Author Topic: Dem. Senator warns Obama not enter into any agreements in Copenhagen.  (Read 1305 times)

Soul Crusher

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
  • Doesnt lie about lifting.
www.thehill.com
Webb warns Obama on Copenhagen trip
By Michael O'Brien - 12/01/09 12:14 PM ET

________________________ ___________________

President Barack Obama should be wary of committing the U.S. to any binding climate standards at a global conference this month without congressional input, one senator warned.

Sen. Jim Webb (D-Va.) sent a letter to the president late last week warning Obama against agreeing to any binding climate change agreement during a conference in Copenhagen, Denmark this month.

"I would like to express my concern regarding reports that the Administration may believe it has the unilateral power to commit the government of the United States to certain standards that may be agreed upon at the upcoming [conference]," Webb wrote to Obama.

"Although details have not been made available, recent statements by Special Envoy on Climate Change Todd Stern indicate that negotiators may be intending to commit the United States to a nationwide emission reduction program," Webb added. "As you well know from your time in the Senate, only specific legislation agreed upon in the Congress, or a treaty ratified by the Senate, could actually create such a commitment on behalf of our country."

The Virginia senator has long been a proponent of asserting the role for Congress in assenting to international agreements, and had advanced similar arguments in the Bush administration, during President Geroge W. Bush's work on the Iraq Security Agreements.

World leaders will gather in Copenhagen to hash out details and move toward a global protocol to address global warming challenges. Lawmakers have not been able to act to move their own climate bills through Congress in the run-up to the conference.

________________________ _______________________

Webb knows the writing is on the wall for this disaster. 

shootfighter1

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
  • Competitor- NABBA Nationals Overall Champ
Re: Dem. Senator warns Obama not enter into any agreements in Copenhagen.
« Reply #1 on: December 01, 2009, 05:41:59 PM »
Good, for the sake of our economy, I hope he listens.

the_steevo_uk

• Getbig III
  • Getbig!
« Reply #2 on: December 01, 2009, 05:48:23 PM »
Good, for the sake of our economy, I hope he listens.

That sentance is in a nutshell why the entire world pretty much blames america for global warming. Put it this way if he doesn't sign anything making even the vaguest of commitments there are going to be some pretty pissed off people, the only people who wont be are Russia and China...so USA is in a lose lose situation no matter what on this one, I dont envy whoever is going to have to take this decision one bit.

Soul Crusher

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
« Reply #3 on: December 02, 2009, 05:32:59 AM »
That sentance is in a nutshell why the entire world pretty much blames america for global warming. Put it this way if he doesn't sign anything making even the vaguest of commitments there are going to be some pretty pissed off people, the only people who wont be are Russia and China...so USA is in a lose lose situation no matter what on this one, I dont envy whoever is going to have to take this decision one bit.

1.  Global Warming is a lie.

2.  People need jobs and an ability to pay for their families.  Putting people in tents and letting them sit by candlelight is not going to work. 

3.  Russia and China are not going alone with this madness, because that is what it is, madness.  The eart is Billions of years old, we have been here for maybe 40,000 years or so, and only have been burning fossil fuels for 185 years or so.  Are we that arogant as to believe that we have the ability to destroy or save the earth? 

4. If I were Obama, i would say, people can live with more CO2, they cant live without food or employment. 

240 is Back

• Getbig V
  • Complete website for only $300- www.300website.com
« Reply #4 on: December 02, 2009, 06:33:45 AM »
of course cap/trade is BS.

and obama still might just get it passed, right or wrong.

Soul Crusher

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
« Reply #5 on: December 02, 2009, 06:36:11 AM »
Hey 240 - we have never met, but this is what it would probably sound like. 

I have a more bronx accent, but this is a queens accent. 

240 is Back

• Getbig V
« Reply #6 on: December 02, 2009, 06:39:38 AM »
LOL!

I pictured you shaking the camera and spitting more in such a clip!

James

« Reply #7 on: December 02, 2009, 06:42:31 AM »

Soul Crusher

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
« Reply #8 on: December 02, 2009, 06:52:00 AM »
240 - this is exactly like how myself and 95% of my buddies sound like. 

240 is Back

• Getbig V
« Reply #9 on: December 02, 2009, 06:55:49 AM »
lol... we're way lazier in florida.  most people don't get so worked up, unless they're guests on jerry springer.

Soul Crusher

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
« Reply #10 on: December 02, 2009, 06:57:36 AM »
lol... we're way lazier in florida.  most people don't get so worked up, unless they're guests on jerry springer.

Ha ha.  i am used to racing at 100 mph.