Author Topic: Televisions: When it comes to HD LCD Tv, how is Vizio?  (Read 15023 times)

Royalty

• Getbig V
  • Mentzer is Alive
Televisions: When it comes to HD LCD Tv, how is Vizio?
« on: November 11, 2009, 07:33:53 AM »
I hear their advertisements on ESPN sports radio. I really dont know much about their company or products. Does Vizio compare well with Toshiba, Sony, Samsung ect....?

Butterbean

• Special Guests
  • Getbig V
Re: When it comes to HD LCD Tv, how is Vizio?
« Reply #1 on: November 11, 2009, 07:43:50 AM »
I hear their advertisements on ESPN sports radio. I really dont know much about their company or products. Does Vizio compare well with Toshiba, Sony, Samsung ect....?

Our last TV we purchased is a Vizio.  So far..so good.

I'm not a fan of Samsung products as we had 2 DVD players that died early deaths (like months) and one Samsung TV we had stopped working correctly after one day!  We took it back and the replacement is doing fine but we have another Samsung TV that I really don't care for either.  

We had a Sony Wega awhile back(?) and it didn't seem to last very long (just a few years).

Vizio seems pretty decent.
R

jpm101

• Getbig IV
« Reply #2 on: November 11, 2009, 07:59:17 AM »
Have a Vizio and LG. The LG gets a clearer picture and sound. Both on the same cable network (Verizon FIO's). If any TV does not seem to be running at it's best, than you may want to have it calibrated. Just another way of tweaking it for best potential. Can read up and do it yourself or have a service guy do it for you. Not that expensive if you want higher quality.

Just to add, there is a difference between Dish and Cable. A lot may depends on the area where you live and (again) calibration.
F

body88

« Reply #3 on: November 11, 2009, 08:04:01 AM »
I have a 1080p Sony Bravia xp and I love it.  No idea about Vizio, but the Sony's are really nice!

JasonH

• Getbig V
« Reply #4 on: November 11, 2009, 08:18:59 AM »
My new Samsung LED TV arrives tomorow - I'm off work specially for it!  8)

40inch UE7020 model to be exact.

erokyrwrld

• Getbig II
  • Getbig!
« Reply #5 on: November 11, 2009, 08:57:54 AM »
Because the industry is so competitive right now, you really do get what you pay for.  Vizio's are one of the cheapest lines of hdtvs, so what does that tell you?

RJ DRIVER

• Getbig IV
  • I'm like a retard minus the strength
« Reply #6 on: November 11, 2009, 10:25:02 AM »
its a mid range tv.  Good prices and average picture quality.  I looked at them but Toshiba and Sony had a better picture quality and sharper colors.  Not a bad tv but def not the best.  My sister and brother in law bought one a few years ago and they have had no problems with it.  Its all personal preference in what your looking for and what your willing to spend.

funk51

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #7 on: November 11, 2009, 12:50:51 PM »
panasonic 50 inch plasma for 900 exellent price and picture
F

MRDUMPLING

• Getbig IV
  • Getbig!
« Reply #8 on: November 11, 2009, 01:18:05 PM »
I have a 42" Vizio.  RJ said it best, if you are on a budget then Vizio is the best mid range out there.(Even better that Sanyo and Samsung if you ask me), but there is better out there.  My next one will probably be a Sony or a Phillips. 

Vizio is a sister company to Sony so they are of great value for the money.

myt1

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #9 on: November 11, 2009, 01:33:42 PM »
I bought a 52" mitsubishi lcd rear projection tv 4 years ago, and thank goodness i got the four year warranty from best buy.  I'm on my third bulb already and had to have the ballast(sp?) replaced too.  Luckily it was all covered.  Pic is pretty good, but on lcd's when there is a lot of outside light you can't see shit.

I wanted a tv for the bedroom, and ended up getting a vizio plasma about 18 months ago.  It's either 32 or 36" can't remember.  It's only a 720p and I actually like it better than my big screen picture wise.  Colors are bright and pic is very clear.  Very little pixilation compared to the lcd, and light does not wash out the picture at all.   Only paid $500 for it as well 8)

HICKSON

• Getbig IV
  • Bunch of slack-jaw fagg0ts round here.
« Reply #10 on: November 11, 2009, 01:34:24 PM »
My new Samsung LED TV arrives tomorow - I'm off work specially for it!  8)

40inch UE7020 model to be exact.

I have the 55" UN55B8500XFXZA

The Samsung LED ARE the GetBig of all T.V's
Giving 110%

NarcissisticDeity

• Getbig V
  • Go back to making jewelry and cakes with your girl
« Reply #11 on: November 11, 2009, 01:44:52 PM »

http://www.cnet.com/1770-5_1-0.html?query=vizio&tag=srch

start here  ;)

KevinP85

• Getbig IV
« Reply #12 on: November 11, 2009, 03:08:25 PM »
Panasonic is good, but if you want the best Pioneers are the way to go, but unfortunately, I think they stopped making tvs.

G o a t b o y

• Time Out
  • Getbig V
  • Time-Out in Dubai, India with Swampi the Cocksmith
« Reply #13 on: November 11, 2009, 05:29:30 PM »

I have the 55" UN55B8500XFXZA

The Samsung LED ARE the GetBig of all T.V's

Me too.  Great TV.  The LED backlighting makes all the difference.  Vizios are low-end wal-mart specials.  They'll do the job if you don't currently have a big flat-screen, but if you're looking for high-end of even middle-of-the-road, they're not all that.
Ron: "I am lazy."

The_Hammer

• Getbig V
  • President Barack Obama -- 2 Term U.S. President
« Reply #14 on: November 11, 2009, 05:31:24 PM »
I'm one of the first people in the country to own a 60" OLED TV. Shits on anything you own. ;D

brad_74

• Getbig II
« Reply #15 on: November 11, 2009, 07:17:34 PM »
My Job is selling tvs for a living:

1)Sony is the best, but you must get the right one. The V series and below are junk. The W and Z series are great. All XBR's are the best LCD's  on the market

http://www.sonystyle.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/CategoryDisplay?catalogId=10551&storeId=10151&langId=-1&categoryId=8198552921644628896&N=4294955667

2)Samsung would be second to Sony. DO NOT buy one of the LED Samsungs as they are only side lit LED's. Therefore the LED's must be too bright to light the whole TV. The effect is everything looks Fluorescent. Instead spend less $$ and buy a series 700 LCD

http://www.samsung.com/ca/consumer/detail/detail.do?group=tv&type=tv&subtype=lcd&model_cd=LN52B750U1FXZA

3)LG would be third. Best looking LED's on the market(thinnest) and they are not side lit, they are fully back lit therefore not as bright and unrealistic(Samsungs LED). The reason they are cheaper than others is that they manufacture EVERYTHING that goes into the TV. From the paint to the panels to the processing chip. All the other companies buy supplies from the other manufactures(Sony buys all the panels from Samsung). When they manufacture everything they eliminate the middle man, therefore having lower productions costs. But because they manufacture everything they don't have top of the line everything.

http://www.lge.com/us/sl80/index.jsp

4) Sharp would be forth. They have fallen a lot. Very average TVs

5) Toshiba- Best for gaming. Average for everything else

6) Vizio, just plain suck

With every LCD manufacturer they come standard with a 60 hertz speed. The higher end models have 120 HZ. The highest end models come with 240 HZ. DONT buy a 60 HZ TV as they all look like shit. If you can afford it get a 240 HZ(best for high motion Example: sports action movies). If the TV you are looking at doesnt tell you the HZ, that means it is a 60 HZ. Again make sure you get at least 120 HZ.

Pioneer had the best PLASMA TV on the market with the KURO technology, but unfortunately couldn't afford to keep making TV's(fucking recession). They sold all of their KURO technology to Panasonic. A Panasonic Z series TV is basically a Pioneer.

Hope that help

Last get 1080P instead of 720P, the cost differential is worth the extra pixels.

kiwiol

• Getbig V
  • Who is John Galt?
« Reply #16 on: November 11, 2009, 07:33:17 PM »
My Job is selling tvs for a living:
1)Sony is the best, but you must get the right one. The V series and below are junk. The W and Z series are great. All XBR's are the best LCD's  on the market
http://www.sonystyle.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/CategoryDisplay?catalogId=10551&storeId=10151&langId=-1&categoryId=8198552921644628896&N=4294955667

2)Samsung would be second to Sony. DO NOT buy one of the LED Samsungs as they are only side lit LED's. Therefore the LED's must be too bright to light the whole TV. The effect is everything looks Fluorescent. Instead spend less $$ and buy a series 700 LCD
http://www.samsung.com/ca/consumer/detail/detail.do?group=tv&type=tv&subtype=lcd&model_cd=LN52B750U1FXZA

3)LG would be third. Best looking LED's on the market(thinnest) and they are not side lit, they are fully back lit therefore not as bright and unrealistic(Samsungs LED). The reason they are cheaper than others is that they manufacture EVERYTHING that goes into the TV. From the paint to the panels to the processing chip. All the other companies buy supplies from the other manufactures(Sony buys all the panels from Samsung). When they manufacture everything they eliminate the middle man, therefore having lower productions costs. But because they manufacture everything they don't have top of the line everything.
http://www.lge.com/us/sl80/index.jsp

4)Sharp would be forth. They have fallen a lot. Very average TVs

5) Toshiba- Best for gaming. Average for everything else

6) Vizio, just plain suck

With every LCD manufacturer they come standard with a 60 hertz speed. The higher end models have 120 HZ. The highest end models come with 240 HZ. DONT buy a 60 HZ TV as they all look like shit. If you can afford it get a 240 HZ(best for high motion Example: sports action movies).
If the TV you are looking at doesnt tell you the HZ, that means it is a 60 HZ. Again make sure you get at least 120 HZ.

Pioneer had the best PLASMA TV on the market with the KURO technology, but unfortunately couldn't afford to keep making TV's(fucking recession). They sold all of their KURO technology to Panasonic. A Panasonic Z series TV is basically a Pioneer.

Hope that help

Last get 1080P instead of 720P, the cost differential is worth the extra pixels.

Good stuff, man. Can you explain why Toshiba is good for gaming and average for everything else? Thanks.

flexingtonsteele

• Competitors II
  • Getbig V
  • The new age pussy Punisher!
« Reply #17 on: November 11, 2009, 07:35:14 PM »
i got a 42 inch samsung and i love it...........

dont know much about vizio, but ill tell u this whenever i go to costco there is almost always a vizio box in the return pile.....

tom joad

• Getbig V
« Reply #18 on: November 11, 2009, 07:50:08 PM »
My Job is selling tvs for a living: . . .

Hope that help

Thanks for the lowdown on TVs.  I'm also gonna be buying one soon and, yes, your insight helps.

grab an umbrella

• Getbig IV
« Reply #19 on: November 11, 2009, 08:00:16 PM »
Why would you want a tv that has a refresh rate of 240hz when 95% of what you watch is 24fps???  You a big fan of frame interpolation?  Fuck LCD, plasma is still better.  KURO PLASMA.

Also for everyone else here you do not own and LED tv, you own an LED BACKLIGHT lcd tv.  

brad_74

• Getbig II
« Reply #20 on: November 11, 2009, 11:10:03 PM »

I actually saw a Demo done by a Toshiba rep. It showed a Toshiba beside, a sony. When gaming the Sony TV actually doesn't have a proper aspect ratio and cuts off about 2%of the screen. Toshiba does not do this. They showed a demo playing Halo and you could not see where the person was sniping from on a Sony TV. On the Toshiba you could see exactly where the sniper was shooting from(due to the extra 2%). Also when gaming Toshiba realized colors are a lot different than real life colors, therefore making vids look great on your Toshiba hdtv

brad_74

• Getbig II
« Reply #21 on: November 11, 2009, 11:28:53 PM »
Most cable comes in 24 fps,

Plasma(I agree Kuro is the best TV on the market) has each frame flash much much faster than 24fps. Each frame fades to black very quickly(fools the eye), providing for the smoothest picture. Plasma TVS although different technology equate to 600 HZ

Unfortunately LCD flicks from frame to frame. When watching a 60 HZ TV your eyes will see quite a bit of blur or "Jitter"(think when you are watching a streaming video on the internet). 120 HZ ads an extra frame in between each frame providing for a smoother picture. 240 HZ(although can be hard to see a difference between 120 and 240) adds 3 frames in between each frame providing for the smoothest picture.

Don't get me wrong, I prefer plasma(deeper blacks, reds) fastest TV on the market, but they wanted to talk LCD's.

And yes you are 100% correct about owning a LED back lit LCD TV. LED has LCD technology, but just lit differently(think strands of x-mas lights instead of 3 fluorescent tubes)

I have no need to lie here? Just trying to help.

JasonH

• Getbig V
« Reply #22 on: November 12, 2009, 12:32:52 AM »

For everyone else here you do not own an LED tv, you own an LED BACKLIGHT lcd tv. 

I'm quite aware of that.

But it still beats normal LCD and plasma hands down and is worth paying extra for.

oldman

• Getbig III
« Reply #23 on: November 12, 2009, 04:37:12 AM »
nutrition, bodybuilding, and now consumer electronics experts...what next ::)

myt1

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #24 on: November 12, 2009, 05:56:08 AM »

Most cable comes in 24 fps,
Plasma(I agree Kuro is the best TV on the market) has each frame flash much much faster than 24fps. Each frame fades to black very quickly(fools the eye), providing for the smoothest picture. Plasma TVS although different technology equate to 600 HZ

Unfortunately LCD flicks from frame to frame. When watching a 60 HZ TV your eyes will see quite a bit of blur or "Jitter"(think when you are watching a streaming video on the internet). 120 HZ ads an extra frame in between each frame providing for a smoother picture. 240 HZ(although can be hard to see a difference between 120 and 240) adds 3 frames in between each frame providing for the smoothest picture.

Don't get me wrong, I prefer plasma(deeper blacks, reds) fastest TV on the market, but they wanted to talk LCD's.

And yes you are 100% correct about owning a LED back lit LCD TV. LED has LCD technology, but just lit differently(think strands of x-mas lights instead of 3 fluorescent tubes)

I have no need to lie here? Just trying to help.

If you can understand and remember all this shit you should go to med school.  Seriously, where the fuck does anyone even go to learn all this crap, and why bother?