Author Topic: Wisdom & wisecracks by Alan Aragon  (Read 5239 times)

wavelength

• Getbig V
  • ~~~
Wisdom & wisecracks by Alan Aragon
« on: November 26, 2009, 11:10:40 PM »
http://www.alanaragonblog.com/2009/11/22/wisdom-wisecracks/

some excerpts:

- The majority of health nuts will spend $100’s a month on useless supplements, but won’t spend a dime on actually educating themselves on the facts about the body.

- Many folks into fitness & bodybuilding have this unproductive tendency to think in black & white extremes. They’ll scapegoat certain foods, while glorifying the magic bullets. They rarely see the integration of the various components that comprise the big picture.

- Fad diets and fad diet practices should be avoided (and laughed at). Carbs will send you to hell. Sugar is worse for you than cocaine. Fat is no longer the bad guy, so now it’s time to drink a pint of fish oil after every meal. Protein is your savior, eat as much of it as you can. If it’s isolated from food and put in a pill, it’s GOTTA be better for bodybuilding. C’mon now. A mix of patience and realistic progress expectations is the best cure for the compulsion to adopt fad practices or try fad diets.

- The first law of nutrient timing is: hitting your daily macronutrient targets is FAR more important than nutrient timing.

- The fitness & nutrition world is a breeding ground for obsessive-compulsive behavior. The irony is that many things people worry about simply have no impact on results either way, and therefore aren’t worth an ounce of concern.

- Mother Nature winces every time a yolk hits the waste basket.

- If you have to chew it, it ain’t anabolic. [/sarcasm about postworkout nutrition]

- Avoid food avoidance.

Stark

• Getbig V
Re: Wisdom & wisecracks by Alan Aragon
« Reply #1 on: November 27, 2009, 02:16:02 AM »

kekeke

johnnynoname

• Getbig V
  • i have a face like a shovel
« Reply #2 on: November 27, 2009, 02:27:30 AM »

some excerpts:

- The majority of health nuts will spend $100’s a month on useless supplements, but won’t spend a dime on actually educating themselves on the facts about the body.

- Many folks into fitness & bodybuilding have this unproductive tendency to think in black & white extremes. They’ll scapegoat certain foods, while glorifying the magic bullets. They rarely see the integration of the various components that comprise the big picture.

- Fad diets and fad diet practices should be avoided (and laughed at). Carbs will send you to hell. Sugar is worse for you than cocaine. Fat is no longer the bad guy, so now it’s time to drink a pint of fish oil after every meal. Protein is your savior, eat as much of it as you can. If it’s isolated from food and put in a pill, it’s GOTTA be better for bodybuilding. C’mon now. A mix of patience and realistic progress expectations is the best cure for the compulsion to adopt fad practices or try fad diets.

- The first law of nutrient timing is: hitting your daily macronutrient targets is FAR more important than nutrient timing.

- The fitness & nutrition world is a breeding ground for obsessive-compulsive behavior. The irony is that many things people worry about simply have no impact on results either way, and therefore aren’t worth an ounce of concern.

- If you have to chew it, it ain’t anabolic. [/sarcasm about postworkout nutrition]

- Avoid food avoidance.

while this is all very true, fact of the matter is that Bill Phillips is a millionaire who fucks super models and Alan Aragon isn't

Bill Phillips would ask Alan "Sir, what do you do for a living?"

wavelength

• Getbig V
  • ~~~
« Reply #3 on: November 27, 2009, 02:52:38 AM »
while this is all very true, fact of the matter is that Bill Phillips is a millionaire who fucks super models and Alan Aragon isn't

Funny, I actually asked him about that. He seems to be dedicated to the truth, has declined all offers from supplement companies.

webcake

• Getbig V
  • Not now chief...
« Reply #4 on: November 27, 2009, 02:54:29 AM »
Good thing i follow the wavelength dieting approach.
No doubt about it...

wavelength

• Getbig V
  • ~~~
« Reply #5 on: November 27, 2009, 02:55:49 AM »
Good thing i follow the wavelength dieting approach.

So do you look like a schoolgirl with abs yet? ;D

webcake

• Getbig V
  • Not now chief...
« Reply #6 on: November 27, 2009, 02:57:02 AM »
No, but i am trying  ;D

Getting leaner, but still a ways to go. around 92kg right now.
No doubt about it...

WillGrant

• Getbig V
  • Ron is Watching
« Reply #7 on: November 27, 2009, 03:08:55 AM »
No, but i am trying  ;D

Getting leaner, but still a ways to go. around 92kg right now.
How heavy were you in the pics you posted in the picture area?

webcake

• Getbig V
  • Not now chief...
« Reply #8 on: November 27, 2009, 03:16:32 AM »
Not too sure. I think after i finished dieting like ages ago i was around 82kg. I was around 102kg when i started. The dieting wasn't very succesful, got leaner, but totally overdid it and was obviously losing just as much muscle. Still, a good learning experience anyway. I got to about 100kg this time round, and while i obviously wasn't lean, i wasn't as fat as i thought i would be.  ;D
No doubt about it...

jprc10

• Getbig III
« Reply #9 on: November 27, 2009, 06:02:30 AM »
Absolutely great post wavelenght, Aragorn is a really open minded guy, I like it.

HTexan

• Getbig V
  • Heath must lose!!
« Reply #10 on: November 27, 2009, 06:24:27 AM »
i blame the empty calories.  >:( >:(
A

dr.chimps

• Getbig V
  • Chimpus ergo sum
« Reply #11 on: November 27, 2009, 07:40:58 AM »
Me too. And while you're up, get me a fresh one, will ya? Thanks.   

Fatpanda

• Getbig V
  • One getbigger to rule them all.
« Reply #12 on: November 27, 2009, 08:05:56 AM »

some excerpts:

i feel this is slightly misleading - it may be more important, but his statement to me is minimalising the effects of pre/post workout nutrition - which IMO is very important for maximising the muscle building effects of the workout.

alan himself has quoted the study done by cribb, regarding creatine+whey immediately before a nighttime workout vs creatine+whey first thing in the morning with a nighttime workout. the result of which was fantastic gains for the pre workout group, despite both groups eating the same calories over the course of the day.

on a side note i got all his research reviews  8)
175lbs by 31st July

wavelength

• Getbig V
  • ~~~
« Reply #13 on: November 27, 2009, 08:19:24 AM »
i feel this is slightly misleading - it may be more important, but his statement to me is minimalising the effects of pre/post workout nutrition - which IMO is very important for maximising the muscle building effects of the workout.

alan himself has quoted the study done by cribb, regarding creatine+whey immediately before a nighttime workout vs creatine+whey first thing in the morning with a nighttime workout. the result of which was fantastic gains for the pre workout group, despite both groups eating the same calories over the course of the day.

on a side note i got all his research reviews  8)

wow you are determined, have you also read them all?

wavelength

• Getbig V
  • ~~~
« Reply #14 on: November 27, 2009, 08:21:49 AM »

haha I love this term

Devon97

• Getbig V
  • Keith lives on...
« Reply #15 on: November 27, 2009, 09:34:30 AM »

Priceless ;D

Fatpanda

• Getbig V
« Reply #16 on: November 27, 2009, 09:41:37 AM »
wow you are determined, have you also read them all?

i wish, i have partially read some studies in each monthly review - the ones that jumped out at me as being interesting.

its good stuff though. a good bargin too. i got every monthly issue since jan 08, till oct 09 for $10  :o

it would be a greater read if you could ask him to review specific papers and give his thoughts on each.

i would love to hear his thoughts on that more recent protein absorption paper that shows we can only absorb something like 3-10g of protein an hour depending on the protein source - blowing his/everyone else's overall daily macronutrient recommendations out of the water.

personally i can't believe what the paper says as it would mean i would only have to eat/drink 35g of casein every 10 hours to have maximum protein absorption, while any more would be oxidised  ???
175lbs by 31st July

wavelength

• Getbig V
  • ~~~
« Reply #17 on: November 27, 2009, 10:29:23 AM »
i wish, i have partially read some studies in each monthly review - the ones that jumped out at me as being interesting.

its good stuff though. a good bargin too. i got every monthly issue since jan 08, till oct 09 for $10  :o

it would be a greater read if you could ask him to review specific papers and give his thoughts on each.

i would love to hear his thoughts on that more recent protein absorption paper that shows we can only absorb something like 3-10g of protein an hour depending on the protein source - blowing his/everyone else's overall daily macronutrient recommendations out of the water.

personally i can't believe what the paper says as it would mean i would only have to eat/drink 35g of casein every 10 hours to have maximum protein absorption, while any more would be oxidised  ???

I think I've heard of that, any reference to the paper?

Fatpanda

• Getbig V
« Reply #18 on: November 27, 2009, 03:17:56 PM »
I think I've heard of that, any reference to the paper?

actually i was wrong about casein - its 6-7 g an hour. Its milk protein that digests at 3.5g a hour.

here its: (i dont have thefull text though - wish i did  :(  )

A Review of Issues of Dietary Protein Intake in Humans

Considerable debate has taken place over the safety and validity of increased protein intakes for both weight control and muscle synthesis. The advice to consume diets high in protein by some health professionals, media and popular diet books is given despite a lack of scientific data on the safety of increasing protein consumption. The key issues are the rate at which the gastrointestinal tract can absorb amino acids from dietary proteins (1.3 to 10 g/h) and the liver's capacity to deaminate proteins and produce urea for excretion of excess nitrogen. The accepted level of protein requirement of 0.8g ∙ kg-1 ∙ d-1 is based on structural requirements and ignores the use of protein for energy metabolism. High protein diets on the other hand advocate excessive levels of protein intake on the order of 200 to 400 g/d, which can equate to levels of approximately 5 g ∙ kg-1 ∙ d-1, which may exceed the liver?s capacity to convert excess nitrogen to urea. Dangers of excessive protein, defined as when protein constitutes > 35% of total energy intake, include hyperaminoacidemia, hyperammonemia, hyperinsulinemia nausea, diarrhea, and even death (the ?rabbit starvation syndrome?). The three different measures of defining protein intake, which should be viewed together are: absolute intake (g/d), intake related to body weight (g ∙ kg-1 ∙ d-1) and intake as a fraction of total energy (percent energy). A suggested maximum protein intake based on bodily needs, weight control evidence, and avoiding protein toxicity would be approximately of 25% of energy requirements at approximately 2 to 2.5 g ∙ kg-1 ∙ d-1, corresponding to 176 g protein per day for an 80 kg individual on a 12,000kJ/d diet. This is well below the theoretical maximum safe intake range for an 80 kg person (285 to 365 g/d).

Amino acid catabolism must occur in a way that does not elevate blood ammonia (26). Catabolism of amino acids occurs in the liver, which contains the urea cycle (26), however the rate of conversion of amino acid derived ammonia to urea is limited. Rudman et al. (27)

Early findings suggest that rapidly absorbed proteins such as free amino acids and WP, transiently and moderately inhibit protein breakdown (39, 53), yet stimulate protein synthesis by 68% [using nonoxidative leucine disposal (NOLD) as an index of protein synthesis] (54). Casein protein has been shown to inhibit protein breakdown by 30% for a 7-h postprandial period, and only slightly increase protein synthesis (38, 54). Rapidly absorbed amino acids despite stimulating greater protein synthesis, also stimulate greater amino acid oxidation, and hence results in a lower net protein gain, than slowly absorbed protein (54). Leucine balance, a measurable endpoint for protein balance, is indicated in Figure 1, which shows slowly absorbed amino acids (~ 6 to 7 g/h), such as CAS and 2.3 g of WP repeatedly taken orally every 20 min (RPT-WP), provide significantly better protein balance than rapidly absorbed amino acids (39, 54).

The misconception in the fitness and sports industries is that rapidly absorbed protein, such as WP and AA promote better protein anabolism. As the graph shows, slowly absorbed protein such as CAS and small amounts of WP (RPT-WP) provide four and nine times more protein synthesis than WP.

This "slow" and "fast" protein concept provides some clearer evidence that although human physiology may allow for rapid and increased absorption rate of amino acids, as in the case of WP (8 to 10 g/h), this fast absorption is not strongly correlated with a ?maximal protein balance,? as incorrectly interpreted by fitness enthusiasts, athletes, and bodybuilders.

Using the findings of amino acid absorption rates shown in Table 2 (using leucine balance as a measurable endpoint for protein balance), a maximal amino acid intake measured by the inhibition of proteolysis and increase in postprandial protein gain, may only be ~ 6 to 7 g/h (as described by RPT-WP, and casein) (38), which corresponds to a maximal protein intake of 144 to 168 g/d.

The rate of amino acid absorption from protein is quite slow (~ 5 to 8 g/h, from Table 2) when compared to that of other macronutrients, with fatty acids at ~ 0.175 g ? kg-1 ? h-1 (~ 14 g/h) (55) and glucose 60 to 100 g/h (0.8 to 1.2 g carbohydrate ? kg-1 ? h-1) for an 80 kg individual (56). From our earlier calculations elucidating the maximal amounts of protein intake from MRUS, an 80 kg subject could theoretically tolerate up to 301 to 365 g of protein per day, but this would require an absorption rate of 12.5 to 15 g/h, an unlikely level given the results of the studies reported above.

The consumption of large amounts of protein by athletes and bodybuilders is not a new practice (13). Recent evidence suggests that increased protein intakes for endurance and strength-trained athletes can increase strength and recovery from exercise (14, 80, 81). In healthy adult men consuming small frequent meals providing protein at 2.5 g ? kg-1 ? d-1, there was a decreased protein breakdown, and increased protein synthesis of up to 63%, compared with intakes of 1g ? kg-1 ? d-1 (16). Subjects receiving 1g ? kg-1 ? d-1 underwent muscle protein breakdown with less evident changes in muscle protein synthesis. Some evidence suggests, however, that a high protein diet increases leucine oxidation (82, 83), while other data demonstrate that the slower digestion rate of protein (38, 54), and the timing of protein ingestion (with resistance training) (84) promote muscle protein synthesis.

Absorption rates of amino acids from the gut can vary from 1.4 g/h for raw egg white to 8 to 10 g/h for whey protein isolate. Slowly absorbed amino acids such as casein (~ 6 g/h) and repeated small doses of whey protein (2.9 g per 20 min, totaling ~ 7 g/h) promote leucine balance, a marker of protein balance, superior to that of a single dose of 30 g of whey protein or free amino acids which are both rapidly absorbed (8 to 10 g/h), and enhance amino acid oxidation. This gives us an initial understanding that although higher protein intakes are physiologically possible, and tolerable by the human body, they may not be functionally optimal in terms of building and preserving body protein. The general, although incorrect consensus among athletes and bodybuilders, is that rapid protein absorption corresponds to greater muscle building.

From the limited data available on amino acid absorption rates, and the physiological parameters of urea synthesis, the maximal safe protein intakes for humans have been estimated at ~ 285 g/d for an 80 kg male. It is not the intention of this article, however, to promote the consumption of large amounts of protein, but rather to prompt an investigation into what are the parameters of human amino acid kinetics. In the face of the rising tide of obesity in the Western world where energy consumption overrides energy expenditure, a more prudent and practical approach, which may still provide favorable outcomes, is a 25% protein energy diet, which would provide 118 g protein on an 8000 kJ/d diet at 1.5 g ? kg-1 ? d-1 for an 80 kg individual (Table 2).

Little data exists on the comprehensive metabolic effects of large amounts of dietary protein in the order of 300 to 400 g/d. Intakes of this magnitude would result in some degree of prolonged hyperaminoacidemia, hyperammonemia, hyperinsulinemia, and hyperglucagonemia, and some conversion to fat, but the metabolic and physiological consequences of such states are currently unknown. The upper limit of protein intake is widely debated, with many experts advocating levels up to 2.0 g ? kg-1 ? d-1 being quite safe (102, 117, 118) and that renal considerations are not an issue at this level in individuals with normal renal function.
175lbs by 31st July

wavelength

• Getbig V
  • ~~~
« Reply #19 on: November 28, 2009, 03:00:20 AM »
thanks, most bodybuilders should already be dead ;D

Fatpanda

• Getbig V
« Reply #20 on: November 28, 2009, 08:22:42 AM »