Author Topic: Televisions: When it comes to HD LCD Tv, how is Vizio?  (Read 15103 times)

Captain Equipoise

• Getbig V
  • back from the dead...
Re: Televisions: When it comes to HD LCD Tv, how is Vizio?
« Reply #50 on: December 15, 2009, 01:28:48 AM »
Plasma may be superior, but LCD all the way.

Hate that frickin' BURN IN crap!

That's why I didn't bother with the plasma, as soon as you get burn in/dead pixels... it's ruined
it's one thing if it happens on the outer perimeter of the display, but if it happens somewhere around the centre. You're fucked.

oldman

• Getbig III
« Reply #51 on: December 15, 2009, 03:44:09 AM »
            I have read that unless the cable is 20ft or more, a $6 HDMI cable is as good as $100+ Monster HDMI. 

please look at the throughput, all cables are no equal.  bad info.

Kwon

• Getbig V
  • Team Hairy Chest Henda
« Reply #52 on: December 15, 2009, 04:28:05 AM »
That's why I didn't bother with the plasma, as soon as you get burn in/dead pixels... it's ruined
it's one thing if it happens on the outer perimeter of the display, but if it happens somewhere around the centre. You're fucked.

True that Cap!

I never even bother checking for new Plasmas, always LCD!
Q

El Diablo Blanco

• Getbig V
  • Nom Nom Nom Nom
« Reply #53 on: December 15, 2009, 07:31:22 AM »

A digital signal requires very little throughput.  At monoprice you can get the best cables for 90% cheaper than anywhere else.

Grape Ape

• Getbig V
  • SC è un asino
« Reply #54 on: December 15, 2009, 09:32:14 AM »
A digital signal requires very little throughput.  At monoprice you can get the best cables for 90% cheaper than anywhere else.

That's exactly what I'm thinking.  Do you have any you suggest?

I was surprised by how different the picture was from component to HDMI.  Huge on my TV.
Y

El Diablo Blanco

• Getbig V
  • Nom Nom Nom Nom
« Reply #55 on: December 15, 2009, 01:21:50 PM »
That's exactly what I'm thinking.  Do you have any you suggest?

I was surprised by how different the picture was from component to HDMI.  Huge on my TV.

At monoprice you can get hdmi's that are certified high speed and gold plated for less than $10.  I use them on all my sets and they rock.

http://www.monoprice.com/products/subdepartment.asp?c_id=102&cp_id=10240

Grape Ape

• Getbig V
  • SC è un asino
« Reply #56 on: December 15, 2009, 01:34:38 PM »
At monoprice you can get hdmi's that are certified high speed and gold plated for less than $10.  I use them on all my sets and they rock.

http://www.monoprice.com/products/subdepartment.asp?c_id=102&cp_id=10240

Thanks, dude.  I actually ordered two this morning, one for the TV and one for the PS3.
Y

Captain Equipoise

• Getbig V
  • back from the dead...
« Reply #57 on: December 15, 2009, 04:00:00 PM »

In a home situation you won't see the difference, unless you're working in television or media and are broadcasting, you don't need high end super duper oxygen free cables,  monster cable is the biggest ripoff on the planet
there's NO difference in quality for home users, even in professional use the reason people get higher end cables is because they last longer and are more durable (when you have to constantly move shit around on studio/set)

El Diablo Blanco

• Getbig V
  • Nom Nom Nom Nom
« Reply #58 on: December 15, 2009, 04:07:18 PM »
Thanks, dude.  I actually ordered two this morning, one for the TV and one for the PS3.

I ordered two tv mounts for $20 each.  These things were $50 at walmart and $80 at best buy.  It is the best site I've seen for electronic accessories.  Plus their Tech chat feature is awesome if you ever have questions for them.

Grape Ape

• Getbig V
  • SC è un asino
« Reply #59 on: December 15, 2009, 06:26:09 PM »
I ordered two tv mounts for $20 each.  These things were $50 at walmart and $80 at best buy.  It is the best site I've seen for electronic accessories.  Plus their Tech chat feature is awesome if you ever have questions for them.

Yes, although I've heard about them a lot, I never had a need to go there.  It was great.  I have a ton of CAT-5 cables running through my house, and they end in a mess in my basement.  I'm thinking monoprice might have some nice solutions for that.
Y

G o a t b o y

• Time Out
  • Getbig V
  • Time-Out in Dubai, India with Swampi the Cocksmith
« Reply #60 on: December 15, 2009, 06:37:50 PM »
This argument still going on?

Okay, seriously, last time....

Vizio = Cheap ass, bottom-of-the-line Wal Mart special

Buy a Sony or Samsung.
Ron: "I am lazy."

jtsunami

• Time Out
  • Getbig V
  • I support Bigbobs
« Reply #61 on: December 15, 2009, 06:48:43 PM »
I hear their advertisements on ESPN sports radio. I really dont know much about their company or products. Does Vizio compare well with Toshiba, Sony, Samsung ect....?

go pray about it and maybe god will give you your answer, after all he talks to you right????
TEAM Nasser

G o a t b o y

• Time Out
  • Getbig V
  • Time-Out in Dubai, India with Swampi the Cocksmith
« Reply #62 on: December 15, 2009, 06:56:27 PM »
go pray about it and maybe god will give you your answer, after all he talks to you right????

God told me he's sending Royalty to Hell for excessive masturbation.
Ron: "I am lazy."

tendonitis

• Getbig V
« Reply #63 on: December 15, 2009, 07:10:25 PM »

God told me he's sending Royalty to Hell for excessive masturbation.

you can go to hell for that?

uh oh

Grape Ape

• Getbig V
  • SC è un asino
« Reply #64 on: December 15, 2009, 07:13:57 PM »

Buy a Sony or Samsung.

Yeah, but wasn't Ron talking about the Wii being a primary use of it?   Wii is what, 480 I or P?  You don't need anything good, except the lack of a lame refresh rate.  Vizio is fine for that.
Y

NeoSeminole

• Getbig V
  • Ronnie > Dorian
Re: When it comes to HD LCD Tv, how is Vizio?
« Reply #65 on: December 15, 2009, 11:20:12 PM »
I have a 1080p Sony Bravia xp and I love it.  No idea about Vizio, but the Sony's are really nice!

xp?? You mean XBR? I have a Sony 46" Bravia Z 240 Hz, and the picture quality is unreal.

NeoSeminole

• Getbig V
  • Ronnie > Dorian
« Reply #66 on: December 15, 2009, 11:24:10 PM »
please look at the throughput, all cables are no equal.  bad info.

Category 2 certified (highest rating possible) HDMI cables for $10. Don't always believe the hype of more expensive brands.

http://www.amazon.com/Mediabridge-Ultra-Version-Category-Certified/dp/B0019EHU8G/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&s=electronics&qid=1260948132&sr=8-2

Ron

• Getbigistrator
  • Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #67 on: December 17, 2009, 04:03:33 PM »

Thanks - ordered these cables

mossel

• Getbig IV
  • I blame it on the D-bol!!!!
« Reply #68 on: December 17, 2009, 11:56:38 PM »

travisma

• Getbig II
« Reply #69 on: December 18, 2009, 02:02:50 AM »
If your job is selling televisions for a living it seems you dont know much about them at all....

My Job is selling tvs for a living:

1)Sony is the best, but you must get the right one. The V series and below are junk. The W and Z series are great. All XBR's are the best LCD's  on the market - Interesting to say sony considering that they dont produce their own panels at all. In fact they purchase from about three different OEM manufacturers in China such as TPV, Hisense and some Haier. They do produce their own motion technology but also keep in mind that depending on their screen size they also buy panels from Sharp and Samsung.

http://www.sonystyle.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/CategoryDisplay?catalogId=10551&storeId=10151&langId=-1&categoryId=8198552921644628896&N=4294955667

2)Samsung would be second to Sony. DO NOT buy one of the LED Samsungs as they are only side lit LED's. Therefore the LED's must be too bright to light the whole TV. The effect is everything looks Fluorescent. Instead spend less $$ and buy a series 700 LCD Once again you should explain the whole picture if this is your job. Really what matters with LED technology is whether or not it is a scanning backlight via LED, not really whether it is side lit. This makes the difference in LED. Also if you want to get complicated it also depends on the colour rendering of the LED chip itself.

http://www.samsung.com/ca/consumer/detail/detail.do?group=tv&type=tv&subtype=lcd&model_cd=LN52B750U1FXZA

3)LG would be third. Best looking LED's on the market(thinnest) and they are not side lit, they are fully back lit therefore not as bright and unrealistic(Samsungs LED). The reason they are cheaper than others is that they manufacture EVERYTHING that goes into the TV. From the paint to the panels to the processing chip. All the other companies buy supplies from the other manufactures(Sony buys all the panels from Samsung). When they manufacture everything they eliminate the middle man, therefore having lower productions costs. But because they manufacture everything they don't have top of the line everything.They manufacturer everything themselves? Really so when Philips owned a 50% share in their LCD factories and provided the motion technology for their panels they still made it all themselves?? Really?? They are the worst made panels in the market, hence the reason why they could not gain marketshare in the states when they were called Goldstar but had to rename the brand to LG. Crap and always will be crap.

http://www.lge.com/us/sl80/index.jsp

4) Sharp would be forth. They have fallen a lot. Very average TVsAgain wrong. Sharp actually produce more better quality grade "A" Panels than any other player in the market, While they are not the prettiest design they have the best colour rendering and possible picture, motion is a bit off but they are better than LG and Samsung.

5) Toshiba- Best for gaming. Average for everything else They dont even make their own panels or products, complete OEM products from China.

6) Vizio, just plain suck

With every LCD manufacturer they come standard with a 60 hertz speed. The higher end models have 120 HZ. The highest end models come with 240 HZ. DONT buy a 60 HZ TV as they all look like shit. If you can afford it get a 240 HZ(best for high motion Example: sports action movies). If the TV you are looking at doesnt tell you the HZ, that means it is a 60 HZ. Again make sure you get at least 120 HZ.
Ok what is the real difference between the hertz speed here?? Do you actually know?? Probably not by the sound of it. Maybe you should ask one of the manufacturers reps whether or not the actually panel is 120hz or even 240hz?? Or is it really just the processor??

Pioneer had the best PLASMA TV on the market with the KURO technology, but unfortunately couldn't afford to keep making TV's(fucking recession). They sold all of their KURO technology to Panasonic. A Panasonic Z series TV is basically a Pioneer.
Pioneer by far is the best picture, the reason why they exited the market is quite simple, they invested too much money into Plasma factories and it became a recession, also didnt help that the koreans also are subsidised by the governments to keep going and drive the price down
Hope that help

Last get 1080P instead of 720P, the cost differential is worth the extra pixels.

jesusbod

• Getbig IV
  • Bite Me!
« Reply #70 on: December 18, 2009, 06:39:16 AM »
Because the industry is so competitive right now, you really do get what you pay for.  Vizio's are one of the cheapest lines of hdtvs, so what does that tell you?

That is not always a correct statement..

I have two Vizio TV's and they both ROCK! They are affordable, not cheap.... I Sony LCD HD flatscreen, paid a shitload of money for it and it sucked ass...

I have a 47 inch 1080P Vizio in my bedroom and a 55 inch 1080pm 120hz Vizio in my Living room. They both are best TV's I've had so far..

NeoSeminole

• Getbig V
  • Ronnie > Dorian
« Reply #71 on: December 18, 2009, 08:35:15 AM »
my $.02 for those who are interested in buying HD TVs

for the economical consumer, Vizio's deliver the most bang for your buck. You might be able to find better deals on other brands if you wait around for the holiday's. For example, I got my Sony 46" Bravia Z 240 Hz for $1,165 (normally cost over $1,600) during Black Friday.

the top of the line Sharp LCD probably had the best picture quality out of all the LCD TVs I looked at, but are very expensive and seemed to come with some problems after doing research online.

LED is like watching real life. It's almost too good (if there's such a thing). Made the robots look fake when I was watching Transformers, which is suppose to have some of the best CGI to date. It's kinda hard to explain but if you saw it in person, you would know what I mean.

tendonitis

• Getbig V
« Reply #72 on: December 18, 2009, 08:38:40 AM »
If your job is selling televisions for a living it seems you dont know much about them at all....

Which televisions do you recommend? 

MRDUMPLING

• Getbig IV
  • Getbig!
« Reply #73 on: December 18, 2009, 11:55:50 AM »

Buy a Sony or Samsung.

That is pure opinion.

Just like my opinion is that Vizio is the best bang for your buck on the market. 

Are they as high end as Sony, LG, or Sharp?  No, but for the casual gamer or home TV person these TVs are great. 

I think the brands people should stay away from are the really cheap brands like Emerson, Sanyo, etc.

I love my 42" Vizio, and I wouldn't hesitate to buy another one.  I'm actually looking for either a 47" or 50" TV, if I find a great deal on a Sony or LG then I will get those, but I have my eye on a 47" Vizio at the moment.

travisma

• Getbig II
« Reply #74 on: December 18, 2009, 06:23:48 PM »
Which televisions do you recommend? 
Good Question, Considering that in May most brands will be releasing their new 400hz LED displays with Scanning backlight I personally would buy either Philips (Even though they use a OEM, TPV but design their own processor) or maybe the new Sony coming.