Author Topic: Who here is training one muscle group a day?  (Read 4922 times)

Stark

• Getbig V
Who here is training one muscle group a day?
« on: November 27, 2009, 02:00:45 AM »
I have 1h in the morning for my workout - tight schedule - have to bring my wife to work etc.
So I started working out only one muscle group a day which I switch around every week just as I feel like it.

I kinda like it a lot makes me concentrate on one muscle group only and takes around 30 which leaves me with another 30 min cardio.

Anybody else has done that?

Mars

• Time Out
  • Getbig V
Re: Who here is training one muscle group a day?
« Reply #1 on: November 27, 2009, 02:06:32 AM »
yes especially legs, if i train them hard i dont feel like doing another muscle group after.

Stark

• Getbig V
« Reply #2 on: November 27, 2009, 02:11:31 AM »
yes especially legs, if i train them hard i dont feel like doing another muscle group after.

Back a year ago when I was training in the evening and had more time I would do legs and abs in one day.

But I say it again I realy like to train one muslce groupd a day - and it works out.

Monday: Chest
Thuesday: Shoulders
Wednesday: Arms/Triceps
Thursday: Back
Friday: Legs

Take the weekend off

Mars

• Time Out
  • Getbig V
« Reply #3 on: November 27, 2009, 02:28:19 AM »
there are times i dont train a certain bodypart at all.

HTexan

• Getbig V
  • Heath must lose!!
« Reply #4 on: November 27, 2009, 02:49:18 AM »
Imo you can train 2 parts in 30 mins.
A

kyomu

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
  • トホカミエミタメ ハラヒタマヒ キヨメタマフ
« Reply #5 on: November 27, 2009, 02:51:04 AM »
Yes.
The people who can combine legs with another bodyparts train legs like a pussy.

webcake

• Getbig V
  • Not now chief...
« Reply #6 on: November 27, 2009, 02:56:09 AM »
Right now, no. Training 3 times a week. Push/legs/pull. One of the best splits out there i reckon.
No doubt about it...

jwb

• Getbig V
« Reply #7 on: November 27, 2009, 03:01:59 AM »
Right now, no. Training 3 times a week. Push/legs/pull. One of the best splits out there i reckon.
good split if you have shoulder problems since the external rotators only get a once a week hammering on push day... did this one for several years.

sometimes now I just go down to the gym in my building and do a single exercise and then leave... 6-8 sets at various reps.

kyomu

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
  • トホカミエミタメ ハラヒタマヒ キヨメタマフ
« Reply #8 on: November 27, 2009, 03:15:16 AM »
Thats good.
When I cant concentrate on bbing because of job,etc, I do that.
When I am even more busy, I train only two days Upper body/Lower body.

Mars

• Time Out
  • Getbig V
« Reply #9 on: November 27, 2009, 03:22:44 AM »
Yes.
The people who can combine legs with another bodyparts train legs like a pussy.

but on the other hand, now that i dont train legs that intense anymore. no drop and pump sets(these workouts used to give me a week soreness in the legs, which made me exhausted as hell)
its look like i get better results, i try to keep it heavy but not much sets and excersizes.
sometimes i wonder if you do need to train so intense when ur a natural.

Stark

• Getbig V
« Reply #10 on: November 27, 2009, 03:28:57 AM »
but on the other hand, now that i dont train legs that intense anymore. no drop and pump sets(these workouts used to give me a week soreness in the legs, which made me exhausted as hell)
its look like i get better results, i try to keep it heavy but not much sets and excersizes.

Its not only that what annoys me is the fact that if I train legs until I "puke" - you are so sore for the rest of the week that I cannot walk anywhere - and I love to hike.

In general if you roid and you want to have a Bodybuilding physque yes train legs hardcore - but for somebody like me who just want to look big and healty and not take any steroids I doubt it is extremly neccesary to have legs so wide that you can hardly walk anymore.

wes

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
  • What Dire Mishap Has Befallen Thee
« Reply #11 on: November 27, 2009, 03:40:20 AM »
I find this to be the best split to use:

Mon.-Quads,Hams,Calves
Tues.-Chest & Abs
Wed.-Back,Traps
Thurs.-Delts & Abs
Fri.-Biceps & Triceps
Sat.-Rest
Sun.-Rest

It works biggest bodyparts to smallest over the week.

Not good to work biceps before backday or triceps before chestday,plus my legs suck so I work them early in the week when I`m well rested and fresh.

kyomu

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
  • トホカミエミタメ ハラヒタマヒ キヨメタマフ
« Reply #12 on: November 27, 2009, 03:44:30 AM »
Yes. we have the recuperation problem unlike juicers.
So, its difficult to avoid overtraining.
I think the best way is cycling the intensity. Sometime, hyper intense,another time pumping only. Or even skip.

wes

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
« Reply #13 on: November 27, 2009, 04:00:17 AM »
Good advice Kyomu.

I train all out for two weeks,then I decrease intensity for a week or so.

Periodization is always a good idea.

myt1

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #14 on: November 27, 2009, 04:16:43 AM »
I consider Saturday the start of my split so...

Sat-Chest&Tris
Sun-Legs
Mon-Off
Tues-Back&bi's (if i still have the energy, if not move bi's to thursday)
Wed-Shoulders
Thurs-Cardio and abs only (Biceps and cardio if I didn't do them with back)
Fri-Off

What I like about this is that it gives me the flexability to have either a four OR five day split depending on how much rest I need, and it's structured as such that nothing effects another body part's workout.  What I mean by that, is that for me legs take a lot out of me even though I don't go balls to the wall on them anymore, hence the day off after.  Back done before shoulders so doing rear delts doesn't effect back workout.  If I do back and biceps together followed by a shoulder workout the next day I am wiped out, but I then have two days off from weights.  One becomes a cardio session 45-60 minutes and the other is a complete day off.  Sometimes I get bored/ stale so I'll throw in some different two week cycles of either four days on one off, push/pull/legs, or upper/lower&back/off/repeat.

In the end though, I always go back to the above split cuz it's worked best for me.

wes

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
« Reply #15 on: November 27, 2009, 04:26:29 AM »
I`ve done that one too bro,but I did Chest with biceps and back with triceps ala Dorian Yates.

cross-of-iron

• Getbig IV
  • TRIBALISMO BLANCO
« Reply #16 on: November 27, 2009, 04:28:18 AM »
I was training westside up until last week now it's back to dc.

Tue chest, delts, tri's
Thur quads, hams, bi's
Sat Back
Mon repeat
Cardio daily

As far as legs go I think people go overboard there's no need to totally trash them. If you're sore all week then
you're obviously not going to be fully recovered for your next leg session. Not only that but you need to take
the stress on your cns into consideration but I know when I was younger I'd do all the drop sets and exercise
after exercise telling myself only a real man has the heart to train like this meanwhile no real strength gains or
growth for that matter. People are stubborn (I know I am) and need to be real with themselves about strength
gains and stop making excuses about being natural and all this other non sense. Yes even a natural can make good
progress on their squats and deadlifts. If you've been training for 2-3 years and you're still squatting under 300lbs,
brother you need to make a change. Lets face it how many guys do you see squat 315? Well, I mean squat not do knee bends.

myt1

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #17 on: November 27, 2009, 04:52:34 AM »
I`ve done that one too bro,but I did Chest with biceps and back with triceps ala Dorian Yates.

Done that as well, but chest is my favorite thing to train so I go balls out.  My tri's grow ez my bi's don't so that's why I flipped it.  Another thing I like a lot is sometimes move shoulders to thursday, and then do this 3x a week arm workout to shock them that I got outta MM2K years ago. 

myt1

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #18 on: November 27, 2009, 05:01:53 AM »
I was training westside up until last week now it's back to dc.

As far as legs go I think people go overboard there's no need to totally trash them. .

Totally agree.  As stated in another thread I tore my ACL partially, and so I have been OVERLY cautious ever since.  Having opted to not have surgery and let it scar over I don't want to end up with a full tear and have to have surgery.  I am terrified of going under anesthesia for some reason.  Terrified!  lol  I haven't gone over 6 plates a side on presses for over a year and no more than 205x 12 on squats.  I do leg presses first always now so it's totally controlled and my last set is never less than something I can do for 15.  My legs aren't as hard as they used to be, and don't have the veins (which is mostly metabolism slowing vs. training) but they still are bigger than a lot of the twinks I see ego lifting 405 for a couple with shit form.

As I've gotten older, lost energy, encoutered injuries, and health probs I've learned that a lot of the things that we're told are musts really aren't.

Bobby

• Getbig V
  • is da lordes plan
« Reply #19 on: November 27, 2009, 05:02:27 AM »
Back a year ago when I was training in the evening and had more time I would do legs and abs in one day.

But I say it again I realy like to train one muslce groupd a day - and it works out.

Monday: Chest
Thuesday: Shoulders
Wednesday: Arms/Triceps
Thursday: Back
Friday: Legs

Take the weekend off

terrible, shoulders day after chest?? if i was you i would switch places with shoulders and back and legs and arms. avoid overlaps and allow enough recovery.
tank u jesus

Bobby

• Getbig V
  • is da lordes plan
« Reply #20 on: November 27, 2009, 05:06:09 AM »

Mon.-Quads,Hams,Calves
Tues.-Chest & Abs
Wed.-Back,Traps
Thurs.-Delts & Abs
Fri.-Biceps & Triceps
Sat.-Rest
Sun.-Rest

Not good to work biceps before backday or triceps before chestday,plus my legs suck so I work them early in the week when I`m well rested and fresh.

pretty good split except for the first day, that is fuckin murder, quads hams AND calves  :o
mine is quite similar but i do calves or hams with delts and no abs on that day.
tank u jesus

wes

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
« Reply #21 on: November 27, 2009, 05:15:21 AM »
Bobby,I used to do hams with delts also,but now I just started doing quads,hams,and light calves on Mon.,then calves again with more volume on shoulder day.

Bobby

• Getbig V
  • is da lordes plan
« Reply #22 on: November 27, 2009, 05:22:55 AM »
Bobby,I used to do hams with delts also,but now I just started doing quads,hams,and light calves on Mon.,then calves again with more volume on shoulder day.

Sounds good i know from experience the reluctance one can feel after quads to train more bodyparts, especially two. right now i'm doing quads and calves together.
tank u jesus

Swedish Viking

• Getbig IV
  • http://plunkan.blogspot.com/
« Reply #23 on: November 27, 2009, 05:55:20 AM »
I do two full bodies a week.  Then forearms, midsection, calves, and neck on two other days of the week.

tbombz

• Getbig V
  • Psalms 150
« Reply #24 on: November 27, 2009, 05:57:53 AM »

Mon.-Quads,Hams,Calves
Tues.-Chest & Abs
Wed.-Back,Traps
Thurs.-Delts & Abs
Fri.-Biceps & Triceps
Sat.-Rest
Sun.-Rest

thats a good split although i would train rear delts with back and put trraps with shoulders.