Author Topic: The worst is yet to come: Unemployed Americans should hunker down for more job l  (Read 6048 times)

SAMSON123

• Getbig V
Now the media is starting to admit that the UE in america is over 18 percent. Here from a news paper in NY there is the admittance of a UE of 17.5 percent in america. Chapman, Parks, Celente etc say it is over 20 percent and growing. In any case this report says no new job creation any time soon and MORE JOB LOSSES TO COME.

The worst is yet to come: Unemployed Americans should hunker down for more job losses

BY Nouriel Roubini

Sunday, November 15th 2009, 4:00 AM

Think the worst is over? Wrong. Conditions in the U.S. labor markets are awful and worsening. While the official unemployment rate is already 10.2% and another 200,000 jobs were lost in October, when you include discouraged workers and partially employed workers the figure is a whopping 17.5%.

While losing 200,000 jobs per month is better than the 700,000 jobs lost in January, current job losses still average more than the per month rate of 150,000 during the last recession.

Also, remember: The last recession ended in November 2001, but job losses continued for more than a year and half until June of 2003; ditto for the 1990-91 recession.

So we can expect that job losses will continue until the end of 2010 at the earliest. In other words, if you are unemployed and looking for work and just waiting for the economy to turn the corner, you had better hunker down. All the economic numbers suggest this will take a while. The jobs just are not coming back.

There's really just one hope for our leaders to turn things around: a bold prescription that increases the fiscal stimulus with another round of labor-intensive, shovel-ready infrastructure projects, helps fiscally strapped state and local governments and provides a temporary tax credit to the private sector to hire more workers. Helping the unemployed just by extending unemployment benefits is necessary not sufficient; it leads to persistent unemployment rather than job creation.

The long-term picture for workers and families is even worse than current job loss numbers alone would suggest. Now as a way of sharing the pain, many firms are telling their workers to cut hours, take furloughs and accept lower wages. Specifically, that fall in hours worked is equivalent to another 3 million full time jobs lost on top of the 7.5 million jobs formally lost.

This is very bad news but we must face facts. Many of the lost jobs are gone forever, including construction jobs, finance jobs and manufacturing jobs. Recent studies suggest that a quarter of U.S. jobs are fully out-sourceable over time to other countries.

Other measures tell the same ugly story: The average length of unemployment is at an all time high; the ratio of job applicants to vacancies is 6 to 1; initial claims are down but continued claims are very high and now millions of unemployed are resorting to the exceptional extended unemployment benefits programs and are staying in them longer.

Based on my best judgment, it is most likely that the unemployment rate will peak close to 11% and will remain at a very high level for two years or more.

The weakness in labor markets and the sharp fall in labor income ensure a weak recovery of private consumption and an anemic recovery of the economy, and increases the risk of a double dip recession.

As a result of these terribly weak labor markets, we can expect weak recovery of consumption and economic growth; larger budget deficits; greater delinquencies in residential and commercial real estate and greater fall in home and commercial real estate prices; greater losses for banks and financial institutions on residential and commercial real estate mortgages, and in credit cards, auto loans and student loans and thus a greater rate of failures of banks; and greater protectionist pressures.

The damage will be extensive and severe unless bold policy action is undertaken now.

Roubini is professor of Economics at the Stern School of Business at New York University and Chairman of Roubini Global Economics.

Top economic prognosticator says job seekers

must face grim economic facts

http://www.nydailynews.com/opinions/2009/11/15/2009-11-15_the_worst_is_yet_to_come_unemployed_americans_should_hunker_down_for_more_job_lo.html
C

ToxicAvenger

• Getbig V
  • I thawt I taw a twat!
why do i find your tone here celebratory?
carpe` vaginum!

Bindare_Dundat

• Getbig V
  • KILL CENTRAL BANKS, BUY BITCOIN.
hahaha and of course the answer in ol Roubini's mind is more stimulas.  ::)

SAMSON123

• Getbig V
why do i find your tone here celebratory?

Can you say MISCONSCREWED THOUGHTS....

I posted this for those who want to DENY the obvious...not for me to celebrate. I hope americans begin to come to the realization that THE PARTY IS OVER. If your government and media are reporting 17, 18 and 19 percent UE that means the real figures ARE MUCH HIGHER...higher than even what Chapman, Parks, Celente are reporting. And the thought of job creation when so much of the infrastructure for creating business in america has been dismantled or given over to other corporation and even countries will make starting a new business IMPOSSIBLE...
C

ToxicAvenger

• Getbig V
  • I thawt I taw a twat!
Can you say MISCONSCREWED THOUGHTS....

I posted this for those who want to DENY the obvious...not for me to celebrate. I hope americans begin to come to the realization that THE PARTY IS OVER. If your government and media are reporting 17, 18 and 19 percent UE that means the real figures ARE MUCH HIGHER...higher than even what Chapman, Parks, Celente are reporting. And the thought of job creation when so much of the infrastructure for creating business in america has been dismantled or given over to other corporation and even countries will make starting a new business IMPOSSIBLE...

at our worst we r still one of the best....
and you come across as gloating

ironic...since America gave the world...the internet
carpe` vaginum!

SAMSON123

• Getbig V
at our worst we r still one of the best....
and you come across as gloating

ironic...since America gave the world...the internet

There is no shame in you being WRONG TA...Man Up and accept it rather than continuing to try and worm your way out of it.

BTW France/Switzerland created the internet. It all began at the CERN labratory.
C

ToxicAvenger

• Getbig V
  • I thawt I taw a twat!
There is no shame in you being WRONG TA...Man Up and accept it rather than continuing to try and worm your way out of it.

BTW France/Switzerland created the internet. It all began at the CERN labratory.
my field is doing juuuuust fine
http://www.cisco-tips.com/best-it-certifications-in-2008-ccie-salary/
Ps read the history or ARPA...i kinda teach this stuff
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Internet#History
and here is internet 2..abilene where all the reseatrch and development is done..also in America
http://www.internet2.edu/network/
carpe` vaginum!

ToxicAvenger

• Getbig V
  • I thawt I taw a twat!
PS...CERN deals in particle physics...NOT wide area protocol standards :-*
carpe` vaginum!

headhuntersix

• Getbig V
  • Our forefathers would be shooting by now
Yeah....SAMSON u can gloat all u want..but we'll be here long after u and whatever worthless 3rd world shithole ur from is gone. The net started within the US military douchbag.
L

SAMSON123

• Getbig V
PS...CERN deals in particle physics...NOT wide area protocol standards :-*

A little reading for you to do...Never speak until you know your shit

History of the Web Beginning at CERN
by Cheryl Gribble

The History of Web Development Beginning at CERN (Centre Européen de Recherche Nucléaire) is a short history explaining how Tim Berners-Lee and others brought together the technologies needed to be able to share documents using Web browsers in a multi-platform environment which evolved from those humble beginnings into the World Wide Web as we know it today. A directory of related links about Web development and the history of the Web follows the bibliography.

CERN is now called now the European Organization for Nuclear Research or the Organisation Européenne de Recherche Nucléaire.

Introduction        

Tim Berners-Lee is credited with having created the World Wide Web while he was a researcher at the European High-Energy Particle Physics lab, the Conseil Européenne pour la Recherche Nucleaire ( CERN), in Geneva, Switzerland. A tool was needed to enable collaboration between physicists and other researchers in the high energy physics community.

HyperText and CERN        

Tim Berners-Lee wrote a proposal called HyperText and CERN and circulated his proposal for comments at CERN in 1989. The proposal was the solution to the technologies that would enable collaboration in the high energy physics community. Tim had a background in text processing, communications, and real-time software. The proposal was further refined by Tim Berners-Lee and Robert Cailliau in 1990.

The Proposal        

Berners-Lee's proposal was an extension of the gopher idea but incorporated many new ideas and features. It was also inspired, in part, by the concept of hypertext and some of Ted Nelson's work on Xanadu.
 Three new technologies were incorporated into his proposal. Briefly, they were HTML (HyperText Markup Language) used to write the web documents, HTTP (HyperText Transfer Protocol) to transmit the pages, and a web browser client software program to receive and interpret data and display results. An important concept of his proposal included the fact that the client software program's user interface would be consistent across all types of computer platforms so that users could access information from many types of computers.

User Interface        

A line-mode user interface (named at CERN, the world wide web or www) was completed in late 1989. The interface was used on a minor network in March 1991. May 1991 was the first time that the information-sharing system using HTML, HTTP, and a client software program (www) was fully operational on the multiplatform computer network at the CERN laboratories in Switzerland.

File Availability        

The availability of CERN's files was announced in the UseNET newsgroup, alt.hypertext, in August 1991. This was the first time that the availability of the files was announced to the public.

"Web Server"        

All of the documents coded with HTML elements were stored on one main computer at CERN. This special type of computer was called a "web server" (by the physicists at CERN) because it "served-up" batches of cross-linked HTML documents. There was only one Web server located at CERN, but by the end of 1992 there were over 50 Web servers in the world. Many of these earliest Web servers were located at universities or other research centers. These servers were using line-mode interfaces. By June 1999 there were more than 720,000 public information servers. In April of 2001 there were over 24 million servers (http://www.netcraft.co.uk/survey/).

NCSA Mosaic        

In 1993 Marc Andreesen was an undergraduate student at the University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaigne working on a project for the National Center for Supercomputing Applications ( NCSA) when he led a team that developed the graphic interface browser called Mosaic. The first pre-Beta version of Mosaic was released in February 1993. Version 1.0 of Mosaic was released in September 1993 for the Windows, Macintosh and the X Windows System platforms. Popularity of the graphical user interface (GUI) browser was immediate. People without computer expertise were able to use the graphical interface and just point and click to navigate the World Wide Web. The WWW grew quickly. Marc Andreesen left NCSA in March 1994. He and Jim Clark formed a company later known as Netscape Communication Corporation.

Author's Note:        

Tim Berner's Lee is now the director of the World Wide Web Consortium, W3C.
The World Wide Web: a very short personal history

Demographics & Statistics        

* Matthew Gray's Web Growth Summary
      Wanderer Results, Backbone Results

* Matthew Gray's Report
      June 1993-June 1995

* Netcraft Web Server Survey

* Statistics & Demographics from Yahoo!

Bibliography        

The World Wide Web 1997 Unleashed, Fourth Edition; John December; ©1997 Sams.net Publishing; Indianapolis, IN 46290 (USA)   http://www.mcp.com/

HTML 4.0 User's Resource, William H. Murray, Chris H. Pappas; ©1998, Prentice Hall PTR: Prentice-Hall, Inc.
A Simon & Schuster Co.; Upper Saddle River, N.J. 07458
http://www.phptr.com/

HTML The Definitive Guide, Second Edition; Chuck Musciano and Bill Kennedy; ©O'Reilly Publishers; Cambridge (Published in the United States, March 1998)
http://www.oreilly.com/

Special Edition Using HTML 4, Fourth Edition; Mark Brown and Jerry Honeycutt; ©1998 by Que Corportation
http://www.quecorp.com/

Related Links

ARPA: The Early Days of ARPA, Forerunner of the Internet

The World Wide Web: A very short personal history by Tim Berners-Lee, (written by request)

World Wide Web People (CERN)
This is the W3C list of people that contributed to the World Wide Web project, both at CERN, and after the WWW project became available to the public. This is an archived document from 1994 and is of historical interest.

CERN's Web History
Includes History and Growth

An Overview of the World Wide Web (CERN)

The Original Document of the Proposal
Tim Berners-Lee 1989

IETF Hypertext Transfer Protocol (HTTP) Working Group

A Layman's Guide to the Domain Naming System

A Short History of Internet Protocols at CERN
by Ben Segal, April 1995

Tracert Gateways by State and Backbone Maps
A Little History of the World Wide Web
(page from W3C server)

Biography of Tim Berners-Lee

The World Wide Web: Past, Present and Future
by Tim Berners-Lee, August 1996

The NCSA Mosaic Browser

A Short History of the Web
by Robert Cailliau (notes from his speech launching the European branch of the W3C, 2 November 1995)

D.M. Sendall, of CERN(    -1999)

The History of the Web (Duke.edu)

History of the World Wide Web
by Shahrooz Feizabadi

Article about Douglas Englebart
Douglas Englebart invented the computer mouse in 1965. This article is about Mr. Englebart and the invention of the mouse. (Photo included)

"As We May Think"
by Vannevar Bush, 1945

The History of Computers

C

SAMSON123

• Getbig V
Here is some more for ya

CERN creates a new super-fast internet, invites tons of people to a deathmatch
By Joshua Topolsky posted Apr 7th 2008 10:29AM

Apparently, when CERN isn't colliding particles (and ripping massive holes in the space-time continuum), it's busy working on a new "internet" which will be 10,000 times faster than our current version. The project -- known as "the grid" -- is built atop completely fiber optic networks, and utilizes modern routing centers. By keeping traffic out of our current phone and data systems, the researchers have been able to achieve speeds heretofore unseen on previous networks. The system connects from CERN to 11 centers around the globe, and will be switched on when the Large Hadron Collider is activated, on what the group is calling "Red Button Day." Project heads believe a network with this speed will lead to all sorts of futuristic innovations -- like true cloud computing, holographic video conferencing, and really, really fast pirating of the entire Nightmare on Elm Street series.
C

ToxicAvenger

• Getbig V
  • I thawt I taw a twat!
Tim Berners-Lee

Vannevar Bush first proposed the basics of hypertext in 1945. Tim Berners-Lee invented the World Wide Web, HTML (hypertext markup language), HTTP (HyperText Transfer Protocol) and URLs (Universal Resource Locators) in 1990. Tim Berners-Lee was the primary author of html, assisted by his colleagues at CERN, an international scientific organization based in Geneva, Switzerland.

he's from Oxford...but the majority of the work still took place here for ARPANET

and whats your POINT...again ..its not like CERN is run by a buncha muslims :-\  i dunno what u r so happy about?
carpe` vaginum!