck'em.   

gcb

• Getbig IV
  • you suffer, why?
« Reply #17 on: October 29, 2009, 07:26:12 AM »
I have never heard Araya belt out angel of Death better than in that clip.  My office literally shakes when I crank this up and the neighbors get pissed! 

Fuck'em.   

All good things  8)

Soul Crusher

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
« Reply #18 on: October 29, 2009, 07:33:54 AM »
All good things  8)

The new Slayer album comes out on Nov. 3.  So far from what I have heard, its way better than Christ illusion.

I would be retired right now if I had a nickle for every time I listened to my Slayer albums since I started listening to them when I 2was 13 y/o back in the 80's.       

The Showstoppa

• Getbig V
  • Call the vet, cause these pythons are sick!
« Reply #19 on: October 29, 2009, 07:40:33 AM »
He wore it for "well over a year before they said he couldn't?"  Something is fishy.  If it was only the company code violation, someone should have stepped in much sooner. 

gcb

• Getbig IV
  • you suffer, why?
« Reply #20 on: October 29, 2009, 06:53:32 PM »
The new Slayer album comes out on Nov. 3.  So far from what I have heard, its way better than Christ illusion.

I would be retired right now if I had a nickle for every time I listened to my Slayer albums since I started listening to them when I 2was 13 y/o back in the 80's.      

I actually thought Christ Illusion was quite good - I don't think anything beats Reign in Blood or Seasons in the Abyss.

LurkerNoMore

• Getbig V
  • Dumb people think Trump is smart.
« Reply #21 on: October 30, 2009, 06:40:26 AM »

LOL!!  That would be a sight.

Soul Crusher

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
« Reply #22 on: October 30, 2009, 06:45:57 AM »
I actually thought Christ Illusion was quite good - I don't think anything beats Reign in Blood or Seasons in the Abyss.

You know what, every says Slayers' albums all sound the same.  They dont!

Every one is a little different.  what crazy is that they sort of have an album for any mood you are in.  

If i want the balls for the wall frenzy of chaos, its always Reign in Blood.  Any time I am going for the big lift its Angel of Death or Reign in Blood.

If i am looking for slower heavier stuff, its South of Heaven.

Its I am looking for loud screaming - its God Hates us All & Christ Illusion (Jihad is my favorite song on there)  

If i want fast tempo sustained kick ass - Seasons of the Abyss.

Its its kind of newer grungy stuff - Dialobous or Divine Intervention (Which is extremely underated!)  

If its old School - Live Undead, Show no Mercy, and Haunting the Chapel

If its kind of weird mood - Hell Awaits or Christ Illusion