Author Topic: Sarah Palin: McCain made me pay $500,000 in legal bills for the VP Vetting!  (Read 1688 times)

Soul Crusher

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
  • Doesnt lie about lifting.
, Nov. 12, 2009
Palin: Couric was "Badgering" and Biased
Sarah Palin Writes in Book That There Were Tensions With McCain Aides; Criticizes "Evening News"
During her appearance on "The Oprah Winfrey Show," Sarah Palin spoke about her infamous interview with Katie Couric. "The Oprah Winfrey Show" Monday, November 16.

Sarah Palin, as pictured on the covor of "Going Rogue."  (AP/Harper)

________________________ ______________________

(AP)  The rumors are true, according to Sarah Palin: The McCain-Palin campaign was not a happy family.

In Palin's "Going Rogue," Palin confirms reports of tension between her aides and those of the 2008 Republican presidential candidate, Sen. John McCain. The vice presidential candidate confirms that she had wanted to speak on election night, but was denied the chance and says she was kept "bottled up" from reporters during the campaign.

Palin also writes harshly of CBS anchor Katie Couric, whom she describes as "badgering" and biased. Palin's series of interviews with Couric were widely regarded as disastrous, leaving the impression of an ill-informed candidate who was unsuited for the job.

The 413-page book with 16 pages of color photos but no index comes out Tuesday, Nov. 17. The Associated Press purchased a copy Thursday. "Going Rogue," with a first printing of 1.5 million copies, has been at or near the top of Amazon.com and other best-seller lists for weeks, ever since publisher HarperCollins announced that the book had been completed quickly and the release date was being moved up from next spring.

The book follows Palin from childhood to her departure last summer as Alaska governor. It includes much of what her admirers, and detractors, expected: tributes to family and faith and patriotism, and attacks against the media and other perceived opponents.

She writes about the "jaded aura" of professional campaign aides and how McCain's entourage limited her access to the media, leading to allegations - unfounded, she says - that she was avoiding reporters.

And she says that most of her legal bills were generated defending what she called frivolous ethics complaints, but she reveals that about $500,000 was a bill she received to pay for the McCain campaign vetting her for the VP nod.

She said when she asked the McCain campaign if it would help her financially, she was told McCain's camp would have paid all the bills if he'd won; since he lost, the vetting legal bills were her responsibility.

Written with Lynn Vincent, "Going Rogue" is folksy in tone and homespun. For example, Palin says her efforts to award a license for a massive natural gas transmission line through Alaska was turning a pipe dream into a pipeline. She writes in awe about how the McCain campaign had hired a New York stylist who had also worked on Couric.

Taken aback by all the fussing, she wondered who was paying for the fancy clothes - family members were told it was being taken care of or was "part of the convention."

Palin shares behind-the-scene moments when the nation learned her teen daughter Bristol was pregnant, how she rewrote the statement prepared on her behalf by the McCain campaign - only to watch in horror as a TV news anchor read the original McCain camp statement, which, in Palin's view, glarmorized and endorsed her daughter's situation.

Palin laments that she wasn't allowed to bring up loads of family members to the stage while McCain gave his election night concession speech, the vice presidential candidate having found out minutes earlier that she wouldn't be permitted to give her own speech.

She writes that ABC newsman Charles Gibson, who had an early interview with her, seemed bored by "substantive issues" stemming from her time as governor and that while speaking with her he "peered skeptically" at her over his glasses like a disapproving principal.

She writes at length about Couric. She says that the idea to meet with Couric came from McCain campaign aide Nicolle Wallace, who told Palin that Couric - also a working mother - liked and admired her. It would be a favor to Couric, too, whom Palin notes had the lowest ratings of the network anchors. Wallace said Couric suffered from low self-esteem. And Palin replied that she almost began to "feel sorry" for Couric.

She alleges that Couric and CBS left out her more "substantive" remarks and settled for "gotcha" moments. She writes that Couric had a "partisan agenda" and a condescending manner. Couric was "badgering," biased and far easier on Couric's Democratic counterpart, Joe Biden.

She writes warmly of her childhood and her mother's "nurturing, hospitable" personality. Her priorities were set early - faith (she would read scripture each night before bed), hunting, current events and sports (she even dreamed of being a broadcaster alongside Howard Cosell). She remembers being a voracious reader, favorites including John Steinbeck's "The Pearl" and George Orwell's "Animal Farm." Long before Tina Fey parodied her on "Saturday Night Live," Palin enjoyed watching the show as a girl.

She met her future husband, Todd Palin, in 1982. He was good-looking and mature, like no one she had ever known. He was quiet, gruff, strong, spiritual.

________________________ ________________________ ____________

WWTTFFF????

McCain is truly a POF for this.

OzmO

• Getbig V
  • Drink enough Kool-aid and you'll think its healthy
HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA

They all smell like ducks

Soul Crusher

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA

They all smell like ducks

Come on, this is just wrong. 

OzmO

• Getbig V
  • Drink enough Kool-aid and you'll think its healthy
Come on, this is just wrong. 

The Republican party should pay for it.

Soul Crusher

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
The Republican party should pay for it.

Of course they should.  Now people can understand why she is out making money.  this is totally fucked up.   

240 is Back

• Getbig V
  • Complete website for only $300- www.300website.com
well, she could have used the book to deliver to moderate voters her vision for the restoration of the american economy and return to common sense living.

Instead, we got tabloid trash, media bashing, and lots of blame.  Anyone surprised?

240 is Back

• Getbig V
And she says that most of her legal bills were generated defending what she called frivolous ethics complaints, but she reveals that about $500,000 was a bill she received to pay for the McCain campaign vetting her for the VP nod.

She said when she asked the McCain campaign if it would help her financially, she was told McCain's camp would have paid all the bills if he'd won; since he lost, the vetting legal bills were her responsibility.

She agreed to it.   She didn't have to accept this arrangement, and she did.

She's a grown-up whose Vp selection means she'll never have to work again, even if she lost.  She knew the agreement and took it.  I cant understand feeling sorry for her.

chadstallion

• Getbig IV
well, she could have used the book to deliver to moderate voters her vision for the restoration of the american economy and return to common sense living.

Instead, we got tabloid trash, media bashing, and lots of blame.  Anyone surprised?

tabloid trash, indeed. Speaking of that, when do we get to see Levi nekid?
w

Busted

• Getbig IV
  • PROUD MEMBER OF TEAM MOWER
Why would McCain pay for Law suits she got in her OWN STATE for STATE issues that had NOTHING to do with McCain?

McCain made her a STAR so she needs to STFU

LurkerNoMore

• Getbig V
  • Dumb people think Trump is smart.
She should refuse to pay for the vetting process.  Since apparently they didn't vet her well enough to know that she was an idiot in the first place.

Soul Crusher

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
Re: Sarah Palin: McCain made me pay $500,000 in legal bills for the VP Vetting!
« Reply #10 on: November 13, 2009, 07:00:01 AM »
She should refuse to pay for the vetting process.  Since apparently they didn't vet her well enough to know that she was an idiot in the first place.

::) ::) ::)

Colossus_500

• Getbig IV
  • Psalm 139
« Reply #11 on: November 13, 2009, 07:27:50 AM »
Turns out, it wasn't $500,000 but more like $50,000 for the vetting bill.  Leave it to the AP to be accurate.  ::)   Here they are backtracking already on the bogus $500,000:  http://license.icopyright.net/user/viewFreeUse.act?fuid=NTc4NTA5NQ%3D%3D

And from hotair.com

posted at 7:32 pm on November 12, 2009 by Allahpundit

Thus was the first shot fired in the Great McCain/Palin War of ‘09, my friends. From Sarahcuda’s book, a copy of which is now in the hands of the Associated Press:

She writes about the “jaded aura” of professional campaign aides and how McCain’s entourage limited her access to the media, leading to allegations – unfounded, she says – that she was avoiding reporters.

She said when she asked the McCain campaign if it would help her financially, she was told McCain’s camp would have paid all the bills if he’d won; since he lost, the vetting legal bills were her responsibility.

I’m always suspicious when the media attempts to state her position without quoting her, but assuming that’s accurate, an unnamed McCain staffer will have you know that (a) the bills weren’t for vetting and (b) they couldn’t have paid them if they wanted to.

“That is one hundred percent untrue,” said the McCain official, who would only speak on the condition of anonymity in deference to McCain. “All those bills are from her personal attorney Thomas Van Flein, mostly relating to the Troopergate investigation and other ethics investigations. It is not legal to pay for those investigations out of general election funds, even if the campaign was so inclined.”

Palin spokeswoman Meg Stapleton would not confirm the accuracy of the AP report.

“The book remains embargoed,” Stapleton said in an e-mail to CNN. “The Governor will appear on Oprah first to discuss the book’s contents.”

Election law is so labyrinthine that I’m not even going to try to research this. There’ll be plenty of expert opinion about it on the wires tomorrow, no doubt, although election lawyers are welcome to send in tips if they have a take. In the meantime, a question: Why wouldn’t Team Maverick pick up the tab, assuming it was legal to do so? The RNC was willing to shell out six figures on wardrobe; a few hundred thousand more to bail her out of a campaign-induced legal quagmire doesn’t seem much to ask. If anything, given the tensions between her and some of the campaign’s staffers, you would think they’d be eager to do whatever they could to make her happy after the election to minimize the risk of an ugly McCain vs. Palin/GOP in disarray storyline.

Follow the first link up top for more details from the book. Turns out that, according to Nicolle Wallace, Katie Couric suffers from low self-esteem. Heart-ache.

Update: Another shot fired.

This senior McCain campaign official says they considered the $500,000 bill from Palin’s lawyer to be exorbitant — plus, even if they wanted to, they couldn’t use their general-election funds to pay for it (remember that McCain accepted some $84 million in federal funds for the general election).

“Everyone thought it was ridiculous,” the senior McCain official tells First Read.

Anyone not think the “senior McCain official” is Steve Schmidt?

Update: Here’s why it’s a bad idea to trust the AP. The line in the blockquote above about how “she reveals that about $500,000 was a bill” has now been revised in subsequent versions of the story to read “she reveals that about one-tenth of the $500,000 was a bill”. In other words, the vetting allegedly cost 50 grand, not 500 grand. Which makes it even odder that the campaign didn’t pick up the tab — assuming it was legally entitled to do so.

Update: Sounds like we have a disagreement over what constitutes “vetting.”

It’s not legal for general election matching funds to pay for pre-emptive legal defense; the McCain campaign did not believe it was legal for GELAC funds — a separate account that paid for fundraising complaince — to pay for the investigations either. But vetting is a poor word to choose. The McCain campaign footed the bill for Art Culvahouse’s investigation of Palin before she was elected. Palin was urged by campaign lawyers to set up a legal defense fund to pay for the investigations and ethics complaints that had nothing to do with her presidential bid.

“I can confirm that she was not billed for any vetting costs by the campaign,” said Trevor Potter, the campaign’s general counsel. “I do not know if she was billed by her own lawyer for his assistance to her in the vetting process, but from the excerpt that has been read to me by the AP, it sounds as if that is what she is describing.”

Without a quote from the book itself, it’s impossible to tell how much of a dispute there really is here.

LurkerNoMore

• Getbig V

Colossus_500

• Getbig IV
  • Psalm 139
« Reply #13 on: November 13, 2009, 11:35:09 AM »
John Ziegler: “AP Blows it in Palin Book Analysis”
by John Ziegler
mediaite.com

I have signed a nondisclosure agreement with Harper Collins regarding Sarah Palin’s new book so until it comes out I am limited to discussing only what is currently in the public domain. However, I simply must respond to the Associated Press “report” on Going Rogue.

Even grading on the “Palin Scale” of media bias, the AP’s synopsis is a joke.

Based on how the AP sees the book, you would think that the most significant disclosure is that Palin had to pay back the McCain campaign for part of her vetting because they lost, followed closely by the fact that she felt “badgered” by Katie Couric and didn’t get her way on election night.

In short, the book that the AP supposedly read sounds like it is full of self-serving whining and almost totally lacking in substance. That is not a remotely accurate evaluation of Going Rogue.

First of all, there are far more interesting and important revelations in the book (I have noticed in my own experience with my film “Media Malpractice” that one of the most insidious forms of media bias against conservative projects is to paint them as boring) that the AP has for some reason chosen to totally ignore.

Second of all, Palin’s analysis of what really happened with the now infamous (and totally misunderstood) Couric and Gibson interviews could not be LESS whiny — it is instead full of fact-filled writing that finally provides the full story of what really happened in the way that only a book can do (my documentary, which I am told Palin handed to her collaborator and said “here, this is what happened” could only provide a foundation of understanding that is magnified in much greater detail in Going Rogue).

My greatest regret (and I have many) in the course of making and promoting my documentary of the news coverage of the 2008 election is that I completely underestimated how impossible it is for a conservative (especially one as hated by the news media as Sarah Palin) to correct the historical record about media coverage because it is so easy for the very same media to portray you as whining.

I was naïve. I thought that telling the real truth of what actually happened would be seen as intrinsically valuable and eminently appropriate. Governor Palin instinctively knew different, telling me several times before during and after my interview with her that she was wary of being wrongly perceived in that way, and knew that she would have to thread a very small needle. I wish I had done a better job of combating that totally incorrect perception and perhaps that is why I am so sensitive to the subject when it appears the AP is not so subtly laying the groundwork for a resurrection of that bogus charge.

The bottom line is that the AP is either purposefully or out of their own profound unconscious bias, badly missing the most important points of Sarah Palin’s book. Considering the role the mainstream media played in creating the need for her to write this book in the first place, that should not be a big surprise.

If you are interested in this most amazing of all modern political stories, I urge you to read the book for yourself and not let those who want Palin destroyed to continue to dictate your perceptions of her. Her book may be the only way for you to know the real Sarah Palin. Don’t let the AP read it for you.

Soul Crusher

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
« Reply #14 on: November 13, 2009, 11:39:00 AM »
John Ziegler: “AP Blows it in Palin Book Analysis”
by John Ziegler
mediaite.com

I have signed a nondisclosure agreement with Harper Collins regarding Sarah Palin’s new book so until it comes out I am limited to discussing only what is currently in the public domain. However, I simply must respond to the Associated Press “report” on Going Rogue.

Even grading on the “Palin Scale” of media bias, the AP’s synopsis is a joke.

Based on how the AP sees the book, you would think that the most significant disclosure is that Palin had to pay back the McCain campaign for part of her vetting because they lost, followed closely by the fact that she felt “badgered” by Katie Couric and didn’t get her way on election night.

In short, the book that the AP supposedly read sounds like it is full of self-serving whining and almost totally lacking in substance. That is not a remotely accurate evaluation of Going Rogue.

First of all, there are far more interesting and important revelations in the book (I have noticed in my own experience with my film “Media Malpractice” that one of the most insidious forms of media bias against conservative projects is to paint them as boring) that the AP has for some reason chosen to totally ignore.

Second of all, Palin’s analysis of what really happened with the now infamous (and totally misunderstood) Couric and Gibson interviews could not be LESS whiny — it is instead full of fact-filled writing that finally provides the full story of what really happened in the way that only a book can do (my documentary, which I am told Palin handed to her collaborator and said “here, this is what happened” could only provide a foundation of understanding that is magnified in much greater detail in Going Rogue).

My greatest regret (and I have many) in the course of making and promoting my documentary of the news coverage of the 2008 election is that I completely underestimated how impossible it is for a conservative (especially one as hated by the news media as Sarah Palin) to correct the historical record about media coverage because it is so easy for the very same media to portray you as whining.

I was naïve. I thought that telling the real truth of what actually happened would be seen as intrinsically valuable and eminently appropriate. Governor Palin instinctively knew different, telling me several times before during and after my interview with her that she was wary of being wrongly perceived in that way, and knew that she would have to thread a very small needle. I wish I had done a better job of combating that totally incorrect perception and perhaps that is why I am so sensitive to the subject when it appears the AP is not so subtly laying the groundwork for a resurrection of that bogus charge.

The bottom line is that the AP is either purposefully or out of their own profound unconscious bias, badly missing the most important points of Sarah Palin’s book. Considering the role the mainstream media played in creating the need for her to write this book in the first place, that should not be a big surprise.

If you are interested in this most amazing of all modern political stories, I urge you to read the book for yourself and not let those who want Palin destroyed to continue to dictate your perceptions of her. Her book may be the only way for you to know the real Sarah Palin. Don’t let the AP read it for you.

Exactly - the lunatic left hyperventilates with anything to do with her.   

Don't you think it is ironic how the "men" who attack her are usually the physically weakest among us? 

LurkerNoMore

• Getbig V
« Reply #15 on: November 13, 2009, 11:54:22 AM »
Don't you find it ironic that the "men" who defend and support her are usually the dumbest among us?

Soul Crusher

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
« Reply #16 on: November 13, 2009, 11:59:00 AM »
Don't you find it ironic that the "men" who defend and support her are usually the dumbest among us?

I grauduated college with a 3.96.
I graduated law school with  3.65.
I passed the bar exam in the top .05% of takers on the first time.

How about yourself? 

tu_holmes

• Getbig V
  • Robot
« Reply #17 on: November 13, 2009, 12:23:59 PM »
McCain's camp says it's 100 Percent untrue.

You believe her over McCain and his camp?

Soul Crusher

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
« Reply #18 on: November 13, 2009, 12:25:52 PM »
McCain's camp says it's 100 Percent untrue.

Lets wait and see what the book says.   

tu_holmes

• Getbig V
  • Robot
« Reply #19 on: November 13, 2009, 12:26:46 PM »
Lets wait and see what the book says.   

I believe that is part of why the book release is on hold. Big disagreement between them there.

Also, the AP was mistaken... it was 50 thousand... Not 500.

It has been corrected in AP stories.

LurkerNoMore

• Getbig V
« Reply #20 on: November 13, 2009, 12:29:31 PM »
I grauduated college with a 3.96.
I graduated law school with  3.65.
I passed the bar exam in the top .05% of takers on the first time.

How about yourself? 

And you work as a telemarketer collection agency.  Brilliant.

Academic Scholarship at 17
MHA at 22
Youngest HA ever at Holy Cross at 23
And still smart enough to recognize Palin for the idiot she is.

LurkerNoMore

• Getbig V
« Reply #21 on: November 13, 2009, 12:31:15 PM »

Hell no.

240 is Back

• Getbig V
« Reply #22 on: November 13, 2009, 12:31:36 PM »
an accusation for 50k is still a big deal

Hedgehog

• Getbig V
  • It Rubs The Lotion On Its Skin.
« Reply #23 on: November 13, 2009, 12:33:22 PM »
I watched nailin Paylin last night. Solid hardcore production.
As empty as paradise

Soul Crusher

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
« Reply #24 on: November 13, 2009, 12:34:41 PM »
And you work as a telemarketer collection agency.  Brilliant.

Academic Scholarship at 17
MHA at 22
Youngest HA ever at Holy Cross at 23
And still smart enough to recognize Palin for the idiot she is.

Idiot - I just collected 250k for a client today over 4 complicated construction jobs in NYC that are in bankruptcy via mechanic's liens, surety claims, etc.