Poll

Should there be a standard for voting rights?

No, let all Americans vote no matter how stupid
6 (31.6%)
Yes, It should be required that there be a basic understanding of the issues and US government/history before voting  
9 (47.4%)
Other:  Post your opinion if no option fits your opinion.
4 (21.1%)

Total Members Voted: 1

Author Topic: should total idiots be allowed to vote?  (Read 3852 times)

BodyProSite

• Getbig IV
Re: should total idiots be allowed to vote?
« Reply #25 on: November 26, 2009, 01:43:51 PM »
maybe there should be a short 20 problem test before you can vote based on American polotics and American history, and if you fail you cant vote!!!!  then it doent matter how much acorn pays you

BodyProSite

• Getbig IV
« Reply #26 on: November 26, 2009, 01:45:54 PM »
but i am sure the people who failed would cry racism or sexism or some kinda religous excuse would be givin, and enough people would cry that it would be deemed unfair to a certain group and done away with

Straw Man

• Getbig V
  • one dwells in nirvana
« Reply #27 on: November 26, 2009, 02:05:21 PM »
Your right ACORN didnt tell them how to vote, they just paid them money to vote a certain way, hmmm and where does ACORN get its money from ?  Oh yea the hard working tax paying citizens of America.

do you have any proof that ACORN paid people to "vote a certain way"

when you write that Acorn gets money from hard working tax paying citizens of America what are you referring to?

BodyProSite

• Getbig IV
« Reply #28 on: November 26, 2009, 02:10:37 PM »
yes it was proven in in court in 14 states in America that acorn paid people to vote dem, look it up  and if you don't know what i am referring to then i don't know what to tell you straw, except that i am not really surprised!!

Straw Man

• Getbig V
  • one dwells in nirvana
« Reply #29 on: November 26, 2009, 02:14:29 PM »
yes it was proven in in court in 14 states in America that acorn paid people to vote dem, look it up  and if you don't know what i am referring to then i don't know what to tell you straw, except that i am not really surprised!!

you're the one making the claim so why don't you post a link rather than telling me to go find it

you didn't answer my second question which was for clarication of your statement that "ACORN gets its money from hard working tax paying citizens."   What is the mechanism by which this happens?

Benny B

• Time Out
  • Getbig V
  • Ron = 'Princess L' & many other gimmicks - FACT!
« Reply #30 on: November 26, 2009, 02:25:09 PM »
evidence, please
!

Benny B

• Time Out
  • Getbig V
« Reply #31 on: November 26, 2009, 02:26:59 PM »
One word 240          ( ACORN)  it has been proven in 14 states
Why are you so obesssed with such a small organization like ACORN, BPS? How many hours per week do you spend watching FIXED FOX News?
!

sync pulse

• Getbig V
  • Only be sure always to call it please, 'research'
« Reply #32 on: November 26, 2009, 04:27:51 PM »
Should it be required that there be a basic understanding of the issues and US government/history before voting?

I have no problem with the concept of a discerning individual in judgement of potential voters...so long as I am the discerning individual...

blacken700

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #33 on: November 26, 2009, 04:53:03 PM »
Neither ACORN nor its employees have been found guilty of, or even charged with, casting fraudulent votes.  "voter fraud" is actually voter registration fraud. Several ACORN canvassers have been found guilty of faking registration forms and others are being investigated. But the evidence that has surfaced so far shows they faked forms to get paid for work they didn’t do, not to stuff ballot boxes.

Hugo Chavez

• Getbig V
« Reply #34 on: November 26, 2009, 04:58:39 PM »
interesting point... should any person getting a govt handout be able to influence elections?

I mean, Obama doens't SAY it... but everyone knows it... repubs will cut the handouts in a major way.  I heard on Rush today that Obama/holder over-rode a local vote to keep party affil off of the ballt on a NC district - would hurt voters there who are strong dem voters.

Essentially, you vote DEM, you vote handout.  Should ppl getting handouts be able to vote?

Although mccain promising to keep bush tax cuts is the same thing, for rich ppl./
I guess we know how bailed out ceo's will vote :D

MM2K

• Getbig IV
« Reply #35 on: November 26, 2009, 10:39:41 PM »
Here is the law I would make. If you are currently a serviceman and are atleast age 18 and you can provide a legitimate i.id. then you can vote no matter what. But, if you are not a serviceman, then you have to be atleast age 21, you have to pay atleast 5% of your income in federal taxes, and you have to have voted in the previous off year election unless you were too young to vote in it. (You dont have to actually vote for anyone but there has to be a record of you atleast showing up at the voting booth.) And ofcourse you have to be able to show a legitimate i.d.
Jan. Jobs: 36,000!!

Hedgehog

• Getbig V
  • It Rubs The Lotion On Its Skin.
« Reply #36 on: November 26, 2009, 11:37:51 PM »
Let's just say that hypothetically speaking there were criterias barring people from voting.

anyone would take a stab at what kind of riots that could lead to?

You discuss exclusion. I don't think that is the problem for democracy at all. The problem comes when there is low participation. Both in voting and in general.
Why not instead do the opposite. Like they do in Belgium. Slap people with a  fine if they don't vote in the presidential election. Belgium has over 90 percent participation.
As empty as paradise

Hugo Chavez

• Getbig V
« Reply #37 on: November 27, 2009, 12:22:28 AM »
Here is the law I would make. If you are currently a serviceman and are atleast age 18 and you can provide a legitimate i.id. then you can vote no matter what. But, if you are not a serviceman, then you have to be atleast age 21, you have to pay atleast 5% of your income in federal taxes, and you have to have voted in the previous off year election unless you were too young to vote in it. (You dont have to actually vote for anyone but there has to be a record of you atleast showing up at the voting booth.) And ofcourse you have to be able to show a legitimate i.d.
do you have a guesstimate of how many people this would keep from voting?

Skip8282

• Getbig V
« Reply #38 on: November 27, 2009, 07:07:20 AM »
Isn't this what the electoral college was "theoretically" supposed to protect from, lol?

I don't think there is any practical way to administer an intelligence test.  I think the questions would be endlessly subjected to claims of bias, etc. 

Benny B

• Time Out
  • Getbig V
« Reply #39 on: November 27, 2009, 07:08:45 AM »
Isn't this what the electoral college was "theoretically" supposed to protect from, lol?

I don't think there is any practical way to administer an intelligence test.  I think the questions would be endlessly subjected to claims of bias, etc. 
Hugo clearly did not think this through...
!

Soul Crusher

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
  • Doesnt lie about lifting.
« Reply #40 on: November 27, 2009, 07:09:56 AM »

We have a test for people to become citizens that is more grueling than most people can pass no?   

Skip8282

• Getbig V
« Reply #41 on: November 27, 2009, 07:51:30 AM »
First, the citizenship test does not test intellect.  It tests mostly knowledge of history, English, and US government.

Second, I've heard a lot of criticism surrounding the fairness of the test given that many natural born citizens can't even pass it as well as what language it should be given in.

Third, you're talking how many thousands vs how many tens of millions?

And what's going to constitute a "non-idiot"? 

If a business issue is on the table for an election, how much knowledge do I have to have about the mortgage crisis?

How we fight Afghanistan is extremely important.  So does somebody have to understand military logistics not to be considered an idiot?

I think you see where I'm going and I just don't think it's reasonably practical to administer such a test.

Soul Crusher

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
  • Doesnt lie about lifting.
« Reply #42 on: November 27, 2009, 07:55:17 AM »
First, the citizenship test does not test intellect.  It tests mostly knowledge of history, English, and US government.

Second, I've heard a lot of criticism surrounding the fairness of the test given that many natural born citizens can't even pass it as well as what language it should be given in.

Third, you're talking how many thousands vs how many tens of millions?

And what's going to constitute a "non-idiot"? 

If a business issue is on the table for an election, how much knowledge do I have to have about the mortgage crisis?

How we fight Afghanistan is extremely important.  So does somebody have to understand military logistics not to be considered an idiot?

I think you see where I'm going and I just don't think it's reasonably practical to administer such a test.

Skip, I am well aware of that, and all this hope of a better educated voter is just wishfult hinking on our part.   

Hugo Chavez

• Getbig V
« Reply #43 on: November 27, 2009, 07:49:15 PM »

the reality of this ever happening is a joke, but in light of seeing countless videos of some of the dumbest people ever voting, I wanted to see what people felt personally just for the hell of it.

MM2K

• Getbig IV
« Reply #44 on: November 27, 2009, 07:50:50 PM »
do you have a guesstimate of how many people this would keep from voting?

Hopefully a lot.
Jan. Jobs: 36,000!!

Hugo Chavez

• Getbig V
« Reply #45 on: November 27, 2009, 07:52:01 PM »
Hugo clearly did not think this through...
didn't think what through?  The point of the poll was to get a feel for what others think.  I wouldn't be for something like this, even if I think it's insane so many people go into vote with absolutely no clue.

Benny B

• Time Out
  • Getbig V
« Reply #46 on: November 27, 2009, 07:54:12 PM »
if you can pay taxes...You should be allowed to vote... 8)
Period, end of story.
!

Hugo Chavez

• Getbig V
« Reply #47 on: November 27, 2009, 07:58:38 PM »
When I started the poll, I had something very basic in mind, like a small number of very basic questions.  I mean you see people on the street being asked something like this:  "What Party is Republican John McCain a member of" and you actually will see them fumble and say they don't know.  WOW...  Or you don't know who they picked as a running mate and you're going to vote?  LOL....  Nothing in this thread could be implemented so it's just a way to bitch about it and see what people think.

Hugo Chavez

• Getbig V
« Reply #48 on: November 27, 2009, 08:04:43 PM »
with a lot of these people, it's not that they're to supid to vote, it's probably that they haven't even given the election basics 5 minutes of their time.

OzmO

• Getbig V
  • Drink enough Kool-aid and you'll think its healthy
« Reply #49 on: November 27, 2009, 09:56:08 PM »
Another question might be:  Should people who don't speak passible english be allowed to vote?