Author Topic: UFC and WEC set to merger in 2010.  (Read 983 times)

*ChuteBoxe*

• Getbig IV
UFC and WEC set to merger in 2010.
« on: November 15, 2009, 09:00:19 AM »
Biggest MMA event of the planet, UFC has plans even bigger to 2010. Sources close to WEC informed TATAME.com that the UFC will add new weights categories on the next year, bringing athletes with contract with WEC, that was bought by Zuffa – same organization that commands the UFC – in 2006.

This year, UFC scheduled 20 events – WEC made only eight –, but the bigger amount of athletes would force the organization to make a bigger number of annual shows. According to sources close to the event, Zuffa called all the fighters with contract with WEC in Las Vegas earlier this month, telling about the merger and revealing that they plan three events for month in the future.

With the change, the Brazilians José Aldo, Raphael Assunção, Wagnney Fabiano, Rafael Dias, Marco Galvão, Douglas Lima, Diego Nunes, Frédson Paixão and Rani Yahya would became UFC athletes, joining the team of 22 Brazilian fighters with contract with Ultimate.

On the next Wednesday, WEC 44 will define the featherweight champion on the fight between Mike Brown and José Aldo, what could, joining the events, define who would become the first UFC featherweight champion. Besides that, WEC has two more shows scheduled until January 2010. Stay tuned on TATAME.com for more information about the merger between WEC and UFC.

Predictions
 40/61

Captain Equipoise

• Getbig V
  • back from the dead...
Re: UFC and WEC set to merger in 2010.
« Reply #1 on: November 15, 2009, 10:42:05 AM »
1) I don't get this, doesn't Zuffa/UFC own WEC !?!? what is the point of a merger!? to make it formal/official ?!

2) Making the WEC bigger is a bad move I think, nobody wants to see a bunch of guys that are 5'3 130 run around each other in a cage.. at least with LHW and heavies you get knockouts!

Fury

• Getbig V
  • All aboard the USS Leverage
Re: UFC and WEC set to merger in 2010.
« Reply #2 on: November 16, 2009, 11:00:59 AM »
1) I don't get this, doesn't Zuffa/UFC own WEC !?!? what is the point of a merger!? to make it formal/official ?!

2) Making the WEC bigger is a bad move I think, nobody wants to see a bunch of guys that are 5'3 130 run around each other in a cage.. at least with LHW and heavies you get knockouts!

Just going to lead to more diluted cards that don't interest anyone.