Author Topic: NYS Democrats to taxpayers: "Drop Dead" (Focusing on gay marriage instead!)  (Read 1337 times)

Soul Crusher

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
  • Doesnt lie about lifting.
Nov 10, 2009 6:18 am US/Eastern Paterson: NYS Will Be Broke Before Christmas

Delivers Scary News To Legislature, Says Only Way To Fix Problem Is To Have Immediate Cuts To Education, Hospitals Reporting

Marcia Kramer ALBANY (CBS) ― 
________________________ ________________________ ____

Gov. David Paterson told the state Legislature on Nov. 9, 2009, if there aren't immediate cuts made to education and hospitals New York State will be broke before Christmas.

Governor David Paterson called an unusual joint session of the Legislature Monday to implore recalcitrant lawmakers to close the state's huge budget gap before New York runs out of money.

To some lawmakers it's nothing more than a photo op to help Paterson get re-elected. But the governor is dead serious. He said if the Legislature doesn't cut the budget now the state could run out of money by next month.

"We're going to run out of cash in four and a half weeks. We are going to run out of money. Unless we do something about it, (it will) threaten generations," Paterson said.

And so began what is turning out to be a tense tug of war between Gov. Paterson and the Legislature.

The governor says $3.2 billion in cuts must be enacted how -- or else. The cuts range from $500 million in agency spending to over $1 billion in already committed in aid to school districts and hospitals.

"I will mortgage my political career, but I will not mortgage the fate of the State of New York," Paterson said.

But Senate Democrats, with their tenuous 32-30 hold on the upper house, are terrified to make school and hospital cuts because, they said, the cuts could mean increases in local property taxes.

And that could mean suburban Democrats on Long Island, in Westchester and other parts of the state could have trouble getting re-elected next year.

Remember, high property taxes led to the ouster of many suburban Democrats last week, including Westchester County Executive Andy Spano. Nassau County Executive Tom Suozzi could also lose once absentee ballots are counted.

"Personally, I do not favor mid-year school cuts," said State Sen. Pedro Espada, D-Bronx.

"Last year, in the midst of this financial crisis, the Senate and the Assembly together with the governor decided to raise spending by $12 billion," added Sen. Andrew Lanza, R-Staten Island.

"I'd rather present 96 or 97 percent of a check to school districts, to hospitals than to have them call up and say where's my check? And the state says, sorry, we didn't have any money," said Assembly Speaker Sheldon Silver, D-Manhattan.

The governor has ordered lawmakers into special session Tuesday to close the budget gap. Right now there is no agreement and he could flex his muscles by keeping them here until there is.

Also on the agenda Tuesday are bills to legalize gay marriage, toughen drunk-driving laws, impose a cap on state spending and reform the state's public authorities.

________________________ ________________________ __________

More liberal governance on full display.  2010 & 2012 - the left wing freak show ends. 

240 is Back

• Getbig V
  • Complete website for only $300- www.300website.com
More liberal governance on full display.  2010 & 2012 - the left wing freak show ends. 

How will the GOP clean it up?  serious Q. 

Cutting spending is the common answer, but that means a lot of jobs will be cut too. 

LurkerNoMore

• Getbig V
  • Dumb people think Trump is smart.
Where is the "drop dead" part?

Soul Crusher

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
How will the GOP clean it up?  serious Q. 

Cutting spending is the common answer, but that means a lot of jobs will be cut too. 

240 - the property taxes are so high here that it is causing a mass exodus from this state. 

Soul Crusher

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
Where is the "drop dead" part?

They are refusing to cut spending and the state is heading towards bankruptcy, just like I told you a few months ago. 

The "Drop Dead" phrase was a famous saying from the 70's when NYC was near bankruptcy and the same thing was said.

All we have running day and night are sob story ads from the unions crying about spending cuts and the dem senators are following the unions on this, to the deteriment of the taxpayers.

Instead, they are taking up gay marraige.   

LurkerNoMore

• Getbig V
So they didn't really say "drop dead".

Figures.

::)

Soul Crusher

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
So they didn't really say "drop dead".

Figures.

::)

They tell us that every day with the insane taxes and spending.

This state is going the way of CA because of liberal psychotic fantasies where spending, math, debt, does not matter. 

LurkerNoMore

• Getbig V
Again, they didn't really say it.

You once again gloss over facts to push your propaganda.  This is why no one takes you seriously on here.

Soul Crusher

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
Again, they didn't really say it.

You once again gloss over facts to push your propaganda.  This is why no one takes you seriously on here.

Maybe if you had an ounce of education and knowledge of history you would have understood the reference.

But coming from a jackass liberal who voted for Obama, cheered the stimulus bill & CFC, what else should anyone expect? 

LurkerNoMore

• Getbig V
So what you are saying is that they really didn't say it?

BM OUT

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
Re: NYS Democrats to taxpayers: "Drop Dead" (Focusing on gay marriage instead!)
« Reply #10 on: November 10, 2009, 12:25:04 PM »
Never quite understood the facination over gay marriage for or against.I mean there are about 8,000,000 more important things going on and we worry if queers can get married.

Soul Crusher

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
Re: NYS Democrats to taxpayers: "Drop Dead" (Focusing on gay marriage instead!)
« Reply #11 on: November 10, 2009, 12:29:33 PM »
So what you are saying is that they really didn't say it?

Would you feel better if I omitted the quotation marks considering the fact that my reference is otherwise historically accurate?