Author Topic: Yankees...best team money can buy  (Read 3266 times)

big L dawg

• Getbig V
  • i always tell the truth even when i lie...
Yankees...best team money can buy
« on: November 05, 2009, 05:11:29 AM »
what would they do if a salary cap was implemented in baseball....
DAWG

CalvinH

• Getbig V
  • Spastic Tarted Cvunt
Re: Yankees...best team money can buy
« Reply #1 on: November 05, 2009, 06:03:27 AM »
And who gives the most $ in revenue sharing?

Grape Ape

• Getbig V
  • SC è un asino
« Reply #2 on: November 05, 2009, 06:28:47 AM »
what would they do if a salary cap was implemented in baseball....

They would do what they do in football - cast aside older team legends and try to win with a different mix.
Y

dario73

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #3 on: November 05, 2009, 08:35:06 AM »
In 2008, Boston had a $90 million payroll advantage over Tampa Bay. How did that help them in the 2008 ALCS?

Mets have the highest payroll in the NL for the past 4 years. Second in payroll this year. Have they won a championship since 1986?

Did the Yankees win a World Series from 2001 to 2008?

Money helps but doesn't guarantee anything.

With a salary cap, Yanks would still be competitive and still win titles. To think otherwise is foolish. Just look at the other sports that have a cap. Has it prevented any dynasties or has it prevented the same teams from going to the playoffs? NO   Which league has had the most different teams win a championship in the past 15 years? MLB

UPINTHEMGUTS

• Getbig V
  • I can spot crazy pussy....
« Reply #4 on: November 05, 2009, 09:13:21 AM »
In 2008, Boston had a $90 million payroll advantage over Tampa Bay. How did that help them in the 2008 ALCS?

Mets have the highest payroll in the NL for the past 4 years. Second in payroll this year. Have they won a championship since 1986?

With a salary cap, Yanks would still be competitive and still win titles. To think otherwise is foolish. Just look at the other sports that have a cap. Has it prevented any dynasties or has it prevented the same teams from going to the playoffs? NO   Which league has had the most different teams win a championship in the past 15 years? MLB

bullshit....

Fury

• Getbig V
  • All aboard the USS Leverage
« Reply #5 on: November 05, 2009, 09:15:33 AM »

Grape Ape

• Getbig V
  • SC è un asino
« Reply #6 on: November 05, 2009, 09:27:15 AM »
bullshit....

Of course they would.  They'd be at the top of the cap, and transfer all the money saved on payroll into international scouting and development.   They'd still use their financial advantages.  Plus, they also have excellent scouts and a great GM.
Y

dario73

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #7 on: November 05, 2009, 09:32:21 AM »
bullshit....

Intelligent and lucid response.

Let me give you a hint, hater. The hundreds of millions of dollars that the Yanks are not allowed to spend on payroll, they will spend in scouting and developing their players. They will invest even more in their minor leagues and lure the very best foreign talent.

Interesting how my comments on the other leagues with a payroll cap was not disputed by you. But, then again you would probably only muster the word "bullshit" instead of doing a little research.

dario73

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #8 on: November 05, 2009, 09:33:34 AM »
Of course they would.  They'd be at the top of the cap, and transfer all the money saved on payroll into international scouting and development.   They'd still use their financial advantages.  Plus, they also have excellent scouts and a great GM.

Finally. Someone who understands.

UPINTHEMGUTS

• Getbig V
« Reply #9 on: November 05, 2009, 10:33:48 AM »
Intelligent and lucid response.

Let me give you a hint, hater. The hundreds of millions of dollars that the Yanks are not allowed to spend on payroll, they will spend in scouting and developing their players. They will invest even more in their minor leagues and lure the very best foreign talent.

Interesting how my comments on the other leagues with a payroll cap was not disputed by you. But, then again you would probably only muster the word "bullshit" instead of doing a little research.

I agree that they would stay competitive. But staying competitive and winning titles are two different things.  Since there is currently no salary cap in MLB to debate about, how sure can you be so sure that the Yankees would be just as successful spending all of their money internally and developing their farm system instead of throwing huge dollars at marquee free agents like they do now year after year? And what......You don't think luring foreign talent wouldn't cost big money against their payroll if there was a salary cap in place? And spending big money developing young talent from within wouldn't eventually lead those players to seek free agent riches elsewhere to the teams that would have the room to sign them? You're delusional. The Yankees are a successful byproduct of a salary cap free MLB in the WORLD'S largest media market.

The Yankees would not be as successful with a salary cap. It's no different than the NFL when the same teams were at the top of the heap year after year in the 70's, 80's, and 90's. Once the salary cap came into play, those same teams could no longer afford to keep the same rosters virtually intact year after year and stockpile talent.

Baseball sucks......and I'm not just saying that because I live in Baltimore either.

body88

« Reply #10 on: November 05, 2009, 10:36:45 AM »
The problem ain't the big market teams, it's the small market teams who shouldn't have a team in the first place.  If your market and your fanbase can't support a team that can run with the big boys, to fucking bad. The Colts, the Packers and the Steelers are big money teams that come from small markets.

UPINTHEMGUTS

• Getbig V
« Reply #11 on: November 05, 2009, 10:40:01 AM »
The problem ain't the big market teams, it's the small market teams who shouldn't have a team in the first place.  If your market and your fanbase can't support a team that can run with the big boys, to fucking bad. The Colts, the Packers and the Steelers are big money teams that come from small markets.

In reference to baseball, it is all about the big market teams. In the NFL, it comes down to ownership and the money each team jointly receives from the NFL, not necessarily the market they play in. You can't compare MLB to NFL in this discussion, I don't think....

Grape Ape

• Getbig V
  • SC è un asino
« Reply #12 on: November 05, 2009, 11:01:13 AM »

Spot on.

It's also a problem when the smaller market teams that are supposed to use revenue sharing and luxury tax penalty money to develop their teams, are using the money to line their wallet
Y

body88

« Reply #13 on: November 05, 2009, 11:57:36 AM »
In reference to baseball, it is all about the big market teams. In the NFL, it comes down to ownership and the money each team jointly receives from the NFL, not necessarily the market they play in. You can't compare MLB to NFL in this discussion, I don't think....

I do. Team revenue is a huge part of TV contracts and the profability of the team in the NFL.  This money pays scouts, coaches and builds stadiums.  The salary cap has little to do with my argument.  My point is this, if Pitt, Indy and Wisconsin can operate a franchise that does hundreds of millions or billions of dollars in merchandising, the market is stable enough to field a competitive baseball team that can run with the big boys.   The problem is that no one gives a fuck about baseball in those type of markets.  Look at the Rays, they sported a half empty ballpark last year while hosting playoff games!  That's a perfect example of a small market team putting a great product on the field for no reason.  They shouldn't have a team there!

Look at the Red Sox, there are more people in NYC than in the entire State of MA....yet the Red Sox create almost as much revenue as the Yankees.

UPINTHEMGUTS

• Getbig V
« Reply #14 on: November 05, 2009, 01:45:53 PM »
I do. Team revenue is a huge part of TV contracts and the profability of the team in the NFL.  This money pays scouts, coaches and builds stadiums.  The salary cap has little to do with my argument.  My point is this, if Pitt, Indy and Wisconsin can operate a franchise that does hundreds of millions or billions of dollars in merchandising, the market is stable enough to field a competitive baseball team that can run with the big boys.   The problem is that no one gives a fuck about baseball in those type of markets.  Look at the Rays, they sported a half empty ballpark last year while hosting playoff games!  That's a perfect example of a small market team putting a great product on the field for no reason.  They shouldn't have a team there!

Look at the Red Sox, there are more people in NYC than in the entire State of MA....yet the Red Sox create almost as much revenue as the Yankees.

I agree with your point. My argument is that I don't think the Yankees would be as successful every season if a salary cap was in place. There is nothing about their current roster and lineup that suggests to me that they're interested in developing young talent through their farm system. They would rather trade those players away for big name players at the trade deadline or make huge splashes in free agency with big signings like Burnett, Texiera, and Sabathia in one offseason!

New York Yankees...best team money could buy......maybe with all that money they've been spending they should have a few more titles to show for it this decade.

body88

« Reply #15 on: November 05, 2009, 01:58:54 PM »
I agree with your point. My argument is that I don't think the Yankees would be as successful every season if a salary cap was in place. There is nothing about their current roster and lineup that suggests to me that they're interested in developing young talent through their farm system. They would rather trade those players away for big name players at the trade deadline or make huge splashes in free agency with big signings like Burnett, Texiera, and Sabathia in one offseason!

New York Yankees...best team money could buy......maybe with all that money they've been spending they should have a few more titles to show for it this decade.

I don't.  The Yankees weren't anymore successful than every other team that didn't win the world series over the last ten years, until now.  There are to many teams in the MLB.  All these bottom feeder teams, who are in small markets, where no one gives a shit about baseball, are skewing things.

I fucking hate them, but it is what it is.

Grape Ape

• Getbig V
  • SC è un asino
« Reply #16 on: November 05, 2009, 02:19:51 PM »

I don't.  The Yankees weren't anymore successful than every other team that didn't win the world series over the last ten years, until now.  There are to many teams in the MLB.  All these bottom feeder teams, who are in small markets, where no one gives a shit about baseball, are skewing things.

Yup, extra teams dilute the skill base, which causes even more disparity, and enhanced numbers.

But, the MLBPA and the owners will never go for contraction.

Changes that I wish would happen are making the first round of the playoffs a best of 7, giving the WC team a greater disadvantage by having no home games, making the team with the best record play them, regardless of division, and eliminating the unbalanced schedule.  I don't need to see the sox, O's, Blue Jays and Rays 19 times each.  Plus that really hurts any AL East team not named the Yankees or Red Sox.
Y

Earl1972

• Getbig V
  • #EarlToo
« Reply #17 on: November 05, 2009, 04:25:36 PM »

some of the small markets do care about baseball, when the pirates were in the pennant race in the early 90's every game sold out

if the sox had 17 straight losing seasons do you really think they would sell as many tickets?

only fans of large market teams support the joke that is baseball, you know it gives your team a major advantage

E

E

Andy Griffin

• Getbig V
  • I know my own name, bitch.
« Reply #18 on: November 07, 2009, 04:42:42 PM »

Spot on.

It's also a problem when the smaller market teams that are supposed to use revenue sharing and luxury tax penalty money to develop their teams, are using the money to line their wallet

I feel that if a sport has a salary cap, it should also have a salary floor to prevent that sort of thing. 
~

Andy Griffin

• Getbig V
  • I know my own name, bitch.
« Reply #19 on: November 07, 2009, 04:55:26 PM »

You make some solid points, but here is the breakdown of the last 15 years:

MLB: 9 (Braves, Yankees, Marlins, D'Backs, Angels, Red Sox, White Sox, Cardinals, Phillies)
NFL: 11(49ers, Cowboys, Packers, Broncos, Rams, Ravens, Pats, Bucs, Steelers, Colts, Giants)
NBA: 7 (Rockets, Bulls, Spurs, Lakers, Pistons, Heat, Celtics)
NHL: 8 (Rangers, Devils, Avs, Red Wings, Lightning, Canes, Ducks, Penguins)

~

body88

« Reply #20 on: November 07, 2009, 04:58:30 PM »
The problem with a salary cap in baseball is the TV contracts, the length of the season, and that revenue is localized and not shared like in the NFL.

MRDUMPLING

• Getbig IV
  • Getbig!
« Reply #21 on: November 10, 2009, 11:54:38 AM »
The problem with a salary cap in baseball is the TV contracts, the length of the season, and that revenue is localized and not shared like in the NFL.

That says it all right there.