Author Topic: Survivor Series and Royal Rumble Anthology vol. 1  (Read 1679 times)

indie-lad

• Getbig IV
Survivor Series and Royal Rumble Anthology vol. 1
« on: November 28, 2009, 06:50:28 AM »
I just picked up this Survivor Series set vol. 1 1987-1992 and it's INCREDIBLE!! Forget the other volumes in this series because this is all you'll need. What an awesome time for wrestling and this was just such a fun event every Thanksgiving day. I even have the Royal Rumble Anthology vol. 1 1988-1991 which makes such a great companion to this dvd set. When I was a kid, these were the two events to watch! Forget anything Wrestlemania, these are the two to get.

For me, wrestling was at it's very best between 1982-1992, then things started to change and get more serious and less fun. Those 10 years are the epitome of what wrestling should be. The characters were great, it was fun for everyone, great commentating, action, and great story lines, like reading a comicbook or watching a Saturday morning cartoon!! Even my 5 year old daughter, who has no idea about wrestling has fun watching these. That could never happen today or any other period of wrestling after 1992.

I recommend these to any fan of wrestling!

Hulkster

• Getbig V
  • ND ran away from me
Re: Survivor Series and Royal Rumble Anthology vol. 1
« Reply #1 on: November 28, 2009, 07:53:47 PM »
I agree. the Royal Rumble match from 1990 was probably the most fun to watch match I have ever seen.

so many cool things - the mini "tag match" between dibiase/savage and jake/piper at the beginning, hogan-warrior near the end etc.

just great to watch.
Flower Boy Ran Away

indie-lad

• Getbig IV
« Reply #2 on: November 29, 2009, 01:11:24 AM »
I gotta go with the Royal Rumble 1992 as the greatest ever. Ric Flair enters at number 3 and goes on to win the WWF world title. But what also made this so interesting was the match ups and participants. Hulk Hogan, Kerry Von Erich, Roddy Piper, Undertaker, Sid Justice, etc. the talent was never higher! It was a classic especially for a fan of the 80's. The only problem was that the Road Warriors (LOD) fought the Natural Disasters on that card and they would have been awesome in the Royal Rumble match and it would have been awesome to see them fight Flair.

And the Survivor Series of 1990 team of the Warriors was the greatest ever! You had the Ultimate Warrior, The Road Warriors, and the Modern Day Warrior Kerry Von Erich all on the same team. Once again, for a fan of the 80's, this was a team that dreams were made of.

Hulkster

• Getbig V
  • ND ran away from me
« Reply #3 on: November 29, 2009, 07:27:45 AM »
I liked how the winners in the 91 survivor series went on to participate in a final match.

but they had to do fan favorites vs heels so it was hogan warrior and tito against a million other guys LOL

and hogan and warrior were the sole winners.
Flower Boy Ran Away

Hulkster

• Getbig V
  • ND ran away from me
« Reply #4 on: November 29, 2009, 11:39:17 AM »
true, but that savage flair match was AMAZING

the hogan flair match like would not have been as good, but, like Hogan Andre, was what everyone wanted to see..
Flower Boy Ran Away

Playboy

• Getbig V
  • If the bar ain't bending, you're just pretending
« Reply #5 on: November 30, 2009, 04:39:16 AM »
I gotta go with the Royal Rumble 1992 as the greatest ever. Ric Flair enters at number 3 and goes on to win the WWF world title. But what also made this so interesting was the match ups and participants. Hulk Hogan, Kerry Von Erich, Roddy Piper, Undertaker, Sid Justice, etc. the talent was never higher! It was a classic especially for a fan of the 80's. The only problem was that the Road Warriors (LOD) fought the Natural Disasters on that card and they would have been awesome in the Royal Rumble match and it would have been awesome to see them fight Flair.

And the Survivor Series of 1990 team of the Warriors was the greatest ever! You had the Ultimate Warrior, The Road Warriors, and the Modern Day Warrior Kerry Von Erich all on the same team. Once again, for a fan of the 80's, this was a team that dreams were made of.
I agree with you. This was also a period when WWE had all the big names. That rumble had Hogan, Flair, Savage, Undertaker, Sid, etc. No one really knew who would win.

indie-lad

• Getbig IV
« Reply #6 on: December 19, 2009, 03:05:23 AM »
Another great DVD pick up I just got was the best of Saturday Nights Main Event. This is another great collection of matches from the best years of wrestling. The only thing is that a bunch of contemporary wrestlers comment on it and I have no clue to who they are. What do I care what a lame idiot like C.M. Punk has to say, give me the classic guys who were their!!!!

BTW, I hate wrestling today!!