Author Topic: Yesterday's Election = A Deathblow for ObamaCare  (Read 1873 times)

Soul Crusher

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
  • Doesnt lie about lifting.
Yesterday's Election = A Deathblow for ObamaCare
« on: November 04, 2009, 05:21:39 AM »
A Deathblow for ObamaCare
By DICK MORRIS & EILEEN MCGANN

Last Updated: 11:00 PM, November 3, 2009

Posted: 10:57 PM, November 3, 2009

________________________ ________________________ ___

CHRIS Christie’s gutsy win in New Jersey puts the arrogant big spender Jon Corzine in his place. But it is the election in Virginia that probably has more to say to marginal Democratic congressmen considering how to vote on health-care reform.

Obviously, Christie’s victory is a body blow to Obama after Corzine outspent the Republican by five-to-one and the president put on a serious push for the incumbent. Corzine’s defeat sends a message that the nation is moving sharply against Obama.

But Virginia results are the most important. More than 80 Democratic congressmen and twenty senators come from states that John McCain carried in 2008. For them, the sudden switch in Virginia, a swing state that Obama actually carried, heralds tough political times ahead.

New Jersey is the quintessential blue state. If it goes Republican, blue state congressmen needn’t worry. Their districts are likely still safe. But when a Republican in Virginia wins by 20 points, it sends a message to red-state Democratic congressmen to take cover.

Polls indicate a declining level of popular approval of the Obama policies (Rasmussen shows his job approval at 46 percent), but to see actual Democrats losing or barely squeaking out victories in solidly blue states sends a far clearer message to the Democrats in Congress.

Until last night, Democratic moderates, the so-called blue dogs, could bask in the light of their candidate’s success in 2008. But now they must hear hoof beats behind them. The party discipline on which Obama depends to pass a health-care program that Americans reject by 42 percent for, 55 percent against (Rasmussen again) will only work if beleaguered Democratic incumbents can wrap themselves in Obama’s cloak and tough out the popular criticism. But the limits of Obama’s drawing power are readily apparent in the Republicans’ 20-point victory in Virginia and the race in New Jersey.

In the coming weeks, House Speaker Nancy Pelosi and Senate Majority Leader Harry Reid will be asking their troops to cast potentially career-ending votes for health-care changes, Medicare cuts, higher taxes, and fines on the uninsured. Whether they take that risk depends on their faith in Obama’s drawing power.

But the votes in Virginia, in particular, show the limits of Obama’s appeal. The winner, Bob McDonnell, won the attorney general’s race in the last election by a few tenths of a percent over the same opponent. That he coasted to so huge a victory in the swing state of Virginia now has to send a message to red-state Democratic congressmen: Obama may be able to survive in the deep water into which he is leading his party, but you can’t.

________________________ ________________________ _______ 

I hope Pelosi/Reid/Obama double down after this and see where it gets them.   

Hedgehog

• Getbig V
  • It Rubs The Lotion On Its Skin.
Re: Yesterday's Election = A Deathblow for ObamaCare
« Reply #1 on: November 04, 2009, 05:38:35 AM »
I don't know what to make of comments coming from Dick Morris.

He's a lobbyist who's sold out to both Democrats (Clinton) and Republicans (chief strategist for Christy Miho's governor campaign).

And obviously trying to pave the road for the Republican Miho in the upcoming election.

So is he gonna write anything that will say that the Republicans are looking bleak in the upcoming elections?

LOL, I doubt it.

But sure, he can be right.

It can be a deathblow.

It would be pretty funny if the word "deathblow" kept occuring on FoxNews the next couple of weeks though. ;D
As empty as paradise

Soul Crusher

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
« Reply #2 on: November 04, 2009, 05:44:14 AM »
I don't know what to make of comments coming from Dick Morris.

He's a lobbyist who's sold out to both Democrats (Clinton) and Republicans (chief strategist for Christy Miho's governor campaign).

And obviously trying to pave the road for the Republican Miho in the upcoming election.

So is he gonna write anything that will say that the Republicans are looking bleak in the upcoming elections?

LOL, I doubt it.

But sure, he can be right.

It can be a deathblow.

It would be pretty funny if the word "deathblow" kept occuring on FoxNews the next couple of weeks though. ;D

Hedge I said ObamaCare was DOA weeks ago and 240 and the others said i did not know what I was talking about.  He may get something just to save face, but his idea of a govt takeover is finished. 

The people who pay the bills in this country are sick of this shit.  In my county of Westchester, home of some of the richest libs in the country, the Conservative anti-tax pro-gun candidate destroyed the incumbent Dem by 16 points. 

The local media is just stunned.  They dont get it and I am telling you that a huge rebellion is underway. 

chadstallion

• Getbig IV
« Reply #3 on: November 04, 2009, 06:10:09 AM »
except for the loss of the Palin-approved dude in NY.  Shows the teabaggers still haven't taken over the entire Rep. party.
w

Soul Crusher

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
« Reply #4 on: November 04, 2009, 06:14:08 AM »
except for the loss of the Palin-approved dude in NY.  Shows the teabaggers still haven't taken over the entire Rep. party.

Thats utter nonsense.  The guy campaigned for 30 days on a third party line and the GOP nominee endorsed the Dem and still it was within 3 points.

If Hoffman camopaigned on the GOP banner and had the GOP backing for as long as Scuzzafava did, he would have won massively. 

LurkerNoMore

• Getbig V
  • Dumb people think Trump is smart.
« Reply #5 on: November 04, 2009, 07:40:02 AM »
Palin = Campaign Kiss of Death

Soul Crusher

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
« Reply #6 on: November 04, 2009, 07:43:00 AM »
Palin = Campaign Kiss of Death

If hoffman were on the GOP line from day one he would have won. 

LurkerNoMore

• Getbig V
« Reply #7 on: November 04, 2009, 08:11:43 AM »
If.... If..... If....

But he wasn't.
And he didn't.

Soul Crusher

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
« Reply #8 on: November 04, 2009, 08:15:34 AM »
If.... If..... If....

But he wasn't.
And he didn't.

Ha ha- ignore the beating Obama took in NJ and VA. 

Hysterical.  I cant wait till 2010.  Reid/Pelosi ARE DONE!

240 is Back

• Getbig V
  • Complete website for only $300- www.300website.com
« Reply #9 on: November 04, 2009, 08:16:36 AM »
Thats utter nonsense.  The guy campaigned for 30 days on a third party line and the GOP nominee endorsed the Dem and still it was within 3 points.

If Hoffman camopaigned on the GOP banner and had the GOP backing for as long as Scuzzafava did, he would have won massively.  

i know spin when i hear it, as a master of it myself ;)

Had the dude won, ya know you'd be singing from the rooftops

Soul Crusher

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
« Reply #10 on: November 04, 2009, 08:17:33 AM »
i know spin when i hear it, as a master of it myself ;)

240 - is the WH spinning when they say this was not a reflection on them? 

Straw Man

• Getbig V
  • one dwells in nirvana
« Reply #11 on: November 04, 2009, 08:18:27 AM »
If hoffman were on the GOP line from day one he would have won. 

Hoffman was a nobody who didn't live in the district and didn't know the issues.

Is that what the conservative party is all about?

240 is Back

• Getbig V
« Reply #12 on: November 04, 2009, 08:19:09 AM »
240 - is the WH spinning when they say this was not a reflection on them?  

of course.

and just as obama downplayed expectations - you're spinning when you downplay the GOP dude's expectations.

I thought that guy would win, being beck's protegee and getting nationwide love from Palin.

Soul Crusher

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
« Reply #13 on: November 04, 2009, 08:21:51 AM »
Hoffman was a nobody who didn't live in the district and didn't know the issues.

Is that what the conservative party is all about?

And it still was within 3 points.  He was not even a good candidate. 

LurkerNoMore

• Getbig V
« Reply #14 on: November 04, 2009, 08:22:44 AM »
Ha ha- ignore the beating Obama took in NJ and VA. 

Hysterical.  I cant wait till 2010.  Reid/Pelosi ARE DONE!

How did Congress change again?  How many seats did the GOP win?
That would be considered a beating.  

Electing a Repub for the dog catcher of Lalazoola Land isn't.

Except for you.  But hey.....   some people just need SOMETHING to hold on to and pin their hopes on.

240 is Back

• Getbig V
« Reply #15 on: November 04, 2009, 08:24:36 AM »
the bottom line is that yes, tues' elections were good for GOP and bad for dems.

but a mandate, a deathblow, etc... that's declaring victory in the 1st quarter.  33, I love your passion, but like I used to - you jump to victory dances way too early on political issues.

Soul Crusher

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
« Reply #16 on: November 04, 2009, 08:26:20 AM »
the bottom line is that yes, tues' elections were good for GOP and bad for dems.

but a mandate, a deathblow, etc... that's declaring victory in the 1st quarter.  33, I love your passion, but like I used to - you jump to victory dances way too early on political issues.

Wherever Obama went he got trounced beyond expectations. 

For NJ to go to Christie is HUGE. 

People are sick of left wing lunatics and their spending sprees and high taxes. 

shootfighter1

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
  • Competitor- NABBA Nationals Overall Champ
« Reply #17 on: November 04, 2009, 08:28:23 AM »
I would say eyeopener rather than deathblow.  Dick Morris tends to blow things out of proportion.

I hope this sends a message to blue dog and moderate democrats that the people elected what they thought was a centrist democrat in Obama...they don't want Reid, Pelosi, Frank and Charlie Rangle running the country.  The democrats can't let the liberal left of their party be the loudest voice.

Soul Crusher

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
« Reply #18 on: November 04, 2009, 08:30:40 AM »
I would say eyeopener rather than deathblow.  Dick Morris tends to blow things out of proportion.

I hope this sends a message to blue dog and moderate democrats that the people elected what they thought was a centrist democrat in Obama...they don't want Reid, Pelosi, Frank and Charlie Rangle running the country.  The democrats can let the liberal left of their party be the loudest voice.

There wont be a will without the far left on board since those are the shock troops for elections. 

the left wing loons boxed themselves in on this and now might get a meaningless bill to Obama.