Author Topic: Dear Abby Cools Off Snooty Mom About MLM  (Read 3792 times)

24KT

• Getbig V
  • Gold Savings Account Rep +1 (310) 409-2244
Dear Abby Cools Off Snooty Mom About MLM
« on: November 30, 2009, 08:34:35 AM »
DEAR ABBY COOLS OFF SNOOTY MOM ABOUT MLM

Nov 2009: Recently Dear Abby got a complaining letter from a woman about her daughter joining a “direct sales company.”  The mother was whining about feeling she was betraying her friends if she invited them to a home party given by her daughter.  Her friends might feel “obligated” to buy something!  Terrible!

DEAR ABBY's COME BACK WITH (AND I QUOTE)

DEAR IN A SPOT: Direct sales companies are rapidly expanding their forces these days, in light of the recession. And many people regard it as an attractive opportunity to replace lost income or hedge against job loss. According to USA Today, there are now roughly 15 million direct sellers in the United States. "

ABBY GOES ON TO SAY

“With all that "partying" going on -- the objective of which is to sell,  -- many people have wised up to the fact they are promotional rather than social in nature and refuse the invitations. I see nothing wrong with inviting your friends, as long as they understand, in advance, the purpose of the party as well as the fact that you won't be personally offended if they do not choose to participate.”
w

tonymctones

• Getbig V
Re: Dear Abby Cools Off Snooty Mom About MLM
« Reply #1 on: November 30, 2009, 09:15:07 AM »
I dont think she was being snooty at all I think that was a legit concern to somebody who has manners and doesnt feel like forcing things on others.

Abby's response was right on though, she should be fine as long as she makes it known what the party is really for.

I think your bias got the better of you here jag

loco

• Getbig V
  • loco like a fox
« Reply #2 on: November 30, 2009, 11:32:44 AM »
I think the mother has legitimate concerns.

Jag,
Nice way to sneak in MLM advertising in this board! 

drkaje

• Getbig V
  • Quiet, Err. I'm transmitting rage.
« Reply #3 on: November 30, 2009, 04:27:55 PM »
Abby should have been more brutal.

24KT

• Getbig V
« Reply #4 on: November 30, 2009, 04:53:32 PM »
I think the mother has legitimate concerns.

Jag,
Nice way to sneak in MLM advertising in this board! 

Loco, this isn't the place for snide remarks or cheap pot shots, no matter how politely worded.
w

24KT

• Getbig V
« Reply #5 on: November 30, 2009, 05:18:52 PM »
I dont think she was being snooty at all I think that was a legit concern to somebody who has manners and doesnt feel like forcing things on others.

How would she be forcing something on them? Their presence is not required. It's an invitation, not a command.
They are perfectly free to decline the invitation to attend, and while there, they are perfectly free to choose not to purchase anything... just like when stores at the mall announce a big sale and invite people to come take a look. Did anyone feel "obligated" to buy the big screen TV's Walmart advertised last Friday? Let's get real here. lol

Abby's response was right on though, she should be fine as long as she makes it known what the party is really for.

I think your bias got the better of you here jag

No, not at all. The jest of the mother's position was tidily summarized, and she was being ridiculous.

If her daughter opened a restaurant or a pizza parlour, ...would the mother keep it a secret too? Would she refrain from inviting her friends to the grand opening of the restaurant... for fear they may feel "obligated" to eat something? If her daughter was getting married, would she refrain from inviting her friends for fear they would feel "obligated" to buy her daughter a wedding present?  In this day & age, anyone who doesn't understand the purposes of a direct sales home party, has been living under a rock. In which case, they need the invitation all the more. Does this mother break out in hives or a cold sweat when she visits a shopping mall? Does she feel "obligated" to buy every item in every store? The way I see it, the only one with an "obligatioin" here is the mother. She is obligated to support both her daughter AND her friends. By that, I mean she should be supportive of her daughter's business efforts, and be supportive of her friends, by not keeping it a secret. If she is old enough to have a daughter who is old enough to join a direct sales business, ...I think it's safe to assume her circle of friends are not precocious 6 or 7 yr olds. Who is she to make their decisions for them? She should extend the invitation, and allow them to decide for themselves. They may infact 'thank her' for letting them know about these great products that are now available for them. Some may even see an opportunity for themselves and choose to join the business... and it could possibly change their lives.  

My friend Scott owns 2 traditional businesses. Because of the economy as well as seasonal factors, business was very slow, but his overhead remained and his employees still needed to get paid. My other friend Bob invited Scott to take a look at a direct sales business in September. He did. He liked what he saw, and he grabbed a hold of it with gusto. He has made over 6 figures with it, in his first 10 weeks. Bob himself, has made over $200,000 in his first 90 days alone. What kind of a friend would Bob be, if he hadn't shared with Scott the amazing vehicle he had found? If you're dealing with adults, treat them like adults. Share the information, ...then get out of the way.

Abby should have been more brutal.

I completely agree with you. She should have been carved a new orifice.
w

brooklynbruiser

• Getbig IV
« Reply #6 on: November 30, 2009, 08:37:47 PM »
Perhaps you have more scruples than many of the MLMers I've met. If that is the case, I commend you. Generally, everything that came out of their mouths were angles to get me to buy Noni juice, Symmetry, Pre-Paod Legal, or any number of Quixtar products. It varied from hard-sell to hard soft-selling. Ugh.
Almost always, yes.

tonymctones

• Getbig V
« Reply #7 on: November 30, 2009, 09:46:42 PM »
How would she be forcing something on them? Their presence is not required. It's an invitation, not a command.
They are perfectly free to decline the invitation to attend, and while there, they are perfectly free to choose not to purchase anything... just like when stores at the mall announce a big sale and invite people to come take a look. Did anyone feel "obligated" to buy the big screen TV's Walmart advertised last Friday? Let's get real here. lol
My whole point was jag that she will be ok if she lets her friends know what the party is for if they decide to attend after being informed then thats fine.

If she didnt inform them of the purpose of the party then it would be a forced awkward situation, sorry if you dont have the social graces to understand that. If they didnt know what kind of party it was why would they decline the invitation?

You go to the store or mall in expectation to see things you may want to purchase, you do not go to friends houses with that expectation unless you are told so.

youre missing the point here jag if her daughter opened a restaurant it would be implied that they might want to eat something.

If you simply invite your friends over and then spring food you want to sell on them they will feel pressured.

Some ppl also dont like pressuring friends into buying things, her friends may feel obligated to buy products from her daughter for the sake of their friendship, again sorry if you dont have the social graces to understand that concern.

maybe she did whine and complain but from what youve posted it was a legit concern.

loco

• Getbig V
  • loco like a fox
« Reply #8 on: December 01, 2009, 09:13:36 AM »
Loco, this isn't the place for snide remarks or cheap pot shots, no matter how politely worded.

Dear jag,
Please be kind and take your MLM advertising, no matter how sneaky, to the business board!  Thank you!

garebear

• Time Out
  • Getbig V
  • Never question my instincts.
« Reply #9 on: December 01, 2009, 10:18:07 AM »
I got a plan to bust Tiger out of prison.
G

Princess L

• Getbig V
  • I stop for turtles
« Reply #10 on: December 01, 2009, 10:44:55 AM »
Without seeing the entire first letter, I am going to speculate that the type of "party" was more along the lines of a Tupperware party and not a MLM "scheme".  There are numerous home shopping parties out there - Pampered Chef, Lia Sophia, Silpada, purse parties, wine parties, intimate toy parties, you name it.  We all know what they are and we all know the hostess gets kickbacks and the "demonstrator" makes money.  Most of the time the invitations are provided, so the recipient knows what the party is for.  Pressure to purchase is usually self-induced.

A MLM recruitment party  :-\ now that's a different story.
:

~flower~

• Getbig IV
  • D/s
« Reply #11 on: December 01, 2009, 10:49:57 AM »
I don't the the Mom was "snooty".  Hard to tell without seeing the actual letter, was she actually complaining and "whining" in it?  :-\

~flower~

• Getbig IV
  • D/s
« Reply #12 on: December 01, 2009, 10:53:03 AM »
The actual letter and response.  Jag I am really surprised you chose to summarize in your own words the mother's letter and not just post it.     :-\

Mom Balks At Daughter's Plan To Host A Direct-Sale Party (Dear Abby)
Mon, 08/17/2009 - 09:07 — admin

DEAR ABBY: My daughter, "Amelia," recently joined the ranks of a "direct sales force." She has asked me to make arrangements so she can present her products to my circle of friends. I love Amelia beyond words and would do anything to support her, but I told her that in this instance I felt I would be betraying my friends by "using" their friendship.

In my opinion, hosting a "party" for the purpose of selling makes the invitees feel obligated to buy something whether they need it or not. I told Amelia I don't want to put my friends in that position. My daughter took immediate offense and told me I was way off-base because attendees are "free to purchase products -- or not -- as they choose." In other words, I'm the one with the hang-up and it isn't necessarily shared by others.

It upsets me terribly that my daughter is now angry and thinks I have abandoned her because I'm uncomfortable supporting this effort. She has another successful career, so this venture is not a matter of financial life or death to her. What should I do? -- IN A TOUGH SPOT IN ILLINOIS

DEAR IN A SPOT: Direct sales companies are rapidly expanding their forces these days, in light of the recession. And many people regard it as an attractive opportunity to replace lost income or hedge against job loss. According to USA Today, there are now roughly 15 million direct sellers in the United States.

With all that "partying" going on -- the objective of which is to sell, sell, sell -- many people have wised up to the fact they are promotional rather than social in nature and refuse the invitations. I see nothing wrong with inviting your friends, as long as they understand, in advance, the purpose of the party as well as the fact that you won't be personally offended if they do not choose to participate.

~flower~

• Getbig IV
  • D/s
« Reply #13 on: December 01, 2009, 10:58:21 AM »
Now reading the actual letter I don't see the mother "whining".   Just like it is up to people to chose whether to attend and also to purchase at these parties, it is also up to the mother to decide not to host a party where she is inviting HER friends.    Note Abby's comment (bold my addition):

"I see nothing wrong with inviting your friends"

The mother does not have to have a party if she does not feel comfortable doing it.

24KT

• Getbig V
« Reply #14 on: December 01, 2009, 08:58:10 PM »
Perhaps you have more scruples than many of the MLMers I've met. If that is the case, I commend you. Generally, everything that came out of their mouths were angles to get me to buy Noni juice, Symmetry, Pre-Paod Legal, or any number of Quixtar products. It varied from hard-sell to hard soft-selling. Ugh.

Absolutely I have scruples!

One could never last 1 year, let alone 19 years in an industry like MLM without scruples and integrity.

It's a very small world. The challenge isn't the industry itself, but rather the people in it. It's not for everyone, and due to the nature of many compensation plans, there are certain personality types who are able to withstand the rigueurs. C. Edward Demmings once wrote nothing will impact your finances more than the mechanism by which you are paid, and it's true. The compensation plan of a company will always drive the behaviour in the field, and will naturally resonate with one of the 4 basic personality types. Certain personality types are drivers who can take constant rejection, get back up on the horse and do it all over again. They thrive on the challenges posed by MLM. They also only represent 15% of the population, but seem to dominate the leadership ranks of MLMs. Infact, they dominate the leadership ranks of most industries. They are what we call the 'Red' personality type and they naturally attract other Reds. As a result, you have an industry full of Reds. Interestingly enough, each company you mentioned, employs a comp plan that only appeals to the Red personality. Only the Reds have the intestinal fortitude to manuever and jump through all the hoops in those comp plans. As a result, you get a very pushy, aggressive hard sell.

The remaining 85% of the population HATES to be sold, ...but they LOVE to buy. The only ones that like to be sold are REDS. They expect it. They'll say...'Go ahead, give it your best shot.' Then they'll rate you on how well you did. They expect to be closed. It turns off everyone else though. The compensation plans demand sales, so as a result, only reds can hack it, ..and they sell to other REDS who repeat the cycle. The rest drop out or have a very difficult experience with those types of comp plans.

Then there are the comp plans that appeal to the BLUE personality types. Companies that work on the party plan approach naturally resonate with the BLUE personality types. They LOVE the social aspect of the business, and love to have fun... whether they make any money or not. But BLUES are fickle, and they will jump in and jump out the next day. It's hard to build and grow a sales force with such a rapid turnover.

Then there are the comp plans that appeal to the YELLOW personality types, ...the nurturers, the care givers etc. Problem is, ...they're so busy nurturing and caring for everyone, no one is making sales, ...but they're feeling loved.  :P

Then there are those comp plans that appeal to the GREEN personality types, ...the engineers. These plans are so complicated that it takes an engineering degree to figure them out. All but the GREENS walk away from them. Trouble is, ...by the time the GREENS figure out exactly how it works, ...they're too exhausted to do anything with it. As a result... analysis paralysis sets in.

This inevitably leads to an industry dominated by RED personality types... the CEOs, movers, shakers, lawyers etc., who have neither the time, nor patience to dither, nurture, coddle or putz around. They want to get straight down to business... hence the hard sell.

It's been a challenge over the years to design a comp plan that meets the needs of all people. If you make it too easy to access the big money, you don't attract the RED movers & shakers who drive the business. If you make it too hard to access the big money, ...all you get are REDS and a whole bunch of discouraged BLUES & YELLOW who drop out. As for the GREENS ...well they're not discouraged yet, ...cause they haven't even started yet, ...they're still analyzing the pay plan.  :D

Then there is one of the biggest challenges... how do you market the product without insulting your prospects?
Products that have traditionally done well often fall within the realm of skin care, nutrition, or weight loss. Have you ever seen someone sorely in need of losing weight? How do you tell them about this great weight loss product you're selling without insulting them? How do you tell your friend with all the wrinkles that s/he really needs your skin care product to take at least 10 yrs off their face? Those are dangerous waters to navigate. lol.

The business side isn't for everyone, ...but the products and services offered by the industry are for everyone at some point in their lives. Some companies have a better offering than others both product wise and opportunity wise. If you find a company with a product offering that can appeal to a mass market, one that is easily understood that doesn't require marketers to become doctors or get medical degrees to explain it... one that doesn't require consumers to become researchers in order to understand the science behind it, ...is consumeable, and produces an emotional reaction, ...and a simple easy to understand and achieve compensation plan that can resonate with all 4 basic personality types,  ...you will have found yourself a winner.  Here's where the real work will begin.

w

tonymctones

• Getbig V
« Reply #15 on: December 01, 2009, 09:05:53 PM »
The actual letter and response.  Jag I am really surprised you chose to summarize in your own words the mother's letter and not just post it.     :-\

DEAR ABBY: My daughter, "Amelia," recently joined the ranks of a "direct sales force." She has asked me to make arrangements so she can present her products to my circle of friends. I love Amelia beyond words and would do anything to support her, but I told her that in this instance I felt I would be betraying my friends by "using" their friendship.

In my opinion, hosting a "party" for the purpose of selling makes the invitees feel obligated to buy something whether they need it or not. I told Amelia I don't want to put my friends in that position. My daughter took immediate offense and told me I was way off-base because attendees are "free to purchase products -- or not -- as they choose." In other words, I'm the one with the hang-up and it isn't necessarily shared by others.

It upsets me terribly that my daughter is now angry and thinks I have abandoned her because I'm uncomfortable supporting this effort. She has another successful career, so this venture is not a matter of financial life or death to her. What should I do? -- IN A TOUGH SPOT IN ILLINOIS

DEAR IN A SPOT: Direct sales companies are rapidly expanding their forces these days, in light of the recession. And many people regard it as an attractive opportunity to replace lost income or hedge against job loss. According to USA Today, there are now roughly 15 million direct sellers in the United States.

With all that "partying" going on -- the objective of which is to sell, sell, sell -- many people have wised up to the fact they are promotional rather than social in nature and refuse the invitations. I see nothing wrong with inviting your friends, as long as they understand, in advance, the purpose of the party as well as the fact that you won't be personally offended if they do not choose to participate.
jagalicious no wonder you get offended so easily babe, this is a legit concern and you turned it into "whining"

I think anybody with a hint of social grace would understand her concern whether you agree with it or not

24KT

• Getbig V
« Reply #16 on: December 01, 2009, 09:44:57 PM »
My whole point was jag that she will be ok if she lets her friends know what the party is for if they decide to attend after being informed then thats fine.

If she didnt inform them of the purpose of the party then it would be a forced awkward situation, sorry if you dont have the social graces to understand that. If they didnt know what kind of party it was why would they decline the invitation?

Tony, it's not that I lack the social graces to understand that. It's that it is completely inconceivable to me that someone would throw an MLM party, and not inform the invitees what kind of a party it is? What kind of an idiot does that? That wouldn't be a forced awkward situation, that would be a manipulative ambush, and you don't do that to friends. That's not what was being asked. If her mother had refused saying she didn't want to go through the hassle of entertaining, having to clean up after a party... that's one thing, and a very legit concern and position to take, but to deny her daughter and her friends is not very motherly or friendly IMO. I've always been for full informed consent. It's like those who say 'try the chicken ...you'll love it', knowing full well that it's not chicken, but infact rabbit. Then they say, 'I knew you'd love it, and that you wouldn't try it if you knew it was rabbit so I lied and said it was chicken just to get you to try it.' How dare they?  >:(

You go to the store or mall in expectation to see things you may want to purchase, you do not go to friends houses with that expectation unless you are told so.

You do go to friends houses with that expectation when you are invited to attend an MLM party.

youre missing the point here jag if her daughter opened a restaurant it would be implied that they might want to eat something.

If you simply invite your friends over and then spring food you want to sell on them they will feel pressured.

No Tony, YOU are missing the point. They are not being invited over for a birthday party, where it is implied they must bring a present ... they are not being invited over for a pool party, where it is implied they may want to take a dip, ...they are being invited over foran MLM party where it is clearly stated there will be products demonstrated and made available for sale.

Some ppl also dont like pressuring friends into buying things, her friends may feel obligated to buy products from her daughter for the sake of their friendship, again sorry if you dont have the social graces to understand that concern.

That is why you  extend an invitation to attend, ...not a demand for their presence, and they are perfectly free to decline the invitation and not attend the party. They are adults, allow them to make up their own minds. If they do choose to attend, they are also perfectly free to not make a purchase if they don't want to. Personally, I think that she should ask herself what kind of a "friend" she is, if she's concerned that her friends may feel that by not purchasing a $15 candle or a $30 face cream, it could severe a friendship. What kind of friendship is that? If I had a "friend" that I could lose over a $15 candle, ...I'd want to know who they were PRONTO! And I'd want an invite to their kids MLM party, ...attend, and not buy a thing. Those are the kinds of "friends" I'd want to discover sooner rather than later.

maybe she did whine and complain but from what youve posted it was a legit concern.

Only for those without the character, honesty, integrity, and sincerity for full disclosure upfront.
w

24KT

• Getbig V
« Reply #17 on: December 01, 2009, 09:48:49 PM »
Dear jag,
Please be kind and take your MLM advertising, no matter how sneaky, to the business board!  Thank you!

Like i said earlier Loco, this isn't the place for snide remarks or cheap pot shots, no matter how politely worded.
The name of this board is "Open Talk for Girl Discussion". If you don't like the subject of this thread, ...perhaps you ought not click on it.
w

garebear

• Time Out
  • Getbig V
  • Never question my instincts.
« Reply #18 on: December 02, 2009, 02:23:24 AM »
What is MLM? (no homo)
G

loco

• Getbig V
  • loco like a fox
« Reply #19 on: December 02, 2009, 03:52:55 AM »
What is MLM? (no homo)

Multi-Level Marketing scams.

loco

• Getbig V
  • loco like a fox
« Reply #20 on: December 02, 2009, 03:53:39 AM »

Jag OWNED by flower.  Go flower!   ;D

loco

• Getbig V
  • loco like a fox
« Reply #21 on: December 02, 2009, 03:55:00 AM »
Absolutely I have scruples!

One could never last 1 year, let alone 19 years in an industry like MLM without scruples and integrity.

It's a very small world. The challenge isn't the industry itself, but rather the people in it. It's not for everyone, and due to the nature of many compensation plans, there are certain personality types who are able to withstand the rigueurs. C. Edward Demmings once wrote nothing will impact your finances more than the mechanism by which you are paid, and it's true. The compensation plan of a company will always drive the behaviour in the field, and will naturally resonate with one of the 4 basic personality types. Certain personality types are drivers who can take constant rejection, get back up on the horse and do it all over again. They thrive on the challenges posed by MLM. They also only represent 15% of the population, but seem to dominate the leadership ranks of MLMs. Infact, they dominate the leadership ranks of most industries. They are what we call the 'Red' personality type and they naturally attract other Reds. As a result, you have an industry full of Reds. Interestingly enough, each company you mentioned, employs a comp plan that only appeals to the Red personality. Only the Reds have the intestinal fortitude to manuever and jump through all the hoops in those comp plans. As a result, you get a very pushy, aggressive hard sell.

The remaining 85% of the population HATES to be sold, ...but they LOVE to buy. The only ones that like to be sold are REDS. They expect it. They'll say...'Go ahead, give it your best shot.' Then they'll rate you on how well you did. They expect to be closed. It turns off everyone else though. The compensation plans demand sales, so as a result, only reds can hack it, ..and they sell to other REDS who repeat the cycle. The rest drop out or have a very difficult experience with those types of comp plans.

Then there are the comp plans that appeal to the BLUE personality types. Companies that work on the party plan approach naturally resonate with the BLUE personality types. They LOVE the social aspect of the business, and love to have fun... whether they make any money or not. But BLUES are fickle, and they will jump in and jump out the next day. It's hard to build and grow a sales force with such a rapid turnover.

Then there are the comp plans that appeal to the YELLOW personality types, ...the nurturers, the care givers etc. Problem is, ...they're so busy nurturing and caring for everyone, no one is making sales, ...but they're feeling loved.  :P

Then there are those comp plans that appeal to the GREEN personality types, ...the engineers. These plans are so complicated that it takes an engineering degree to figure them out. All but the GREENS walk away from them. Trouble is, ...by the time the GREENS figure out exactly how it works, ...they're too exhausted to do anything with it. As a result... analysis paralysis sets in.

This inevitably leads to an industry dominated by RED personality types... the CEOs, movers, shakers, lawyers etc., who have neither the time, nor patience to dither, nurture, coddle or putz around. They want to get straight down to business... hence the hard sell.

It's been a challenge over the years to design a comp plan that meets the needs of all people. If you make it too easy to access the big money, you don't attract the RED movers & shakers who drive the business. If you make it too hard to access the big money, ...all you get are REDS and a whole bunch of discouraged BLUES & YELLOW who drop out. As for the GREENS ...well they're not discouraged yet, ...cause they haven't even started yet, ...they're still analyzing the pay plan.  :D

Then there is one of the biggest challenges... how do you market the product without insulting your prospects?
Products that have traditionally done well often fall within the realm of skin care, nutrition, or weight loss. Have you ever seen someone sorely in need of losing weight? How do you tell them about this great weight loss product you're selling without insulting them? How do you tell your friend with all the wrinkles that s/he really needs your skin care product to take at least 10 yrs off their face? Those are dangerous waters to navigate. lol.

The business side isn't for everyone, ...but the products and services offered by the industry are for everyone at some point in their lives. Some companies have a better offering than others both product wise and opportunity wise. If you find a company with a product offering that can appeal to a mass market, one that is easily understood that doesn't require marketers to become doctors or get medical degrees to explain it... one that doesn't require consumers to become researchers in order to understand the science behind it, ...is consumeable, and produces an emotional reaction, ...and a simple easy to understand and achieve compensation plan that can resonate with all 4 basic personality types,  ...you will have found yourself a winner.  Here's where the real work will begin.

::)

loco

• Getbig V
  • loco like a fox
« Reply #22 on: December 02, 2009, 03:57:32 AM »
Like i said earlier Loco, this isn't the place for snide remarks or cheap pot shots, no matter how politely worded.
The name of this board is "Open Talk for Girl Discussion". If you don't like the subject of this thread, ...perhaps you ought not click on it.

Like you said, dear Jag, the name of this board is "Open Talk for Girl Discussion."  So please be kind and take your Multi-Level Marketing scam advertising to the business board! Thank you very much, and have a nice day!

brooklynbruiser

• Getbig IV
« Reply #23 on: December 02, 2009, 01:57:34 PM »
Although the sentiment was generally the same, the paraphrasing was slightly misleading.
Almost always, yes.

drkaje

• Getbig V
  • Quiet, Err. I'm transmitting rage.
« Reply #24 on: December 02, 2009, 03:30:52 PM »