Author Topic: Digital Camera Advices  (Read 2382 times)

emn1964

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
Digital Camera Advices
« on: November 23, 2009, 11:31:56 AM »
I'm about to buy a new digital camera and, since the advices in the flat screen tv thread were helpful, I thought I'd ask you guys.  So, what should I buy?  I need a camera that will take low light pics and one that will capture a little motion (my current camera takes a blurry pic even with the slightest movement).  And, even though I am a multi-millionaire like the rest of you guys, I don't want to spend an arm and a leg.

lovemonkey

• Getbig V
  • Two kinds of people; Those that can extrapolate
Re: Digital Camera Advices
« Reply #1 on: November 23, 2009, 11:34:47 AM »
First off, a compact or a DSLR?
from incomplete data

Captain Equipoise

• Getbig V
  • back from the dead...
« Reply #2 on: November 23, 2009, 11:36:53 AM »
I'm about to buy a new digital camera and, since the advices in the flat screen tv thread were helpful, I thought I'd ask you guys.  So, what should I buy?  I need a camera that will take low light pics and one that will capture a little motion (my current camera takes a blurry pic even with the slightest movement).  And, even though I am a multi-millionaire like the rest of you guys, I don't want to spend an arm and a leg.

Hehehe, touche...

are you looking for a little pocket camera or full on DSLR ??

if you just want a little pocket one, I don't think there's anything that can match the little Canon Elph's
like this:

http://www.bestbuy.com/site/Canon+-+PowerShot+12.1-Megapixel+Digital+ELPH+Camera+-+Black/9230539.p?id=1218063557398&skuId=9230539&st=canon%20elph

these things are ridiculously good, crisp..Canon has the best small camera's you can buy, and the prices are pretty damn good as well,

If you want a full on DSLR I would recommend Nikon, only because I shoot Nikon and for higher end bodies I think they are better then the Canon Rebel's/EOS, but that's personal preference, you can get something nice like a D90x for around a grand.

emn1964

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #3 on: November 23, 2009, 11:44:03 AM »
Looking for a pocket camera, not a DSLR.  thanks for the advices Capt. Eq, I'll look at that one.

Captain Equipoise

• Getbig V
  • back from the dead...
« Reply #4 on: November 23, 2009, 11:48:11 AM »
Looking for a pocket camera, not a DSLR.  thanks for the advices Capt. Eq, I'll look at that one.

To be completely honest, I don't think you can find a better compact/cheap camera, they seriously make some amazing little camera's, the pictures are just stunning, vivid, full of color, contrast...they don't look washed out or grainy like other cheap/compact camera's (samsung, panasonic, kodak, olympus, etc.)

lovemonkey

• Getbig V
« Reply #5 on: November 23, 2009, 11:48:36 AM »

OK, hope you find what you're looking for. In general though DSLR's outperform compacts in all aspects and since you were specifically looking for something shoot with in low light a dslr would be your best bet, but the prize tag and size can of course be huge cons.
from incomplete data

Captain Equipoise

• Getbig V
  • back from the dead...
« Reply #6 on: November 23, 2009, 11:51:32 AM »
OK, hope you find what you're looking for. In general though DSLR's outperform compacts in all aspects and since you were specifically looking for something shoot with in low light a dslr would be your best bet, but the prize tag and size can of course be huge cons.

Not to mention all the extra gear associated with them, grip, extra battery packs, flash, extra lenses, filters, flash diffuser..pretty soon you're carrying a backpack full of gear..

lovemonkey

• Getbig V
« Reply #7 on: November 23, 2009, 11:56:24 AM »
Not to mention all the extra gear associated with them, grip, extra battery packs, flash, extra lenses, filters, flash diffuser..pretty soon you're carrying a backpack full of gear..

LOL tell me about it!! I try to leave as much gear as possible back home so I don't have to carry around that shit with me. I try to keep it simple with my dlsr+grip, flash, 17-55mm/2,8 and my 80-200/2,8. I used to carry all the lenses and crap with me but you usually end up never using it.
from incomplete data

emn1964

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #8 on: November 23, 2009, 11:58:33 AM »

yeah, that's way too complicated for me.  really looking for simplicity but that takes a quality picture.

Captain Equipoise

• Getbig V
  • back from the dead...
« Reply #9 on: November 23, 2009, 11:59:50 AM »
LOL tell me about it!! I try to leave as much gear as possible back home so I don't have to carry around that shit with me. I try to keep it simple with my dlsr+grip, flash, 17-55mm/2,8 and my 80-200/2,8. I used to carry all the lenses and crap with me but you usually end up never using it.

All you really need in a good kit... also maybe a good prime/macro lens :D but that's if you're hardcore.

Princess L

• Getbig V
  • I stop for turtles
« Reply #10 on: November 28, 2009, 02:52:54 PM »
:

BayGBM

• Getbig V
« Reply #11 on: November 28, 2009, 02:57:49 PM »

If you want real advice on digital cameras I suggest you peruse the database and reviews here
http://www.dpreview.com/reviews/specs.asp
http://www.dpreview.com/reviews/

This site has detailed information on all current cameras for sale as well as many used/discontinued models.

lovemonkey

• Getbig V
« Reply #12 on: November 28, 2009, 03:02:41 PM »
If you want real advice on digital cameras I suggest you peruse the database and reviews here
http://www.dpreview.com/reviews/specs.asp
http://www.dpreview.com/reviews/

This site has detailed information on all current cameras for sale as well as many used/discontinued models.

Jesus christ dpreview. That site is filled with pixel-peeping nerds. There is some solid information on that website but don't get too caught up in the technicalities.
from incomplete data

Fatpanda

• Getbig V
  • One getbigger to rule them all.
« Reply #13 on: November 28, 2009, 03:03:59 PM »

why not get a decent mobile on contract  ;)

i have a samsung omnia i8910 - it takes hd movies and 8m pics.  8)
175lbs by 31st July

Mr Nobody

• Getbig V
  • Falcon gives us new knowledge every single day.
« Reply #14 on: November 28, 2009, 03:44:46 PM »
I would buy the Polaroid ;D

HTexan

• Getbig V
  • Heath must lose!!
PowerShot S90?
« Reply #15 on: November 29, 2009, 08:02:21 AM »
What do you guys think of the PowerShot S90? It seems like a sweet P&S cam.

bbing related, which would make a bber like better? ;D
A

240 is Back

• Getbig V
  • Complete website for only $300- www.300website.com
Re: PowerShot S90?
« Reply #16 on: November 29, 2009, 08:02:51 AM »
v

HTexan

• Getbig V
  • Heath must lose!!
« Reply #17 on: November 29, 2009, 12:05:55 PM »
i got a sx10 is, that thing is bulky. I thinking about buying the s90 or Panasonic Lumix DMC-LX3.
A

stuntmovie

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #18 on: November 29, 2009, 12:18:42 PM »
Some great advice here but when you decide on the camera you want, go to Cnet.com and let that site find you your best deal.