Author Topic: Looking for a job?  (Read 8978 times)

BayGBM

• Getbig V
Looking for a job?
« on: November 04, 2009, 06:46:19 PM »
If you are unemployed and/or can’t find a better job, the problem may not be the economy—it may be you.

Today HR sent me over a batch of résumés in response to a job advertisement we posted on our HR website.  We only accept résumés/applications via our website so there is very quick turnaround; people see our ad, apply, and if I wanted to I could get their résumés on the same day; as it happens, today I got all the resumes from Monday, Tuesday and Wednesday.  This position is replacing one of my direct reports so instead of delegating the screening to my assistant, I decided to look at the first round of résumés myself and more closely than I otherwise might.  As it turns out, I didn’t need to...  With barely a glance, I could see that most were unsuitable.  Not even one in ten was worth a second look.  My recycle bin filled up pretty quickly . . .

Don’t people read resume writing books anymore?  I do not expect everyone to be a graphic designer or an expert at self-promotion, but most of those résumés I scanned were utter garbage.  If I ask for a specific degree and you don’t have it, am I going to interview you?  No.  And where you go to school does matter.  University of Phoenix?  Around here that will get you laughed at, but it will not get you interviewed.  Does your résumé need to be more than two pages?  99% of the time the answer is no.  If you’ve had a job for two months (with no significant accomplishment, training, or results) does it belong on your résumé?  I could go on and on . . .  :-[

240 is Back

• Getbig V
  • Complete website for only $300- www.300website.com
Re: Looking for a job?
« Reply #1 on: November 05, 2009, 06:11:46 AM »
People expect to be able to walk into a mgmt job out of college - even wiht no related internship or work experience.

I'd hear the same thing all the time at the Univ job center where I worked:
"I want to manage people, and I want to make $55k a year.  I have my BA in Communications and I worked 3 years at Harpoon Harry's as a bartender.  Why does the job market suck so bad?"

Migs

• Getbig V
  • THERE WAS A FIRE FIGHT!!!!
« Reply #2 on: November 05, 2009, 05:46:01 PM »
i've been screeing resumes and it is horrible.  some being printed on paper that has scribbling all over one side or on letterhead from some company.

brooklynbruiser

• Getbig IV
« Reply #3 on: November 05, 2009, 08:03:56 PM »
@ BayGBM: *snicker*

Coldbloodeddddddd!
Almost always, yes.

Stubborn

• Competitors II
  • Getbig IV
  • Who wants a mustache ride?
« Reply #4 on: November 06, 2009, 10:26:40 AM »
I'm amazed that this is even an issue. I have always been disappointed with my peers and their false sense of entitlement.

I know I could personally walk right into a management job and even improve upon it within a short time, but I don't expect anyone to give me the chance just because I'm confident in my abilities.

BayGBM

• Getbig V
« Reply #5 on: November 07, 2009, 07:38:33 AM »
Would it be unethical of me to give preferential hiring to a bodybuilder?  ;D

brooklynbruiser

• Getbig IV
« Reply #6 on: November 07, 2009, 02:45:38 PM »
Would it be unethical of me to give preferential hiring to a bodybuilder?  ;D

Only if you required him to work in posing trunks and a hardhat or something equally gauche. ;)
Almost always, yes.

BayGBM

• Getbig V
« Reply #7 on: November 07, 2009, 03:48:08 PM »
Only if you required him to work in posing trunks and a hardhat or something equally gauche. ;)

Would he object if I did?  I wonder?  ;D

nzmusclemonster

• Getbig V
  • Serenity Now!
« Reply #8 on: November 07, 2009, 03:51:44 PM »
GayBay strikes again  :(
P

BayGBM

• Getbig V
« Reply #9 on: November 07, 2009, 04:06:26 PM »
GayBay strikes again  :(

I wouldn't have anything to strike if there weren't so many of these kinds of images in bodybuilding.  Obviously the patrons of these sport want to see guys dressed up like this.  Daisy dukes and a hard hat... what a queer combination!  ::)

Topskin69

• Getbig IV
  • Deshay with the gauge, Vanilla with the nine.
« Reply #10 on: November 07, 2009, 05:51:12 PM »

I like how, (Leroy Brown??), looks completely pissed off, and wishing he could be doing anything, but shooting for musclegallery.  :D

Migs

• Getbig V
« Reply #11 on: November 07, 2009, 09:05:14 PM »
wow a warning would've been nice lol

Stubborn

• Competitors II
  • Getbig IV
Re: Looking for a job? (Schmoe content)
« Reply #12 on: November 07, 2009, 10:08:12 PM »
^^^this is the proper thread title.^^^

BayGBM

• Getbig V
« Reply #13 on: November 07, 2009, 10:48:18 PM »
^^^this is the proper thread title.^^^

If I had used that title this thread would be a lot more popular! ::)

Stubborn

• Competitors II
  • Getbig IV
« Reply #14 on: November 08, 2009, 08:48:53 AM »
If I had used that title this thread would be a lot more popular! ::)

Sadly, you are correct.

Migs

• Getbig V
« Reply #15 on: November 08, 2009, 12:06:50 PM »
rofl

UPINTHEMGUTS

• Getbig V
  • I can spot crazy pussy....
« Reply #16 on: November 11, 2009, 06:19:06 PM »
ROFL!

BayGBM

• Getbig V
« Reply #17 on: December 01, 2009, 07:07:52 AM »
10 common job interview mistakes

1. Not being prepared
There is no excuse with today's technology to go into an interview without doing basic research on the company interviewing you, their executives, products, customers, and competitors.

Make sure you visit the company's website and review it thoroughly. If time allows, request the firm's marketing literature or investor relations' packet. Try to find out where it stands in the market and what its concerns may be for the future.

Check out research databases and business publications, and talk to your friends and colleagues to uncover more information.

2. Not knowing yourself
To be an effective interviewee, you must be able to articulate in a clear, concise, and natural manner what you do – and how well you do it.

Make sure you know what sets you apart from other candidates and be specific about what you've done that has made you, your department, and former company successful.

Also, know your background without having to refer to your resume. There is no one better than you to tell your story.

3. Talking too much and saying too little
There is a misconception that the length of your response to an interview question is as important as the quality of your answer. Try to remember that the person sitting across from you has a full day of interviews and other to-dos.

The way to his or her "hiring heart" is to be concise and to the point when demonstrating your knowledge, expertise, and value.

4. Focusing on the past
The projects you worked on and the duties you performed 10 to 15 years ago bring context to your career and the professional you have become, but the skills and traits you now possess are what will be valuable to your new employer.

Concentrate on your current roles, abilities, and experiences.

5. Not listening
An interviewer will guide you toward what they want to know and what's important to them – if only you listen!

Sometimes we are so excited or nervous during an interview that we talk without listening. Pay attention to what the other person is saying and make sure to answer all questions fully. If you aren't sure that you did, ask.

And, try to hone in on nonverbal clues as well as the verbal ones to continually assess your audience.

6. Being too humble
Interviews are the place where you are selling yourself and you must be able to do so effectively.

Find a way to get comfortable with tooting your own horn and discussing what makes you special. This is your opportunity to brag a little.

But, and this is very important, do so without being boastful.

7. Stepping out of 'sell mode' too early
We've all been in interviews that are going along swimmingly and we think the job offer is in the bag.

So what do we do? We stop selling ourselves and move into buying mode. We ask about salary, vacation, or benefits.

These topics are all appropriate – at the right time, which is when the company is completely sold on you. A lot of opportunities have fallen through because people have stopped selling themselves too early.

Remember, “it’s not over till it’s over!”

8. Low energy or passion
Passion + energy = good impression.

Managers want to hire people who are enthusiastic. It doesn't matter how boring you think your last job was, you can still be passionate about your work, and you need to get that across in your interviews.

Don't speak negatively about your former duties, boss, or company. Put a positive spin on the situation and your job search. This is particularly important for people who have been in the job hunt for a long time or who left their past employers under strained circumstances.

9. Not being realistic
Sometimes we expect our next job to make up for all the shortcomings of our previous positions: salary, benefits, vacation time, management support, career opportunities... but be realistic – no new opportunity can undo all the wrongs that you may have experienced in your career.

Be realistic about the company, the job, and what will make you happy. Concentrate on the factors that are most important to you and that are under your control. And, don't make demands that may make you appear unreasonable.

10. Not asking for the job
The interview is winding up and love is in the air. Now it's time to close the deal.

Don't fall down and forget to ask for the job.

It's very appropriate to ask your interviewer how you did and whether he or she needs anything else from you. It's also the right time to reinforce your interest in the position. Make sure they know of your desire to join the firm.

Companies want to make offers to people who are going to accept them. You will advance your chances if the company knows you are going to say yes.

BayGBM

• Getbig V
« Reply #18 on: September 01, 2010, 11:39:14 AM »
Here we go again...

I am hiring again.  This morning I downloaded and printed 25 resumes and cover letters.  Most of them are going in the recycle bin.   :'(

This is actually a finance position but saying "see resume" is not enough!  Cover letters matter.  Will these job applicants never learn?  ::)

240 is Back

• Getbig V
  • Complete website for only $300- www.300website.com
« Reply #19 on: September 05, 2010, 02:11:28 PM »
haha imagine going into a job interview dressed like that

BayGBM

• Getbig V
« Reply #20 on: September 24, 2010, 07:30:27 AM »
The Worst Mistake You Can Make On Your Resume
by Karen Burns

Fact: Job hunters obsess about resumes. Who wouldn't? There's so much to get right--functional versus chronological, objective statements (pro and con), key words, templates, references, font size, white space, action verbs, employment gaps, placement and style of bullets, typos, and whether to include hobbies (probably a "no" on that last one).

So much, in fact, that we often forget the most important ingredient of a really great, interview-obtaining, new-job-snagging resume: It needs to be written specifically for the job you're after.

Does that mean you have to do a new resume for every single position you apply for? Yes, that's exactly what it means.

Fear not, this is not as laborious as it sounds. You don't have to start from scratch each time. All you need to do is edit--or refocus--your "master" resume to sync with the job in question. How?

--First, read and reread the job description. Study it. Ponder it. Identify the words and phrases the employer uses to describe the position.

--Next, take a look your work accomplishments, certifications, education, and experience. You should be keeping lists of all this stuff. This is the raw data you draw on to craft your resumes and cover letters, too.

--Then ask yourself which of your credentials can honestly be described using the same words and phrases the employer uses in the job description.

--Finally, take those words and phrases and use them to describe yourself in your resume. From this point, all you have to do is plug in info from your master resume. See, it's not a total rewrite. In fact, most of your resume will stay the same. You'll find that customizing your resume gets easier each time you do it.

A few more thoughts to consider:

--If you use a career objective at the top of the page, it should include the exact job title of the position you're seeking.

--Remove experience/qualifications that have nothing to do with the job in question. You want to make it easy for employers to see the credentials they most care about.

--Try to figure out what credentials are of highest importance to the employer and put those first. Pretend you are in the employer's shoes and ask yourself, "What's my biggest need? What's most important to me about this job?" Talk to your mentor and contacts in the field. Try to find people who are already doing the job you want and ask them, "What is the most important part of your job?"

--If your past job titles are ambiguous, overly jargony, or don't obviously relate to the job you're applying for, rephrase them in laymen's terms--in a way that shows how those past jobs qualify you for this new job.

So, what's the worst mistake you can make on your resume? Failing to customize. It's a new employment market out there. A cookie-cutter resume just doesn't cut it anymore. You need to show your potential employer that you're applying for this job, not just any job. Good luck.

Nathan

• Getbig III
  • 5'11 185 lbs
« Reply #21 on: December 17, 2010, 07:45:12 PM »
Ya i get the same thing all the time! spelling mistakes you name it. I'm even a bad speller but I take the time to spell check lol

If you cant even do a proper resume, how can I trust you to go the extra mile when I need it?
And your right about how easy technology has made it to get info and learn how to properly present your self.
In my 20's I had to go through and find publications to be informed. Had to look in the dictionary to spell. Now it's just a few clicks away so whats the excuse? I even took up BB originally because I read big men are viewed as more capable and intelligent.
P