Author Topic: Healthcare Q - is this true? (exemptions)  (Read 631 times)

240 is Back

• Getbig V
  • Complete website for only $300- www.300website.com
Healthcare Q - is this true? (exemptions)
« on: November 08, 2009, 12:10:19 AM »
Are the insurance companies currently allowed to work around anti-trust laws?  See bold below.  And if so - does the Repub alternative bill also end this exemption?

Source: Associated Press

The legislation would require most Americans to carry insurance and provide federal subsidies to those who otherwise could not afford it. Large companies would have to offer coverage to their employees. Both consumers and companies would be slapped with penalties if they defied the government's mandates.

Insurance industry practices such as denying coverage on the basis of pre-existing medical conditions would be banned, and insurers would no longer be able to charge higher premiums on the basis of gender or medical history. In a further slap, the industry would lose its exemption from federal antitrust restrictions on price gouging, bid rigging and market allocation.

At its core, the measure would create a federally regulated marketplace where consumers could shop for coverage. In the bill's most controversial provision, the government would sell insurance, although the Congressional Budget Office forecasts that premiums for it would be more expensive than for policies sold by private firms.

The bill is projected to expand coverage to 36 million uninsured, resulting in 96 percent of the nation's eligible population having insurance.

240 is Back

• Getbig V
Re: Healthcare Q - is this true? (exemptions)
« Reply #1 on: November 08, 2009, 01:44:43 PM »
21 views and nobody has an answer?  :(

Soul Crusher

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
  • Doesnt lie about lifting.
« Reply #2 on: November 08, 2009, 02:00:39 PM »
21 views and nobody has an answer?  :(

Its only partially true 240.

The Fed Gov is mandating the  carriers offer all sorts of shit even on the basic plan, thus you will not really have any choice.  In fact, the CBO said that the cost of the public plan will mostly likely be even higher than the costs of private insurance now.   

Hedgehog

• Getbig V
  • It Rubs The Lotion On Its Skin.
« Reply #3 on: November 08, 2009, 02:54:42 PM »
I'd like to see the anti-trust legislation in print before I believe it.
Wouldn't surprise me the least if the insurance corps somehow manages to sneak out of this one and end up benefiting from the reform.

Corps and a lot of politicians are in bed with each other.
As empty as paradise

Soul Crusher

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
« Reply #4 on: November 08, 2009, 02:57:39 PM »
I'd like to see the anti-trust legislation in print before I believe it.
Wouldn't surprise me the least if the insurance corps somehow manages to sneak out of this one and end up benefiting from the reform.

Corps and a lot of politicians are in bed with each other.

Hedge - read my thread about DK. 

This bill is a complete joke and will only drive costs higher!. 

240 is Back

• Getbig V
« Reply #5 on: November 08, 2009, 03:26:32 PM »
so while the O plan sucks - it tries to stop this anti-trust stuff, and the repubs dont?

Another Q... if the plan passes, what will happen to prices over the next 3 years, and why?

Soul Crusher

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
« Reply #6 on: November 08, 2009, 03:31:04 PM »
so while the O plan sucks - it tries to stop this anti-trust stuff, and the repubs dont?

Another Q... if the plan passes, what will happen to prices over the next 3 years, and why?

The tax increases begin immediately, but the plan goes into effect in 2013.  They front loaded the tax increases to get a good score from the CBO and so they can say that over a 10 year period it does not add to the deficit.  But if you go out beyond that time frame, the figures are awful.  . 

Hedgehog

• Getbig V
  • It Rubs The Lotion On Its Skin.
« Reply #7 on: November 08, 2009, 04:26:47 PM »
If Obamacare is success it's the biggest political reform  since new deal, Marshal plan or EU.

if it becomes a failure - then it's possibly the biggest political failure in western modern history.

As empty as paradise

Soul Crusher

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
« Reply #8 on: November 09, 2009, 04:53:57 AM »
If Obamacare is success it's the biggest political reform  since new deal, Marshal plan or EU.

if it becomes a failure - then it's possibly the biggest political failure in western modern history.

Here is the problem Hedge - while the taxes start immediately, the plan does not start to go into effect until 2013. 

If this thing thing is the disaster I ,am most sensible people, realize it is, there will be no way to hold those who put in to law accountable. 

Obama is lying AGAIN about the costs of this thing.