Author Topic: Those God Damn French and Swiss Are gOnna Blow The World To pieces with  (Read 2976 times)

SAMSON123

• Getbig V
this contraption. Why don't these so called scientist leave these things alone. Try finding a cure for Cancer, Aids, Diabetes, Autism etc rather than looking for some supposed GOD PARTICLE....

Second chance for Large Hadron Collider to deliver universe's secrets

http://www.guardian.co.uk/science/2009/nov/01/cern-large-hadron-collider

One year after £30m meltdown, 'God Machine' is ready to run again in Switzerland

The view from the central axis of the Large Hadron Collider. Photograph: CERN

At first glance, the piece of metal in Steve Myers's hands could be taken for a harmonica or a pen. Only on closer inspection can you make out its true nature. Myers, director of accelerators at the Cern particle physics laboratory outside Geneva, is clutching a section of copper piping from which a flat electrical cable is protruding.

It looks unremarkable. Yet a piece of cable like this one was responsible last year for the world's most expensive short-circuit. More than £30m-worth of damage was done to the Large Hadron Collider (LHC), the most advanced particle accelerator ever built, a few days after its ceremonial opening. It has taken Myers – and hundreds of other Cern scientists – more than a year to pinpoint the guilty piece of cable and repair the wreckage. "It was a very small piece, but it did immense damage," he said. It remains to be seen whether Myers can fix Cern's tattered technological reputation in the process – when his team restart their great machine in a few weeks. "I am not a nervous person," said the 63-year-old Belfast-born engineer. "And that is probably just as well."

The LHC had been inaugurated at 9.30am on 10 September 2008 to a barrage of global media attention. This was the God Machine that would unravel the secrets of the universe, it was claimed. Beams of protons, one of the key constituents of the atom's nucleus, were successfully fired round the machine's subterranean 18-mile circular tunnel under the Jura mountains outside Geneva.

Over the following weeks, it was predicted, scientists would recreate conditions that existed a trillionth of a second after the universe's birth and start making sensational discoveries as they smashed beams of protons into each other.

Discoveries would include the God Particle, a tiny entity also called the Higgs Boson, which is believed to give objects – including people – their mass. In addition, dark matter, a mysterious, invisible form of matter that permeates the universe, would be uncovered, along with a host of other revolutionary discoveries.

"It was all looking so good," said Myers. Then, at 11.45am on 19 September, things went spectacularly wrong. Faulty soldering in a small section of cable carrying power to the machine's huge magnets caused sparks to arc across its wiring and send temperatures soaring inside a sector of the LHC tunnel.

A hole was punched in the protective pipe that surrounds the cable and released helium, cooled to minus 271C, into a section of the collider tunnel. Pressure valves failed to vent the gas and a shock wave ran though the tunnel.

"The LHC uses as much energy as an aircraft carrier at full speed," said Myers. "When you release that energy suddenly, you do a lot of damage."

Firemen sent into the blackened, stricken collider found that dozens of the massive magnets that control its proton beams had been battered out of position. Soot and metal powder, vaporised by the explosion, coated much of the delicate machinery. "It took us a long time to find out just how serious the accident was," said Myers.

A 400-metre chunk of the £2.5bn device had been wrecked, it was discovered. Worse, when scientists traced the cause to a tiny piece of soldering, they realised that they would have to redesign major parts of the collider's entire safety systems to prevent a repeat event. That has taken more than a year to achieve.

Now Cern scientists have begun firing protons round one small section of the collider as they prepare for its re-opening. Over the next few weeks, more and more bunches of protons will be put into the machine until, by Christmas, beams will be in full flight and can be collided.

The LHC will then start producing results – 13 years after work on its construction began.

"There was so much expectation that we were about to make great discoveries last year and then the accident occurred," said Cern researcher Alison Lister. "Morale was very low when we found out just how bad it was. However, we should now be getting results by Christmas, and you couldn't get a better present than that."

When fully operational, the LHC will soak up 10 times more power than any other particle accelerator on Earth, consuming 120 megawatts of electricity – enough for an entire Swiss canton – to accelerate bunches of protons, kept in two beams, each less than a hair's breadth in diameter, to speeds that will come "within a gnat's whisker of the speed of light", according to Myers.

One beam will circulate clockwise, the other anti-clockwise. Then, at four points along the collider's tunnel, the beams will cross.

Bunches of protons – each containing 100bn particles – will slam into other oncoming bunches, triggering collisions that will fling barrages of sub-atomic detritus in all directions.

These explosive interactions will form the core of the great collider's operations and will generate new types of particle, including the Higgs, that will pop fleetingly into existence before disintegrating into a trail of other sub-atomic entities. New physics will be uncovered with Nobel prizes following in their wake. And that is not all, say sceptics. They argue that miniature black holes will be created and one of these could eventually grow to swallow up the Earth. The LHC would then not only be the world's biggest experiment – but its last. This fear has led protesters to make legal attempts to close down the LHC, one even making it to the European Court of Human Rights. All have failed, though one case – in Germany – has still to be resolved.

Even stranger is the claim by another group of physicists who say the production of Higgs bosons may be so abhorrent to nature that their creation would ripple backwards through time to stop the collider before it could make one, like a time traveller trying to halt his own birth.

"All Higgs machines shall have bad luck," said Dr Holger Bech Neilson of the Niels Bohr Institute in Copenhagen. Thus the cable meltdown that afflicted the LHC was an inevitable effect of the laws of time, a notion that leaves most Cern scientists scratching their heads in bafflement.

In fact, the real problem facing the LHC is simple. It is a vast device the size of London's Circle Line but is engineered to a billionth of a metre accuracy. Ensuring that no flaws arise at scales and dimensions like these pushes engineering to its absolute limits.

Cern almost succeeded last year. Now it is convinced that it has got it right this time. "All I can say is that the LHC is a much safer, much better understood machine than it was a year ago," said Myers.

Most physicists believe he is right. "If it works, we will have built the most complex machine in history," said one. "If not, we will have assembled the world's most expensive piece of modern art."
C

Fury

• Getbig V
  • All aboard the USS Leverage
Re: Those God Damn French and Swiss Are gOnna Blow The World To pieces with
« Reply #1 on: November 01, 2009, 12:24:29 PM »
Haha, you're such a dork. As if anything of the sort will happen.

You one of those retards that think some microscopic black hole will open and grow to consume the planet?  ::)

240 is Back

• Getbig V
  • Complete website for only $300- www.300website.com
« Reply #2 on: November 01, 2009, 12:25:20 PM »
I absolutely love the book Flashforward, which is based on this.  i recommend it to anyone.

the ABC show is okay.

The good news is, if the world is blown to pieces, we won't have to worry about politics anymore!

Hugo Chavez

• Getbig V
« Reply #3 on: November 01, 2009, 12:43:15 PM »
They recently asked one of the scientist working on this thing if it could create a black hole and the guy said yes!  It was on some program I was watching recently.  He then said, no big deal, if they created one, it would only be for a moment and then blink out of existence.  I'd like to know how they know that for sure? I mean on something like that, you better be really freaking sure of it... My question is no matter how small, wouldn't it immediately consume matter right next to it?  Then what happens?  I really don't know shit about this but I'd like a better explaination than "no worries, the black hole will only last for moment" :-\

Fury

• Getbig V
« Reply #4 on: November 01, 2009, 12:49:42 PM »
They recently asked one of the scientist working on this thing if it could create a black hole and the guy said yes!  It was on some program I was watching recently.  He then said, no big deal, if they created one, it would only be for a moment and then blink out of existence.  I'd like to know how they know that for sure? I mean on something like that, you better be really freaking sure of it... My question is no matter how small, wouldn't it immediately consume matter right next to it?  Then what happens?  I really don't know shit about this but I'd like a better explaination than "no worries, the black hole will only last for moment" :-\

They've said that if one is created it would be so small and exist for such a short period of time that it's pretty much theoretically impossible for it to grow into something that will pull the machine itself in, let alone the planet. The CT morons jumped all over this months ago as if the end of the world was coming. The world's best scientists are working on this and methinks they have a much better grasp of the concept than some moron living in his mom's basement.

Not that it matters to me. Scientific progress will only come with pushing the boundaries and taking risks.

Hugo Chavez

• Getbig V
« Reply #5 on: November 01, 2009, 01:05:04 PM »
They've said that if one is created it would be so small and exist for such a short period of time that it's pretty much theoretically impossible for it to grow into something that will pull the machine itself in, let alone the planet. The CT morons jumped all over this months ago as if the end of the world was coming. The world's best scientists are working on this and methinks they have a much better grasp of the concept than some moron living in his mom's basement.

Not that it matters to me. Scientific progress will only come with pushing the boundaries and taking risks.
I think all most people want is a very good explanation of why.  I mean that's not a lot to ask for when they up and say, hey this thing we're making might create a black hole on earth.  Of course all of us without the background to understand this thing are going to ask, WTF?  Yea they're the best minds working on this thing.  Take a second and come up with a good explanation for the rest of the world.  I mean when I search for this, I find this kind of answer:

http://www.dailycommonsense.com/hadron-collider-and-black-holes-why-it-isnt-a-treat/

Which basically says, it's to small to do any harm and in the same article says, but black holes are largely a mystery to scientists...  uh.. ok... that's not really the reassuring answer I'd like.  It's basically a, just trust us answer.  I'm more than happy to read through a good explanation and drop it.  I don't see anyone providing one.  I guess they don't even completely rule out the senerio.  They just say the chances are extremely small.  oh that's nice.

Fury

• Getbig V
« Reply #6 on: November 01, 2009, 01:08:26 PM »
I think all most people want is a very good explanation of why.  I mean that's not a lot to ask for when they up and say, hey this thing we're making might create a black hole on earth.  Of course all of us without the background to understand this thing are going to ask, WTF?  Yea they're the best minds working on this thing.  Take a second and come up with a good explanation for the rest of the world.  I mean when I search for this, I find this kind of answer:

http://www.dailycommonsense.com/hadron-collider-and-black-holes-why-it-isnt-a-treat/

Which basically says, it's to small to do any harm and in the same article says, but black holes are largely a mystery to scientist...  uh.. ok... that's not really the reassuring answer I'd like.  It's basically a, just trust us answer.  I'm more than happy to read through a good explanation and drop it.  I don't see anyone providing one.  I guess they don't even completely rule out the senerio.  They just say the chances are extremely small.  oh that's nice.

Do some fucking research. There have been dozens of papers written by notable scientists addressing pretty much every type of black hole that could possibly form in the collider. The general consensus? That should one even grow (which they're not even expecting to happen) it's pretty much theoretically impossible that it will grow to be large enough to consume anything.

http://public.web.cern.ch/Public/en/LHC/Safety-en.html

Addresses all the CT'er topics and also links to multiple papers supporting their points.

There are dozens of papers showing that any black hole formed will be unstable and most likely immediately collapse and cease to exist. How about someone provide some evidence that it's even possible for a black hole to form and then grow large enough to pull stuff in? I'd like to see some proof that something like that is even possible. There's math showing it's not. How about math showing that it is?

Parker

• Getbig V
  • He Sees The Stormy Anger Of The World
« Reply #7 on: November 01, 2009, 01:11:10 PM »
Here is the problem, if they couldn't foresee or determine how this accidnet occurred (like running a sim before hand, or having a computer run millions of scenarios) why would I really trust or put all my cards on them just saying, "oh the black hole will be small and only momentary"

how many times has doctor said, don't worry about something and they were wrong? That's why we have 2nd and 3rd opinions. How many times has a car manufacturer said it wasn't their fault (BMW and their M3 engine imploding), but blame it on the consumer, only for it to be found out, it was their fault.

With black holes I want 100% surety that it won't grow or consume  
or won't exist but for brief fraction of a milisecond.

Hugo Chavez

• Getbig V
« Reply #8 on: November 01, 2009, 01:13:05 PM »
Do some fucking research. There have been dozens of papers written by notable scientists addressing pretty much every type of black hole that could possibly form in the collider. The general consensus? It's pretty much theoretically impossible that one will grow to be large enough to consume anything.

http://public.web.cern.ch/Public/en/LHC/Safety-en.html

Addresses all the CT'er topics and also links to multiple papers supporting their points.

is it impossible for us to ever talk civil?  You have to start flaming on a topic like this?  Can you just stop working for the meltdown for 2 seconds?  You have to always be on the troll?  You can't just post some material and say: read this?

Fury

• Getbig V
« Reply #9 on: November 01, 2009, 01:19:08 PM »
is it impossible for us to ever talk civil?  You have to start flaming on a topic like this?  Can you just stop working for the meltdown for 2 seconds?  You have to always be on the troll?  You can't just post some material and say: read this?

Fine. My link, despite the fact that it's on CERN's website, contains links to multiple papers addressing the issue of whether or not a black hole that can sustain itself would be formed. Even though it's on CERN's website, they're not avoiding the issue and have taken time to address so I'm not seeing it as a CT cover-up. There have been a few theories from physicists arguing that it can happen, and as far as I know, every single one has been swiftly refuted in scientific papers. The majority of the world's best physicists argue that microscopic black holes would be unstable and unable to sustain themselves.

I've yet to see any solid math or evidence that a black hole will form and exist for anything more than a fraction of a second.

Now, would physicists the world over be in agreement if there was a legitimate chance of a catastrophic black hole forming? I highly doubt it.

Now is it 100% certain that nothing will happen? Of course not. It's science and they're pushing into uncharted territory.

240 is Back

• Getbig V
« Reply #10 on: November 01, 2009, 02:08:56 PM »
They've said that if one is created it would be so small and exist for such a short period of time that it's pretty much theoretically impossible for it to grow into something that will pull the machine itself in, let alone the planet.

Agreed.  it's cool to imagine a machine creating something to end the universe, but unrealistic. 

The world's best scientists are working on this and methinks they have a much better grasp of the concept than some moron living in his mom's basement.

This part is funny tho...
Today's 5th grade student knows things that scientists didn't know 400 years ago. 

While I think the CTs are whining about nothing, I don't put much stock in any scientist who claims to have "absolute proof" a machine won't do this or that, or will "only make a *small* black hole". 

tonymctones

• Getbig V
« Reply #11 on: November 01, 2009, 02:14:09 PM »
I absolutely love the book Flashforward, which is based on this.  i recommend it to anyone.

the ABC show is okay.

The good news is, if the world is blown to pieces, we won't have to worry about politics anymore!
does the book get real stupid?

I could see that show just getting retarded like lost did...I dont watch show religiously other then "its always sunny in Philadelphia" and probably "the league" now but that show looks like its going to get idiotic real fast.

Hugo Chavez

• Getbig V
« Reply #12 on: November 01, 2009, 02:15:51 PM »
Agreed.  it's cool to imagine a machine creating something to end the universe, but unrealistic. 

This part is funny tho...
Today's 5th grade student knows things that scientists didn't know 400 years ago. 

While I think the CTs are whining about nothing, I don't put much stock in any scientist who claims to have "absolute proof" a machine won't do this or that, or will "only make a *small* black hole". 
I'm reading the stuff BF posted and looking for some more info but how many times has science done things previously considered, "unrealistic"

also, I'm sure there are some CTs around this, but I think for the most part people who are questioning this are not conspiracy theorists or building a conspiracy or in any way suggesting a conspiracy.  I think most that are questioning this are just worried this fuck us all up, not that there is a CT behind it.

Fury

• Getbig V
« Reply #13 on: November 01, 2009, 02:55:25 PM »
I'm reading the stuff BF posted and looking for some more info but how many times has science done things previously considered, "unrealistic"

also, I'm sure there are some CTs around this, but I think for the most part people who are questioning this are not conspiracy theorists or building a conspiracy or in any way suggesting a conspiracy.  I think most that are questioning this are just worried this fuck us all up, not that there is a CT behind it.

Well that's true. I mean, the possibility is there. I'm just banking on the fact that they've crunched the numbers and checked the theories enough times that they are pretty confident on what is and isn't going to happen. Either way, pushing the envelope is how scientific progress gets made. It's unreasonable to think that they won't ever start working on how black holes and venturing into risky territories.

I personally want them to fire it up and see if that "God particle" can be documented. The potential for that collider is awesome (in my opinion at least).

SAMSON123

• Getbig V
« Reply #14 on: November 01, 2009, 04:43:59 PM »
If this device is capable of creating a black hole (which feeds off of matter) how then could the scientist claim that it will only last a short time or will EVER disappear? From teh scientists point of view these holes consume matter and essentially grow and become stronger/bigger...so if the hole is formed it will immediately begin consuming elements/matter/equipment right away and will therefore like Frankenstein be given life and will continue to grow by consuming all around it and beyond. Now should this happen what will anyone be able to do? It is not like you can throw a stick at it or shoot it and it will die/go away. I am not saying this will happen, but if the theory is even slightly possible it should make firing this thing up a NO GO.

Anti Matter...I thought I heard that this thing was going to make (possibly) anti-matter or atleast that was one of tthe goals. Again...the possiblity of that becoming a reality is scary as the explosion of matter and anti matter will be greater than anythig ever heard or seen...WHY TAKE THE CHANCE WITH IT.

NEW NUCLEAR POWER...It is bad enough as it is that there is enough nuclear bombs in the world to decimate it 100s of times over. Will this "MONSTER MACHINE" reveal and even deadlier or more powerful nuclear material to use in bombs or as weapons of some sort against nations? I don't mind technology, but one has to consider the monster sinister uses of any NEW thing that is discovered.
C

240 is Back

• Getbig V
« Reply #15 on: November 01, 2009, 04:56:44 PM »
does the book get real stupid?

I could see that show just getting retarded like lost did...I dont watch show religiously other then "its always sunny in Philadelphia" and probably "the league" now but that show looks like its going to get idiotic real fast.

The book was incredible.  I mean it.  I don't like many books, I'll be honest.  But that book was great.  Just the number of witty, creative possibilities... (It's set so that the storyline revolves around the 3 scientists that caused it at KERN, and it's 21 years ahead for their flashforward).

The season has only touched on maybe 1/3 of the book.

The end of the book is beautiful.  It makes you say "holy shit... what if... such an incredible possibility... what an amazing universe..."

I shit you not.  I had dreams about it, it touched me that much, and i'm not an emotion wuss by any means.

The show doesn't come near the book.

tonymctones

• Getbig V
« Reply #16 on: November 01, 2009, 05:03:49 PM »
The book was incredible.  I mean it.  I don't like many books, I'll be honest.  But that book was great.  Just the number of witty, creative possibilities... (It's set so that the storyline revolves around the 3 scientists that caused it at KERN, and it's 21 years ahead for their flashforward).

The season has only touched on maybe 1/3 of the book.

The end of the book is beautiful.  It makes you say "holy shit... what if... such an incredible possibility... what an amazing universe..."

I shit you not.  I had dreams about it, it touched me that much, and i'm not an emotion wuss by any means.

The show doesn't come near the book.
maybe ill have to read it, the concept seems pretty cool

Hugo Chavez

• Getbig V
« Reply #17 on: November 01, 2009, 05:05:27 PM »
If this device is capable of creating a black hole (which feeds off of matter) how then could the scientist claim that it will only last a short time or will EVER disappear? From teh scientists point of view these holes consume matter and essentially grow and become stronger/bigger...so if the hole is formed it will immediately begin consuming elements/matter/equipment right away and will therefore like Frankenstein be given life and will continue to grow by consuming all around it and beyond. Now should this happen what will anyone be able to do? It is not like you can throw a stick at it or shoot it and it will die/go away. I am not saying this will happen, but if the theory is even slightly possible it should make firing this thing up a NO GO.

Anti Matter...I thought I heard that this thing was going to make (possibly) anti-matter or atleast that was one of tthe goals. Again...the possiblity of that becoming a reality is scary as the explosion of matter and anti matter will be greater than anythig ever heard or seen...WHY TAKE THE CHANCE WITH IT.

NEW NUCLEAR POWER...It is bad enough as it is that there is enough nuclear bombs in the world to decimate it 100s of times over. Will this "MONSTER MACHINE" reveal and even deadlier or more powerful nuclear material to use in bombs or as weapons of some sort against nations? I don't mind technology, but one has to consider the monster sinister uses of any NEW thing that is discovered.
They've already made antimatter at a different CERN facility.
http://cosmiclog.msnbc.msn.com/archive/2007/06/22/233534.aspx

240 is Back

• Getbig V
« Reply #18 on: November 01, 2009, 05:13:36 PM »
maybe ill have to read it, the concept seems pretty cool

I got it for $7 on ebay, I think.  Author Robert J. Sawyer.  paperback.

I was an issac asimov fan as a kid, but haven't looked at much sci-fi since then.  This just reads like sci-fi meets aciton meets some family stuff + some incredible, incredible possibilities. 

during the 2 minute blackout...
planes fall form sky.  people die in surgery.  cars veer into each other. 

imagine if the whole world for a 2 minute clear preview of the future. 
Suddenly they're back, today, and they know who's gonna win world series.  they know that a certain college kid will be president 20 years from now.  they know if they'll be alive or not in 20 years.   patent offices are swaped with ideas for inventions people saw in their vision.  since the yen is dead 21 years from now acc'ding to the visions, everybody sells theirs the next day. 

The book rocked.

tonymctones

• Getbig V
« Reply #19 on: November 01, 2009, 05:15:33 PM »
I got it for $7 on ebay, I think.  Author Robert J. Sawyer.  paperback.

I was an issac asimov fan as a kid, but haven't looked at much sci-fi since then.  This just reads like sci-fi meets aciton meets some family stuff + some incredible, incredible possibilities. 

during the 2 minute blackout...
planes fall form sky.  people die in surgery.  cars veer into each other. 

imagine if the whole world for a 2 minute clear preview of the future. 
Suddenly they're back, today, and they know who's gonna win world series.  they know that a certain college kid will be president 20 years from now.  they know if they'll be alive or not in 20 years.   patent offices are swaped with ideas for inventions people saw in their vision.  since the yen is dead 21 years from now acc'ding to the visions, everybody sells theirs the next day. 

The book rocked.
ahhh but wouldnt the actions taken after the blackout change the future?

Hugo Chavez

• Getbig V
« Reply #20 on: November 01, 2009, 05:37:19 PM »
holy shit cool... Tony and 240 talking :o

gcb

• Getbig IV
  • you suffer, why?
« Reply #21 on: November 01, 2009, 05:39:19 PM »

I'll take their understanding of quantum mechanics over yours. Hawking has predicted that black holes over time evaporate - I think the same happens to these tiny black holes.

240 is Back

• Getbig V
« Reply #22 on: November 01, 2009, 05:42:23 PM »
ahhh but wouldnt the actions taken after the blackout change the future?

yep.  some people die who had visions... so we see that the future can be changed.  we start to see all sorts of ripple effects... things changing 20 years ahead of time because everybody knows it'll happen anyway.  Things get invented 20 years early.  People dump their wife today because they're with someone else in 20 years, etc.  And of course, millions died during the flashfwd itself.

21 years later, a lot of it has come true, but some things are 20 years ahead in technologies.  The end of the book... one of the main characters does something really special, unique... it just makes you shake your head and wonder about the possibilities of life, time, etc.

honestly, I went right to sleep and had the most vivid dreams, and I'm not a creative guy by any stretch.  

tonymctones

• Getbig V
« Reply #23 on: November 01, 2009, 05:44:23 PM »
holy shit cool... Tony and 240 talking :o
LOL we talk from time to time

240 is Back

• Getbig V
« Reply #24 on: November 01, 2009, 05:46:54 PM »
LOL we talk from time to time

there are some things we can all agree on.