Author Topic: Muslim Doctor Demands company change policy to accomodate her religious belief  (Read 971 times)

Skip8282

• Getbig V
AND THEY DID!!  WTF?   :P

Clinic Apologizes for Telling Muslim Doctor She Can't Wear Headscarf

DALLAS  —  A suburban Dallas medical clinic has apologized to a Muslim doctor for telling her during a job interview that she would not be allowed to wear her headscarf while at work.

Dr. Hena Zaki of Plano said Friday that she was shocked when officials at CareNow, which operates 22 clinics in the Dallas-Fort Worth area, told her in person and later by e-mail that a no-hat policy extended to her hijab.

Zaki had been on a tour of a CareNow clinic in Allen, Texas, two weeks ago when she said the regional medical director told her he didn't want her to be surprised about the policy during orientation.

"He interrupted the interview and said he didn't want me to take this the wrong way," Zaki said. "Like an FYI."

Zaki demanded an apology and a change in CareNow's policies to accommodate expressions of religious belief — "whether it be a turban or facial hair."

On Friday, CareNow President Tim Miller told the Associated Press: "I would apologize for any misunderstanding, definitely ... but I don't really feel like there is anything that we did that is wrong and our policy is wrong."

The next day, as reported by MyFoxDallas/Fort Worth, Miller wrote in a statement:

"We apologize to Dr. Zaki for the misunderstanding. We will clarify our policy, and will continue our ongoing sensitivity training."

"Care Now has made religious accommodations for employees in the past," he said, adding that the company is interested in "sitting down with Dr. Zaki and discussing a job."

CareNow says it does not discriminate on the basis of race, sex, religion or national origin when making employment decisions. The Civil Rights Act requires companies to make accommodations for employees' religious beliefs.

Zaki, who's searching for her first job after recently finishing her residency at the University of Texas Southwestern Medical Center, has worn her headscarf since age 14 and said other places she's worked have not had a problem with it.

"It's not a hat," she said. "It's not sports memorabilia."

rccs

• Getbig IV
  • Alma Matter!
AND THEY DID!!  WTF?   :P

Clinic Apologizes for Telling Muslim Doctor She Can't Wear Headscarf

DALLAS  —  A suburban Dallas medical clinic has apologized to a Muslim doctor for telling her during a job interview that she would not be allowed to wear her headscarf while at work.

Dr. Hena Zaki of Plano said Friday that she was shocked when officials at CareNow, which operates 22 clinics in the Dallas-Fort Worth area, told her in person and later by e-mail that a no-hat policy extended to her hijab.

Zaki had been on a tour of a CareNow clinic in Allen, Texas, two weeks ago when she said the regional medical director told her he didn't want her to be surprised about the policy during orientation.

"He interrupted the interview and said he didn't want me to take this the wrong way," Zaki said. "Like an FYI."

Zaki demanded an apology and a change in CareNow's policies to accommodate expressions of religious belief — "whether it be a turban or facial hair."

On Friday, CareNow President Tim Miller told the Associated Press: "I would apologize for any misunderstanding, definitely ... but I don't really feel like there is anything that we did that is wrong and our policy is wrong."

The next day, as reported by MyFoxDallas/Fort Worth, Miller wrote in a statement:

"We apologize to Dr. Zaki for the misunderstanding. We will clarify our policy, and will continue our ongoing sensitivity training."

"Care Now has made religious accommodations for employees in the past," he said, adding that the company is interested in "sitting down with Dr. Zaki and discussing a job."

CareNow says it does not discriminate on the basis of race, sex, religion or national origin when making employment decisions. The Civil Rights Act requires companies to make accommodations for employees' religious beliefs.

Zaki, who's searching for her first job after recently finishing her residency at the University of Texas Southwestern Medical Center, has worn her headscarf since age 14 and said other places she's worked have not had a problem with it.

"It's not a hat," she said. "It's not sports memorabilia."

I hate fucking muslims!!!!! >:( >:(
S

Skip8282

• Getbig V
"The Civil Rights Act requires companies to make accommodations for employees' religious beliefs."

If this is true, then you have to wonder why the Home Depot guy could be fired, but this woman can "demand" the company change it's policies.  Sounds like the company is a bunch of push-overs too.

Ex Coelis

• Getbig V
does this really bother anyone?

as long as it's her choice . . .

Hedgehog

• Getbig V
  • It Rubs The Lotion On Its Skin.
The French would have none of it. They barred veil in public places.
Good to see someone take a stand for women's rights.
As empty as paradise

Skip8282

• Getbig V
does this really bother anyone?

as long as it's her choice . . .

You really don't have a problem with people demanding a company acquiesce to their religious beliefs?  And where is the line drawn?  Can Christians and Satanists make the same demands?

Ex Coelis

• Getbig V

You really don't have a problem with people demanding a company acquiesce to their religious beliefs?  And where is the line drawn?  Can Christians and Satanists make the same demands?

since the issue is their no-hat policy, a more apt question would be whether you would tell Jewish men they can't wear a yarmulke

The Showstoppa

• Getbig V
  • Call the vet, cause these pythons are sick!

Exactly.  The Home Depot guy wasn't defended by anyone on here.... yet this is ok?  Our country is going down the shitter.

rccs

• Getbig IV
  • Alma Matter!
I don't know if I said this before but I HATE FUCKING MUSLIM SCUM!!!!
S

The Showstoppa

• Getbig V
  • Call the vet, cause these pythons are sick!
I don't know if I said this before but I HATE FUCKING MUSLIM SCUM!!!!

Good man.

shootfighter1

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
  • Competitor- NABBA Nationals Overall Champ
How about schools then?  Other places where head attire can be a security issue?

I'm against it.  They should have the right to wear their head attire but a company (airports, gov institutions, etc) should absolutely be able to have a no head attire policy that they adhere to if they are on site.

Soul Crusher

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
  • Doesnt lie about lifting.
How about schools then?  Other places where head attire can be a security issue?

I'm against it.  They should have the right to wear their head attire but a company (airports, gov institutions, etc) should absolutely be able to have a no head attire policy.

shootfighter1

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
  • Competitor- NABBA Nationals Overall Champ
Wonder if Pelosi agrees with the way traditional muslims treat women?  Interesting irony on the left.

James

Wonder if Pelosi agrees with the way traditional muslims treat women? Interesting irony on the left.

exactly

Soul Crusher

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
  • Doesnt lie about lifting.