Author Topic: Martinez native accused of dressing up as hero & soldier faces Federal Charges.  (Read 572 times)

Soul Crusher

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
  • Doesnt lie about lifting.
Martinez native accused of dressing up as hero (Fake Marine w/ Fake Navy Cross )
SFGate ^ | November 12, 2009 | Henry K. Lee

Posted on Thursday, November 12, 2009 4:18:32 PM by csvset

________________________ ________________________ ___________________

MARTINEZ -- A Martinez high school graduate will appear in federal court today on charges that he masqueraded as a decorated military veteran after being photographed wearing a host of fake medals, including the Navy Cross and the Purple Heart, authorities said.

Steven Douglas Burton, 39, of Palm Springs was charged last week in U.S. District Court in Los Angeles with unauthorized wearing of military medals or decorations, a misdemeanor. Burton has never served in the military, authorities say. They say he works at a bank in Palm Springs.

He is expected to enter a not-guilty plea today in a Riverside courtroom. An attorney for Burton was not immediately available for comment. Burton was caught with the help of Colleen Salonga, a fellow former classmate at Alhambra High School in Martinez who is an actual Navy commander, authorities said. Salonga saw Burton at their 20th high-school reunion last fall wearing the uniform of a lieutenant colonel in the Marine Corps, authorities said.

The uniform displayed the Navy Cross, the Purple Heart and other medals, federal prosecutors said.

Suspicious, Salonga went up to Burton and asked to take a picture with him. She turned over the photo to the FBI, authorities said. Investigators confirmed that Burton "had not been a member of any branch of the military or of any armed force and had not been awarded any such decorations, service medals or badges, including the Navy Cross and the Purple Heart," court papers said. "Mr. Burton was blogging on a Web site and claiming to have done multiple tours of duty in the Middle East, both in Afghanistan and Iraq," Assistant U.S. Attorney Joe Akrotirianakis said today. "He also claimed to have fought in Fallujah."

(Excerpt) Read more at sfgate.com ...

________________________ ________________________ ______________________

HHHMMMMMM   HHHMMMMMMMMM   HHHHMMMMMMMM  ! ! !  ! ! !

The Showstoppa

• Getbig V
  • Call the vet, cause these pythons are sick!
That Commander who busted him is an Alpha Chick all the way !!!!  Good for her.  What a shitbag.....

Soul Crusher

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
That Commander who busted him is an Alpha Chick all the way !!!!  Good for her.  What a shitbag.....

I hope there are more to come if you catch my drift. 

The Showstoppa

• Getbig V
I hope there are more to come if you catch my drift. 

Oh yeah, I sure do and I hope so too.

Soul Crusher

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
Oh yeah, I sure do and I hope so too.

Me to! 

We will root out the fake soldiers!   

The Showstoppa

• Getbig V
Me to! 

We will root out the fake soldiers!   

at one of my former jobs, my supervisor would have me "interview" fomer military guys to get the scoop.  He hadn't served and couldn't tell very easily if they were bs'ing......I really enjoyed it.  You would be shocked at how many "special forces/agent orange" guys applied..... ::)  I wouldn't say anything about serving at first and then let them hang themselves.....idiots.